Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Another Kindle Thread

Okay girls - do any of you have a Kindle? What are the pros and cons? Do I want one? My grandma just gave me a very generous monetary gift and I am thinking of getting a Kindle. What do you think?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the app for the Itouch and just love how I can read on the go. I have to admit I do want an kindle though so interested in seeing this thread.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted a Kindle for a long time but finally choose the Nook. It is my gift from my parent's so I don't have it yet. I just liked the look of the Nook and the color touch screen.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 PM

profile gallery send pm

Hmm. I hadn't heard about the Nook, but I just went and checked it out. And, I think I would choose it over the Kindle too.

Anyone else have opinions?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Can you order books from Amazon with the Nook? I am interested in both, and just wondered.
Thanks,
AL
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Isn't the "reading space" really, really small, compared to a page in a book?

I saw them on Amazon and thought they looked kinda neat, but my concern would be that the print/size would be too small.

Oh never mind...I just went and watched the video on Amazon.

Have I ever told you guys that you're a really bad influence on me? LOL I'm always seeing stuff that I just HAVE to HAVE! hehe

Last edited by Leah; 12-08-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love love love my Kindle. You can adjust the text size to be as big or small as you want. I just love how light it is. We have spent alot of time this last year in hospitals, doc waiting rooms, etc. with sick family members and it has been a lifesaver. I always tried to carry books with me but I love that you can get the instant download so once you finish a book you can order your next one immediately. Or if you want to have several different kinds of books going at once, you can, without having to tote them all around. I also have an iphone but its way to small for me to enjoy books on personally.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohlala View Post
Can you order books from Amazon with the Nook? I am interested in both, and just wondered.
Thanks,
AL
No. You buy the books from Barnes and Noble. However, it looks like the eBooks for the Nook are in a format that works on different readers. It doesn't HAVE to be a Nook. The books for Kindle only work on a Kindle. Also, the Nook has a color display. And, it looks like they have a program where you can share your eBooks with a friend for 14 days, which is cool. AND, it seems as though B&N has a larger library of available eBooks than Amazon has.

As I looked at it, the Nook has pretty much everything that the Kindle has with the addition of a few great features. So, that's why I think I would lean toward the Nook at this point.

The only problem for me is that the Nook isn't shipping until January 15, and I am not good at waiting!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Is the Kindle easy to use in Canada? Are there any additional costs involved??
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i've got a kindle - love love love it i've had it for well over a year (not sure exactly when i got it ... it's been a while though!) i also use the kindle app on my iphone too - a LOT - b/c i read in the dark a lot and like the backlit screen ... i'm not familiar with the nook, but it sounds great ... in general, i think eeaders rock!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I recently compared ebooks to get one for my dd for Xmas. I first saw the Nook which got me interested. I really liked the Nooks features, better so than the Sony version. I too noticed that the availability date for the nook was sometime after the new year. But then I saw Amazon had the Kindle. And my biggest question, since both Nook and Kindle have very similar basic specs, was the selection and availability of books. Sure, Nook is cool if you go into B&N and can download materials with their wifi. But in comparison, the Kindle has 3G network and you can download materials from practically anywhere the network reaches! That is what really sold me. Plus, I compared many of the book prices on titles we would buy and they prices were equal. I believe both B&N and Amazon to have extensive selections so really, there isn't much difference between the two.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 PM

profile gallery send pm

Actually, the Nook uses the same AT&T 3G network that the Kindle uses. But, you can also use the free Wifi in their store if you are there. The free Wifi isn't that big of a selling point in my opinion, but they do have the 3G network.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Anybody know if ebook prices are cheaper at BN if you have a membership there?