Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-22-2021, 08:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Can never get enough of this...

What is the one kit subject/theme that you can never get enough kits for? For me it would be genealogy. I see a good genealogy kit, I am going to buy it, whether or not I have an idea on how or when I would use it. I am not a hoarder, but I am going to need all those for sure. Another one would be Disney. I will be needing those as well. LOL

How bout you, what is the one kit type that you just have to buy, no matter what? Maybe it is a theme like for me, or maybe it is a color scheme or something else. Whatever it is, share, so I can take notes and plan accordingly. LOL
Old 06-22-2021, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are too many, but if I had to pick one, I guess birthday. I don't have enough photos to use all the birthday kits that I have.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes to birthday kits! I use the same ones all the time. I also love outdoor kits, gardening kits, and museum/themed travel kits. There was a thread this week about a need for more kits that focus on historical parks and museums.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a sucker for Christmas kits. Also anything boy themed.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think for me it's more of a color appreciation (and you know that about me!) and sometimes even if I don't need that specific themed-kit I will still buy it because it's so pleasing to the eyes.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely agree with birthday! Also dogs, lol. I love all the dog kits I have but I’ve used them many times…
Old 06-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do not love themed kits. However, I have a hard time resisting beach/summer collections because I live in the land of eternal summer. That's not to say we live on the beach or even that we go to the beach that often, but in my heart, beach is life.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Disney, Christmas, Disney Christmas...LOL I am a hoarder of kits. I have more kits than I could possibly use....I am also a sucker for boy kits and outdoorsy type kits too.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Grungy boy kits for older teens/young men.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hiking/outdoors. It's one of our favorite things to do so we have lots of pictures.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:09 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Dogs for sure. I use the ones I have over and over (definitely gotten my money's worth out of them!)

What I really would like to see are kits (both theme and general) that are not focused entirely on kids. Us older adults have lives as well and our focus is not always kids (I don't have kids or grandkids). Put some generic elements in those kits that could be used for any age group.

Color wise, I love kits with purple, red and black all in the same kit. Not many of those around. And, the ones that have purple usually have pink and I HATE PINK so I don't buy them. In other words, I avoid a lot of kits that have a focus on the color pink. As an accent in the kit I'm OK with it but so many designers use it as a focus color.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, also 4th of July/Americana kits. I always need more. lol
Old 06-22-2021, 01:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love school themed and fall kits! I don't even know why but I have the most of those.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:23 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I love beach kits/summer kits, travel kits, and fall kits the most. I can't ever have enough of those.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Great information, Ladies! Thanks for sharing and if you haven't shared, please do. I love knowing what our community members want more of.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Outdoorsy, hiking, camping, nature... there will never be enough of these kits for the zillions of photos I take!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me: dog kits, football kits, older teens/young men kits.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:28 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For our current lifestyle (Alaska), outdoor/nature kits for summer & winter/snow kits for the other 9 months of the year
Old 06-23-2021, 07:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
For our current lifestyle (Alaska), outdoor/nature kits for summer & winter/snow kits for the other 9 months of the year
Alaska! Isn't that a huge swing from where you were this time last year?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Is it safe to say we need more masculine kits in the shop?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
What I really would like to see are kits (both theme and general) that are not focused entirely on kids. Us older adults have lives as well and our focus is not always kids (I don't have kids or grandkids). Put some generic elements in those kits that could be used for any age group.
Can you share some themes you would like to see in this area?
Old 06-23-2021, 12:46 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Can you share some themes you would like to see in this area?
I've already scrapped what I wished I could have found something else for so nothing specific comes to mind.

All I ask is that designers consider the older scrapper when designing their kits, especially kits that could be used for all age groups. Throw some elements in there that would work for an older generation and not specific for kids (for example in a dental kit, put dentures). If a kit is for a specific age group, then that's fine. I don't even look at baby kits since I have no need for them

And, I have to second the request for more football kits. I have football screencaps from some spring games this year and I'm tired of using the same kits all the time! I watched live stream games which is something different for football also.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh man do I love theme kits... I don't think I can limit to just one favorite. School kits are one that I just can not resist... and probably travel - that is mostly because I have like 20 projects of trips that are in various status of completion.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

"Tomboy" kits even though I wouldn't call my daughter one (and she wouldn't describe herself that way, either).

Most teenage kits are super gender-specific so it's either a pink (which she hates) kit with lots of references to makeup, hair, being a princess, etc. (which she hates) OR a "boy" kit with all of the wordart talking about being a boy/prince/heartbreaker and with elements like gears, tennis shoes, guitars, etc.

I know there are tomboy kits in the store but they tend to talk about playing "like a boy" and being outside/dirty which is not my daughter's jam, either. There are also non-gendered teen kits in the store but most are more themed ---- like driving or getting a job --- and I just want to scrap her everyday life.

I (mostly) solve the issue by using "boy" kits and leaving out the wordart & elements that don't apply to her but that often means there are not many elements left in the kit. I use the tomboy kits the same way.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Themes it would be more general kits. I don't veer toward themed kits per say. I love a good kit I can use for anything.

I tend toward colors more. If there's a good color scheme I like I will grab it more often than not.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I tend to splurge on travel kits even though I don’t travel as much as I would like but they can usually be used for everyday pages Nature kits, I think I own most of as I hit the trails and conservation areas quite a bit.

