Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question toddlers in tiaras show

Has anyone seen the ad for this show (on TLC)? It looks so nasty! I don't understand why some parents would dress their young daughters up like hookers and put them thru the "beauty" contests! And I don't understand why any tv network would air a show about it?!?!?! It's so disgusting, in my opinion!

Have you seen the ads? What do you think?

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I remember when TLC first came on the air...it was "The Learning Channel"....of course, A&E was Arts & Entertainment...and MTV *gasp* actually played music videos.
I haven't watched the show...it has no appeal to me...I'm not into the voyeuristic watch-my-life kind of show. And I have a feeling I'd want to reach through the screen and smack the crap out of some of the parents.

That being said, if you REALLY want to see tacky, watch Spike LOL. My DH watches CSI reruns and Horsepower TV on the weekends (car repair, etc)...and the commercials for their other shows are repulsive.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I saw the ads last year, but not this year. I'm not a fan of the whole pagent scene and don't get it.

Don't get me wrong - I love trashy reality TV, but not when kids are involved.

I was in dance as a little girl & for our shows we all would have the hair curled and have makeup on and it was a "special thing" (oh how I remember blue eyeshadow and hot pink blush vividly....) and I LOVED it. But I danced my little butt off and was done. It was one weekend in Spring. A little different, though, than going through a pagent...
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I haven't seen the show but my brother's SIL puts her DD in pagents & has since she was about a year old. I've met her & some of the other moms in who do it through my own SIL. The little kids seem ok enough in a playground setting (her DD is 6 now & still competing) but OMG the moms!

I have mixed feeling about it. My brothers niece seems well adjusted enough, for her it seems to be like playing dress up with an audience, but I can't imagine in the long run such focus on appearance can be a good thing for a child
Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's sad when parents push their kids to do things like this...it's like they're compensating for their own bad childhood or something? I dunno.

I watched a show about it on Dr Phil or some other talk show, lol...it was really appalling! The moms would be like "she loves it" and they're showing clips of the girl saying she hates it and wants to quit...the moms are putting their entire families in debt for the pageants, photos and costumes.

I can see putting your baby in a "beautiful baby" contest or something, but why oh why subject your little girls to the constant pressure of being beautiful. Appearance is only skin deep - it's what's on the inside that matters, and these parents are totally pushing the wrong idea.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I watched a show of it last season and couldn't get over how much they do to the kids. It is insane how much makeup those kids wear!

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My niece does those pageants and while I am totally against the pagent scene my niece is the sweetest little girl ever. When she is not doing a pagent you would never be able to tell she does them. I think the pagents are more for the mom (or dad in some instances)...like a way to make them feel better about themselves. I also dont see the differences in the way some parents are about sports compared to some of the pagent parents.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I also dont see the differences in the way some parents are about sports compared to some of the pagent parents.
This is true. Parents can go overboard on a lot of things, pushing their children in competition in a way that isn't really natural.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I also dont see the differences in the way some parents are about sports compared to some of the pagent parents.
Yeah, I coach figure skating, and skated competitively for years. I have seen it, and it ain't pretty.

Any sport/pageant/hobby can be just fine, as long as the parents don't push and become over competitive.

I have never seen this show, so I can't comment on that. But I know if I could put Amelia in pageants, she'd do them in a second. She absolutely loves parading around and posing for the camera, but it's just not my scene. I realize that I'm in trouble as soon as she notices boys. Oiy.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I did many pageants and modeled through high school and can tell you I benefited from both. I think it's easy to stand in judgement of those of us who have chosen/choose to participate in such events. Pageants today are much different then when I was participating (the make-up, fake hair, etc. wasn't that big when I was in them) but the scholarships, experiences and skills learned are the same.

I disagree with saying parents are compensating for their childhood by putting their kids into pageants. I don't understand that statement. Why is it okay to put your child in a beautiful kid contest and not a pageant.. what's the difference?

Trust me, pageants aren't the only industry making young girls think their appearance is what is important... turn on the tv, flip through the magazines, watch a movie, look at Barbie.. our society is obsessed with beauty, being thin, looking young and that is not a result of the pageant industry.