Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Acne Treatment Programs?

Hiya Girls! I knew that if I asked here I would get lots of great advice.

As many of you know I have 3 children. My two boys are teenagers and they both have been using Proactiv for a few years. It works great for my 18 y/o, but not that great for my 15 y/o. I am going to switch his treatment to their new version and see if it helps -- if not I will take him to the dermatologist (he has some severe acne on his back).

Okay... now Joy, my 11 y/o daughter, is starting to get acne. Her forehead has broken out pretty bad. Mostly whiteheads I think (smaller closed bumps). She wants me to buy her an acne program, but I am unsure of what to buy. At her age I am surprised that she is even getting acne. I wasn't expecting her to have any problems for a couple more years. She hasn't even started her menstrual cycle (probably too much info, eh?).

I would prefer not to do a "membership" type program, but I don't want to waste my money on OTC crap that doesn't work. She wants me to order her the new "SkinID" program, but it seems to be even more expensive than Proactiv. Plus it requires a membership program (I think) and I am really tired of dealing with auto shipments. The timing is just never quite right.

I am just confused and need any input you may have. I would love suggestions for OTC acne programs that I can buy at a local store instead of having to order online. Any suggestions?

I was also looking at the Murad, Philosophy, and Bliss acne programs (I have linked you up to the product page on Sephora). Even tho most people might order these online, I can get these at my local Sephora store and I would also have the option to order online if I want to. None of these are inexpensive, but I am thinking they are meant more for adult acne. The price is not a huge concern if it works for Joy. I personally use Philosophy's skincare products and know they are top quality, but then again I don't use their acne program so I don't know how well it works.

Help!!

Thanks!!
Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always had really great luck with Clinique... I know that's not one of your options but I really loved their product because I have such super sensitive skin and allergies
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

well.. i'm actually considering trying the one on here... www.acne.org

http://www.danielkern.com/product-p/kit-8.htm

This website has lots of great advice! I'm almost 30 and still having problems so hopefully finding something for your kiddos at a young age will save them the trouble I went through.

I will say that I think whatever you get you should really try to get something gentle and non-abrasive for your 11 year old since she is still quite young.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh and if you look here he also gives suggestions for OTC products to try http://www.acne.org/findingsupplies.php
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know this doesn't fit your "available in stores"... but I think there is free shipping... and if you don't like it or it doesn't work, 100% money back guarantee! Totally recommend it!

ClearNow
Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All I can say is, if your child goes on antibiotics for acne (I don't know if they do that anymore but just in case) then please get them to take probiotics during the treatment because antibiotics strip your body of the good bacteria as well as the bad, which is NOT good.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

philiosphy is the bomb hands down. I had acne in my late 20's bad and I used it along with other products of there. wonderful stuff. Now I maintain with aveeno products. good luck poor thing!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I took Acutane as a teenager and it did work wonders. You have to get a prescription for it by a dermatologist and they make you take a pregnancy test everytime you go in. It totally worked for me, even though the tests were a pain.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had skin problems all my life too, starting at 11. I can't recommend anything as our product names differ here in the UK, and I tried sooo many different things I can't remember half of them!

One thing I would suggest in conjunction with whatever therapy you do choose, is to try cod liver oil! It has a very positive effect on the skin, and helps with joints too We can get it in small, easy-to-take capsules over here - so I would guess you could get them in the US fairly easily too. It seems to be one of those allound good things for the whole family to take.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Girls tend to start getting that stuff earlier probably because they do start puberty earlier. I have tried many, many things over the years. Nothing has helped me as well as going to a dermatologist. I have never had severe acne, but enough to bother me always. I am not a big fan of taking antibiotics unless I am sick, so I don't do those as an adult, but did as a child. Retin A is great stuff.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was looking at trying Max Clarity and was reading some information about it here
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I really don't know much of what's on offer these days, apart from Clinique which I used and it worked wonders, but is a bit expensive for an 11 y old, not sure it will really work...

Now, I was a beauticien and worked with a dermatologist on treatments for a few years in Brazil, and I had terrible acne up to my 20's....
There are many reasons why she can start acne even pre mentrual, food is one of them,
so, have a look at what she is eating and the reactions, for example, peanut butter is poison for kids with acne, like is lots of mustard & (yup, I m afraid) chocolate unless is dark and organic...
lots of oily, fried products or snaks with high fat content can trigger acne too, so, no matter how much you spend in skin products, if the diet isn't right, it wont work

One of the things you can try, inexpensive and found in most beautty shops is an argyle mask, I ll have a look at what's available where you are and try get back to you asap.

There is something here in the UK that is dead cheap and works miracles (I used ot for my daughter a couple of years ago when she started, we still use it, she is 14)
is a cream called Savlon, an antiseptic that doesnt cost more than U$1.50, so, if you know someone in the UK (or you wanna send me your address someone could send it and you could have a go... trust me, it's worth a try
(maybe you have something similar there, but I send it to a couple of friends regularly, that's why I'm not sure about where can be found easily)

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by MrsPeel; 06-29-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typos, I m sure there s a lot more lol
Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Zak has more of the kind of acne you are talking about and Philosophy's On A Clear Day has worked wonders for his skin
I linked it up if you wanna check it out...