I tend to but Christmas kits even though I don’t make a big deal out of that holiday, lol.

Family kits are sometimes hard. Our family is two, myself and my 23 year old son. Kits that would work with older, adult children. Empty nest and how about an unValentine kit for us single folks . I also see a lot of patriotic kits for July 4th, could you add some red/white without the blue for us Canadians who celebrate July 1st? Skip the moose and maple syrup as not all of us live up North, lol.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for asking! I agree on the teen boy kits. A lot of the kits for teen boys are video games, sports, and moods, but I can't find enough kits that are good for everyday moments and that have a lot of non-flower elements. I can also always use older boy birthday and school kits. I've used the few that I have over and over!

The other subject I always need more of is Early American historical kits: Colonial Williamsburg, houses of the early presidents (Mount Vernon, Monticello, Montpelier, etc.), historic homes of rich and poor people, general stores, taverns, farms, the Revolutionary War, signing the Constitution, and so on. Even though my biggest need is probably the late-1700's through the early 1800's, I'd love more kits from the mid-1800's/Civil War periods, too. Or many early American time periods mixed together--I'm not picky!

Last edited by rach3975; 06-24-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:05 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Thanks for asking! I agree on the teen boy kits. A lot of the kits for teen boys are video games, sports, and moods, but I can't find enough kits that are good for everyday moments and that have a lot of non-flower elements. I can also always use older boy birthday and school kits. I've used the few that I have over and over!

The other subject I always need more of is Early American historical kits: Colonial Williamsburg, houses of the early presidents (Mount Vernon, Monticello, Montpelier, etc.), historic homes of rich and poor people, general stores, taverns, farms, the Revolutionary War, signing the Constitution, and so on. Even though my biggest need is probably the late-1700's through the early 1800's, I'd love more kits from the mid-1800's/Civil War periods, too. Or many early American time periods mixed together--I'm not picky!
The kit I am currently working on is a military genealogy one, so perhaps it will have some things in it that you can use.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:24 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Christmas and autumn themed kits are a real weakness for me. Oh, and Disney kits as well. Also, lately I've been getting a lot of beachy themed kits. The odd thing is, I don't go to the beach very much.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I can't resist a beach themed kit. Or anything with those ocean blues and greens. I also love the outdoorsy types of kits with a lot of greens and browns, as they work really well with where we live and our lifestyle.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love travel kits...

It's hard to say no to a good fall kit - especially if colors are a little unique (not just orange/yellow/brown)

I'd say there are not enough kits that are good for older kids - high school, college, adult kids - and also not enough masculine kits.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in a different chapter of my life, so themes aren't what I'm looking for at the moment. However if the kit is 1/2+ purple, you've got my attention!!

Old 06-24-2021, 08:35 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm in a different chapter of my life, so themes aren't what I'm looking for at the moment. However if the kit is 1/2+ purple, you've got my attention!!

I've got a purple car, does that tell you how much I love purple?

Old 06-24-2021, 08:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh I'm a sucker for almost anything.. but summer/beach types are always up there for me as I hate winter so much that anything summery is where I am at, lol
Old 06-24-2021, 08:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

LOL, I had a purple one too, for about 12 years and then gave it to our son when he got his license. I am a huge fan of red.. so now I have a red car and a very red house, lol
Old 06-24-2021, 11:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Lol, I once had a car salesman try to sell me a purple chevy cavalier. I could not get away from him fast enough! I like purple fine, but I am not a purple chevy cavalier person. My car is green.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:03 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Lol, I once had a car salesman try to sell me a purple chevy cavalier. I could not get away from him fast enough! I like purple fine, but I am not a purple chevy cavalier person. My car is green.
I had been liking the Chevy Spark for a couple of years and when they came out with the color "Kalamata" on the 2016 model, I knew I had to have it. Worked out since I was having issues with my SUV I had at the time.

I've seen another one several times in town parked at Wal-Mart. It was there for about 2 weeks parked away from the entrance. Made me think it was parked there by someone that was hitching a ride with someone else to go somewhere since it had Indiana plates.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I've always wanted a purple 1963 VW Bug!!
Old 06-25-2021, 12:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am a sucker for Disney, Christmas and fall kits. I would love to see more father-themed kits.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Alaska! Isn't that a huge swing from where you were this time last year?
Ha, yes! This time last year, we were "in between"--we were living in a hotel (103 nights!) while evacuated from our assignment in Turkmenistan & waiting for the go ahead to move to our next base in Alaska.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Also, yes to just great colors! I always "need" more kits that I can use in Project Life: nice color combos, general 'everyday life' cards & words.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Interesting.... I am all about outdoor kits. I didn't used to be but now we live in the country and I take a lot of photos of animals and such so the country or outdoor kits are my jam lately!

I also gravitate towards school kits since they work for me 3 fold. I have school pictures to scrap of my kids, I work in a school and I am a student.

I have trouble resisting kits that have to do with feelings, attitude, etc. Kits about grieving, depression, anxiety, positivity, fresh starts... you know, kits about life!
Old 06-28-2021, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like scrapping things that not necessarily go the "right" way.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Disneymits,travel/vacationkits, restaurant/foodkits