Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default kindergarten "stuff"

So... I'm like starting to get that spinny overwhelmed feeling. I don't have a CLUE as to what is going on with ce's kindergarten stuff yet-- he hasn't even had his evaluation yet.. no call to schedule.. nothing. I've been waiting for a while now- they just keep saying they'll call to schedule and I'm all o_O. He doesnt' get assigned to a class till he's been evaluated.. I know nothing till then blah blah blah.. so... anyway.
I don't know what kids need for kindergarten. I've been told I will get a list sometime close to when school starts but that is so not good enough for miss ocd over here. I am seriously panicking. About even like silly things.......... like what type of back pack he should have.
Like do I just get him one of those cutsie lil kid ones? Or should I go for something sturdy and nice. I mean it's JUST kindergarten right? .... Do they need crayons and markers and note pads and .. rulers.. and all those type things? Should I get him a lunch box? or one of those cloth bag thingies......
aaaaaaah.
don't tell me to breathe and relax.. these words are not in my vocabulary lol
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

does he have to have an evaluation? In my area, you have to sign up your kiddo for kindergarten in the spring for them to start in the fall. (of course they have to fit in those that don't preregister, but they often don't get to choose if they go to morning or afternoon kinder then). And the kiddo has to be 5 years old by the time they start kinder, and if they aren't then they have to have an evaluation, but it's really rare for people to get it approved here.

If they are registered for school already, then in my area, the send out a packet with the school supplies list that the teacher wants them to have. For my son's class, they do the group supplies so I can't buy anything extra special for him and no names go on the stuff. Other classes have everything labeled with the kids name, so it depends on the teacher.

I let Logan pick out a "cool" backpack because he goes to a school where he wears a uniform, so it's really his only individuality there, so he picks the lunch box and the backpack. This year's theme will be Transformers. LOL

School will be a fun thing for him! Is he looking forward to it?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

he's already registered.. he'll be turning 6 a few months after school starts- he missed out last year cause of the age thing. They said he has to be evaluated before anything gets going.. I have no idea why tbh. It's all just feeling totally wacko and unorganized ^_^
Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

Usually you can find a school supply list either at Walmart/Target or the school might mail one closer to time for school to start.
For kindergarten, he'll need things like pencils, crayons, glue sticks, ruler, pencil box/case, safety scissors, big erasers, tissue etc. Trust me, you'll get your list. Just keep checking the stores - they usually have them on a cardboard stand about 4 ft tall, near the entrances.
As far as lunch boxes, if he takes his lunch I would probably send him one of those hard cased ones (if they even make them still). That way he wont smoosh his lunch on accident.
Be sure to get him a backpack HE LIKES. They usually only carry papers to and from school. Let him pick it out, he'll be proud and excited. Just be sure to put his name on the inside with the name of his teacher.
You'll do fine...and so will he.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If Ce's kindy class is anything like D's, he'll won't need much in the way of a backpack. Well, it should be able to fit snowclothes in it, and maybe shoes and stuff. D had to carry that stuff back and forth all the time. But, it doesn't need to be big or all that sturdy. Cutesy kid is good.

Yes, get him a lunchbox. Soft-sided is better...he can squish the empty box into his backpack. I found some nice ones on clearance for the boys. Plain black--but they did the job.

Yes, he'll probably need notebooks, markers, etc. But, as much as it might pain you to do so, wait for the list. D's list was very specific. D had to have four single subject notebooks--one each in red, blue, green, and yellow. Just the colors, nothing cutesy on them. He also had to bring in crayons, specifically Crayola. Something in the Roseart ones had caused some kid to have an anaphylactic shock a few years ago, so they've been banned in the district. He also had to bring in 24 #2 pencils..sharpened. And erasers, scissors...all of it. But really, wait for the list! I promise I won't tell you to breathe/relax.

I did an internal happy dance when JP's 4th grade supply list came home with his final report card a few weeks ago. LOL!

Last edited by Leila; 07-12-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

As the mom of one who just finished Kindergarten and the girl who's best friend teaches Kindergarten and a 'retired' teacher herself...

