Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-12-2021, 12:21 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default More health weirdness

So, I am experiencing more health weirdness and woes. This past Tuesday, I was outside and picked a few weeds from my flower bed. Like maybe 5 at most, because I have someone who does the lawn. Anyway, I woke up Wednesday with the right side of my face swollen. I took some Benadryl, which seemed to help, especially with the itch, and went about my day.

Thursday when I woke up, my right eye was almost swollen shut and the swelling in my face was back with a vengeance. I called the doctor, but couldn't get an appointment and was told to take, you guessed it, Benadryl. I did that and it seemed to get better.

But when I woke up on Friday, my right eye was totally shut and my face was on fire. Still can't get into the doctor, so I went to Med-Stat only to find out that my allergic reaction has an underlying infection and I needed to go on a stronger antihistamine, an antibiotic and a steriod. Let me just say, that combination of meds knocked me on my butt.

The cocktail seems to be helping because this morning when I woke up, my eye was not swollen, but my face is still red, hot, and itchy as hell. As a result, my skin is a mess. I am so dry and scaly it's embarrassing. Since I have an infection, I feel a little cautious about just putting on any moisturizer, so I have been using a medicated lotion for the last few days. Not helping at all.

Do you all have any suggestions for me? I need something that is going to provide moisture without a lot of other stuff that could make the infection worse. Not sure there is such a thing, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 12:26 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
So, I am experiencing more health weirdness and woes. This past Tuesday, I was outside and picked a few weeds from my flower bed. Like maybe 5 at most, because I have someone who does the lawn. Anyway, I woke up Wednesday with the right side of my face swollen. I took some Benadryl, which seemed to help, especially with the itch, and went about my day.

Thursday when I woke up, my right eye was almost swollen shut and the swelling in my face was back with a vengeance. I called the doctor, but couldn't get an appointment and was told to take, you guessed it, Benadryl. I did that and it seemed to get better.

But when I woke up on Friday, my right eye was totally shut and my face was on fire. Still can't get into the doctor, so I went to Med-Stat only to find out that my allergic reaction has an underlying infection and I needed to go on a stronger antihistamine, an antibiotic and a steriod. Let me just say, that combination of meds knocked me on my butt.

The cocktail seems to be helping because this morning when I woke up, my eye was not swollen, but my face is still red, hot, and itchy as hell. As a result, my skin is a mess. I am so dry and scaly it's embarrassing. Since I have an infection, I feel a little cautious about just putting on any moisturizer, so I have been using a medicated lotion for the last few days. Not helping at all.

Do you all have any suggestions for me? I need something that is going to provide moisture without a lot of other stuff that could make the infection worse. Not sure there is such a thing, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

Yes!!!
https://www.epionce.com/product/medical-barrier-cream/
I had a staph infection on my face and had to get on antibiotics ( I got it from a face cradle during a massage ) my skin was a wreck and this was recommended by my dermatologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 12:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness Lorie!

With all the treatment my skin is a mess of dryness and peeling. I used Eucerin Aquaphor, it is thick, almost Vaseline like but is safe to use on your face, lips etc.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
Yes!!!
https://www.epionce.com/product/medical-barrier-cream/
I had a staph infection on my face and had to get on antibiotics ( I got it from a face cradle during a massage ) my skin was a wreck and this was recommended by my dermatologist.

On it's way from Amazon as I type. Thanks.

And yuck to the face cradle thing. I would have had some words for some people.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 07-12-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Oh my goodness Lorie!

With all the treatment my skin is a mess of dryness and peeling. I used Eucerin Aquaphor, it is thick, almost Vaseline like but is safe to use on your face, lips etc.
I've been using Eucerin Skin Calming and it hasn't helped much, but I will check this out too because with my skin and the weird stuff that happens, it can't hurt to have it on hand.

I have to go to the pharmacy today to get more of the steroid, they gave me two prescriptions because they didn't want me to take it for long if I didn't have to, because this morning I woke up to it spreading back across my face and down my neck and chest. I swear I am not sure what it is going to take to get rid of this stuff.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 07-12-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to say sorry this happened to you, Lorie. Mother Nature can be a real you-know-what sometimes. I remember working out in the yard years ago and the next day feeling like I had a flu. Weird stuff!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Just wanted to say sorry this happened to you, Lorie. Mother Nature can be a real you-know-what sometimes. I remember working out in the yard years ago and the next day feeling like I had a flu. Weird stuff!
Thanks, Lynn. I am the Queen of Weird Stuff! Indoors and Out. LOL This morning at work, they are all looking at me and laughing again. I should have stayed home.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:52 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Do you often have this allergy? You definitely need an injection of dexamethasone, and most likely replace the fertilizer and plant treatment products (if this is the first time this reaction occurs).
Old 07-12-2021, 12:06 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
On it's way from Amazon as I type. Thanks.

