Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2019, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Can't Sleep

You know those nights where you just can't sleep?

You know, those times where falling asleep, or staying asleep just don't happen?

What do you do on those nights? Do you stay in bed, or get up? Do you count sheep?

And, if you've found a tried & true way to get/stay asleep, please share!!
Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh... I've had way too many of those lately! Thankfully, my doctor gave me a pill for that. But, once I'm recovered from the exhaustion of my recent trip, I want to stop using the meds.
Even with the medication, I still have times where sleep just isn't going to happen!
I'm a reader, which can be a double-edged sword. Sometimes I can read until my eyes just won't stay open. Sometimes, it's like I just don't want to stop reading because I'm so into the book!
When I was little, my mom told me to count backwards from 500. I still do that sometimes.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's me. I lie there frustrated for hours until I finally give up and like a zombie try to get stuff done quietly around the house or scrap exhaustedly.

BUT thanks to my dear friend Anita I'm finally finally sleeping well for the first time in about 15 years because she convinced me to juice celery. How crazy is that? I loathe celery! But the juice doesn't taste spicy like the actual vegetable so I can handle it. I juice one bunch of celery every morning like clockwork, before I eat or drink anything (and wait at least 15 minutes before eating breakfast) and I can finally finally sleep w/o melatonin or sleep aids! It sounds crazy and the cashiers at Sam's club laugh at me when I buy 10 bags of celery at a time but I don't care b/c I'm finally not a zombie anymore!
Old 04-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Keep a journal or notebook on your night stand for those last minute though so you can write them down and forget about them until the morning. When you've got that issue out of the way, try some bedtime yoga to just get a proper strech before going to bed. The smell of lavender is supposed to promote good sleep so perhaps a hand lotion with lavender in it?
Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard about the celery juicing. Haven't looked into why that is supposed to work.

I never sleep thru the night but I do sleep better than I used to and can fall asleep again much sooner than before. What works for me is what you're not supposed to do, according to what I've read from all the experts on the subject.

I turn the TV on, set the timer for a few hrs or just leave it on all night. I turn the volume on low, just high enough to hear what is being said, just barely. Then I lay there with my eyes closed and listen to the TV (its important to pick something that won't hold your interest enough to keep you awake, I usually put on the food channel or an old sitcom).

Then I working onI relaxing my body, starting at my feet and focus on feeling each part of my body, feeling it relaxing, sinking into the bed. It's an old meditative method taught to me by a yoga instructor many years ago. I can generally fall back asleep really quickly now.

I used to try to relax with no noise but it doesn't work for me. I do better with the tv on.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I've heard about the celery juicing. Haven't looked into why that is supposed to work.
I'm not sure how it works either? I just figured it couldn't hurt to try. It's celery right? Not like a pill or something.

I also forgot to add that I always sleep with a noisy old box fan too. It has to be THAT one too b/c I bought one for my daughter and I can't sleep with hers. (although I haven't tried it post celery juice). I need some noise but not too much b/c I otherwise focus on finding a pattern or the storyline in a movie/song etc.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Usually I read until I fall back asleep. A handful of times I've gotten up and done chores (like taxes).
Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
That's me. I lie there frustrated for hours until I finally give up and like a zombie try to get stuff done quietly around the house or scrap exhaustedly.

BUT thanks to my dear friend Anita I'm finally finally sleeping well for the first time in about 15 years because she convinced me to juice celery. How crazy is that? I loathe celery! But the juice doesn't taste spicy like the actual vegetable so I can handle it. I juice one bunch of celery every morning like clockwork, before I eat or drink anything (and wait at least 15 minutes before eating breakfast) and I can finally finally sleep w/o melatonin or sleep aids! It sounds crazy and the cashiers at Sam's club laugh at me when I buy 10 bags of celery at a time but I don't care b/c I'm finally not a zombie anymore!
I haven't been brave enough to try this... LOL! It just sounds really gross How many celery stalks do you juice each day?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I haven't been brave enough to try this... LOL! It just sounds really gross How many celery stalks do you juice each day?
I HATE celery and this is tolerable. I drink it while I'm cleaning the juicer which is the worst part about it all. LOL! Anyway, I juice one bunch (around 12 or 13 single stalks) to get 8 oz of celery juice. I know Anita drinks 16 oz or more per day but 8oz is enough to help me sleep so I leave it at that!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
Keep a journal or notebook on your night stand for those last minute though so you can write them down and forget about them until the morning. When you've got that issue out of the way, try some bedtime yoga to just get a proper strech before going to bed. The smell of lavender is supposed to promote good sleep so perhaps a hand lotion with lavender in it?
Thanks for the suggestions, Christine! I have tried lavender and other essential oils. They do help some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post

