Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Homeschool Chatter 3/23

Thought I'd start it since I had something to say

My boys are asking to go to school (the school we're zoned for that's across the street). Today, they both got up, got dressed, made themselves breakfast, filled their backpacks with school supplies and then came to tell me that they were late for school. They've been asking to go for a few weeks now and I keep telling them that if they want to go, they can't go until September. I don't know how I feel about sending them to that school (or even trying) since 2 years ago, they told me to take Marcus elsewhere because he needed too much help. I don't even know how to register a child for school.

I want them to do what they want to do, and my husband wants to let them try school next year since we can always take them back out if it doesn't work out, but I"m so nervous about even trying.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have one child like that. If you are comfortable with it I'd maybe let them try depending on how your schools are. My kids have been in and out because I really really really wanted to homeschool and started and then got super sick and couldn't keep up so had to put them back in and then once I got health issues sorted out we took them out again but hubby lost his job and I thought I was going to have to work so put them back in and now they are out again for good until they get to HS and we will re-evaluate then. our schools in central indiana are not good. So I kinda hate the idea of them going but if they were miserable at home and making all of us miserable I would put them in I think. It's a hard decision because the in and out isn't normal like I did and I frustrated the school really badly I think. ops:
Old 03-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooo, that's tough. (As a side note, I miss those days when I never knew what my kids were going to do next, lol!) I know they're kinda young, but maybe you could ask them what parts of school do they want. Like, find out why it's so appealing. Maybe they see the fun playground equipment everyday, or they see all the bustle of kids and wish they were a part of it. That could mean that they need to be with other kids more. What I'm suggesting is that if you can find something more specific they want than just 'school', you could try to recreate that experience in another way.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I know it's because they want to play with the other kids on the playground. They play with other kids at the parks after school if other kids are out and we go every tuesday to a pokemon "league" where they play pokemon with other kids. We also go to church every week and they get to be with kids for a few hours there too and once a month they have a group piano lesson with the lady they take lessons from. I kept trying to tell them today it would be a lot different if they went. If they still want to go to school, I think I'll put them in and then if they really have a rough time with it, I'll take them back out. I asked around a bit and the lady that was principle when the school first opened isn't principle there anymore, so maybe I'll get a different outcome when I try to put Marcus in. I don't know. I guess we'll see.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Are you waiting till next year?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My solution to that was to send them for PE and music only. Both my boys attended public school prior to being homeschooled, so they have friends they want to see. They both go for an hour two days a week. It works out great for us and is a good compromise. I'm not sure if that is an option for you, though.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
My solution to that was to send them for PE and music only. Both my boys attended public school prior to being homeschooled, so they have friends they want to see. They both go for an hour two days a week. It works out great for us and is a good compromise. I'm not sure if that is an option for you, though.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that! There was a boy in my son's 6th grade year who only came for gym. I assumed the other kids would ignore him because he wasn't part of the classroom, but they totally had fun with him. He was just part of the group
Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, doesn't look like we're going to get much done today. Eden woke up complaining of a stomach ache and fell asleep in the chair while I was in the shower. Maybe we'll sneak in some reading or educational show later on.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is a tough situation Some of mine sometimes say they wish they were in public school. I think it is mostly because their friends know so many more kids than they do, and they are a tad jealous of that. They are in plenty of activities, but it is still appealing. Plus, I think the independence of it is appealing to them.

When we've really talked about what it would be like though, they have all agreed they wouldn't prefer it. I told them they'd be getting up early to head to school, staying there till around 3, stopping home for a snack or something before heading to activities, back home for dinner and homework and then to bed. Realistically they would not have time for anything like video games or playing much except the weekend. I am planning to dual enroll in high school for certain things, such as band, chorus, art though for the ones that want.

We put them in one year due to financial situation where I needed to work, and that was how it was even with a K and 1st grader. Then when I was able to get my at-home transcription job, I brought them back home.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Adi, mine have moments like that, too. The grass is always greener on the other side!!! It's true! Heck, I wish they were in school sometimes more than they do! LOL. Plus, you say the school is across the street? So it's a constant reminder for them that other kids are doing something different. That's hard.

