Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default wanderlust

I want to get away SO SO badly. I was hoping to finally do our washington coast road trip this summer but if the canadian dollar continues to sink I don't know if I can stomach paying so much more just to go to the states so now I'm thinking maybe we can do vancouver island or just the sunshine coast or something. For me travel is something that brings me my best memories and this summer will be 2 years since we went to oregon and I'm really really itching to go back to the ocean.

Anyone else feeling the need to get away?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I totally want [need] to get away! I'd love it if you made you way though WA! ... I'd totally try to persuade you to make a pit stop in Seattle
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get antsy if I don't take a trip (even a weekend getaway) every 2-3 months.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I totally want [need] to get away! I'd love it if you made you way though WA! ... I'd totally try to persuade you to make a pit stop in Seattle
It wouldn't take that much persuading if I got to see you! I DO want to see seattle
Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoddess View Post
I get antsy if I don't take a trip (even a weekend getaway) every 2-3 months.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I'm itching to do something island-y
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd love to go away from the cold, but it won't be this year. We don't have any big trips on the horizon - but I am planning a weekend getaway in Montreal this spring. It's such a beautiful city and I've never taken the kids there yet so I'm excited!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm always antsy to travel and right now I'd love to go anywhere that doesn't have 9 feet of snow on the ground and is above 40 degrees

But, unfortunately, we never take winter trips because of school and basketball so I'm stuck in the tundra.

This coming summer will be 2 years since we did our month-long trip across the country so I'm itching to go somewhere this summer but I doubt we'll go far. Cheyanne has basketball until the end of July and then school team soccer starts up the 3rd week of August so that gives us a 2-week window for vacations. I think instead we'll do several weekenders to places here in New England - so many nice places to see right around here
Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
It wouldn't take that much persuading if I got to see you! I DO want to see seattle
I would drive the hour to seattle to see you if you came!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really really really really have wanderlust so bad. I'm trying to talk my husband into a road trip to Colorado Springs this summer. He hasn't said no yet so we'll see.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I get the itch to move. I think that's from my Air Force days! The 10 years I was in the longest we lived somewhere was 3 years 2 months. We've been in Michigan almost 6 years. Around 3 I really wanted to move! Lol!

I'd love to do more vacations, hopefully as Harper gets older we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally have cabin fever. I haven't been on a plane in 7 years. Because of Timothy's medical situation, we haven't been able to go anywhere as a family for 3 years. I've taken the other kids camping and such, but nothing more than that.We used to travel a TON so I'm really feeling cooped up!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've got cabin fever all week long, every week, and then the weekend comes and I go, "nope, I'd rather stay in" LOL

It is winter here in Michigan!!

Come spring/summer I'll probably be ready to do some weekend activities though.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love traveling, but right now I am kind of dragging my feet about the trip we have coming up next month. We are going to PA over spring break, but it will be a long drive with cranky kids and I don't know what the weather will be like. I guess we'll see how it goes.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Until I realized you were Canadian, I was going to say Vancouver Island, as you would get a great deal!

I grew up in Washington State and Vancouver Island was always a special place. I would seriously consider going there!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a 10 day trip coming up for Spring Break which is in 4 weeks. I'm totally looking forward to that, but I'm not quiet ready to leave yet. We took a 7-day ski trip to Canada in January which was fabulous.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Me me me!! And luckily we have a ski trip coming up this weekend and then in two weeks we are going on a cruise out of New Orleans. It's been almost a year since we've been on a real vacation and I'm so excited!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Until I realized you were Canadian, I was going to say Vancouver Island, as you would get a great deal!

I grew up in Washington State and Vancouver Island was always a special place. I would seriously consider going there!
I haven't been to vancouver island since I was a teenager but victoria & tofino are still 2 of my very favourite places i've ever been..

Where did you go skiing?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I haven't been to vancouver island since I was a teenager but victoria & tofino are still 2 of my very favourite places i've ever been..