I never sleep thru the night but I do sleep better than I used to and can fall asleep again much sooner than before. What works for me is what you're not supposed to do, according to what I've read from all the experts on the subject.

I turn the TV on, set the timer for a few hrs or just leave it on all night. I turn the volume on low, just high enough to hear what is being said, just barely. Then I lay there with my eyes closed and listen to the TV (its important to pick something that won't hold your interest enough to keep you awake, I usually put on the food channel or an old sitcom).

Then I working onI relaxing my body, starting at my feet and focus on feeling each part of my body, feeling it relaxing, sinking into the bed. It's an old meditative method taught to me by a yoga instructor many years ago. I can generally fall back asleep really quickly now.

I used to try to relax with no noise but it doesn't work for me. I do better with the tv on.
Oh, wow! I could never keep the TV on. I wouldn't sleep. My hubby could, but I'm awake until he turns it off. I need complete darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Usually I read until I fall back asleep. A handful of times I've gotten up and done chores (like taxes).
Reading is my go-to, but it doesn't work when I get engrossed in the book
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have lots of sleep issues lately but I've read it's normal given hormone fluctuations perimenopause offers. It's not fun at all! I sometimes lie there, sometimes read until I can't keep my eyes open (sometimes several times a night) and occasionally go somewhere else to see if the change of scenery helps. I do try thinking of nothing (the word sleep) and relaxing each portion of my body but start at my head. I might have to try the celery juice - though I don't have a juicer!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I HATE celery and this is tolerable. I drink it while I'm cleaning the juicer which is the worst part about it all. LOL! Anyway, I juice one bunch (around 12 or 13 single stalks) to get 8 oz of celery juice. I know Anita drinks 16 oz or more per day but 8oz is enough to help me sleep so I leave it at that!
Thanks, Cassie!
I may have to get our juicer out of mothballs and give it a try!
How long do you think it took before you were sleeping well?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Thanks, Cassie!
I may have to get our juicer out of mothballs and give it a try!
How long do you think it took before you were sleeping well?
I noticed an immediate difference. I can't recall if it was the first night or the second but it was almost laughable how easily I fell asleep. For the record I'm positive it's not a placebo effect or all in my head. I've never been able to fool myself no matter how I've tried. Lol...

I will add though that the first day was rough on the tummy, just an FYI. Lol... I stayed near the bathroom because it cleans out the pipes if you know what I mean. Sorry, TMI! But after the first day I was just fine and it didn't bother my stomach at all anymore.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I have lots of sleep issues lately but I've read it's normal given hormone fluctuations perimenopause offers. It's not fun at all! I sometimes lie there, sometimes read until I can't keep my eyes open (sometimes several times a night) and occasionally go somewhere else to see if the change of scenery helps. I do try thinking of nothing (the word sleep) and relaxing each portion of my body but start at my head. I might have to try the celery juice - though I don't have a juicer!
It might be worth getting a juicer if it works as well as it did for Cassie!! I'll go get some celery soon and give it a try. I'll keep you posted, Cindi!

Quote:
I noticed an immediate difference. I can't recall if it was the first night or the second but it was almost laughable how easily I fell asleep. For the record I'm positive it's not a placebo effect or all in my head. I've never been able to fool myself no matter how I've tried. Lol...

