Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default So...What is your Job ???

so I got to thinking....I know what a few of you guys do here, but was curious what everybody's "job" is that includes all of you SAHM's cause I KNOW you guys do alot...so if you don't mind, share what you do for a living and do you love it?

I'll go 1st:
1. I retired after 20 years in the Navy as a medical labortaotry technician {didn't always ♥ it, but the places I got to see and the friends I made, made the whole 20 years worth it }
2. was a SAHM for 11 months after I retired and went back to school full time for 6 of those months!!! neither of those were for me
3. got a job at the Veteran's Administration Clinic drawing blood {phlebotomist} 2 miles from my house working Mon-Fri 0730-4, every holiday off and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it {even though somedays my back kills me}...but working with VETS that totally appreciate everythign you do for them makes me happy
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a stay at home mom for the past 12 years now. Before being a SAHM I worked for American Express, training new hires for customer service .... just, ugh!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, I'm a designer for this little digital scrapbooking store online. Maybe you've heard of it.

Seriously though, before that, I was an orthodontic assistant. I sometimes miss working on teeth but not enough to give up the best gig ever!

Before THAT, I was a sahm.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks or posting this, I always find it really interesting to learn more about what other mothers do to fill their days.

Outside of being a mom, I am a project manager, specializing in mergers and acquisitions for a Fortune 100 company. I've worked in the insurance industry for many years. I am fortunate that I really only spend two hours a day away from the kids during the day (other than what they would spend at school). I was a SAHM for about 8 months and it wasn't my cup of tea ... and now that both kids are in school, there is no material difference anyway, lol.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was an Army medic for 15 years, then left to raise my family. Was then lucky to be a stay at home mum for 6 years which I really loved. I now work part time (school hours only) a few days a week for the local kindergartens as a relief teacher/admin assistant/cook.

I'd still rather be a full time SAHM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I'm a SAHM, but I spend most of my days at the school volunteering. The thought of going back to work full-time scares me...but I know one day it will come. I just love what I'm doing so much that I hate to think of it any other way.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I'm a librarian. I've worked in libraries since my first day in college. Though I loved reading and books my whole life, it never really crossed my mind to be a librarian. But second day of working in the library, I knew that's what I wanted to do. Many years of school later, and I can call myself a librarian!

When I had my DD, I knew that being a SAHM wasn't for me. I love being a mommy and I love being a librarian!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM for almost 6 years now! Love it! I am loving being at home full-time and dabble in small money-making things like Etsy or design work here and there. My career-skills are in the Fine Arts. I have a bachelors in Fine Art with an emphasis on painting and a minor in graphic design. In college I worked at Starbucks and became officially addicted to coffee. THAT was a fun job! After that I worked in graphic design doing flyers, newsletters, bulletins, logos, etc. After that job I settled into a wonderful job designing stage sets and leading a group of artists.

My dream is to someday be a painter and illustrator for children's books... but I haven't dabbled in my paints and things for a long time. I need a studio! Digi design seems fun, too. I may do that someday if I can get my act together and try my hand at making kits.

Last edited by YepBrook; 03-12-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I worded things all screwy... here to fix it. :)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I am a property/casualty/life/health insurance agent.

Prior to that I spent 5 years as a 7th grade SPED teacher.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I've been a SAHM for about 4 years now. I can't wait to go back to work once my girls are in kindergarten. Eventually, I'll go back full time, but I'll ease into it first. Before being a SAHM, I was a physical therapist specializing in geriatric care. Helping people, especially older people, regain their mobility is so rewarding. I miss it a lot.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have never been a SAHM, save for the 3 months I took off after each boy was born.

When I graduated from college, I worked as a dietary manager at a small nursing home until I came upon my one true love, the WIC program. It was a dream of mine to use my nutrition degree to work for WIC, and now I do! I work 28 hours a week - I'm off Friday thru Monday (so work only Tues thru Thurs) and it's a job that I can leave at work...I don't bring any of the work or baggage home with me!

I'm definitely not cut out to be a SAHM, as much as I love my sweet boys, I am missing a certain element of patience and I'm afraid we'd all be in the looney bin before long!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I work at a Fortune 100 construction company. My official title is Technical Writer, which I have been for over 10 years, but when I returned from maternity leave a new position kind of fell into my lap. So now I administer the Intranet/Extranet websites and provide training and support for all of the users across North America. It's the first time in my adult life that I can actually say that I love my job.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to be a phlebotomist Angie. Loved the job, but not the people I worked with.

I stayed home with my kids for 8 years, took my Early Childhood Education, provided child care in my home and then recently went back to work outside the home just this past fall. I help teach in an everyday/all day kindergarten class. (the all day/everyday is a new pilot project that is running in 4 schools). I absolutely love my job. I love the kids and I love the work. I was meant to be a teacher.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM for the last three years. Which I (mostly) love. It was the only job I've ever really wanted, and I'm lucky enough that my dh is willing to work two jobs so I can be home full time.
Before kids, I did a bunch of things. Worked in a donut shop, did payroll for aged care facilities (I loved that job), and worked as a photographer both in a studio and for myself. For me, being a mummy is the best job (tho I still class myself as a photographer, my poor kids have thousands of photos)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

wow some of you guys have the coolest jobs and to all you SAHM's BRAVO & KUDDOS for all you do at yoru kids schools for those of us moms/dads that can't always make it to school to volunteer!!!!!!!

p.s. Kate I think that is soo cool you are a librarian and Sheri I am totally gonna have to make a trip to Seattle and get to meet up with you in person
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am an attorney. Specifically an Assistant Attorney General for the state. I represent CPS in dependency cases. Before that I was a criminal defense attorney. Other than some jobs in retail, being an attorney is the only thing I have ever done.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
wow some of you guys have the coolest jobs and to all you SAHM's BRAVO & KUDDOS for all you do at yoru kids schools for those of us moms/dads that can't always make it to school to volunteer!!!!!!!

p.s. Kate I think that is soo cool you are a librarian and Sheri I am totally gonna have to make a trip to Seattle and get to meet up with you in person
We should get together! Definitely track me down next time you're in the Seattle area!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I was a pre-k & k teacher/librarian (taught and AM class and then was librarian for K-8 in the afternoon).

After I moved to OK, I was burned out on just about everything LOL and worked as a HS library assisant for 2 years; then I quit to be a SAHM.

Now I'm volunteering in the school library several days a week, taking a class at church, volunteering at church, and being wife & mom.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

I worked as a telco engineer and eventually became an IT person and spent over 12 years in the corporate world.

My husband and I decided that I should stay at home when the girls are 5, it was in October of 2010 . They are not growing the way we wanted them to be - behavior changed, eating habit turned bad, etc. I have been a SAHM since then and loving every minute of it.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Liz do you love being an attorney? I know that can be a very demanding job, so I was just curious
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

currently? a full time student, studying graphic design.
before i went back to school, though, i was working as a nail technician/manicurist. it's something i always have to fall back on. i kinda miss it, even if i used to complain a lot about work. i miss the interaction with customers, and i miss having all of the "industry" news.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sheri I bet I can guess the company you work for based on your location.

I work in Competitive Intelligence for a Fortune 500 insurance company in property and casualty insurance. Basically, I monitor what competitors are doing in the news, watch the industry, run financials on competitors and stuff like that. My work is filled with spreadsheets and powerpoints.

I too am fortunate that my kids are only without me a couple hours a day and my work hours are flexible.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kate I should have added I have a master of library science and consider myself a librarian, I used to work in corporate libraries and even was the director of a public one for awhile.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i'm a SAHM....but i babysit in my home as well. right now i have 3 kiddos after school and 3 kiddos here with me during they day (plus my 2) there are days it gets hectic, but i love that i get to stay home with my kids as well as bring in some cash for me as well.
before that i worked as a bank teller at the little bank here in town.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I work full-time in the Air National Guard in Security Forces (basically a military cop). I did take off 2 years after my son was born (from full-time still had my drills and a part-time photography job), that's not for me. I have only had 1 other full-time job in my life as a Customer Service agent for a credit card company, but I have had many part-time jobs over the years. I do love my job, but I wish it was a Monday-Friday, holiday and weekends off kind of job. It would make life so much less stressful now that I have a child. I do wish I had used my degree for something and had gone to law school like I planned.

Last edited by lovely1m; 03-12-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
Sheri I bet I can guess the company you work for based on your location.
I'll take the other 2 guesses that Celeste doesn't guess lol

only 3 companies I think to choose from

I used to be a financial analyst before the whole economic downfall

Now I stay home

Thinking of teaching high school business math next year (I have a bachelors in finance and masters in business..my state lets you teach thru a program if you have a college degree) but beyond sending in my resume to the board of education I haven't pursued it.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Liz, my BIL is an atty for the AG too.

Celeste, your job sounds super interesting!!! That is right up my alley. I work in the product and actuarial organization and frequently see competitive intelligence data.

Meghan, lol, you're cracking me up! Now I'm curious where you all think I work!

I guess it's not too much of a mystery since it's in my FB profile

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-12-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

omg...Sheri I would totally have guessed wrong LOL!!!!!

p.s. I went and looked on FB LOL!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a blogger by trade. I love writing and I've become pretty dedicated to it- I've even been featured on several press pages (which isn't really a big deal, but it felt like it to little old me... lol)

I also sell Scentsy (and occasionally mark. cosmetics, but I'm only really a rep with them so I can get a discount on products I buy a LOT). Oh, and I co-teach my 11 year old brother (homeschooled) and I'm a SAHM.

So... not much

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

well..I wasn't thinking that haha. Didn't think it was a fortune 100 hah (I know it used to be)

was thinking Nordstroms or Starbucks

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a work-at-home mom. I create commercial use products for my own online shop, otherwise known as Rachael's Scraps

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since you said fortune 500 I would guess liberty mutual/safeco.
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just realized my job title is listed on wrong on FB. I used to manage the contracts division, but I changed jobs last year. Oops. LM is the 82rd largest company in the U.S. and the 6th largest insurer in the world. Believe it or not, neither Starbucks nor Nordstrom make the top 100 .. Microsoft, Costo and Amazon (just barely) do.
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
Since you said fortune 500 I would guess liberty mutual/safeco.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Surprised about Starbucks..I used to keep up but now that I don't work outside the home anymore I haven't needed to haha

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm a newly licensed (aka unemployed) attorney. Right after I graduated law school and took the bar, my husband got offered his dream job in another state. So we moved, I took the bar again, and now my job is job-hunting.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM for the past 3 1/2 years. I am beyond thankful we are able to afford for me to stay home but I will gladly go back to work once Aiden starts school full time. Before that I worked for Sprint handling their PUC complaints.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
Liz do you love being an attorney? I know that can be a very demanding job, so I was just curious
You know, 99.8% of the time yes I really do love it. It is a demanding job but I work with some amazing people at my office and with CPS and the service providers. And I know that my work makes a difference, which is extremely fulfilling. It is the days that I get very overwhelmed that I think about doing something else, but I'm really only trained for this!

I did work from home about a year with my girls and it was incredibly overwhelming and scary and depressing for me. I don't know how SAHMs do it because I am certainly not cut out for it!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a SAHM to 3 kiddos, which I love and am so thankful to be able to do. I'm also a worship leader at our church. We started a new church with my father-in-law last Easter, so it's not like a paid position / career kinda thing at this point. But for almost 10 years prior to that, I was on staff at a fairly large church in our area. I don't care a thing at all about being paid to do that, it's what I was made to do. And it feels so good knowing that I'm fulfilling what God has for me in leading worship and being home with my children.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was an elementary teacher for 9 years before deciding to retire and become a SAHM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I work in Quality Assurance, along with Testing & Developing for a company that creates apps for Kindles and Nooks. It's a fun job, and is turning out to be my dream job. I get to work from home and it's highly portable.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
I'm a newly licensed (aka unemployed) attorney. Right after I graduated law school and took the bar, my husband got offered his dream job in another state. So we moved, I took the bar again, and now my job is job-hunting.
I remember these days on being the unemployed lawyer. I have had three law jobs and I quit one for mental health reasons, was laid off, self-employed, and now gainfully employed. Good Luck on the job search!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I work as a medical coder in an orthopaedic clinic. I bill out clinic visit's for the surgeons -- the insurance industry makes coding a real challenge. I've done that for the past 10 years. I don't think being a SAHM would be for me...I am missing a bit of patience I think. Anyway, I mostly like my job -- I don't hate going, but some of the people I work with make it difficult.

My degree is in horticulture so before I was a coder, I worked as a landscape manager for our local university. I did some interesting things there - like gave garden tours, wore a plastic space suit while spraying lawn chemicals, and plowed snow all winter. I've also worked for a couple local garden centers, and while I was in college, I worked in a bakery at one of our local supermarkets.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been a SAHM since Nov 2006, while it is very fulfilling and I feel very fortunate to be able to do that.

I have been a photographer since 2007, mostly PT and only working from home. April 1st I will be opening a store front/office (not a studio, just an office) in town.

Before I became a stay at home wife, at 21, I was assistant manager at one of our local branches for a regional bank here. Sometimes I really miss having a 9-5 job, with pay & benefits.. lol
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM for the past 5 years. I have a bachelors in dentistry and worked as a lecturer for 2 years prior to that and practiced in the evenings for about 5 years. I will def go back one day but not anytime soon with our lil princess on the way.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM for almost five years now since our youngest was born. My degree is in management and accounting so prior to that I worked in accounting and bookkeeping for several locally owned companies including two real estate offices, two hardware stores and a carpet and tile store. I enjoyed working but love being able to be home with my kids now!

In addition to being a SAHM I've also done in home daycare for several of my nieces and nephews. I'm currently watching my adorable little 8mo old nephew, and he definitely keeps me quite busy!

Also about the time my youngest was born I really became interested in photography, so almost two years ago I started my photography business. It's been a learning experience for me, but I love my job! I do mostly maternity, babies and families and I also volunteer with a few different organizations including Operation: Love ReUnited. Through OpLove I have gotten to meet some amazing military families and I love being able to give back to them even in a small way.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I am a SAHM for the past year and an aspiring photographer.

Before that I was a server for 2 1/2 yrs. And before that I worked under a photographer for a few years as an assistant, among other retail jobs too.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

SAHM of 3 young boys.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have something in common with Meg....my degree is in finance too.
I work for the Department of Energy in their finance department. I've only been back to work for 1 1/2 years. I stayed at home for 11.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
I also volunteer with a few different organizations including Operation: Love ReUnited. Through OpLove I have gotten to meet some amazing military families and I love being able to give back to them even in a small way.
being as I was a deployed military member {and even though I didn't take advanage of this cause I didn't know at the time} I think this is an AMAZING thing to do for military families