I would go ahead and pick up a lunchbag. I let mine pick their own...unless it's like super tacky...and we usually do it at Target. The best selection is now, cause they do get picked over. I don't spend a lot on these because they get super nasty (day after day of being lugged back and forth, tossed into a wagon with everyone else's) and I sometimes just have to toss them mid-year and start all over.

As for backpacks...I talk my kids into the sturdy plain ones and then I get their initials embroidered on them and do a cute bag tag. My best friend, the one above, taunts me because I'm so anal. She thinks they should pick out their own character one...ug.

Our school does the supply list that you can order online...and then the supplies are just there on the first day. Since that doesn't seem to be an option, most likely I would pick up scissors (rounded tip), glue sticks, crayons, hand sanitizer and Kleenex...those last two are always on our lists. There is usually also constructions paper, but I would wait to see what size, etc. Oh, and folders too sometimes, but they often ask for certain colors, so I would wait on those too.

As a super type-A, I always like to have everything the week before school starts. But really it's not necessary, and even if you don't have everything the first week (because everything sold out and you can't find it anywhere), the teacher will have enough until you can get it.

I don't know how well I actually explained anything ! But hope that helps a bit!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in a major panic mode here too La! Like seriously, freaking out not knowing what to get or what to do. I'm even making a big deal out of school clothes!! Ack! And I was thinking of the whole backpacks and lunch boxes thing and I saw one lunch box that said PVC free and one other that said Lead Free and I started freaking out even more about what type of bag/lunch box to buy. H-E-L-P!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 PM

profile gallery send pm

actually, now that I think about it, at Logan's school this year they are doing testing before school starts because Labor Day is SO late. The first day of school is like Sept 9th, so the Sept 1-4, they are doing the state testing for the kids. (It's no big deal, they just use the testing to get a baseline so when they test at the end of school that they can see how the kids progressed.) Maybe it's the same in your area? You could leave a message at the school although they probably won't get it until late August when the teachers come back to start prepping their rooms.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM

profile gallery send pm

hey, will he even need a lunch box? If he only goes part day, he probably won't.
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

<covering ears> lalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaa I can't hear you. I still have a month, damnit.

I'm in denial.
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

LOL thanks girls.. Are they really that anal about things like the colour of the notebooks? haha that's crazy. I remember being in elementary school and my mom just got me whatever she wanted. what happened to those days? oye.
A big part of my panic is well the obvious.. I'm a single mom barely stretching it by lately- and just the thought of scrambling at the last second to get school clothes, new shoes, backpack, lunch stuff, and a huge list of school supplies........ well it's a lot on my brain atm I like to space these things out ^_^
I don't remember EVER seeing anything school supply list wise @ any stores haha.. but maybe I just never paid close enough attention.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebee70 View Post
hey, will he even need a lunch box? If he only goes part day, he probably won't.
it's full day :] and they start aug 31st.. eek. lol
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's ok...just take a breath! Been through that 3 times. I'd say if you know anyone with kids in the school...ask them if there are any "requirements" on backpacks. Sometimes individual teachers can even put restrictions on them. If not, then take your kiddo to the store and let him pick one out. I would say a minimum size would be to put a 10x13" paper inside because of all their artwork in K...more times than not they will just roll them up or fold them.

You are so creative, however, I would recommend going to Hobby Lobby and picking up one in the area where you could design your own! Let him pick out patches, buttons, ribbons...anything that is his favorite...pick a passion... does he like trains? Customize it so he has his OWN original and everyone will know it's his.

When Brian was in Kindergarten he had his heart set on a fire fighter backpack. There were not ANY fire fighter backpacks available for purchase...they simply were not made back then. So... we got a few patches, twill that was printed on (cut from a shirt he had outgrown that had fire trucks on it), buttons, etc. EVERYONE in the K knew it was Brian's backpack and no one ever "accidentally" picked it up. ...I had so many moms compliment me on our original design!

P.S. If you can buy denim...I WOULD...this got a bit dirty over the course of a year. Also, do NOT use the patch glue if you plan on washing this...we've not had good luck with it.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

first... BREATHE!

i used to teach kindergarten so i'm SO excited for Ce's new journey!

1. call the school to see if they have a SUPPLY LIST that Ce needs to get before school starts.... sometimes schools won't even give you a list til they start.

