Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default help from healthy eaters...

I know there are so many of you inspiring healthy eaters here, so if you can help a mama out! lol I am trying to implement healthier eating options in our family's diet, but I struggle with the convenience factor. Anyway I found something I like and it says it is healthy, but I would love your opinion as to whether it actually is or not...

Belvita ... the breakfast "biscuits"

here are the nutrional facts for the whole amount eaten:

calories 230
fat 8g
Cholest 0
Sodium 220
Potassium 85
carbs 35
protein 4

I can eat this in the morning with a cup of coffee... of which I am now adding no sugar and no artifical sweeteners to. It pretty much keeps me full for about three hours or so.

So can I feel good about this or is this gimmicky? help!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Tanyia - for me, it isn't about the calories or fat, but how nutritionally dense it is. Sure, something with 500 calories and 130 of those coming from fat it is bad in general. But how nutritionally dense is it? Do you have nuts or good proteins to go with all the carbs? We have breakfast cookies that we eat a lot, but it's full of nuts and ground fruits and flax seed and other proteins and good fats - good for the start of your day.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well, the supposed benefit here is that there is 19g of whole grain per serving, serving size being the whole amount eaten. and the first ingredient listed is whole grain
Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For breakfast, I would try to eat something with more protein and less carbs. But I tend to stay away from carbs as much as possible. Protein will let you feel fuller for longer. For example, a hard-boiled egg, some cottage cheese/yogourt mixed with berries with a little whole grain cereal/granola in it.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My general rule of thumb is the farther you get from the whole food source, the less healthy it tends to be so for me breakfast cookies in a box would be something I would tend to avoid (no matter how "healthy" the packaging claims to be), but Darcy is right in that it somewhat depends on the individual item. But considering those have about the same amount of sugar as a pop-tart (11-13g), there are probably better options out there.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

see...ty for the help.... I just need something convenient for breakfast because I can not deal with making things in the morning. I was doing fat free yogurt and granola, which I also love, but it in an hour I am starving, which is no good... then I end up eating things I shouldn't again, ya know
Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Oatmeal is a really good bet in the morning...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried Greek yogurt? It has lots of protein, so it will keep you full longer.

I do a smoothie every morning, greek yogurt, frozen berries, handful of spinach, banana, and a splash of juice. SO yummy and filling.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Tanyia, I think it looks okay (not great). I wouldn't eat the same thing every day, but you could definitely do worse. "Whole grain" isn't that important if the fiber content is low. 4 grams of protein isn't much, but you can make it up elsewhere in your diet. For comparison, we have a box of glazed donuts at our house and the nutritional facts are almost identical.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I eat every work day for breakfast 2 pieces of low calorie bread with peanut butter. That way I get some carbs I love, some protein, it is ready if a few minutes and I eat it while I drive to work. Then at 10 am I have some Greek yogurt with granola in it. It works great for me.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

maybe I will try the greek yogurt with the granola instead, that is a good idea, ty. I love granola, I just tried Greek yogurt once and was not fond of the consistancy ... but with granola I may notice it less.

I like the smoothie idea as well, can you taste the spinach in it?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My favorite quick breakfast is a whole grain English muffin (I get the 100% whole wheat ones) with 1 oz of melted cheese. It's also about 230 calories. With a cup of coffee (which I usually have a few hours later) it lasts me until lunchtime.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Oatmeal or an english muffin toasted with PB were my go-to's at work. You can try other nut butters too for a variety. I found it kept me full and focused for a few hours, and then I would snack on a piece of fruit or something. I rarely eat meals at "meal time" anymore. I would eat breakfast at like 8, snack at 11, lunch at 1:30, snack again at like 3, dinner around 6 or 7. It's even crazier since I've been pregnant and my appetite is all out of whack, but still, lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to have more protein in the morning. I skip the carbs and go for pure protein (eggs). I have low blood sugar issues though so its a big deal for me to have the right amount of protein in the morning to keep me from passing out. To make it quick and easy, I scramble my eggs in a bowl, stick them in the microwave for 90 seconds and breakfast is served.

I've been eating low carb, no sugar, no starches with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein since October and I've lost 45 pounds and feel amazing. I miss some of my old favorites and will have something every now and again as a treat but I mostly stick with eating as clean as possible.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My go to breakfast is 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of water. But in microwave (in big bowl - it will expand) for 2 minutes. Add anything you want to change it up. My favorite is maple syrup, flex seed, cinnamon, blueberries and protein powder. But you can add nut/seed butter, honey, raisins, other fruit and spices. It's fast and very filling. You need to eat something with protein to keep you full longer, not just carbs.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
maybe I will try the greek yogurt with the granola instead, that is a good idea, ty. I love granola, I just tried Greek yogurt once and was not fond of the consistancy ... but with granola I may notice it less.

I like the smoothie idea as well, can you taste the spinach in it?
Can't taste the spinach at all. I buy the already washed organic baby spinach and toss a good handful in with my smoothie.