Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Online music/piano lessons

My girls take piano lessons every week but with the current COVID crisis, the music school is offering online piano lessons via Facetime, Skype, or Zoom. I am a little skeptical this method will be effective. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter is taking her guitar lessons through Google Meet. Guess we all trial and error it? Not sure how effective it will be but who knows. Kids are smart!
Old 03-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Obviously I'd prefer in person lessons but online is a good alternative. My kids have done it before with their teacher (my MIL). I guess it depends on how much you're paying for lessons though too.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
Obviously I'd prefer in person lessons but online is a good alternative. My kids have done it before with their teacher (my MIL). I guess it depends on how much you're paying for lessons though too.
I can say for my daughter, it's part of her music requirement for graduation. We don't pay for it, so I'm not too concerned. I am a little concerned how they anticipate doing a concert towards the end of the year, with all of the "meeting" together and playing for one another with their families
Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd say give it a try if your girls can play their instrument at home. My daughter is a percussionist, so she plays a wide variety of sometimes huge instruments. She can't take any of that home, so I'm not sure where she will be after all this is done.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
My daughter is taking her guitar lessons through Google Meet. Guess we all trial and error it? Not sure how effective it will be but who knows. Kids are smart!
Thanks, Wendy. You're right, I'm willing to give it a try. If we find it to be more challenging, we will wait until it's safe again to do face to face.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
I'm with you. Definitely prefer in person. My older one is not too thrilled about it but I'm glad she's willing to give it a shot.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I'd say give it a try if your girls can play their instrument at home. My daughter is a percussionist, so she plays a wide variety of sometimes huge instruments. She can't take any of that home, so I'm not sure where she will be after all this is done.
Yes, we'll try it and hope it works out! Thank you and good luck to your daughter.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a friend who gives piano lessons and has switched to using some sort of video casting app (can't remember which) as a way to continue that while practicing the social distancing. She has been doing it a couple of weeks now- she lives in Europe currently - and says it has worked pretty well, better than she expected. She said she had planned to have the students point their device at the keyboard from the side so she can see their hands during the lesson when she was first trying to figure out how it would work.
Hope you give it a try and that it goes OK!