Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl
Default What do your kids eat for breakfast??

I haven't ever had a problem getting Abby to eat, until she had to eat breakfast at 6:30. Now I'm lucky if I get 2-3 bites of anything down her. I've tried eggos, cereal, eggs, pop tarts. She's starving by snack time, and almost every morning so far on the way to school she tells me her tummy hurts and I tell her it's b/c she didn't eat, and she says she'll eat the next morning.. and no. Granted, we've only done this 5 mornings now, but still. Help???
Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Granola bars, yogurt, toast, bagels with cream cheese, cheez-its

Is she allowed to bring a snack with her in case she gets hungry? My daughter can and I usually send along a box of raisins or cheez-its or the gold fish crackers.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

on school days, my kiddos get up at 7:15 and get ready (dressed, hair brushed, etc) before I have them eat breakfast. They will eat upon waking up, but I find they eat a little more if I let them "wake up" a bit first. I'll let you know in two weeks how long it takes them to adjust. hehehe They are all still asleep usually when I leave for work at 8:45, and have done so for almost the entire summer.

Anyways, they eat either toast/bread with PB&J, a bowl of cereal, 1/2 a bagel, or 2 eggos. I am normally trying to get myself ready in the morning as well, as we all get up at the same time and have to be out the door around 8:30 (I drop them off at school on my way to work).

I've also known them to polish off a granola bar at school while waiting for the bell to ring. Although they do get a snack break before (and after) lunch, usually they eat their "snack" for the day when they get hungry.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids get free breakfast at school, but I still try to get something in them in the morning.

Drinkable yogurt, homemade smoothies (fresh or frozen fruit, yogurt, juice), mini pancakes (make on the weekend, freeze and reheat), yogurt covered raisins, peanut butter on bread (or a peanut butter lollipop which is pb on a spoon), cut fruit, hard boiled eggs (easy to eat in the car!), little bagels w/ cream cheese or jelly or ham(even a half is good)

I think the key is to get a combo of protein and carbs for sticking power.

Instant breakfast (even a half a glass is better than nothing), cut cheese and crackers, pb crackers, cold pizza. Banana or zucchini bread with cream cheese on it.

My kids don't like to eat first thing either, so I can't say that's I've got this down yet myself. I just try to mix it up and offer different things. If they really want something like ravioli or soup (which happens with my 5th grader) then I say yes, because at leasts it's food for the brain and better than a cinnamon bun or doughnuts.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

We rotate breakfast on a weekly basis but it's pretty much always the same thing. They get some sort of pankcake, etc...but always dry, with no syrup. They don't know what syrup is yet thank goodness so we can get away with it.

One week, we do the mini eggo pancakes, the little tiny ones. The next week we buy all natural blueberry pancakes (the full sized ones). The next week we do chocolate chip waffle eggos ( full sized) or the cinnamon mini waffles. The fourth week we do french toast sticks. The kids' lunch is normally a plate of fruit, pretzels, and a turkey roll up or pbj. We have found they do best if we keep them guessing though some kids may do better with routine.

My favorite trick is 3 oz dixie cups. My kids will eat almost ANYTHING if it is in a 3 oz dixie cup that they can carry with them. We put raisins, mini marshmallows, grapes, goldfish crackers, cheese cubes...gosh they just love their little cups!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

oh and Sara, Nathan did this when he was in first grade...didn't want to eat at home but he was a walker, walked to school...so I'd just make him a turkey sandwich or send a bagel or something, and he'd eat on the way to school instead...made a difference of a half an hour and let him eat on his terms. Of course now he's in fourth grade and eats me out of house and home, all hours
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine hasn't started school yet but I'm afraid we'll have the same problem you do. Avery won't touch anything until he's been up at least an hour and then he is the SLOWEST eater. I mean like he'll sit at the table for 30-40 minutes. Drives me nutty. So I'm already worried about next year when we have to get into high-gear in the mornings for school.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Um, I'm 26 years old and I can't eat anything at 630 in the morning. :P Jordan can't eat that early either and would rather starve until lunch.

What about a granola bar, or something small she can eat in the car on the way to school? Some people really just can't stomach anything that early in the morning.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Eggs and cheese, oatmeal, toast with P.B. and syrup, fruit, or (homemade) protein bar (they are really yummy, very filling, and healthy)...sometimes cereal..just depends on the morning.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We usually just do easy cereal here, sometimes we'll do waffles or pancakes, just depends on the morning.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Right before he leaves for school, my DS eats an Eggo waffle or oatmeal or toast or cereal or whatever. He can't eat when he first wakes up, so he gets all ready for school, then he eats breakfast.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls. I'm going to try letting her get dressed and everything first tomorrow morning and see if she will eat. If that doesn't work, I'll try a pop tart or a nutri grain bar or something on the way to school.

Thanks for the instant breakfast suggestion, Juli, that was one I totally had not thought of!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn7 View Post
Granola bars, yogurt, toast, bagels with cream cheese, cheez-its

Is she allowed to bring a snack with her in case she gets hungry? My daughter can and I usually send along a box of raisins or cheez-its or the gold fish crackers.
They get snack at school.. at 10ish I think.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
My kids get free breakfast at school, but I still try to get something in them in the morning.

Drinkable yogurt, homemade smoothies (fresh or frozen fruit, yogurt, juice), mini pancakes (make on the weekend, freeze and reheat), yogurt covered raisins, peanut butter on bread (or a peanut butter lollipop which is pb on a spoon), cut fruit, hard boiled eggs (easy to eat in the car!), little bagels w/ cream cheese or jelly or ham(even a half is good)

I think the key is to get a combo of protein and carbs for sticking power.