I would encourage you to find a homeschool group to connect with during the day (not after school) once a week for the remainder of the school year. They might be hungry for more activities with other kids, outside the home... something more. I would try to fill that 'hole' by trying something new for the last couple months of this school year and see if it works for you or helps before deciding to send them to school next year.

I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but here there are a good amount of homeschoolers... groups that meet for park days once a week, field trips, etc. However, I rarely run into them randomly unless I seek them out. We have homeschool associations that have calendars of weekly events and mommy support group nights. Some you have to join, others organize themselves casually on Facebook.

I've found a balance for us. This is what we do, in case you're curious: we do planned social activities 3x a week (Monday SAINTS: P.E. program from 9-12 with homeschoolers, Wednesday Awana clubs 6-8pm with church kids, Friday Lego club 1-3 pm with homeschoolers) because they like getting out of the house and regularly seeing their friends. About once or twice a month we do field trips with a homeschool group. They also do one sport/lesson each week (right now it's dance for Grace & basketball for Ben). I fight to keep Tuesdays and Thursdays protected with NO outside activities because I don't feel like being only with each other (siblings) and at home is not of any value. It's good for them to have a time to play freely and do school without having to rush somewhere. They do like having something to do, somewhere to go, but if we are out too much during the week they beg to come home.

If you want to stick with homeschooling, you just have to find a balance where the kids (and husband) are satisfied with their activities and at the same time you can actually enjoy some of the benefits of homeschooling (i.e. being HOME and not feeling like you're running around all the time!).

Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I told them they wouldn't get to do any school on the computer/ipad (we use those for about half our school with all the programs/apps I've purchased for them) and they both went "What? I don't want to do that!" haha

Old 03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It is tough for kids... and then probably seeing other kids playing across the street that public school is all fun and games!

So far the only thing Jake had talked about with public school is the ability to ride the bus... which for both me and my hubby - was the worst part of school, period! I'm probably a mean parent, but I shared with him what happened to me and how it made me feel... then he decided that he didn't want to do that. If you asked him if he would want to go to public school, he says no, that they will tease him there. It is also helping that we live in a small enough community that he sees some of his homeschool friends from CC at church (one of pastor's children are homeschooled), they are at dance class, and at some of our field trips. I also like to remind Jake how that if he were in school, we wouldn't get to do fun things like go to the library or the park or to a museum. He wouldn't be able to learn about subjects that interest him or watch Brain Games with mama at lunch time... and when that doesn't work - we have him spend time with his step-cousin and godfather's daughter... both in public school (other is in private) and they tell him how much they hate school. To Jake, who loves school, that just blows his mind... haha
Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I finally got it out of Marcus that the reason he wanted to go to public school was to be with kids and I had to explain to him that it's a lot more than that. He has a really hard time expressing what exactly he's thinking. I've decided that next year, I'll enroll them into the school so they can do art/gym/library time over there and the rest with me.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just going to say that after homeschooling for the past 6+ years, I hate that I enrolled them in the local public school when we moved in January. Not that there is anything wrong with the public school or any school. I just miss being the one who helped my children with their education and to be able to spend more time with them throughout the day. Now that they've been in school for the past 8 weeks, I hardly get to see them, they always have homework that keep them busy until bedtime, they don't want to spend time with me because when they do get free time they want downtime-alone time. I miss the days when I homeschooled my children.

I have always enjoyed reading everyone's homeschool posts. Today as I sat down and read the posts, I just realized how much I miss homeschooling the children. even with you all talking about your kids wanting to go to school!! My children always bounced back and forth from wanting to go to school to staying homeschooled. But as time got closer to them really wanting to start school, they always (and quite quickly) backed down saying they enjoyed being homeschooled! I also didn't say the above to discourage you about putting your child in the school system. It's a big decision, one I never fully understood until the first day I put them on the bus!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Well, doesn't look like we're going to get much done today. Eden woke up complaining of a stomach ache and fell asleep in the chair while I was in the shower. Maybe we'll sneak in some reading or educational show later on.
How is she? Did she end up being sick today?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I totally didn't see the comment about Eden! I hope she's feeling better, poor thing.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, she was back to her normal self by bedtime. Unfortunately that means we won't be taking Friday off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm just going to say that after homeschooling for the past 6+ years, I hate that I enrolled them in the local public school when we moved in January. Not that there is anything wrong with the public school or any school. I just miss being the one who helped my children with their education and to be able to spend more time with them throughout the day. Now that they've been in school for the past 8 weeks, I hardly get to see them, they always have homework that keep them busy until bedtime, they don't want to spend time with me because when they do get free time they want downtime-alone time. I miss the days when I homeschooled my children.