2. get a sturdy backpack that's not TOO tiny, they do bring home a lotta stuff! I actually got the boys theirs at Walmart last year and they were surprisingly sturdy and a good size!

3. get a lunch box w/ a handle ... i also got the boys carabeaners so they could attach their lunchboxes to the outside of the bag on their way home, cuz sometimes they get SO much stuff to bring home, that Justin would get nutso when he couldn't cram it in!

that's all the wisdom at the moment

xo

(aka L. Reid)

Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Most likely they aren't back yet to schedule anything for you. We go back to school August 19th and the principals/staff/etc arent' back to work until July 16th or something.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
<covering ears> lalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaa I can't hear you. I still have a month, damnit.

I'm in denial.
LOL! I think the other girls pretty much covered it La!

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
Are they really that anal about things like the colour of the notebooks? .
oh yes they are. LOL. Orange folder for the 'go home' folder, Red for the 'fix ups folder', and Green for the 'in progress' folder. every teacher has a different system and whoa is the kid that has the wrong stuff. LOL
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh!!! This is something fun...and would definitely LOVE to do this if my kids were going to public school...pick up a plastic lunch box at a garage sale and use your DARLING digital kits to make him a truly unique lunch box unlike anyone else's at school!!! I created this project for Kaboose (back then Kids Domain)...this was wayyyyyyyy back before I converted from paper to digital...Tony's pic with this treat box is on negatives...but I do have Brian with HIS treat box. Each time the kids brought those...all the kids in class knew my son had snacks for everyone! Instant popularity. ha ha

http://crafts.kaboose.com/personalized-lunchbox.html

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 07-12-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can you call the district office to ask about evaluations?

We have to register, but there is no evaluation--like for readiness or anything. We register in Feb/March for the fall. They check the date, residency status and make sure they are cleared(immunizations, pre-K med exam).

As for supplies, does the school have a website? If there is no summer school going on right now, the office is probably closed--district office is probably open. Some schools have a website(or their PTA) and then the teachers have website links off of that main one. We post the school supply lists on the PTA website.

As for backpacks... because we have a plastic envelope that goes back and forth every day(homework/papers, etc and notes back to the school too) and this envelope is 10x13", the smaller backpacks don't work. Our Kinders use the next size up backpack. (Thanks for posting because you just reminded me that I have to get one for my Kinder too!). They don't need a real heavy duty one because they are not carrying actual textbooks! Mostly papers and maybe their lunch box, and a jacket.

We are picking up our registration day(back to school) packets up on August 13th. Our Reg day, where we get teacher assignments, buy yearbooks, school logo stuff, etc will be Aug 18th and school starts for us on Aug 25th.

I would call the district office and also check out any websites--sometimes, your school may not have a website, but another school in the same district might--and they may have more general district info. Also, you may want to see if your PTA or other parent group sells the schools supplies in a kit. Ours does and for K-2, the materials just go to the teachers so they are all ready and stocked for the school year--and the parents don't need to go shopping.

I can send you a list of what our Kindergarteners need if that helps. The list was made up by our teachers, so it is not the end all list!

How exciting, Kindergarten! My ds can't wait to start. I am sure CE is excited too.
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I'm in denial.
I'm in major denial too! How could I have two precious babies leaving me to go to school. This can't be happening can it?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The Children's Place has great backpacks and lunchboxes. They hold up well and are a reasonable price.

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...0boy|backpacks
Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aside from the backpack and lunch bag, I would just wait to see what "list" the school gives you. I didn't have to buy any supplies for my Kindergarteners. Our school provided the basic supplies. They did have a "donation" list with stuff like kleenex, hand sanitizer, and snacks on it that you could choose to buy for the classroom if you were financially able to do so. Every school is different, so I would just wait.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

La I am so glad I am not the only one freaking out. I do know who DD's teacher is, but no list yet. I am flipping out?!? Doesn't EVERYBODY plan ahead?!! I know I will get a backpack she wants, and no lunch bag here, since it is only half day Kindergarten. Hopefully we will get a list soon... I hate last minute when it is a rush and everything is picked over!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our K's bring a lunchbox even if the don't officially eat there because they need it for 'snack recess'... which for some reason is a BIG deal at our school. LOL!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kelsie is going into Kindergarten too so we are getting ready to buy her supplies as well as Kaylie's who is going to be a 2nd grader. Our district just sent out the supply lists in the enrollment packets at the beginning of the month (they do mail in enrollment now for returning students) but it's also on their web site and we can usually find the list @ both Walmart & Target stores in the area. So you might be able to get ahold of a list that way.

