Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Parents of Graduates

Parents of graduates, I'm starting to see graduation photos on Social Media in our galleries. I know we have several graduations happening soon.

How are you all doing, emotionally?
How is your graduate?
Do they know what they are doing once they are done with high School/college?
Did/Is your child decorating their cap? Show us!
Is gradation indoors/outdoors?

Any stories to add about their achievements/accomplishments?

And yes, let's include those littles graduating from Kindergarten!
Can't forget that one, if your school participates in it or not!

Check in and share your good news!!

If you scrapped a layout, share it!
If you haven't scrapped a layout, but have photos--share them too!!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This year our oldest niece graduates High School, as well as our oldest sons Girlfriend. It is a very busy and emotional season for sure! My youngest son has a graduation of sorts.... he is graduating out of elementary school this year to go to high school next year.... such a crazy thought!! Next year will be our first BIG year with the whole graduation thing comes around...... my oldest son graduating high school (and two other nieces will be as well). I know it'll be emotional, but in all honesty, I have been waiting for this time and have been looking forward to it since the day he was born.... the whole moving out part is what I may not be ready for.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have two graduates this year. Our oldest, Noah, graduated from Georgia Tech last week with a Bachelor's in Computer Science. He graduated with highest honors. He has a job at Microsoft that he will begin in August. I'm excited he will have some time off and we will get to spend more time with him this summer before he goes to Seattle. He has not had much time off at all the past few years with internships and his RA duties.

Our youngest graduated from high school yesterday. He will attend Columbus College of Art and Design to major in Industrial Design. It's a perfect major for him - he's the one who builds al the crazy inventions.

I am excited for them both! Apparently, my youngest son has some mixed emotions/ fear - he posted a pic on Instagram that said something about the fear of the adult world. Pretty normal feelings, I think as he transtions. He is excited about college, too.

How about you Wendy, I know your daughter is graduating and valedictorian! Congratulations to you both - tell us more.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
This year our oldest niece graduates High School, as well as our oldest sons Girlfriend. It is a very busy and emotional season for sure! My youngest son has a graduation of sorts.... he is graduating out of elementary school this year to go to high school next year.... such a crazy thought!! Next year will be our first BIG year with the whole graduation thing comes around...... my oldest son graduating high school (and two other nieces will be as well). I know it'll be emotional, but in all honesty, I have been waiting for this time and have been looking forward to it since the day he was born.... the whole moving out part is what I may not be ready for.
Wow you will have a couple of busy years between this year and next year!! Congratulations to the two graduating this year!

I always get emotional at every stage---your youngest moving on to the next chapter gets me all emotional! It's those first and last born that get me the most emotional.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
We have two graduates this year. Our oldest, Noah, graduated from Georgia Tech last week with a Bachelor's in Computer Science. He graduated with highest honors. He has a job at Microsoft that he will begin in August. I'm excited he will have some time off and we will get to spend more time with him this summer before he goes to Seattle. He has not had much time off at all the past few years with internships and his RA duties.

Our youngest graduated from high school yesterday. He will attend Columbus College of Art and Design to major in Industrial Design. It's a perfect major for him - he's the one who builds all the crazy inventions.

I am excited for them both! Apparently, my youngest son has some mixed emotions/ fear - he posted a pic on Instagram that said something about the fear of the adult world. Pretty normal feelings, I think as he transitions. He is excited about college, too.

How about you Wendy, I know your daughter is graduating and valedictorian! Congratulations to you both - tell us more.
I forgot you mentioned your oldest graduating from college! I knew about your youngest, but forgot about your oldest (sorry). Wow he lined a job with Microsoft?! Can he get us family/friends discounts? Seriously that's really cool and I'm excited for him. All that hard work paid off and he's lined himself up with an amazing job!!

I don't blame either of them being nervous for the future. Mine is a little nervous. It's hard when all they know is school and then wham--you're an adult, trying to figure out what you want to do the rest of your life!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Thanks for asking! She doesn't like talking about the future, like your son she's really nervous about stepping foot out the door and heading in to adulthood.

