Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 07/01 Fireworks

It's Canada Day here and there will be fireworks/firecrackers heard in our neighborhood tonight. In the U.S. they celebrate July 4th with fireworks. New Years Eve is the other big fireworks event in our area.

Do you have fireworks in your area? Do you set them off yourself, go to watch them or try to ignore them as best you can?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to see the fireworks but Taz (our doodle) does not. He shakes and hyperventilates and alternates between squeezing into a corner and hiding or racing around the house bug-eyed, freaking out. So, we don't go anywhere to watch fireworks anymore. We stay home with him, I wrap him up in a (homemade) thunder jacket which helps to soothe him a bit but he still gets very freaked out and shakes/trembles all night until they stop, usually around midnight. So today we will out visiting family and he'll get to run around a lot there and then I'll take him for a long walk and swim after dinner to help tire him out before the trauma starts.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

They are only supposed to set off fireworks this week but they have already begun as of 2 weeks ago and will continue almost nightly until nearly the end of the month. It's never the same neighbors but 5 or 6 houses within a few blocks of us that set them off every few days. It's maddening.

Since my kids won't be here this year for Fourth of July, I took them to see fireworks this past Saturday night at a local Independence Day celebration. It was the first time I'd allowed the little (5yo) to stay up late enough to see them. He was a big fan. We will probably get sparklers this afternoon to set off tonight before they leave tomorrow for the lake. I can't not have FOJ photos to scrap.

There are several Fourth of July fireworks shows around here on the actual day. Since I'll be on my own that day & don't have to go in to work, I'm not sure if I will be interested in staying dressed (or getting dressed again) to drive out & see them but we'll see.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I enjoy fireworks, but not the crowds/late nights that come with them. When we're at my mom's house over the 4th or NYE, we have a perfect view of the fireworks put on at the county fairgrounds from her back patio.
When we lived in England, I came to appreciate their fireworks night-- in early November, dark by 5 p.m., fireworks show over by 7 and in bed at a normal time
Old 07-01-2019, 11:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I enjoy watching fireworks from afar. My daughter hate the loud sound of the fireworks. In Manila you will expect people to have fireworks even in private villages so it's kind of refreshing to see that there are places here where yu can go to if yu want to watch fireworks display. We plan on watching the 4th at the rooftop of a parking space where my husband parks his car at work. Hopefully there will be a great aerial space to watch them and take photos.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We took the girls when they were younger, but now we go to an amusement park early in the day and clear out before the crowds get heavy to watch their fireworks display near the lake. We don't usually watch the fireworks at night because the traffic to leave any decent viewing area is to much.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Fireworks in our town went on sale Saturday and people have been setting them off since and it's so frustrating. I like to watch fireworks. I don't particularly care for the ones that are allowed in our town because they are duds. The ones that make the whistling noise are the worst. Overrated and overpriced crap is what they are. LOL! I do love watching legal fireworks shows that are put on by our town. We haven't gone in quite some time though. It's usually too hot to be outside or away from a pool if outside.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All of the cities near us have fireworks displays. Our neighborhood at the lake sets them off and we watch them from the pontoon boat, which I love. It’s quiet and no crowds and you can see the fireworks reflected in the water. I dislike people setting off their own fireworks because it stresses my dog out. One or two nights of terror is enough for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

The big fireworks around here are on the Charles River after the Boston Pops July 4th Esplanade concert. It's been a few years since I've gone down to see the fireworks.

A lot of cities will also have local fireworks as well. And, I'm sure, there'll be neighbors around us setting them even though that's illegal in Massachusetts.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We LOVE Fireworks!!! We have small shows for things like the town Christmas tree lighting, and sometimes Canada Day..... but all the little towns in our area have their own celebration days during the summer, so basically every week-end we can go out to see a different show. We typically stick to our town, and MAYBE two others during the summer, love fireworks, but am not fond of crowds so 1 or 2 shows is enough for us for the year.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaM View Post
The big fireworks around here are on the Charles River after the Boston Pops July 4th Esplanade concert. It's been a few years since I've gone down to see the fireworks.

A lot of cities will also have local fireworks as well. And, I'm sure, there'll be neighbors around us setting them even though that's illegal in Massachusetts.
Hey!!! What part of Mass are you from?? I currently live in Canada, but am from Lynn MA. It has always been my dream to spend the 4th of July with the Pops
Old 07-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We always have fireworks on the weekend of our town's festival which is right before/during canada day to kick it off. Lucas hates hates HATES fireworks so we usually don't go down but we can still see them from our house.

As I"m sure you're aware one of the downsides to fireworks in the summer in Canada is depending on where you live it can take a very long time for the sun to go down and the fireworks to start. Fireworks go off just after 11pm where I live now but it was past midnight when I grew up in northern alberta. Not always fun with little kids.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
Hey!!! What part of Mass are you from?? I currently live in Canada, but am from Lynn MA. It has always been my dream to spend the 4th of July with the Pops
I was born and raised in Cambridge and Somerville and now live in Everett. When I was a kid in Cambridge, we lived about a 15 minute walk from the Charles. It was so much easier to go down to the river to see the fireworks then.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My suburb is the only one in the area that allows fireworks in town, so it's crazy here on the 4th. I love it. We enjoy setting off some, too. My son loves smoke bombs and little ones like that.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our city does a display (small town Kansas, USA). They have them for sale all over town but I have a real problem blowing up money so we don't really buy fireworks. Since we moved to the country we have gotten lazy and don't drive into town as often to watch them. I think we are going tonight.