As far as what they need for Kindy here, they do need a backpack that is large enough for a library book since they let the kids check out a book to bring home. I always let my girls pick out which ever character backpack they want, last year it was Barbie and Hannah Montana but I doubt Ce is into those lol! They don't need a lunch bag or box until 1st grade since our district is only half day Kindy, but if yours is all day then go ahead & get one, sometimes you can get a backpack/lunchbag combo that comes together. The other stuff they need here is 12 #2 pencils, 1 8oz Elmer's glue, 24ct crayons, 1 box Crayola markers, 4 glue sticks, pair of rounded tip scissors and watercolor paints. I think that stuff is pretty standard so you'd probably be safe picking up those things. And they also ask for Clorox wipes, 2 boxes kleenex, hand sanitizer and ziploc bags for the classroom to use. HTH
Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wes is starting kindergarten this coming year too. He also missed the age cut-off last year by only about a month, so he'll likely be one of the oldest in his class.

He's going to a local charter academy, so everything is pretty specific. They have specific uniforms which we have to buy from a certain store w/ the school's logo embroidered on it. And we've already gotten a supply list for what he needs to have. But I had to ask other moms about backpacks and lunch boxes, etc. He had a spiderman backpack and Cars lunch box last year for preschool (though he rarely used the lunch box), so we may just let him use those next year too. It's not like they wore out or anything. And since it seems we'll be spending a fortune on his uniforms, we'll need to save wherever possible.

Oh yeah, and he had his eval. back in the Spring.

Usually Walmart has all the local school supply lists, so you should be able to find what he needs there.

You'll be fine!!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ya'll are so cute.. it makes me smile to read the 'parent' side of school preparation. I have started my 'teacher' preparation and spent over $300 (of my own money) this morning preparing for the coming school year.

My 4yo is starting in the Early Childhood Collaboration program in my district that is offered to the kiddos of teachers (1/2 the cost of Primrose). Bub is used to eating a hot breakfast and lunch at Primrose so we have been practicing eating out of a lunch box. I would strongly suggest if your child hasn't eaten out of one before, to practice. It's been fun.. I'm learning what he can and can't open, what he likes to eat, etc.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

thanks for all the advice girlies <3 ... lol I really really really am trying not to panic. hahaha it's just not in my nature. The "evaluation" people are like........ outside of the school- it's kinda wacked I don't get it. All I know is what they kept telling me. when he was "in the system" I'd get a call....... And now I'm stressed because I know they're not "there" right now and enjoying their summer break ^_^ you know....... haha.

That's a good suggestion about trying out the lunch box and stuff first. He's usually the one who opens things for ME, so he'll prolly be fine.. but knowing our luck he'll suddenly not be able to open something random haha.

Seems like a step up from the teeny tiny backpacks is the best bet.. I didn't even think about art work or bigger things liek that having to fit in that. and ...... I have no idea what you are talking about L LOL... I'm assuming some sort of clippy thing to attach the lunch box right? haha
ps ce is in love with HM suddenly............. he's trying to kill me o_O lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
and they start aug 31st.. eek. lol
First day of school here is August 18th It gets earlier & earlier every year! My DH teaches 4th grade and has to report back the first week of August to get his classroom in order plus they have a couple of days of teacher inservice before school starts. I like to have everything ready ahead of time too so I need to get moving soon!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
ps ce is in love with HM suddenly............. he's trying to kill me o_O lol.
LOL there were a few boys in Kaylie's class that had serious crushes on HM too, there was one boy that I wouldn't have been surprised to see with a HM backpack @ school!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just checked our K list. There are some pretty generic items on it that you couldn't go wrong picking up now--Walmart already has a ton of school supplies! Some are specific, so disregard.