She applied to Austin Peay State University, just around the corner from where we will be moving. She was planning on going to Colorado State University, Fort Collins as she had a full ride scholarship. But with my husband coming down on orders, her not having a drivers license or having a way to get around, she wanted to stay closer to home (or our new home). So two weeks ago she decided on APSU and we are waiting to see if she's been approved, if her FAFSA will come through and if it's not too late to be awarded any scholarships.

She is graduating with 57 college credits (3 shy from an associates degree due to technical issues this semester). So she will have a head start at whatever college she'll attend. She's pursing a BA in Psychology. Depending on how long we stay in KY, she might get her MA from there as well. Only time will tell though.

Decorating her cap--she has some ideas, but she hasn't committed to which one/way she wants to decorate the cap. But tick tock...she has just a little over a week to get it done!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Cindi, Jenn....share your layouts!! Graduation kits are few and far between!!
Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our youngest graduates from high school on May 25th. Some of you have followed his story, but a brief recap for those who haven't...

We homeschooled through his sophomore year in CA, and then moved to Idaho. He wanted to go to public high school for his last 2 years. The school district wouldn't accept ANY of his homeschool credits (not even things like PE or photography!!). So, Connor has done 4 years of HS in 2 years. He has had 8 classes at school and at least 4 online after school for the past 2 years.
He is graduating in the TOP 10% of his graduating class!!! Even with the workload, he's had straight As. To me, that says the district should have accepted his homeschool credits.

He will be attending Boise State University in the fall, majoring in Electrical Engineering.

I'm excited, but nervous... he will be moving out during the summer to be closer to the University, as well as moving in with friends. He has a good head on his shoulders, so I'm not really nervous about him, I'm more nervous about the empty nest! LOL! I've been a SAHM for over 15 years... I don't know what I'm going to do in this next phase.

Connor is sad that his HS experience is coming to an end, but he is also excited to not have 12 classes per semester! LOL! He's more than prepared for college!!

Our gradation is at the Taco Bell Arena at Boise State (they held March Madness games there last year). This will be interesting, as we haven't attended any graduations in ID.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I know it'll be emotional, but in all honesty, I have been waiting for this time and have been looking forward to it since the day he was born.... the whole moving out part is what I may not be ready for.
I don't think there's anyone who's totally ready for them to move out. It's a transition for sure! I always say that once teens get their driver's license they are never home - preparing parents for them going away!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Our youngest graduates from high school on May 25th. Some of you have followed his story, but a brief recap for those who haven't...

We homeschooled through his sophomore year in CA, and then moved to Idaho. He wanted to go to public high school for his last 2 years. The school district wouldn't accept ANY of his homeschool credits (not even things like PE or photography!!). So, Connor has done 4 years of HS in 2 years. He has had 8 classes at school and at least 4 online after school for the past 2 years.

Wow, that's awful Tammy!!! They should have done some testing to see if he could prove his proficiency in the classes he took. Guess ID Is not very homeschool friendly!! Congratulations to him for doing so well under that load! We are headed to an empty nest too. I LOVE when my kids come home and enjoy every minute of it, but I have to say I'm excited about this empty nest thing!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Thanks for asking! She doesn't like talking about the future, like your son she's really nervous about stepping foot out the door and heading in to adulthood.

She applied to Austin Peay State University, just around the corner from where we will be moving. She was planning on going to Colorado State University, Fort Collins as she had a full ride scholarship. But with my husband coming down on orders, her not having a drivers license or having a way to get around, she wanted to stay closer to home (or our new home). So two weeks ago she decided on APSU and we are waiting to see if she's been approved, if her FAFSA will come through and if it's not too late to be awarded any scholarships.