Instant breakfast (even a half a glass is better than nothing), cut cheese and crackers, pb crackers, cold pizza. Banana or zucchini bread with cream cheese on it.

My kids don't like to eat first thing either, so I can't say that's I've got this down yet myself. I just try to mix it up and offer different things. If they really want something like ravioli or soup (which happens with my 5th grader) then I say yes, because at leasts it's food for the brain and better than a cinnamon bun or doughnuts.
You're a saint Juli, I hadn't thought of most of this. Seriously, thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom.mia.kai View Post
Eggs and cheese, oatmeal, toast with P.B. and syrup, fruit, or (homemade) protein bar (they are really yummy, very filling, and healthy)...sometimes cereal..just depends on the morning.
homemade? do you have a recipe? she might eat it if she helps me make it.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Banned

profile gallery

We mostly do cereal. I do fix the usual of pancakes, waffles, eggos occasionally. I have to agree with the Instant Breakfast. I can get my oldest to drink that if he won't eat anything. We usually don't have this problem though. Good luck
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Thanks girls. I'm going to try letting her get dressed and everything first tomorrow morning and see if she will eat. If that doesn't work, I'll try a pop tart or a nutri grain bar or something on the way to school.
Yeah, we eat as the last thing before leaving for school. Or you could keep your same routine and then keep a baggie of cereal in the car for her to continue to eat on the way to school.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Alex has always got up at silly-o' clock, and he has what he calls his two breakfasts: first breakfast (about 6.30) its a simple fruit yogurt or a small brioche (usually with chocolate chips), something quick he can just eat and go. Then at about 7.20 he has his second breakfast which is usually a bowl of cereal or some toast with a banana and a glass of milk.

He gets given a piece of fruit at school at breaktime, but I usually add an extra piece to his bag just in case, but nothing else is allowed.

He's now 6.5, and I had to increase what I was giving for lunch - plus I have always had a cereal/ granola bar in my pocket for our walk home when he is starving. He'd graze all day if he could!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Chloe sometimes will not eat in the morning; i get her up at 7 for her bath then she gets dressed and if she does eat its usually cereal or toast. i'm not big on cooking breakfast, atleast not that early, lol. i'm not a morning person!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We do cereal a lot or frozen waffles/pancakes. The boys also really like granola bars or Special K bars and bagels.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

My girls aren't in school yet (in the morning) but neither one of them are breakfast eaters. We normally wind up eating in the car as we're going to run errands or whatever. Waffles, french toast sticks, nutrigrain bar, granola bar, hashbrowns or even bacon and sausage.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Landon and I are not breakfast eaters at all...I'm just not ready to eat until I've been up for a bit. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to really affect his concentration or anything in school. He does have a snack late morning...granola bars, apples, crackers, etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My kids are up at 6 am every morning & have been since birth so they are used to eating early, but they don't generally eat for a half hour or so after they get up. They get dressed and ready to go, they they have cereal or oatmeal or cheese & fruit or yogurt. They ride they bus and are not allowed to eat on it. Neither of them has snack or lunch scheduled until 10:30 at the earliest so I insist they eat breakfast.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cereal, Waffles, Bagels or English Muffins, Eggs & sausage...just depends on the morning and what I feel like doing!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

On weekdays my son has a little cereal, OJ, and sometimes a banana. On the weekends we make eggs, or pancakes, etc... the good breakfast stuff. (He's 4 years old)

My daughter has the booby-juice everyday (and every meal) (She's 2 months old)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Im the same way I dont usually eat anything until lunch. My kids will grab something small if they are hungry but usually getting a drink is enough to keep them from starving between breakfast and lunch. Maybe instead of giving her solid food type items give her some applesauce, juice, drinkable togurt, smoothie that type of thing so she isnt eating but still getting something in her tummy

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Luckily mine goes to daycare and eats at school when he feels like it, but he loves cereal and yogurt. I, too, think something she can eat while you drive would be good.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My boys LOVE english muffins or 100 calorie bagels with butter and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on them.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
Banana or zucchini bread with cream cheese on it.
Recipe please.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have my girls get ready for school before eating, so all they do afterwards is brush their teeth and get shoes on to go out the door. They usually just eat cold cereal, sometimes my older one will ask for oatmeal. Many times as we are walking out the door they are both still a little hungry so I let them grab a pop tart, granola bar, toast or eggo waffle to munch before they get into class. I don't mind them eating in the car and we keep paper plates handy for catching crumbs. At school they can also have a morning snack, like granola bars, crackers or dried fruit and if they aren't hungry for it, they can save it for the next day.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

mine eat after they have gotten ready, watched some cartoons, often played a bit so they work up their appetite. they eat around 8:10 before i take them to school.

they eat either: bagel with cream cheese or butter, granola bar, cereal or a piece of fruit (apple, banana or orange).

Last edited by lizzyfizzy; 08-26-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
100 calorie bagels
I've gotta find some of these. I love bagels but I'm afraid to eat them most days!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I've gotta find some of these. I love bagels but I'm afraid to eat them most days!

They are the smaller sized bagels and in Super Wal-mart they are right with the other smaller sized bagels. I haven't seen them at Super Target recently. They are a little bigger than the small bagels, but a good chunk smaller than the regular big bagels. I wish they came in flavors or whole wheat, but at 100 calories you can't beat if you really like bagels.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I wish they came in flavors or whole wheat, but at 100 calories you can't beat if you really like bagels.
I see on their website that Thomas has whole wheat mini-bagels, but they don't seem to advertise them as 100 calorie, so they must be somewhat more.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Mine usually eat cereal, frozen wafflesyogurt or toast during the week usually. On the weekends I'll make muffins or cinnamon rolls or eggs and bacon. They used to eat as soon as they got up but not so much anymore.