Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What's your family like?

What's your family like? Child-wise, that is.

Do you have kids? If so, how many kids do you have? What are their ages and genders? Do you want more kids?

If you don't have kids, do you want them? If so, how many?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have 3 kids: 2 boys (an 11 year old in 5th grade and a 9 year old in 3rd grade) and then a girl (a 6 year old kindergartener). Love them to pieces, but we are DONE!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have one kid! 8 year old boy!

DH and I are 46 now...so we aren't having anymore....
Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 14 year old daughter (Julie) and a 12 year old son (Daniel). We adopted Julie from South Korea and were in the process of adopting another girl, when I got pregnant with Daniel. I am glad because I like having one of each gender. And two kids total is enough for me.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
We have 3 kids: 2 boys (an 11 year old in 5th grade and a 9 year old in 3rd grade) and then a girl (a 6 year old kindergartener). Love them to pieces, but we are DONE!
We have very similar families, minus the 6 year old girl ... which I totally would have loved to have! What was the biggest change when you went from 2 kids to 3? I'm always curious about how the dynamic would have changed for us if we had more kids.

I have two boys, 11 (5th grade) and 8 (3rd grade). I can't believe I'm going to have a middle schooler next year!!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 kids, my oldest is Ben (8) and my youngest is Grace (6). I have wanted another child since Grace was 3... but it just hasn't ever felt like a good time to have another... and, now I feel like they are too old to add in a 3rd. At this point it would totally change our lives. That third child would not grow up with close siblings, their experience would be like an only child in many ways. Also, since both of my pregnancies were not positive experiences I admit it scares me to think about being pregnant again. I'm 97% sure we are done.

I am happy with the two of them, they get along really well. They are very close. It's so easy being a family of four in America... traveling, theme parks, eating at restaurants, etc. And I don't have to get a minivan. Aaron and I are both the oldest of two siblings and I always wanted to break the two-kid pattern in our families. I am thinking we probably won't.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
We have very similar families, minus the 6 year old girl ... which I totally would have loved to have! What was the biggest change when you went from 2 kids to 3? I'm always curious about how the dynamic would have changed for us if we had more kids.

I have two boys, 11 (5th grade) and 8 (3rd grade). I can't believe I'm going to have a middle schooler next year!!
I wasn't sure if we'd have a 3rd or not; it took some convincing to get DH on board. I was the oldest of 3 kids, but he was an only child.

I thought going from 1 to 2 kids was a hard adjustment. Once I was used to juggling multiple kids and sets of needs, going from 2 to 3 was much easier. I tell people 3 is busier than 2, but not necessarily harder. Now that they're older I think our family dynamic is influenced more by their personalities than by the number of kids.

Here 6th grade is in elementary school, but after that we're districted for one of the few secondary schools (grades 7-12) in the county. I'm dreading that adjustment. I wish DS could go to a middle school or junior high instead.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All my life I wanted to have 6 kids (I'm from a 6 kid family myself), but when it came to pregnancy, it was just too hard on my body, so we stopped at two. I would have had more if pregnancy and delivery were easier, but DH is from a small family, and he only wanted 1 or 2 anyway. We're happy with our status quo though, and our girls are 8 and 11 now.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have two boys - ages 6 (1st grade - will be 7 in July) and 3 (will be 4 in a few weeks). We're pretty much 100% done. There are times, when I feel like my baby is less and less like a baby, that I feel the slight twinge to wanting another.

But most of the time, ALMOST all of the time, I am okay with our two. The newborn/infant/clingy stage is SOOOOO hard for me, it'd be hard to convince me to go through that again. Yes, even for a girl (we get asked nearly daily when we're going to try for a girl).

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've got 3 kids. Marcus is almost 8, Jamesen is almost 6 and Gemma just turned 3. We are very done having kids. I miss my kids as babies and the fun they were, but I don't want to start over and have another one.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband has a 12 1/2 year old son from his first marriage who is with us about 30% of the time. We have an almost 6 year old daughter and a 1 year old son together.

I would like to have 1-2 more kids, but NOT BIOLOGICALLY. Babies are such soulsucks. Both of ours were surprises (and the last one was a BIG surprise!), and DH is now fixed, thank God, so no more surprises for us!

I have always wanted to foster/adopt and still plan on doing so once our kids are a little older. Ideally, I would like one more of each that would 'fill in the gap' between our two biological children, but we'll see what happens when we get to that point. DD definitely needs to remain the oldest and she desperately wants a sister, so we will do our best to work that out. We are nowhere near being able to afford more children, but I hope we will be ready in another 3-4 years when DS is school-aged.

My mother's second/current husband adopted me when I was 4 years old, so I have always wanted to continue that legacy in my own life.