I have always enjoyed reading everyone's homeschool posts. Today as I sat down and read the posts, I just realized how much I miss homeschooling the children. even with you all talking about your kids wanting to go to school!! My children always bounced back and forth from wanting to go to school to staying homeschooled. But as time got closer to them really wanting to start school, they always (and quite quickly) backed down saying they enjoyed being homeschooled! I also didn't say the above to discourage you about putting your child in the school system. It's a big decision, one I never fully understood until the first day I put them on the bus!
Aww, I'm sorry you're sad. You put in some wonderful years with them, and it's still happening. Just in a different way. I homeschooled for two years and them put them back in school and it was quite an adjustment. And that was only after TWO years, not six like you! When I decided to keep my dd home this year I knew I would be glad to have her back with me. (((hugs)))
Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do any of you do classes like cooking or anything like that? I've been thinking of introducing a cooking class once a month where we cook something easy and yummy

Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, but I've thought about that. We have an art class once a month, but she didn't even go this month because it's getting a little repetitive.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree that there are pro's & con's either way. We have my son in a small private school that is kind-of part of our church. In that way we love it because of the values they teach. The classes are small which is great so he gets a lot of personal education.

But that's also the downside. The classes are small so really it's like he has 8 siblings. The kids know each other too well. Even the teacher said "It's like you have 6 brothers!' (For better or worse).

The last two weeks of school (before spring break) were really hard. He was just done, ready to be away from the other kids, and totally needing a break. Everyone in the class needed a break too.

Sometimes I wish I could have him under my wing in our little nest. I'm hoping that after 2 weeks, everyone will feel better and class will get a little more sane.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
Do any of you do classes like cooking or anything like that? I've been thinking of introducing a cooking class once a month where we cook something easy and yummy
We don't do any outside the home, but I let the kids cook every once in a while, and they call it cooking class
Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
We don't do any outside the home,
\\

I don't know why, but that just made me laugh so hard, lol!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Today wasn't the most successful day unless you count the fact that neither one of us felt like doing anything but we managed to get through the basics.

Yay for us!

Tomorrow we are getting things done and then going to the theater to see Home with my friend's dd. She is 3 and A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. She is totally excited to go to the movies with us
Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
\\

I don't know why, but that just made me laugh so hard, lol!
LOL, well I didn't mean it THAT way!!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Fun Val - I want to see Home too! The girls and I are going to Insurgent tonight
Old 03-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We did "Friday Fun Day" like usual, so we practiced our reading/multiples of ten/adding/subtracting and not being a poor sport by playing pokemon this morning. Pretty laid back

Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yep, she was back to her normal self by bedtime. Unfortunately that means we won't be taking Friday off

Aww, I'm sorry you're sad. You put in some wonderful years with them, and it's still happening. Just in a different way. I homeschooled for two years and them put them back in school and it was quite an adjustment. And that was only after TWO years, not six like you! When I decided to keep my dd home this year I knew I would be glad to have her back with me. (((hugs)))

My middle NEEDED to go to school to help with her learning disabilities. I was able to help her, but I know with the school, she'll be able to get the exact help and hopefully they will do it better/quicker than I can since it's their specialty. However, my oldest, has been asking me if I'll continue to homeschool her next year. I told her that when her father visits from overseas (he's currently deployed), to ask him if she can do something like K12.com where you do the work at home, but don't go to a physical school, especially since she'll be starting high school. Although I'm sure his answer will be "no", since he was the one who said they had to go to school this year while he was away. It would be nice to have the kiddos home again, but I highly doubt my husband would approve of even my oldest staying home for school.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Scrapped our African meal night

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...l-book&cat=500
Old 03-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
We did this weekly and then gave the goodies to our neighbors. When we moved up north, we continued the class and used it as a way to meet the neighbors. I know the neighbors message me on FB saying how much they miss the girls cooking now that we've moved away!!