Where did you go skiing?
We went to Sun Peaks outside of Kamloops. It's our favorite village. Wonderful European feel with the sweetest people and minimal crowds. When we lived in Washington State we went there yearly. It's been about 5 years since we were there, because we moved to California. Took a little more work to get there, but it was totally worth it!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:43 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

if you come to visit Seattle I will be there f or a meet up
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely feel the need to go away... I feel perfectly content to stay here and go exploring to find new things. So many great sights to see, and all free (I think it helps living on the shore, cause I can get that beach experience any time I want in the summer. That's not to say I don't have places I'd like to go though.... and it would be nice to go home to MA more often.

Plan an East Coast trip Kristin! Lots of great things to see, and I can tell ya all the best places to go (if ya like exploring and taking in the simple things in life - beaches, lakes, lighthouses, art, nature parks, hiking trails, history, town festivals galore, oh and LOADS of geocaching!! )
Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

We already have our summer trips planned, but, I wanna go somewhere (warm) NOW.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm ALWAYS itching to get away! Actually deciding on where to go is the tough part! We have family in Alaska, DC, and Seattle that are always wanting us to visit there. We love it, but I think a REAL vacation...maybe a tropical vacation is something to look into. Either that or Europe!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Yes...I love traveling! I grew up with a big family vacation every summer, but DH and I haven't been able to swing that up until now. We're planning a trip to Durango & Mesa Verde this summer and just started looking into planning a WDW trip for next summer.
Alaska and Washington/Oregon/BC are on the wish list...hopefully 3 or 4 years down the line.

I'd absolutely love to go to PEI and Maine too, but hubby isn't as inclined as I am on that one.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Normally yes, but since we'll likely be moving in a few months, I'm kind of enjoying where we are for now. Although we are going to New Orleans next month so that's something.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's been forever since we went anywhere. Last trip was France in 2013 and only for a week, when we normally do 2-3 weeks every year. This year though I'm wanting to go so badly. I just need to convince my husband we should spend the cash do go.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Always. It makes me sad that we get to do it so rarely. I really enjoy a change of scenery and exploring, I can have a good time just about anywhere.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
Plan an East Coast trip Kristin! Lots of great things to see, and I can tell ya all the best places to go (if ya like exploring and taking in the simple things in life - beaches, lakes, lighthouses, art, nature parks, hiking trails, history, town festivals galore, oh and LOADS of geocaching!! )
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to visit the east coast I just wish it wasn't so expensive to get there
Old 02-24-2015, 11:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm on countdown for Hawaii.....3 months...27 days...22 hours and 1 minute (yes, I have an app for that...lol)

Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
Yes...I love traveling! I grew up with a big family vacation every summer, but DH and I haven't been able to swing that up until now. We're planning a trip to Durango & Mesa Verde this summer and just started looking into planning a WDW trip for next summer.
Alaska and Washington/Oregon/BC are on the wish list...hopefully 3 or 4 years down the line.

I'd absolutely love to go to PEI and Maine too, but hubby isn't as inclined as I am on that one.
If you come to Maine I'll be your tour guide! Summer and fall are beautiful here
Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I'm on countdown for Hawaii.....3 months...27 days...22 hours and 1 minute (yes, I have an app for that...lol)
I was just thinking about your Hawaii trip the other day Carrie! Have you ironed out all your plans? I can't wait to see your pics and reminisce!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post

PEI is on my bucket list...only because it is the closest thing on my list that I can drive to in one day and not have to make sure everyone has a passport for LOL.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yesssss! I want to go somewhere, ANYWHERE! At this point, I don't care, as long as it's warm and sunny! I haven't had a real vacation (as in traveling out of state) since I got divorced since money has been so tight. It's really tempting to just put everything on a credit card, but I know that would be foolish in the long run. I am SO desperate for a real adventure though. It's been way too long.