Connor's is way worse and the Philosophy really didn't do much so I found and use Kiehl's for him, this stuff is the BOMB for his stubborn acne prone skin. There is an entire line...I linked it as well.

Good luck Eva! Acne is so hard for kids!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've tried everything and nothing was helping - I have pretty bad cystic acne on my chin and side of my face. I used Neutrogena - it's green & is Oil Free Acne Wash that helps calm the skin and reduce redness (which it does!)

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...009018-product

and I follow with this from DDF.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;$sessionid$ZDUNTISFAWIQ0CV0KQLQQAQ;j sessionid=ZDUNTISFAWIQ0CV0KQLQQAQ?id=P3550

Personally - I think the DDF is too strong, but you could get away with a Neutrogena wash & Benzoil Peroxide at night.

As a teen - I had GREAT success with Mary Kay 3 step line. GREAT success. It was the #3 cleanser, toner & moisturizer.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wowza!! Y'all came through with flying colors. Great advice... and lots to think about.

Eva Kipler

Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPeel View Post
There is something here in the UK that is dead cheap and works miracles (I used ot for my daughter a couple of years ago when she started, we still use it, she is 14)
is a cream called Savlon, an antiseptic that doesnt cost more than U$1.50, so, if you know someone in the UK (or you wanna send me your address someone could send it and you could have a go... trust me, it's worth a try
(maybe you have something similar there, but I send it to a couple of friends regularly, that's why I'm not sure about where can be found easily)

Hope this helps a bit
I lived in Wales in the late 80s - early 90s and think I remember that cream. There are many things that I miss buying while I lived there. I used to have a friend ship me PG Tips cuz I couldn't get it over here... oh and Lion Candy Bars (love those). My hubby's aunt lives outside of London. Next time I talk to her I will ask her to ship me some. Thanks for the tip and for the offer!

Eva Kipler

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaCola3 View Post
Zak has more of the kind of acne you are talking about and Philosophy's On A Clear Day has worked wonders for his skin
I linked it up if you wanna check it out...

Philosophy's Acne Program was on my list and I am thinking that I may go ahead and buy it and see if #1) she uses it on a regular basis, and #2) if it works for her. If she isn't going to take the time to wash her face twice a day like she is supposed to I won't be buying anything expensive at all (she will get what they have at the grocery store instead).

Thanks for the info.

Eva Kipler

Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
I always had really great luck with Clinique... I know that's not one of your options but I really loved their product because I have such super sensitive skin and allergies
I am gonna check into Clinique's line as well. I for some reason tend to forget about Clinique (and I don't know why... cuz they have fabulous skin products).

Thanks!

Eva Kipler

Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any good recommendations, but hubby and I both have much clearer skin when we MINIMIZE the amount of washing we do. I know it sounds weird... but we both can only wash our face no more than ONCE a day. When I wash more than that, it aggravates my skin. On some days when I don't wear any makeup, my face only gets a rinse and no face wash.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!

Last edited by Megan Turnidge; 06-30-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

wOw, Wales is so beautiful.....my ex husband use to take me there for holidays, we decided we wanted to have children in North Wales, on the beach in New Quay...love the places in the coast.

I m glad I could help, even if a little
I would try the savlon before spending money, tell her you are going to order a product from London, maybe she ll think is extra posh or some like that LOL (my daughter loves anything that comes from Canada & the US)
Hope she gets the product that will help soon, I spent my whole teens with severe acne, and those times we didn't ahve as much as it's available now...it is such a pain for a girl that age...

Someone here said about not too much washing: scientifically, that would be right:
if she washes her face too much, or uses too many products , instead of attacking the acne, she ll be washing away cells that are not ready to go, and taking protection away from the epidermis, which means bacteria can get in easier, make a home and then is like a never ending circle....
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Take him to a dermatologist...especially if it's on his back too. The pills combined with a new product work amazingly well!! I finally did this with my 18 year old after trying everything else. He cleared up completely...only to go off of them recently and it all came back, so he's using them both again!

You can still use an OTC face wash (I think my son uses the generic Proactiv one)
Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I had horribly, stubborn acne. Even two rounds of Acutane wouldn't clear it completely!! When Proactive came out I was desperate, so I tried it. To my amazement...it worked...and I had tried them ALL! You don't have to do the membership. You can place single orders online. A friend tried Murad and it worked for her.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Eva, whatever you do, do NOT resort to accutane(its a prescription drug that many dermatologist prescribe). There are recent lawsuits going on that it can cause ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease. Both my brother and I took accutane as teenagers and we both now have ulcerative colitis.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
I don't have any good recommendations, but hubby and I both have much clearer skin when we MINIMIZE the amount of washing we do. I know it sounds weird... but we both can only wash our face no more than ONCE a day. When I wash more than that, it aggravates my skin. On some days when I don't wear any makeup, my face only gets a rinse and no face wash.
Megan I am the same way. I cannot wash more than once a day or my skin gets so dry and starts to crack and flake. Its not pleasant!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Neutrogena has a 3-part system called Advanced Solutions, and it's available anywhere. I've thought about trying their new ID system, but the regular system works well, in my experience. My skin has been horrible since my 2nd one was born, and she's 2 now. Ugh.