Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Friday Fun Facts 02/28

The month has flown by, hasn't it? Which is a good thing IMO b/c I'm anxious to get thru this part of the winter and head into spring. So today's questions are all about "spring".
  1. What do you like about spring?
  2. What is spring like in your area?
  3. Do you have any parks or botanical gardens nearby?
  4. Do you have a favorite flower?
  5. Do you have a garden?
Old 02-28-2020, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What do you like about spring?
I love the longer daylight hours and the emergence of color. I find our winter so dreary with lots of rain, mud and brown.

What is spring like in your area?
Dahlias are one of the first to bloom. We have beautiful cherry blossom trees here too. Temps start to go up into the 60's, so warm enough for a jacket/sweater but not a heavy coat. We do get a lot of rain but it's good for the greenery and when the rain stops everyone is happy to get outdoors and enjoy it.

Do you have any parks or botanical gardens nearby?
I live close to quite a few small parks for hiking and there is a park nearby along the waterfront which is very popular. We also have lots of paths along the river and dikes in the area. There are a few botanical gardens within an hours drive that I love to visit a few times a year. I've just been thinking about going to the indoor conservatory at one of the gardens, haven't been there in a few years. They have tons of tropical plants and birds, its a fun trip.

Do you have a favorite flower? I love sunflowers.

Do you have a garden?
We have a large garden in our backyard with bushes/trees and perennials. I gave up on planting annuals back there, it was too much work.
This is where I often sit and photograph the birds/squirrels. It's so peaceful.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What do you like about spring? I especially like the beginning of spring, when all the trees are starting to bud and the bulbs are coming up. There are a lot of Bradford pear trees around here (we don't have one), and those are my favorites, because they bud, then flower - a white flower, then the leaves start out a very light green and change to a medium green -- changes can often be seen daily!
What is spring like in your area? The first signs are usually sometime in February. Temperatures are usually mid-60s for the highs and mid-40s for the lows at night. And the storms are usually intense!
Do you have any parks or botanical gardens nearby? We have a nice park about two streets behind us -- it's just trees and a couple of little bridges with a small creek. It's great for walking or little kids riding their tricycles. We have other small parks with a few pieces of playground equipment around my neighborhood. Sadly, we do not have any botanical gardens nearby. I think the closest one is about 25 miles from us.
Do you have a favorite flower? Yes - the rose. I've loved them ever since I was a little girl. I especially love those that are cut from a bush because the scents are divine! The roses in flower arrangements almost never have a scent -- it's disappointing.
Do you have a garden? No, but I'm thinking I may want to have an herb garden.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What do you like about spring? More sunlight, warmer weather, bluer skies, greener grass, baby animals, less rain, ALL the flowers!
What is spring like in your area? Most weather here is pretty mild, we're in the southern part of the Pacific Northwest. Lots and LOTS of green. Still rainy, but its warmer. Gorgeous.
Do you have any parks or botanical gardens nearby? Even better, we have an abundance of public lands that are easily accessible.
Do you have a favorite flower? I love all of the sping flowers, especially Daffodils, big ones, small ones, and pink tulips
Do you have a garden? We do have a garden, it will go in end of April/early May...if I can figure out how to keep the dang dogs out of the beds.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No snow. No heat.

Temps between winter & summer, generally no snow (it occasionally snows a tiny bit and/or frosts in March and early April here), flowers, rain. Pretty standard spring stuff, I think.

Yes, we have lots of parks. A couple botanical gardens? I'm not a garden-flower person.

Do you have a favorite flower?
I like the way lilacs smell. That's as far as I can go for a favorite flower.

Do you have a garden?
The kids have a veggie garden with their dad.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love how everything comes back to life!

The weather starts warming up, and plants start blooming. It's so beautiful.

We have SO many parks nearby, but I'm not really an outdoorsy person. We have a botanical garden near downtown.

That's a tough one. I would say peonies.

Do you have a garden?
We've been renting for about 10 years now. I haven't had a garden since before that. Now that we're in our new house, I may start again. I like growing herbs and veggies. I'd love to have a salsa garden again... tomatoes, onions, chiles, cilantro!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love that the COLOR comes back- green grass, leaves on trees, BLUE skies and of course FLOWERS!!!

Usually mild, sometimes rainy, but a lot of sunshine too- usally in the 50's to 60's! Today was 61*!!! Talk about a tease... SO ready for flowers!

There are a lot of parks & conservatories around here. One of my favorites is the Chinese gardens at Manito Park- SO beautiful!

Daffodil! No surprise it's one of the first in the Spring!

Do you have a garden?
We have a couple garden boxes, but the deer ANNIHILATED them last year- only left the onions & garlic- oh well. This year I'm not sure if we'll even plant anything in them. The deer around here don't know what they are supposed to not like- they eat everything!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love that things start to look alive and there's color again. I hate the dead, colorless winter (when there's no snow)!

Rain, warmer temps, things start to green up and grow again!

Yes, we have parks nearby but I don't visit them often.

My favorite spring flower is tulips.

Do you have a garden?
NO! I grow flowers in pots.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
What do you like about spring? I especially like the beginning of spring, when all the trees are starting to bud and the bulbs are coming up. There are a lot of Bradford pear trees around here (we don't have one), and those are my favorites, because they bud, then flower - a white flower, then the leaves start out a very light green and change to a medium green -- changes can often be seen daily!
What is spring like in your area? The first signs are usually sometime in February. Temperatures are usually mid-60s for the highs and mid-40s for the lows at night. And the storms are usually intense!
Do you have any parks or botanical gardens nearby? We have a nice park about two streets behind us -- it's just trees and a couple of little bridges with a small creek. It's great for walking or little kids riding their tricycles. We have other small parks with a few pieces of playground equipment around my neighborhood. Sadly, we do not have any botanical gardens nearby. I think the closest one is about 25 miles from us.
Do you have a favorite flower? Yes - the rose. I've loved them ever since I was a little girl. I especially love those that are cut from a bush because the scents are divine! The roses in flower arrangements almost never have a scent -- it's disappointing.
Do you have a garden? No, but I'm thinking I may want to have an herb garden.
I had balcony flower pots a few yrs ago with herbs. I loved that I could just step out onto the porch and pick off some fresh herbs for cooking with.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I love that the COLOR comes back- green grass, leaves on trees, BLUE skies and of course FLOWERS!!!

Usually mild, sometimes rainy, but a lot of sunshine too- usally in the 50's to 60's! Today was 61*!!! Talk about a tease... SO ready for flowers!

There are a lot of parks & conservatories around here. One of my favorites is the Chinese gardens at Manito Park- SO beautiful!

Daffodil! No surprise it's one of the first in the Spring!

Do you have a garden?
We have a couple garden boxes, but the deer ANNIHILATED them last year- only left the onions & garlic- oh well. This year I'm not sure if we'll even plant anything in them. The deer around here don't know what they are supposed to not like- they eat everything!
ha ha...if the deer lived by me...I'd be out there photographing them constantly. I'd be trying to entice them into the yard LOL