Last edited by kendallt; 02-24-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I was just thinking about your Hawaii trip the other day Carrie! Have you ironed out all your plans? I can't wait to see your pics and reminisce!
We are getting there...the guys have a deep sea fishing day planned for the morning after we arrive. They'll be out from 6am to 10am in the hopes of catching some fish to eat and to make a Costco run (food is important...and alcohol...lol). Then we are all going to do a ziplining tour which should be fun with 19 of us going. We are all staying at a hotel by the airport the night before we leave since we have to be there at 4am. We're going to have pizza together for dinner and just hang out and get to the airport together. Our "father" of the group wants all his little chickens in one spot (as he says it...lol). Matt and I decided that we are going to rent a convertible instead of a Jeep. I drive a Jeep Rubicon every day of my life so that just doesn't excite me. I want something fun and different. Sooooo....it's coming along. I'm sure we'll have a meeting at some point to square away a few things before we go but we are all just so very excited!!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Actually...speaking of apps...

Have any of you found a travel app that you love? I've looked at a few, but they all seem to be limiting. I would love something that would be able to store all the places I want to visit (with web links, entry times, prices etc...), but then have them visible on a map (with my hotel) so I can look at them all and once.

I've seen some that have 'places of interest' to store, but then not a really good map. Or vice versa. A map without the ability to make itineraries....
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We make weekend driving trips to see family 4 or 5 times a year (from VA to NY or CT) and go on a family vacation to PA with them for a week every summer. They come see us 5 or so times a year, too. Last summer Dan and I got to go kid-free to a conference in St. Louis, our first non-local kid-free trip since our oldest was born 11 years ago. I'd really like to do something with just the 5 of us soon, but I don't know if it's going to happen. I love that we get to spend a lot of time with my family even though they're hundreds of miles away, but sometimes it's frustrating there's no time to do our own trips.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We were talking about going to San Diego this year, but my sister planned a wedding celebration in south Utah in April and I am not sure I can afford it all.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I want to get away SO SO badly. I was hoping to finally do our washington coast road trip this summer but if the canadian dollar continues to sink I don't know if I can stomach paying so much more just to go to the states so now I'm thinking maybe we can do vancouver island or just the sunshine coast or something. For me travel is something that brings me my best memories and this summer will be 2 years since we went to oregon and I'm really really itching to go back to the ocean.

Anyone else feeling the need to get away?
"Just" the Sunshine Coast"!? We went to Desolation Sound last summer and it was spectacular!! Canadians are spoiled with all that scenic natural beauty.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

hahaha I didn't mean to make it sound like that I meant instead of the additional cost of doing the ferry to vancouver island.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just love to travel! We always seem to have a trip in the works. This summer we are taking our girls to California for 11 days. LA, Yosemite, San Fran and Carmel. I wasn't excited about their choice of CA but now that we've done research and planning I'm super excited to go.

KCB - We wanted to go to Whistler and Vancouver Island with the kids, but Katie (16) didn't want to go out of the country b/c she wouldn't be able to text her friends. I would totally love a trip to Vancouver Island - it looks like it would be really fun to explore! What about taking some of the ferries from Vancouver to Seattle or to some of the San Juan Islands? Or can you take a ferry north to Alaska? I've seen that you can camp on the ferries and that could be fun if you like that kind of thing?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I am so so so ready for a vacation. We haven't had one in 6 years. I'm hoping we can take a trip in December 2015, but that depends on if/when I get a job later this year and the pay!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post

