Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I'm going to do a 30(ish) day whole-house cleaning

http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living...table-34444842

Thought it might be a good way to start out the new year. I keep my house pretty clean but I never feel like it's all done at the same time and there are things I keep meaning to do but never get to. I might take a little longer than 30 because I have 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and there is no way I'm going to get all those done in the time line listed here. The kids can help me with theirs, but still... not organizing 5 closets in 1 day, lol! Some things I can do multiple in a day.

Anyone feel like joining me? I was thinking I could snap a bunch of pics for the beginning of my PL album since it's more 'me' focused this year.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do something like this in spring.
when its warmer and you could open the doors and windows the whole day.
trow away a lot of stuff, cleaning everything, but it doesnt take me so long.
a couple of days.
this boys room are done this summer, got everything out, painted the walls, cleaned everything, ant trow a lot away, so only have to clean it.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

This sounds great, but I won't be starting until after New Years! I did a few of these things when DH was away last month, so that will make it a bit easier.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am going back through my house using the KonMari method (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo). I don't need to 'clean' as much as I need to go through everything again. I did this last summer and got rid of an amazing amount of 'stuff' that we just weren't finding any joy in. I had already planned to start over again and go through each category beginning Jan. 1st.

Plans change though. Now we will be moving soon. We are closing on a house on the 28th of January. Going back through everything will mean that I can organize before I pack and that we will only take with us what we truly love, need and use.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I am going back through my house using the KonMari method (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo).
My girlfriend used (uses?) that method and likes it. She's a big clutter bug. I loathe clutter and 'stuff' but I could still use some deep cleaning. I actually wish I had more things sometimes, because my house doesn't seem very 'homey.'

For example, this is my dining area. I've been here for 4 years but it never looks 'moved in'.

That's one of my goals for this year. To friggin' decorate! I always want to spend my money on books and restaurants
Old 12-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The method is pretty awesome, but it isn't about being minimalistic. It is more about surrounding yourself with things that bring you joy (in their function, in seeing them, etc.).

We were in this house for 5 years before we put anything up on our bedroom walls. We were here probably 2 before we put anything up in any room other than the living room (and we just had a few framed pictures of the kids). I never really had a sense of which direction I wanted to take our design so I didn't. Clutter though... we had plenty of that! I am keeping our current color scheme when we move because we have finally found things we love for the house.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe it would help me figure out how I want my house to finally look.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I desperately need to declutter! Starting with my bedroom, which always gets lost in the shuffle and is last to clean because no one ever sees it! That is a goal this week....to get a start on that!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have been decluttering (Organize) over the last year and really have cleaned up/organized. I do need to do some "deep cleaning" but plan on waiting until March/April so I can clean windows inside/outside.

I honestly do need to do a little "decorating" since I don't have anything on the walls in my living/dining room (combination room).
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I really like the concept of this, but I'd have to knock out several "days" on the weekends for it to work for me. I wish I liked cleaning, lol.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I wish I liked cleaning, lol.
You and me both!

I'll join in. Full disclosure - my follow through is absolutely terrible!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, not working in order, but I did go through and purge/organize all my food. I didn't realize how many expired food items I had laying around. Geez! Some I probably could've kept, but I figured if I hadn't used it yet then I probably wasn't going to. I pitched 2 garbage bags full of old stuff.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's a cool idea, I think I'll do it too!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lots of expired foods in the pantry - sounds exactly like what we had in my house a few months ago! My family did a huge house cleanup last March, and boy, it changed me a lot. We had a lot of stuff because we're a family that loves shopping, and now we still have a lot (still purging...), but thank God it's not as much as before. It was overwhelming to even begin cleaning up because of too much clutter.

Our family house is pretty big, so cleaning it is a huge task. There are 9 bedrooms, 2 living rooms / family areas & 8 bathrooms. It's actually 2 terrace-linked houses that are merged into one. Everyone in my family is either working, studying and/or have kids, so most of the daily cleaning jobs are done by me. We also have professional cleaners coming fortnightly for thorough cleaning.

I think that for that homey feeling, decorating will give you that. Have you checked out sites like dwellinggawker.com for inspiration? I like Scandinavian style for its simplicity, but our furnitures are traditional-styled. I haven't found an economical way to redecorate yet.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What a great site! Thanks for sharing it I am very simple and minimal which is why I don't put a lot of stock in decorating, but I always wish my house looked more put together. More grown-up or something.