Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Wink Creating Elements

Random question! I'm wanting to design some kits/graphics/etc for my personal use. (i.e. More Disney specific since you can't buy them b/c of copyright laws & some other random things that I can't find in kits.) I'm nowhere near as talented as the designers here...but would like to be able to doodle little graphics & things for myself.
My question is...what do I need? I currently use PSE 8.0.
Do I need a tablet? Illustrator?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've googled all morning but can't find anything on this topic. How did you designers learn?? I know some of you are surely self-taught? Not everyone has a graphic design degree...right?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hi there!

I'm not an expert on the doodly stuff by any means, but I didn't want you to think no one had read your message!

I do use a tablet, and I have illustrator (though I don't use it a lo). For your own use though, I bet you could doodle in PSE. They just wouldn't be nice vector drawings like you can do in Illustrator.

And nope, no graphic design degree. I just had a designer friend that answered questions for me, and I googled when there was something specific I wanted to know if she didn't have the answers.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm self taught too. Lots of the trial and error and finding tutorials here and there.

I don't do a ton of doodling, but when I do I have to use my tablet and Illustrator. I've never had success drawing in PS or PSE. Of course you could draw on paper and scan/extract.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I too was curious on how to make more Disney specific elements and papers, respecting the copyrights but adding in my own design. Found a lot of info, and characters I was looking for, on MouseScrappers.com. Like the others have said on your post, treat the characters as you would any other design as far as shadows, bevel, etc.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I think its hard to make a decent doodle in PSE, even with a tablet. I think its easier to doodle or draw on paper and then scan it in.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I am learning more about the design part of things too. I didn't want to purchase Illustrator right off the bat because of the cost, however I did find a FREE software called Inkscape that does a whoe lot of stuff like Illustrator. I am sure you could do some good doodle graphics with it. If you ar curious, Google Inkscape and you'll find the website. It's an open source software product, so user community driven. So far I am enjoying it. I am not using a tablet, but it is on my wish list of things to buy. Right now I am just drawing with my mounse and letting the software simplify my image. It can smooth things out pretty well.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

also self taught, tablet and illustrator user over here...

i have heard of inkscape a lot lately, though- like a previous poster mentioned...may be worth checking out

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use ArtRage with my tablet. Cost a whole lot less than Illustrator (I think I got a $30 version) and it works great with the tablet and doodling and writing.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her