And yuck to the face cradle thing. I would have had some words for some people.

I promise it’s the best and worth every penny.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLeslie View Post
Do you often have this allergy? You definitely need an injection of dexamethasone, and most likely replace the fertilizer and plant treatment products (if this is the first time this reaction occurs).
This is the first time for this. I usually don't touch the yard at all and just pulled a few weeds, with my hands, not my face, so I am not sure why my hands are fine and my face is not.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This is the first time for this. I usually don't touch the yard at all and just pulled a few weeds, with my hands, not my face, so I am not sure why my hands are fine and my face is not.
Could it be from something other than the weeds?

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I know you've already ordered something but I'm thinking shea butter or aloe vera wouldn't have too much other stuff with it.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So sorry Lorie! We've used the Eucerin calming in the past that you already have. Fingers crossed it starts to feel better soon!
Old 07-12-2021, 11:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
So sorry Lorie! We've used the Eucerin calming in the past that you already have. Fingers crossed it starts to feel better soon!
It usually works for me too, but this creeping crude is a tough nut to crack.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
Could it be from something other than the weeds?

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I know you've already ordered something but I'm thinking shea butter or aloe vera wouldn't have too much other stuff with it.
To be honest, I have no idea what it is from, just told the doctor what I had done and he said it was likely that. Surprisingly enough aloe vera dries my skin out like you would not believe, but I will look into the shea butter too. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2021, 12:06 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh my dear friend, so sorry to read all this. sending love and hopefully something that can ease your itch/allergy asap. xx
Old 07-13-2021, 09:40 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! Hope it clears up fast!

I don't really have any ideas to help much... when my kids had allergic reactions to things the docs would tell us to make sure the filters are clean in the AC and keep it running non-stop to help purify the air. Maybe that will help?

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-13-2021, 11:16 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to add: wash all of your bedding in hot water with "free and clear" type detergent.

I use oils for a lot of skin ailments. There's one by Eden's Garden called Soothe and Smooth that we've used for some of my son's skin weirdness and it's good. But at this point I would avoid it on the face. You can trigger other reactions and develop sensitivities to things when your skin is triggered like that. It's probably best to put very little on the skin except a very light, easily absorbed, lotion. Some thicker moisturizers might even trap the infection.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
To be honest, I have no idea what it is from, just told the doctor what I had done and he said it was likely that. Surprisingly enough aloe vera dries my skin out like you would not believe, but I will look into the shea butter too. Thanks!
Yes aloe vera kinda does that to me too.
Maybe look into some face oils too. It's quite expensive but I know Beautycounter is clean and I love their products. Their countertime face cleanser is very nourishing and I also love their Cleansing balm that you can use as moisturizer too (as well as cleanser and mask)

Brook, good call on washing the bedding. I wouldn't have thought of that!
Old 07-13-2021, 11:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Just wanted to add: wash all of your bedding in hot water with "free and clear" type detergent.

I use oils for a lot of skin ailments. There's one by Eden's Garden called Soothe and Smooth that we've used for some of my son's skin weirdness and it's good. But at this point I would avoid it on the face. You can trigger other reactions and develop sensitivities to things when your skin is triggered like that. It's probably best to put very little on the skin except a very light, easily absorbed, lotion. Some thicker moisturizers might even trap the infection.
Did the bedding first thing and then did it again 3rd day. Maybe I should do it again?

Saw my own doctor today and she gave me different medicine and after my first dose the itching was much better. She said with a reaction this severe it needed to be treated more aggressively than what they had me on. She also told me that if I ever had an emergency like that again, I was to tell them to fit me in that day and if they didn't, I was to ask to speak to her or a nurse. I lurve my doctor.

Also she said I have lost 10 more pounds, which was a huge surprise because I am really struggling with my diet these days. All in all a good visit and I hope the beginning of feeling much better. I think it will take some time and attention for my skin to recover, but as long as it stops spreading and the itching is under control, I can handle giving the skin time. It is embarrassing to have it looking so bad, and I can't hide it with make up because I don't wear it because I am allergic to most of it, so I just have to push through and ignore the looks. Yes, it is bad enough that I get looks in public.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like things are on the mend! Great news!

