Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD 04/21 Outdoor Activities

Summer is coming. Most of us get outdoors more. What are some of your favorite outdoor activities?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love walking/jogging in the warmer weather. I don't jog much during the winter.

For games, I love to play bocce ball. Swimming I don't do really well although I can swim a bit. I do love to get out in the water and float around but mostly stick to the depth where I can stand up in it.

We found a dog park close to the care home for my GD and we'll be spending lots of time there this summer, taking Taz out into the ocean. It's so much fun to see all the dogs off lease, racing in and out of the water together. I didn't go in this wkend b/c I had jeans on but this Sunday I'll wear a bathing suit/shorts so I can go in too.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Reading. (But really, reading in the sunshine is one of my favorite things to do outside!) And we love going to minor league baseball games...outside.

We won't move back until 2020, but our "real" house is on a lake & I love to stand up paddle board around our cove. Or just be out on a boat (most of my favorite outdoor activities seem kinda lazy ) We also log many, many, many hours (like 3-5 a day!) at our neighborhood pool.

It's hot here already (97 yesterday) so I probably won't be running much outside this summer, but under normal circumstances, I do enjoy getting out for a run.

Last edited by knittingbec; 05-21-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Rebecca - your life sounds heavenly!!! It would be my dream to have waterfront property. 97 is a bit too hot for me but at this point, I'd take it b/c I'm sick of the weather here. We still are averaging 55-65 during the day. I'm ready for summer! I can't wait for the temps to creep up into the high 70's/mid 80's.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love to go boating (speed not sail) but we don't have one or easy access to one so that's a maybe once-a-summer thing for me. We do go to the beach (lake not ocean) once or twice a summer. One kid loves the water, and one kid loves the sand. I have to sit under the umbrella but it's nice. We usually go to at least one county fair during the summer. My daughter is finally old enough to ride the big rides with me.

We go hiking (trails not mountain) sometimes at the local parks around here. The kids love to go to the playground or the splashpad. I like going to concerts & festivals but it depends on whether I can get childcare or how family-friendly it is.

I don't usually just sit around outside in the summer. I burn very very very easily, and I don't have time after work because then I'm making dinner, cleaning up, doing chores, etc.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Winter is when I usually get out more because that is when we have the nice weather. Summers here are horrid in the 100's. I'd like to escape up north where it will be a little cooler and maybe do some hiking. Swimming is mostly our summer activity that is outdoors...otherwise we are indoors.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I walk with a friend every day, outdoors if the weather cooperates. I LOVE to read in the sun a book and a beach are heaven to me, though I don’t get to the beach often at all.
We do live on a lake and I love to go out on the pontoon boat and just enjoy the scenery or float in the water with friends. I like kayaking as well. Love just sitting or reading on the deck too. I do scuba dive, but only in the Caribbean . Used to waterski and swim but not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 04:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our summer's reach up to 110+ degrees. There is no outside play. If I do go for a run, it's at like 4:30/5:00am. Yes. AM! Once you get passed 6/6:30am just forget it.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow Carrie....that's early. What's your normal bedtime? I don't blame you...over 110 would be too hot for me too.

Cindi - on a lake??? lucky you!

Mary - you can come here to BC, we cool off in the evening usually and daytimes are generally under 80-85 for most of the summer.

LeeAndra - me too...I burn very easily. I like going to fairs too. There is one in Washington I want to go to but we never know what to do with our dog. It's too long a trip for us to leave him home.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We go to the public parks often; just for a walk, sometimes rent a speed boat to relax in the lake, watch our son ride his bike/scooter and eat some snacks while doing those.
I'd love to go to the beach, but Beijing is really far from any beach and the beaches here in China are not that good to visit, unfortunately.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Wow Carrie....that's early. What's your normal bedtime? I don't blame you...over 110 would be too hot for me too.
It really just depends. I'm a terrible sleeper. I'm usually in bed after 10pm. And, I usually get up about 4:30am on the weekdays. I try to sleep in on the weekends but sleeping in to me is between 5:00 and 6:00am.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a public park nearby where we go to often. We take or basketball, step, kite or other balls and toys to play with.
Other than that, we like to go walking, hiking or roller blading.
When it's really hot, we like to go swimming. Last weekend we swam outside for the first time this year.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Its often too hot to do much outdoors in summer here too, but if we are outdoors (any time of year) we like to go hiking, camping, exploring new places, ride bikes, kayaking...
Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Amusement parks. Even if it's just to sit somewhere and people watch for a while.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Rae, I know you have posted a few times about your granddaughter being in care and I hope she is doing well (I don't remember the story but I hope all is better).

My spring has been dodging rain while trying to watch what soccer games the grandkids have played. We have had a very wet spring so I am ready for some dry weather.

Normally my summer consists of walks with dog and keeping the pool going but last year we tore down the pool and won't be getting another. The pool was starting to rust around the metal edges and the liner was cracking -- for the time we actually used it we decided it was not worth all the energy to keep us.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I prefer to be outdoors in the fall more than in summer. Right now we are in storm season (currently under a 'PDS' warning - particularly dangerous situation with tornadoes possible) and it has rained so much that I don't want to be outside.

When the weather is nice, I like to hike by the lake that is a half mile from our house. I also love to be outside with our animals. We have chickens, ducks, a couple of goats and a miniature horse along with our plethora of dogs and cats (we also have rats, but they don't go outside!). More often than not, my outdoor time is spent mowing and doing animal chores though.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

biking, reading outside, bonfires in the driveway with all our neighbors, taking our camper out, hiking
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was from Asia and my country is near the sun, so when I got here in the US I thank God for the Fall season, so whatever my husband plans for the summer I just go with it

But we do camping twice a year and I love hiking and visiting national and state parks. And of course our village pool has opened today so I expect to be there toasting while my daughter swims...