She is graduating with 57 college credits (3 shy from an associates degree due to technical issues this semester). So she will have a head start at whatever college she'll attend. She's pursing a BA in Psychology. Depending on how long we stay in KY, she might get her MA from there as well. Only time will tell though.

Decorating her cap--she has some ideas, but she hasn't committed to which one/way she wants to decorate the cap. But tick tock...she has just a little over a week to get it done!
Wendy, that stinks that she can't take advantage of the full ride! But congratulation on all the credits and valedictorian!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had a few grad layouts this past week, LOL. I was trying to stick with my son's school colors on the blue and gold layouts.
The college grad:

And the high school grad, I just started scrapping:

Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations to all these graduates! Our oldest is a Junior this year, so we will be dealing with all of this for the next 3 years (we currently have a HS Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman).

Right now we are just dealing with an issue of not receiving her SAT scores yet. Everyone in our state took them around the same time, and most of her friends and some at other schools, have already received their scores, but not her! She's been trying to get an appointment with the school counselor since last week Wed, but hasn't been seen yet! If she's not seen by today by their lunch hour, I will be calling and trying to contain "momma bear".
Old 05-14-2019, 09:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My son has his preschool graduation next Thursday. I think it's silly to have a ceremony with an actual cap & gown for a bunch of 4 and 5-year-olds but I'll go & smile & deal with it. At least I'll have some pics to scrap with all the grad kits that will be coming out soon.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
My son has his preschool graduation next Thursday. I think it's silly to have a ceremony with an actual cap & gown for a bunch of 4 and 5-year-olds but I'll go & smile & deal with it. At least I'll have some pics to scrap with all the grad kits that will be coming out soon.
Yes, some cute pictures!!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Congratulations to all these graduates! Our oldest is a Junior this year, so we will be dealing with all of this for the next 3 years (we currently have a HS Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman).

Right now we are just dealing with an issue of not receiving her SAT scores yet. Everyone in our state took them around the same time, and most of her friends and some at other schools, have already received their scores, but not her! She's been trying to get an appointment with the school counselor since last week Wed, but hasn't been seen yet! If she's not seen by today by their lunch hour, I will be calling and trying to contain "momma bear".
I'd say look it up on the SAT website but if the school administered it you might not have an order to look up. How frustrating!! You will have a busy few years with 3 grads!! Our kids were close, too. Other than the issue of paying for tuition for 2 in college at the same time for 4 years it's good and my sons are close!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Our youngest graduated from high school yesterday. He will attend Columbus College of Art and Design to major in Industrial Design. It's a perfect major for him - he's the one who builds al the crazy inventions.

I am excited for them both! Apparently, my youngest son has some mixed emotions/ fear - he posted a pic on Instagram that said something about the fear of the adult world. Pretty normal feelings, I think as he transtions. He is excited about college, too.

Wow! This is a big year for you, Cindi! How exciting that your oldest has a job right out of college!

Quote:
I don't think there's anyone who's totally ready for them to move out. It's a transition for sure! I always say that once teens get their driver's license they are never home - preparing parents for them going away!
So very true!!

Quote:
Wow, that's awful Tammy!!! They should have done some testing to see if he could prove his proficiency in the classes he took. Guess ID Is not very homeschool friendly!! Congratulations to him for doing so well under that load! We are headed to an empty nest too. I LOVE when my kids come home and enjoy every minute of it, but I have to say I'm excited about this empty nest thing!
Honestly, it was so ridiculous!! They would have let him take 3 proficiency exams, BUT... they weren't just "normal 9th grade" exams - they were the final exams for the class. So they were class specific!! ID is homeschool friendly UNLESS you want HS credits transferred, then it's just insane!
In a way, I'm looking forward to the empty nest, but I will really miss having them here all the time just to chat with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post

Wow, Dawn... you'll have one after another!!
Connor's SAT scores took a little longer than his friends did, I'm not sure why, but they finally did show up.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post

Aaaw! I love kinder graduations! They're all so cute! I know it's silly, but it's adorable!