I’m still having peeling issues with my fingers and have been done the chemo for 2 weeks now. Hoping it rights itself soon as I don’t help by picking at it.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Sounds like things are on the mend! Great news!

I’m still having peeling issues with my fingers and have been done the chemo for 2 weeks now. Hoping it rights itself soon as I don’t help by picking at it.
I hope it does as well, Jaye, and don't feel bad about the picking. It is really hard not to pick at dry skin. It just is. Even when I know it will make it worse, I can't help but do it. Especially if it is itchy too.

Have you tried maybe to get a paraffin wax treatment on your hands? I would think that would help remove the dry skin so there is nothing to pick at and maybe make the skin underneath feel better. I love to have mine done because it is such a warm and cozy feeling. My hands are always cold, so it is like a tiny little tropical vacation. LOL Frankly, I just love being pampered, so any excuse to go to the spa is a win in my book.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:26 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I hope it does as well, Jaye, and don't feel bad about the picking. It is really hard not to pick at dry skin. It just is. Even when I know it will make it worse, I can't help but do it. Especially if it is itchy too.
Try having extremely dry skin in the inside of your nose and not picking at it because of what people think.

It gets so dry sometimes that if I blow my nose, it can start bleeding because of the dry skin breaking off. I've had a prescription in the past but I'm out and I don't want to go to the doctor to get it again. I just wish there was something I could buy OTC for it. Until then I use the method of breathing in steaming hot water for a couple of minutes. Bonus is that this clears out the nasal passages. And, I didn't have to buy anything special to do it. I use an old Rival hot pot express that I had hiding in the cabinet!
Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Did the bedding first thing and then did it again 3rd day. Maybe I should do it again?

Saw my own doctor today and she gave me different medicine and after my first dose the itching was much better. She said with a reaction this severe it needed to be treated more aggressively than what they had me on. She also told me that if I ever had an emergency like that again, I was to tell them to fit me in that day and if they didn't, I was to ask to speak to her or a nurse. I lurve my doctor.

Also she said I have lost 10 more pounds, which was a huge surprise because I am really struggling with my diet these days. All in all a good visit and I hope the beginning of feeling much better. I think it will take some time and attention for my skin to recover, but as long as it stops spreading and the itching is under control, I can handle giving the skin time. It is embarrassing to have it looking so bad, and I can't hide it with make up because I don't wear it because I am allergic to most of it, so I just have to push through and ignore the looks. Yes, it is bad enough that I get looks in public.
Lorie your doctor sounds so wonderful to be so accommodating!
Old 07-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Lorie your doctor sounds so wonderful to be so accommodating!
She is and she totally gets me too, which is why I lurve her. She knows I am not going to call and go in there unless I have a real problem, because I may lurve her, but I hate going to her. LOL
Old 07-14-2021, 10:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Try having extremely dry skin in the inside of your nose and not picking at it because of what people think.

It gets so dry sometimes that if I blow my nose, it can start bleeding because of the dry skin breaking off. I've had a prescription in the past but I'm out and I don't want to go to the doctor to get it again. I just wish there was something I could buy OTC for it. Until then I use the method of breathing in steaming hot water for a couple of minutes. Bonus is that this clears out the nasal passages. And, I didn't have to buy anything special to do it. I use an old Rival hot pot express that I had hiding in the cabinet!
My mom had a similar problem with her nose and with a weak blood vessel in there on top of it, so if it started bleeding it could get real bad. To help with it she would put a light coat of vaseline in her nose.. It worked for her.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m literally allergic to everything indoors, outdoors, and have food allergies. My allergist recommended I stay inside. Lol I’m also allergic to soaps, jewelry, shampoo, etc. coconut oil helps me the most when I’m having dry skin issues from eczema or anything.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Lorie, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Your doctor sounds amazing! And finding out you've lost 10 lbs is great news!!
Old 07-19-2021, 02:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks all. I am finally feeling human today. I still have some itching, but not the "rip my skin off" kind.

I was happy about the 10 pounds because I really struggle to lose weight in the summer. I don't like cooking when it is cold out, when it's hot, forget about it.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yay to feeling yourself again!! It's taken forever!
Old 07-20-2021, 08:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yay to feeling yourself again!! It's taken forever!
I know, right? I can't believe I am still itching even now, but it is manageable, which is a huge win.