I will add though that the first day was rough on the tummy, just an FYI. Lol... I stayed near the bathroom because it cleans out the pipes if you know what I mean. Sorry, TMI! But after the first day I was just fine and it didn't bother my stomach at all anymore.
I just googled a bit about it & it sounds like it helps with hydration & electrolytes, but I'm not sure why that would help with sleep.
It also said that it's high in magnesium, sodium and potassium, so it's a natural diuretic. The magnesium helps with constipation.

I honestly never thought celery was any use except to add crunch to salads. LOL!!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I sleep pretty good most of the times, but there are times when it frustrates me to fall asleep. So I just lay there, let my brain runs its course no matter how chaotic it is and/or listen to the music.
I am not one who takes sleeping aids, so I just live with it, since it doesn't happen often.
I am interested in trying the celery juice, though, for health reason. I might take the plunge and try next week when the veggie guy comes around.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Funny timing for this topic...I just finished a kit about this...it makes me crazy when I am exhausted but my mind just can't turn off! No ideas here, just sympathy, I feel your pain!!

Last edited by erica zane; 04-25-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate the can't sleep nights My mind is too full lately and it keeps me awake, not good when Thomas wakes up between 4.30 and 5.30am!

I do stay in bed though in case I wake others up, I generally turn the brightness right down on my phone and read of play my games to kill time, sometimes I'll listen to music as that gets me back to sleep faster.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I sleep pretty good most of the times, but there are times when it frustrates me to fall asleep. So I just lay there, let my brain runs its course no matter how chaotic it is and/or listen to the music.
I am not one who takes sleeping aids, so I just live with it, since it doesn't happen often.
I am interested in trying the celery juice, though, for health reason. I might take the plunge and try next week when the veggie guy comes around.
Wow!! I really wish I could say that, Sherly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica zane View Post
Funny timing for this topic...I just finished a kit about this...it makes me crazy when I am exhausted but my mind just can't turn off! No ideas here, just sympathy, I feel your pain!!
Seriously??!!! That's so awesome, Erica! I can't wait for it!
Maybe Cassie's celery juice would work for you? I'm going to give it a try...even if I have to hold my nose to get it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I hate the can't sleep nights My mind is too full lately and it keeps me awake, not good when Thomas wakes up between 4.30 and 5.30am!

I do stay in bed though in case I wake others up, I generally turn the brightness right down on my phone and read of play my games to kill time, sometimes I'll listen to music as that gets me back to sleep faster.
I feel for you, Gemma! I remember sleepless nights when my kids were young... talk about exhaustion!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm glad to be through with all the menopause stuff!! I'm sure you'll feel much better when it's done!
Old 04-25-2019, 03:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Popping back in to share a peek of Erica's kit because I know you guys are gonna want this one! I'll have another peek closer to release date with a look at all her fun, and totally applicable, journal cards!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Popping back in to share a peek of Erica's kit because I know you guys are gonna want this one! I'll have another peek closer to release date with a look at all her fun, and totally applicable, journal cards!

Thank you for sharing this, Cassie!! I'm so excited for it. LOL! It looks like is the perfect kit for this theme!!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love the kit! But never would have thought to scrap about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Love the kit! But never would have thought to scrap about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All about me, photo-less journal type pages are what comes to mind when I think of this topic BUT there are plenty of great pieces to this kit that it can be used for all sorts of pages! Erica did an amazing job with it!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to just stay in bed and lay there for hours.
In the past I have gotten up to scrapbook in the middle of the night, hoping I could go back to sleep but who am I kidding... that screen is just a sleep killer.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I tend to just stay in bed and lay there for hours.
In the past I have gotten up to scrapbook in the middle of the night, hoping I could go back to sleep but who am I kidding... that screen is just a sleep killer.
I hate to say it, but you're definitely in for more sleepless nights coming up I hope Leonie gets on a good sleep schedule easily when you get her home!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm back with another look at Erica's Awake All Night kit! Look at her adorable illustrations and those all-too-accurate journal cards!

Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm back with another look at Erica's Awake All Night kit! Look at her adorable illustrations and those all-too-accurate journal cards!
LOVE it!!!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I use a white noise app on my phone called Relax Rain. Just something about the sound of rain that helps me fall asleep.