Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Help with Photo Lens Choice

Help,
We are going to Morocco next month, and I am trying to decide what camera to take. We will have a Samsung Galaxy and iphone with us to take pictures. I also have a Canon point and shoot which I might bring along. I am not willing to rely on those for this vacation because I take terrible action shots with them. I really want to purchase the new Sony A6000 to take, but it isn't supposed to ship until the day after I leave. Therefore, I am most likely going to take my Canon 40D. (I know it is heavy and very obvious, but I don't really have another option if I want to get a variety of shots.) I have a typical 28-300 mm lens and a Sigma 85 1.4 which I love! However, for the trip, either is what I consider a great option: the 28-300 is too slow and not great in low light, and the 85 isn't wide enough to take the variety of shots I want.

I am going to purchase a new lens for the trip, and I need input from you photo gurus. Here's what I know I want- Sigma lens, zoom lens, and a f/1.8 to 2.8. I don't know how big the difference is between the 1.8 and 2.8 in these zoom lens. I have seen some incredibly sharp photos at f 2.8.

I have narrowed my choices to these:

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon - may not have enough of a zoom for close-ups, but love the f 1.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._8_dc_hsm.html

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens- is the zoom big enough?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_EX_DC.html

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens- This seems to me to have a good wide range - from landscapes to portraits
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_IF_EX.html

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO Lens - This seems to me to have a good wide range - from landscapes to portraits to sports
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_EX_DC.html

Which would you choose and why?
Any tips?

Thanks for any advise you can give me!!!

Last edited by disneyaddict; 03-12-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

i have the canon version of this:
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens- This seems to me to have a good wide range - from landscapes to portraits
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_IF_EX.html
and LOVE it!
BUT it might be too bulky.
Is the 40D a Crop sensor?
If so, I would stick to a prime like 35 or 50.
When I go on a vacation, I don't want to lug around a bulky camera set up. I go in knowing I am not going to get all perfect shots had I brought my mark ii and various lenses. But I am ok with that.
When we went to cancun last Oct i brought my 7D and 35 2.0 and a Nikon underwater p&s.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

There is a 30mm for APS/ crop cameras, and the 35 mm for crop and full frame cameras. Both are f/1.4. I don't plan on moving to a full frame camera any time soon, and there is a $400 price difference with the 30mm being the less expensive lens.

Do you think the 30 mm would be adequate to take? (I might put the difference toward buying the 50-150 mm lens for indoor sports photography.)

30 mm- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_dc_hsm.html

35 mm- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_DG_HSM.html
Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I say the best lens you can buy w/i your budget. IMO it is always worth it
I started with a 50 1.4 on a rebel and loved it! i upgraded to a 50 1.2 on my mark ii and love it!

figure out what is important to you and what you are willing to give up.
bringing a (30 or 35) prime lens will offer more portrait type photos. will you miss the zoom? and wide angles?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Thank you, thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

I definitely want to take either the 30 or 35 prime. I have read that both are good for portrait and landscape although I am not sure either will be wide-angled enough for indoor architectural shots??? I thought maybe the 30 would give me a bit more of a wide angle? Since it is built for the APS only (I have an APS), rather than both APS and full frame, but still has the same f/1.4, I think it would essentially take the same quality photos as the 35 mm. I must say I also like the $400 savings. I can afford either lens, but if the 30 mm takes pictures of the same quality as the 35 mm and might give me a bit more width, I might apply the savings towards buying either the 50-150 mm zoom or the 70- 200 mm zoom, both are 2.8.

So what do you think?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Sigma 30 1.4 and on a crop body it's definitely not wide enough for architectural shots, especially indoors where you won't have much room to zoom out with your feet. You can get creative with it but if you're picturing capturing a whole room or scene with that lens, it's not wide enough for that.

I think the real question you need to ask is what kinds of photos are you hoping to take? If you are wanting more wide angle architectural shots, I'd go with something that has at least a 15 or 18mm range on the wide end. If you're big on details, go with something with a bit more zoom.

Also, not sure where you live, but if you're in the US and just want a lens for this trip, you might consider renting one. I've rented from both Borrow Lenses and Lens Rentals for my trips and had really positive experiences for both. Plus you can usually rent a much nicer lens than you could afford to buy for a much lower cost.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for your input. My head is spinning with the possibilities. I really want to purchase a lens this time. I have not bought one in a long time. Taking both of your comments into consideration, I am now leaning towards the sigma 18 to 35 mm f/1.8 zoom. It is wide enough for landscapes and architecture and can zoom out for street photography. I think it would be adequate for portraits on the road. Am I going to be happy with the 1.8, instead of a 1.4? What do you think of this as my travel zoom?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I just bought the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 with vibration control($600 range) and absolutely love it. I needed something wider than my other lenses for Disneyland and it's perfect. And I'm blown away by how sharp it is. I spent weeks researching and trying to make a decision. It's a lot of money to spend and not be super happy about. Luckily I am super happy with it. If I was going for prime, I would have bought the Sigma 20mm. It has been at the top of my wishlist for a few years and I love my prime lenses, but felt I needed more range with a zoom.

Last edited by coopert; 03-12-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I just looked at the lenses again and the Sigma 17-50/2.8 has image stabilization, but the 18-35 mm/ 1.8 does not. Am I going to need the image stabilization even if the aperture is larger.