Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-18-2022, 08:21 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Covering a physical album

Hi everyone! It's been a while. I am shifting into hybrid scrapbooking (thank you Traci Reed for getting me into travelers notebooks!). I am looking for some help or recommendations or how tos. I am stumped on what to actually google or search the forum for, re cover/recover album is apparently not it.

My problem is, I am trying to upcycle an old, really ugly, empty photo album I have laying around. It is the kind with permanently attached pages and that glossy paper type front. I hope that makes sense. I want to recover the front/back covers using printed digital products and decoupage, but I cannot figure out how to remove the glossy paper cover. It rips, just into tiny shreds. Is there any other way? Anybody have experience with this? Would the papers and decoupages just stick to the glossy covering anyway? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-18-2022, 09:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Maybe deconstructing old magnetic photo albums?
Or some type of "photo archival" group that deals with that type of process?

I have never done anything like that. If the photos are all out of the album, I'd think even just cutting the plastic off and cover the bit that's left?

I did a quick search on Google and found these:
https://www.picturethisorganized.com...-photo-albums/

https://goodlifephotosolutions.com/m...-photo-albums/

Old 02-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Could you post a picture of the album you're talking about? I'm having a hard time visualizing what kind of album you're talking about.

But, if it is actually glossy paper and not glossy plastic, you should be able to glue new paper items of the top of it.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussemaus View Post
My problem is, I am trying to upcycle an old, really ugly, empty photo album I have laying around. It is the kind with permanently attached pages and that glossy paper type front. I hope that makes sense. I want to recover the front/back covers using printed digital products and decoupage, but I cannot figure out how to remove the glossy paper cover. It rips, just into tiny shreds. Is there any other way? Anybody have experience with this? Would the papers and decoupages just stick to the glossy covering anyway? Thanks for any help!
I think I know what you're talking about. If it's ripping into shreds as you try and remove the cover, then it's a glossy paper and not plastic, and you should be able to just decoupage right on top of it. The trick is going to be finding an adhesive that will stick to the gloss.

I've had great success using Modge Podge to decoupage on glossy surfaces. I don't know what's available for you there in Germany, but you may want to test a couple different adhesives until you find something that will stick well.

If all else fails, use a piece of fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the glossy paper cover before you cover it. That will give it a bit of "tooth" for the adhesive to grab onto.

Hope this helps!

PS: try searching with "how to upcycle glossy photo album cover" - I found some images that might assist.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 02-20-2022, 05:05 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_ View Post
Could you post a picture of the album you're talking about? I'm having a hard time visualizing what kind of album you're talking about.

But, if it is actually glossy paper and not glossy plastic, you should be able to glue new paper items of the top of it.
Since it has been so long since I posted, I don't know how to post a picture anymore. I used to do it with the tinypic link thing, but that seems to be gone now. Is there a thread somewhere of how to upload photos?

I am sure it is glossy paper, not plastic. It is a normal photo album that you find in any store. The part I did mange to rip off is just corrugated cardboard underneath the glossy paper. I will try putting the glue directly on the glossy bit.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:09 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
I think I know what you're talking about. If it's ripping into shreds as you try and remove the cover, then it's a glossy paper and not plastic, and you should be able to just decoupage right on top of it. The trick is going to be finding an adhesive that will stick to the gloss.

I've had great success using Modge Podge to decoupage on glossy surfaces. I don't know what's available for you there in Germany, but you may want to test a couple different adhesives until you find something that will stick well.

If all else fails, use a piece of fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the glossy paper cover before you cover it. That will give it a bit of "tooth" for the adhesive to grab onto.

Hope this helps!

PS: try searching with "how to upcycle glossy photo album cover" - I found some images that might assist.
I do have Modge Podge so I will start with that and after more ripping I am fairly certain it is just glossy paper with cardboard underneath. The sandpaper is a good idea, I think that might actually be enough to get a hold. I am sure I am just being paranoid, but I know we will be moving again and I don't want the album to destroyed in a box, if it were just going to sit on a shelf I would probably be a bit less intense on adhesive. I will try googling that phrase, I had not though of that one yet. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2022, 05:53 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Just use white or glear gesso to cover the glossy surface. Then you can do whatever you want with it. Paint, collage, decoupage, draw, everything...
Old 10-10-2022, 07:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm curious, what did you end up doing to cover the album. I too have started doing more hybrid. for 500 different reasons. I've accepted that all layouts digital or paper or hybrid, is just as much about the process as it is the end result.