3 Elmer's large white glue sticks(22 gram)
1 Crayola Standard Crayons (16)
1 Crayola thin line mrkrs Classic Colors (8)
1 PaperMate black Flair pen 1
1 Large pink pearl beveled eraser
1 Expo low odor dry erase-black-chsl tip
6 #2 Ticonderoga pencils
1 Plastic string close envelope 10x13
1 Try rex jumbo pencils with eraser
1 5/8" plastic 3 ring binder
1 Pocket folders, assorted colors
1 Post it notes 3x3
1 Mr Sketch 12 CT Unscented chisel tip
1/2Ream copy paper
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just a FYI...check out the inner aisle ends at Target! I got a spiderman backpack last week for $3.49!!!

And just check on the "requirements" for backpacks...apparently our school district has banned the ones with wheels, I don't know why. Luckily Spidey is wheel-less!

Oh and mine starts Kindy on August 24th and we are out of town until the 21st!!! EEEEEK talk about cutting it close!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I taught kindergarten and first grade for 9 years before "retiring" to mommyhood.

Here's my 2 cents.......make sure you buy CRAYOLA crayons!!!

I am sure the local Walmart will have a supply list for the area schools!!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I usually buy the basics (pencils, crayons, glue, notebook paper, spiral notebooks, glue sticks, markers, colored pencils) when they go on sale about two or three weeks before school starts. I can get really good deals and stock up on everything (like last year I bought 40 one subject spiral notebooks). He might need a mat for naps. Mine did in pre-k and in kindergarten. The good news is if you buy to much you can always return it or use it at home.

As for testing we didnt have that here. They test the first two weeks or so of school and if they feel the child needs special classes (speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy or learning disability classes) then they have to first be recomended by the teacher or have it requested by a parent then they do several tests which takes a few weeks. My son is in occcupational therapy and speech therapy and he was tested in September his kindy year (which was several years ago) and we had the IEP meeting to place him in October-ish (IEP stands for Individual Education Plan). Don't panic...the first week or two they do not expect you to have everything and even if you do not have a list before school starts they will send one with him the first day. I know how nervewracking it is though and it is such a big step for your child to be starting school. I remember going through it three times over so I understand your feelings!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Michael is starting kindergarten this fall too. Our school said the only thing he needs to bring is his backpack (we are very fortunate that they provide everything else).
Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

DS was in kindergarten last year, all they needed (1/2 day) was a large backpack, no wheels, a box of kleenex and a cheque for $100.00 to cover supplies and field trips. It really depends on the school. This year his supply list is very detailed with brand names, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Don't stress La... kindergarten is one time when kids come in with such a huge range of abilities that no one ever knows what to expect. I'm a teacher and I still stressed (for no reason too!)

The before kindergarten "evaluation" is very basic (our district has "kindergarten round up"- a day when all the kids come up for it). They usually look to see if they know letters (which ones, how many, upper and lower, etc.), they'll talk to them and ask you some questions (strengths and weaknesses) and maybe have them draw a picture (a house, a person, etc. gives them idea of fine motor and shape awareness) and try to write their name. This gives them a better idea of what they already know going in. They REALLY do it to balance out the class loads between teachers.

Definitely get a good backpack (one with a good zipper- the cheapies always break and then you have to get a new one). And a soft-sided lunchbox is a good idea- we have full day kinder and so lunch is part of the program- plus if he doesn't need it you can always use it to picnic.

School supply lists are usually available way ahead of time (I know our office asks for out list in the spring so they have plenty of time for parents to order, etc.) Check your school's website for it.

Don't stress La- Ce will be just fine!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another thing to think about is that Target puts their school supplies on sale (huge discount) in September. I always go back after school has started and stock up on the basics for our house for homework. Garrett had homework 4 nights a week last year in K. It was easy peasy homework like writing his name or cutting pictures out of a magazine. But I am glad he has homework because now he will be use to it and they get a lot more in 1st grade.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

As a former K teacher, I'd say please make sure it's not one of those mini backpacks...folders and artwork end up having to be folded up to get them to fit inside.

And what else...RoseArt supplies suck LOL...they're cheaper for a reason.

