Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Templates Help

Hi All, My name is Tracey and I am a newbie to this forum, this is my first thread other than some comments on the intro thread.

I have been a real life scrapper for years and years and have been doing digital scrapping since 2009. To date my digital scrapbooking has been a kind of weird individual style that I put together in photoshop with papers and elements from some kits I bought in 2009 and 2010. I have done a couple of "year" albums and our honeymoon from 2006 which was a HUGE undertaking - each album i have made I got printed and they are sitting in our book case for the kids to look at. I finished the honeymoon album this month and have decided to move on to our wedding album, the wedding album at the moments is printed out photos stuck on plain white background in a huge 12x12 scrapbooking album

I wanted to get some new kits for the wedding album because I have literally not updated my collection in years!! I found sweetshoppe and fell in love with the "I love you" kit, so I have got the kit and am ready to start BUT THEN I see below the kit some gorgeous suggestions for kit use - oh lordy I had no idea that the scrapbooking style had changed so much in the last 10 years (I must have been living under a rock!!) You would honestly laugh at some of my earlier digital stuff

So now i have a problem that has a couple of different parts:

1: I'm kind of OCD in my album looking all matchy matchy, I want to use the same kit for the whole album, but with using so many elements on each page I'm concerned I'll end up with all the pages looking the same because I have a limited number of elements to use

2. We have a limited number of wedding photos - our photographer was VERY expensive and his final book included what he considered the best 50 or so photos so I don't have heaps and heaps of similar shots to put on each page, I'm kind of limited to 1 or possibly 2 photos per page

3. Because I wanted to make the wedding album extra extra special I had thought of using templates but a lot of the templates for pages with 1 or 2 photos have the photo and elements clustered in the center, these are my wedding photos so I wanted to make the photos themselves the focus of the page - are there any templates that use a bigger single photo with less white space?

I'm really excited about getting the album started but have no idea how to get it going... does anyone have any suggestions with templates or ideas for my wedding album?

Thanks in advance

(I would love to hear what you all did with your wedding albums)

(sorry for the long post)
Old 01-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Welcome! Firstly we won't judge early digital pages as I know my early ones are laughable now (and I was on CT's then.... some of those layouts make me shutter! lol)

There are so many great templates in the store here. I would look for an album collection of template so that they all have a similar style. There are a few really great template sellers at the store here. Don't forget that even if a template has more photos on it that you want to put on a page they photo spot can be replace with elements or just deleted.

Good luck with your album! Mine is still sitting in a box from my paper scrapping days...
Old 01-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Welcome!!

I agree with what Suzs said. Album templates are awesome for that sort of thing.

For my wedding album, I didn't have many photos either. I wanted to use the same kit throughout, so I just kept it very very simple. I don't have any photos of the actual album. Let me see if I can find some of the digital layouts. I don't think I ever even posted them...
Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cindy has a lot of "Photo Focus" templates in the store. You can replace smaller photo spots with cards from the kit, or delete them and leave the focus on the main photo. Use the search box in the store, and click on "Advanced Search". Type in "Photo focus" and check the box that says "Use exact words". That will narrow down the search to just the templates you're looking for.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Forgive me for overloading the thread with images! This was my wedding album. I decided to keep it super simple to allow the photos and stories to really shine.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Aw Libby, that's beautiful!! I haven't scrapped my wedding photos. They're still in the same album I put them in straight after the wedding.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I did this wedding photobook for family friends. I used few kits and only few embellishments per page.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BcOXDlq4YsXYw

Last edited by monia13; 01-23-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Beautiful album Libby!!!

Welcome to the forum, Tracey. I love reading your story and about what led you here. The kit you picked out for your wedding album is absolutely GORGEOUS. I hope you will share the layouts with us when you finish.

Not only are templates very helpful for paper, photo, and element placement... they also include shadows so it will be a much faster process for you and might help you grow in your scrapping ability and try new things. Also, templates can be used over and over multiple times... you can delete papers and photos, or rotate the entire template for a whole new look.

I am usually a multi-photo scrapper so I lean towards that with my templates. But I do have a handful with 1-3 photos in the full page style. Maybe some of these would work for you? If you ever have questions about scrapping with templates feel free to ask here! I'd say *most* digital scrapbookers use them. And everyone here is super helpful.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:41 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Hi Tracey! I love the templates that Brooke creates and think they would look lovely for a wedding album. Don't forget you can rotate the templates to give yourself a variety of looks and keep things fresh in the album. I love the kit you chose, too!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for your replies everyone - i absolutely love the albums that you have shown, that is definitely more the look that I am after. Thank you for the templates Brooke, I will be using those ones for sure!

Brooke you mentioned that the templates include shadows but I couldn't make them work with the free template i downloaded to have a try. I could see the shadows on the layers I was using but then when i put my paper in it created a separate layer with no shadow. I had a brief look at the tutorials maybe i need to look again.

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial for Photoshop?

Oh and thanks for the comments on the kit I chose, My wedding dress, bouquet and bridesmaids were all pink and my husband's and groomsmen's suits were chocolate so the colours in that kit are just perfect for me!!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Tracey, it sounds like you need to clip your paper to the layer below it. Then the shadow will be applied to your layer too. On my computer I press Ctrl Alt G to group to the lower layer. There are 4 areas that might be helpful to you in the tutorial section. Clipping Masks, Photoshop, Shadowing, and Templates. Let us know if you can't find what you need.

Last edited by jacinda; 01-24-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Here's how I place papers in templates... I drag the paper into the layered template above the paper shape I want it to fill. Then, right click on the paper layer and select 'create clipping mask'. It will clip right to the paper shape. You can do photos the same way!
screen shots:

To use the shadows in a template for stuff other than papers just click, hold & drag the drop shadow words (next to the eye icon in a drop down below the layer) over the element you placed (like, a flower) and release. The layer style (shadow) will be on that layer now. Then delete the template flower that now has no shadow. I don't have time tonight, but I can take some video or screenshots of that tomorrow if you can't figure it out. Let me know.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oops, sorry my image is ginormous!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I did not know you could drag a shadow! Mind blown here! LOL! I guess I got too comfortable with my shadow styles and haven't ventured much beyond that!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
I did not know you could drag a shadow! Mind blown here! LOL! I guess I got too comfortable with my shadow styles and haven't ventured much beyond that!
Neither did I, learning something new everyday around here :P

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes, you can drag and drop any layer style to move it from template place-holders to your digi item. If you want the shadow to remain on both items you can also right click on the drop shadow style under the item and select 'copy layer style' and then go to the element you want it on and select 'paste layer style'.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
If you want the shadow to remain on both items you can also right click on the drop shadow style under the item and select 'copy layer style' and then go to the element you want it on and select 'paste layer style'.
Or you can just hold down alt (on a pc) and drag the fx to duplicate the layer style to another layer as well.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunnstergirl View Post
Or you can just hold down alt (on a pc) and drag the fx to duplicate the layer style to another layer as well.
SWEET!!! I didn't know that shortcut.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I din't know about the alt/drag thing either! Woohoo! I always used the copy/paste method.