Old 04-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 4/10

What's the last book you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

What's the last book you finished?

I've finished several books over the last two weeks.

Horns by Joe Hill - This was an odd read. I didn't love it, but it was okay.

Station Eleven by Hilary St. John Mandel - I really really liked this one...4 stars

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon 3rd book of the series and I'm totally hooked now. Oh Jamie

Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson - this is a YA Historical Fiction and a retelling of the Blue Beard Fairy Tale. It was okay..I liked Nickerson's first book better but this one was a nice quick read.

Rogues edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois I ended up not reading every short story in this collection but the ones by Patrick Rothfuss and George R.R. Martin were excellent. Some others were okay and some were just really bad (Gillian Flynn's was like something from a high school creative writing class)

On audiobook I finished Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire and narrated by Michael Page This was a middle grade fantasy set in late 19th century Russia. It was okay but I didn't love it.

What are you reading right now?

Mother of Winter by Barbara Hambly - this is the 4th book in The Darwath Series by Hambly...great series if you like adult high fantasy.

The Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill Middle Grade Fantasy..I'm only about 1/4 in but it's really good and I'll probably read it with my kids this summer.

On audible I'm listening to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - This is good..it's like historical fiction meets magical realism meets fantasy. Really good so far.

+

I'm also reading The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan with my kids.

What's on your TBR?

A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley - One of my fave author's new books and I can't wait to get to it.

The Returned by Jason Mott

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander #4)

Old 04-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Finished the following since our last thread ...

The Miniaturist - eh

Replay - loved it

Station Eleven - really enjoyed this one too

Edenbrooke - sweet, comfortably predictable romance, yummy.

Currently reading Grasshopper Jungle, but I don't know if I'm going to finish it.

Next up will likely be these ...

The Westing Game

The Book of Lost Things

Old 04-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh MIsty, wasn't Replay amazing!? I seriously loved that one SO much, and I think that's why I was disappointed in Harry August. I had just read Replay in December, so it was fresh on my mind when we chose the first quarter book club read.

The last book I read was The Martian which will be a movie with Matt Damon later this year. I absolutely can NOT wait. I loved this book so much.

I'm currently finishing up The Street Lawyer. Just classic Grisham, super easy to read.

Next, I need to read this one that I got from the library -

Then this one that the fabulous Jennifer Merkley gifted me -

THEN, I'll read Station Eleven for the SSD group read.

I sure wish I could read as fast as some of you guys! I'd love to be able to finish several books a week. I'm doing good to do 2 a month. :/
Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Misty I've heard grasshopper jungle is very strange. I'm interested to hear what you think.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Misty I've heard grasshopper jungle is very strange. I'm interested to hear what you think.
I haven't gotten very far. Based on the reviews I've looked at, it has gotten buzz due to some bizarreness in the storytelling and the authentic voice of the teenage boy protagonist. After reading for a little bit, I'm not sure I want 400+ pages of authentic teenage boy. It sounds something like, "I thought of Sweden and it made me horny. ... I thought of my girlfriend and my best friend and it made me horny. ... I thought of volcanoes and it made me horny." I'm hoping to hang with it long enough to get to whatever the innovative plot is, but I'm not sure I'll make it. I'll let you know.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last book finished:

Wow - this was so so good! One of those books that stays with you long after you've put it down.

Currently reading:

I'm not very far in, but so far it's very enjoyable.

Next up:

Just got notification from the library that this one is waiting for me! Really looking forward to reading it.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
Oh MIsty, wasn't Replay amazing!? I seriously loved that one SO much, and I think that's why I was disappointed in Harry August. I had just read Replay in December, so it was fresh on my mind when we chose the first quarter book club read.
I really liked it. The two main characters were so well crafted.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm new, but a book junkie! So I will jump in! I hope that's okay!?

What's the last book you finished? The Storied Life of AJ Fikry. (LOVED IT!!!)

What are you reading right now? Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult (also excellent as all of her books are)

What's on your TBR? LOTS! While We Were Watching Downton Abbey and/or The Rosie Project by Simsion next I suppose. I have Jane Austen's Emma, but I think I'm going to read some lighter reads on my shelf before digging into Austen.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephStrader View Post
I'm new, but a book junkie! So I will jump in! I hope that's okay!?

What's the last book you finished? The Storied Life of AJ Fikry. (LOVED IT!!!)

What are you reading right now? Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult (also excellent as all of her books are)

What's on your TBR? LOTS! While We Were Watching Downton Abbey and/or The Rosie Project by Simsion next I suppose. I have Jane Austen's Emma, but I think I'm going to read some lighter reads on my shelf before digging into Austen.
Welcome! Glad you jumped in. AJ Fikry was one my favorite reads last year.