I'd think the school would have a suppy list out already...our local stores have the school supply lists in store tooo.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

thanks girlies :]
the school website is crapp.. I've been checking it since I found out what school he's going to and nothing. The calendar isn't even updated. I have no faith in this school hahaha. I'll try to go to walmart (ergh) or something and see if they have any lists.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mnm_y2

Bryan just finished kindergarten and is getting ready to go into 1st. We haven't gotten anything for him yet... except I picked up crayons and markers REALLY cheap at Walmart last week.

* Don't get the mini backpacks. Bryan had one of those big yellow envelopes that came home and went back to school every day.
* Make sure the backpacks don't have the wheels. Those weren't allowed for Kindergarten and I think 1st grade at our school.

Wait for the school list. Our had some pretty specific items on it.

you're going to have so much fun! Kindergarten was a great experience for us
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Quote:
he's already registered.. he'll be turning 6 a few months after school starts- he missed out last year cause of the age thing. They said he has to be evaluated before anything gets going.. I have no idea why tbh. It's all just feeling totally wacko and unorganized ^_^
I haven't read any of the responses. But... Luke is being tested the week before school starts. And from the testing, they will put them in classes. We haven't gotten our supply lists either, but you should be able to go into the school's office and ask for one. I'm a teacher & we sent the lists home at the end of the year last year. and they wouldn't think twice about someone coming in and asking for one.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm ignoring all of you. I can't believe you are talking about going back already - we haven't even broken up yet!!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

we had to register but they did evaluations on the spot during registration time. DS1 was in kindy last year & DS2 will be in it this year

We got no information about supplies or teacher or bus schedule until a week before school started. (and we weren't on the bus schedule & were told to just stand at the end of the driveway at 7am & at some point the bus would come by & stop for us & if no one was there by 7:30 to call...yeah...) Our school system is totally shut down in July. Everybody is off so you cannot get any information out of them. They are picky about folder colors & materials, so prebuying isn't possible. Fortunately I was able to preorder this year's supplies for both boys so I don't have to worry about that this time

I spent some money on backpacks. I got really nice adjustable ones from Lands End, that grow with the kids. They were on sale but still spendy. However, they have a lifetime guarantee and I've already had one replaced because DS1 drags it on the ground. It's a $40 backpack but I'll get years of use & replacement from it.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Reading Resource teacher and I work mainly in K-3 (I pull groups and work in the classrooms with the regular teacher). I spend a lot of my time in Kindergarten so let me know if you have any questions.

What type of evaluation does he need? Also sometimes the schools will post the supply lists on the school website - otherwise just call the school and ask if there is anywhere the supply list is posted. Some schools do wait until open house.

Happy to create for:
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Our school sends out a list at the end of the year for what they'll need the next year. For those in kindy, they send them out via mail. They do have them at Wal-Mart too!

Rae will go half days, so she doesn't need a lunch bag. I like the soft ones though.

I second whoever said to get CRAYOLA. I get Crayola everything!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

this is always the most confusing of times... the wait! My kids are long past K but they are switching schools because their last one closed and happily I don't have to reegister them or anyhting, it will be an automatic transfer but I'm still wondering WHEN we'll hear anyhting about class schedules, shopping lists, transportation... I have 2 kids going to 2 schools now.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i laugh at you first-timers.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

aww this makes me sad. My oldest still has another year, but it's going to be VERY hard for me to let her go... and they are switching everyone to full day, and i really wish it was half day to "ease" her in. blah. why did i open this? good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No real help here - Aus schools may be different! I'm excited for both of you and just wanted to wish you the best!

From someone who just isnt anal about these things:
A paper bag will suffice for a lunch box until you are sure what size or type is best.
You could just pack a survival pack of pencils and rubbers and glue from what he's been using at home - bare essential stuff - he is not going to be creating an artist portfolio or be writing a novel during his 1st week of school. Our kiddos here dont have anything of their own until upper primary. School supplies stationery etc. Wait for the list and you know you'll shop right.

Kids are pretty resilliant as Im sure are most Kindy teachers! You'll not have to send him for psych treatment or put him on anti depressants f he doesnt have the latest and greatest from day 1. Im pretty sure it wont have any impact on his career potential either!

I know I have a warped sense of things but its all just commercial stuff and you'll find the profit margins shrink after the 1st week or 2 of school.

Enjoy the emotional ride - its the really fun bit!!

My Gallery

Last edited by Sue Setiadji; 07-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.