KCB - We wanted to go to Whistler and Vancouver Island with the kids, but Katie (16) didn't want to go out of the country b/c she wouldn't be able to text her friends.
oh man! i would have forced her to for a reason like that lol!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I love that we get to spend a lot of time with my family even though they're hundreds of miles away, but sometimes it's frustrating there's no time to do our own trips.
See this is one of the reasons we'd like to move closer to home because traveling at the holidays has been SO expensive with just the two of us - I can't even imagine if we had a larger family. By the time we pay for airfare, hotel and rental car, it's practically the cost of a real vacation, all so we can deal with ridiculous family drama. I'd much rather spend that money going somewhere fun!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I just love to travel! We always seem to have a trip in the works. This summer we are taking our girls to California for 11 days. LA, Yosemite, San Fran and Carmel. I wasn't excited about their choice of CA but now that we've done research and planning I'm super excited to go.
You've picked some great spots! There isn't a whole lot to do in Carmel...but the drive to Monterey isn't too far. They have the aquarium, the 17 mile drive (which goes to Carmel), wharf. Hopefully you haven't planned too many days there.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
You've picked some great spots! There isn't a whole lot to do in Carmel...but the drive to Monterey isn't too far. They have the aquarium, the 17 mile drive (which goes to Carmel), wharf. Hopefully you haven't planned too many days there.
Carrie - We actually have not booked our Carmel stay. We are going to drive down the coast from San Fran to LA. If you have ideas on places to stay or things to see I'd love some insight! We had just planned one night between to two cities so we can get out and explore along the way. We're going to book everything in the next week. Also, are you in any of the areas we are visiting? I'd love to meet up with other scrappers while we're out there! It's been so fun meeting people that are visiting Florida!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
oh man! i would have forced her to for a reason like that lol!
Well, her being content and happy to be with us but still connected is what makes the vacation easier on all of us. I get it, she doesn't want to be away from her friends. She's good about not texting when we're doing things, but in the car or at night she's free to communicate with her friends (and boyfriend) as she wishes. I honestly feel the same way you do, but I've had to modify those feelings for my own sanity. It's give and take. I want her to enjoy the vacation just as much as we do. Fighting the whole time makes it unenjoyable for all 4 of us.

This also saved me from having to take them to Europe this summer - no cell service, sorry. Mom and Dad will just have to go without you next summer while you and your sister are at camp. LOL!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
See this is one of the reasons we'd like to move closer to home because traveling at the holidays has been SO expensive with just the two of us - I can't even imagine if we had a larger family. By the time we pay for airfare, hotel and rental car, it's practically the cost of a real vacation, all so we can deal with ridiculous family drama. I'd much rather spend that money going somewhere fun!
We never went home for the holidays when I was in the service. I told my family and Sean told his if they want to see us, then they can come to us. It was easier than traveling with a baby/toddler. In Alaska we never left except when we went to Hawaii.

We visited Michigan once at Christmas when I was pregnant with Keira, but Sean's parents paid for it, because they wanted us to come.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well, her being content and happy to be with us but still connected is what makes the vacation easier on all of us. I get it, she doesn't want to be away from her friends. She's good about not texting when we're doing things, but in the car or at night she's free to communicate with her friends (and boyfriend) as she wishes. I honestly feel the same way you do, but I've had to modify those feelings for my own sanity. It's give and take. I want her to enjoy the vacation just as much as we do. Fighting the whole time makes it unenjoyable for all 4 of us.

This also saved me from having to take them to Europe this summer - no cell service, sorry. Mom and Dad will just have to go without you next summer while you and your sister are at camp. LOL!
oh i totally agree... with BOTH! LOL! I think the next road trip darcy and I take will hopefully just be us. I always felt bad thinking about going on a trip without them because i wanted the kids to experience everything too but I don't think they appreciate it as much and would probably have a better time with their grandparents LOL
Old 02-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I get it completely! I remember when I was 15 we took one of our cross country trips (for 2 months!) from Maine to San Diego where my cousins live/d (it was our 3rd such trip) and I absolutely didn't want to go. If there had been cell phones back then it would have made everyone's lives much more pleasant. I was a total biotch on that trip
Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I've been pretty fortunate to be able to travel a good bit these last few months (heading out this weekend again just north to the mountains for a few days)

I have a couple trips planned too that I can't wait for

Vegas with my guy looking at June

going to Disney in September for a few days

and

a NYC trip for later this year followed by a train ride to DC for a couple days after too

I love planning these things as much as taking the actual trip lol

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe