Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Do your children give each other birthday gifts?

My youngest son is turning 7 tomorrow and it occurred to me we never discussed my older son (9) getting him anything. I didn't grow up with siblings, so I'm not really sure if there is a norm for this or not. If your children do exchange gifts for birthdays/holidays, at what age did they start being a "giver"? If they don't, have you ever discussed it in your household?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine do most of the time, but it's initiated by them, I don't force them to give each other gifts. They seem to have a pretty good grasp of what they want to do for each other.

Mine are 5 years apart, I think my oldest was about 7 or 8 when she first broached the subject.

I'm an only too, so I have no idea how it's supposed to work.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have an only so no need to think of it now. I don't think I gave presents to my siblings though until I was old enough to pay for them, but I can't remember for sure.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

not ususally, it is usually something from all of us to the birthday kid since there are 4 kids and they normally never pay attention to what is from WHO, we just say it is from all of us and usually Abby gets to help wrap (none of the other kids really care either way LOL)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We let the kids get gifts for each other this past Christmas and they loved it. I think we will definitely let them gift each other at Christmas from now on. We didn't for their birthdays this year, however. For one, we only do a party & one gift per kid on birthdays (they get plenty of gifts from their party guests). And they get a full day just for them including lunch or dinner out (their choice) and a trip somewhere local (zoo, bounce house play area, etc.) so reall they get plenty enough. If they didn't have a party I can see letting their sibling get them something. I think it's important to learn the art of giving. It's a life skill, actually.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine just get gifts from the family. We didn't start giving gifts till siblings till we were teens.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Mine just started in the last year or so. They are 9 and 10. They give each other something for their birthday and Christmas. They also save up their allowance to do it. I was willing to give them a dollar amount to shop with but before I suggested it DS1 said he had his own money. That seems most important to them, that they bought it with their money.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I grew up an only child, so it never occurred to me. My son, 8 years old, asked me last Christmas about getting his brother, 5yo, a gift... so that started it. We then asked the 5 year old what he wanted to get his brother. Again, way before my youngest's birthday came, my oldest already told me what he wanted to get him - I was impressed, lol... it was a great idea! So... we will let them continue to pick out a gift for birthday/holiday... and it's just them.

We've previously had them pick (or make) our gifts or gifts for their grandparents, so that is pry where my oldest got the idea.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine do! And it is all their idea. I don't guide or help - same goes with Birthdays for Daddy. They think he needs a can opener - well, he got one that birthday.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since we have 4, we draw names at Christmas between them. For birthdays, usually not, unless one of them has a job.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
They think he needs a can opener - well, he got one that birthday.
LOL That's how mine are too. It cracks me up though because they tend to give each other really random things but they both end up LOVING whatever randomness it is.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

DS' birthday was last month and DD (6.5) asked if she could give him something. So she chose something small and made him a card. I grew up in a large family and we never did sibling gifts, but as I only have the two, I'll let them choose something small for each other.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For birthdays, we would each pick out our own card and help my mom pick out gifts, but the gifts were from the whole family and the cards weren't ever attached to specific gifts.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My 8 year old daughter loves getting presents for everyone at Christmas. She just started doing it around 2 years ago. At her school there is as special event, when kids can buy little thingsfor friends and family for Christmas. On the other side, her two step brothers who are 10 and 15 years older and live with us are not very thoughtful when it comes to birthday or Christmas gifts for her.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My kids love to make homemade gifts. First one I remember is when my son was in 2nd grade and he made a necklace for my daughter(8 grade). She even proudly wore it to school on her birthday. So, I think that's where they started. They make cards, gifts for each other (also for their cousins). Lately, they buy some stuff too, but homemade gifts are most loved. I don't even pay attention to what they're doing for each other and they don't expect things every time. It's always from heart. It's just extra bonus.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mine do, but they only spend around $10. Same for Christmas. They love doing it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up as 1 of 3 kids, and we didn't exchange birthday gifts until we were older and took the initiative ourselves, probably when we were in high school. My elementary school had a little holiday store where kids could buy inexpensive presents for family members, so we started doing that when I was 8 or so. Some years we exchanged, some years we didn't.

My kids are 9, 7, and 4. Our birthday gifts are from the whole family, but 2 years ago we started giving them a small budget ($5 per sibling) and taking them shopping to pick out holiday gifts for each other. We do give some guidance and have veto power as they're shopping. Then one night of Hanukkah the kids exchange presents but don't get anything from us. Most of the presents themselves haven't been that popular, but the kids love picking them out and giving them, so we'll keep doing it.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine get gifts for each other and we pay for them ( a limited amount).