Last edited by LeeAndra; 05-13-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have two boys. Cole (will be 6 in June) and Cade (will be 2 in November). I would really like one more. Maybe when Cade turns three try for one more. My husband tells me No. Yet, I don't want another just to have a girl. I'd be perfectly fine with another boy! I just don't think we are done yet. If that makes any sense. Will it happen? Who knows we shall see
Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We have a 3 years old son at the moment. We are planning to have another one and then DH is done most likely!
I always want 3 kids (I am the oldest out of 4), I never like the idea of having only one child, but, after so much discussion & bargaining with DH (the only son), whom only want 1 child, we ended up agreeing at 2 kids. As to when exactly, it's still up in the air... hopefully within next year or two. I don't want to be pregnant at such a late age.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have two kids...our daughter, Mattisen, is 11 and in the 5th grade. Our son, Cole, is 7 and in 1st grade. I don't think we'll have any more but the door isn't completely closed on it either. I'm one of seven children so big families don't scare me. LOL!

Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have 4. 20 girl, 16 boy, 14 girl, 9 boy. I actually didn't want children at all lol or rather accepted I probably couldn't have any from so many medications I was in in my teens. Imagine my surprise when I went for 1 of the many procedures I had done to find out I couldn't have it that day, I was pregnant! Once I had her, I was in love!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have 2 girls, Rian (6) and Lola (almost 4).

We want more. I've wanted to have another for 2 1/2 years. It's hard. It's getting to the point where I don't WANT to do the baby thing anymore though and that's sad & tough to admit.

DH's family isn't helping with the baby issue. We're both from families of 5 kids. I'm one of the oldest (twin) and he's the baby. He has 2 brothers but one's passed away and his other brother only has girls & refuses to even think about another child (though his wife would LOVE another). Guess who's pressured to have a boy to carry on the family name? Me. Lovely. Not just by his parents either, but EVERYONE. So hard and frustrating to deal with it every time we see them and for them to not understand how hurtful it can be.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
DH's family isn't helping with the baby issue. We're both from families of 5 kids. I'm one of the oldest (twin) and he's the baby. He has 2 brothers but one's passed away and his other brother only has girls & refuses to even think about another child (though his wife would LOVE another). Guess who's pressured to have a boy to carry on the family name? Me. Lovely. Not just by his parents either, but EVERYONE. So hard and frustrating to deal with it every time we see them and for them to not understand how hurtful it can be.
Ugh, Brit... I know how sucks that feel! That's just the worst pressure to feel
For me, as an Indonesian, I got it from friends and relatives as well! Too nosey!
I'm just glad my parents don't do that to me, they just want me to have another baby, that's all.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

We have 2 children - Oliver is 3 and Sparrow is 18 months. I want a third... kind of. I love babies but Oliver is hard work - if I could guarantee all my children would be like Sparrow (who is the most placid child known to mankind) I would have a whoooole lot of kids. We are most likely done however, partly due to my fear of another ... full on child (dont get me wrong, I love Oliver more than anything LOL but I couldn't handle 2 of him!) and because I had PET with both kids so don't cope with pregnancy well.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have three.
Boy (7)
Boy (4)
Girl (1)

I would love to adopt two more. DH says no. So for now we are done...
Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have two boys (ages 7 and nearly 9) and I always figured I would have two - until my second was born. Then I thought about a third - partly because I would have liked a girl, partly because I loved the baby/toddler stage (mine are harder work now!) and was sad at the thought that my second was going to be my last one.... My husband was dead set against any more though. Within a year or so, for my health and sanity I figured two was just fine and I am perfectly happy with that!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Two: Christopher is 27 (married w/ 2 kids of his own) and Cheyanne is 14 and is just finishing up 9th grade.

We always believed in zero growth population - only 2 children; 1 to replace each parent and no more. We almost didn't have 2 since Cheyanne was a total surprise.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 - a 9 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. And I'm done! I like our family of 4 - it feels complete. We fit in a regular car, can get a table for 4 at dinner, there's one parent to hold each child's hand... we just work.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have one boy, who is 8... Which knowing now, it was a miracle that we even had him!

We have been trying for a second for the last seven years, naturally... Hubby and I agreed we would not go down IVF road, etc (religious reasons)... I am an only child and I know it isn't the most horrible thing you can do to your child... Unlike What most say to me when they find out we only have the one. I would have loved to have a second... See their little personality grow, who would they take after, etc...

It has taken me years to be okay with just having one... However I do feel like a freak during homeschool events...
Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Biologically I have 1, girl 4. I'd love another but not sure if that is the cards for me due to medical issues. The 1 was a miracle.
I also have 2 step-daughters, 16 & 14. The 16 year old just got her license. (Lord help me)

So in all I have 3 beautiful and amazing girls. I'd like 1 more (hopefully a boy)
Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
The newborn/infant/clingy stage is SOOOOO hard for me, it'd be hard to convince me to go through that again. Yes, even for a girl (we get asked nearly daily when we're going to try for a girl).
OMG people say to me "oh! not going to keep trying for a girl!?" or "awww you didn't get your girl..." on a regular basis - I HATE it - so rude if you ask me, that is such a personal question kwim?? Also I hate that it devalues the fact that I have 4 amazing kids, and they are exactly what God planned for me - I never would have guessed how much I would love being a mom of all boys Sometimes I'm tempted to tell people to shut their mouths when they say something like that to me! LOL

I have 4 boys - Gareth almost 15, Owen 12, Reece 10 and Tennyson 7. We are done The moment I had my second, like literally hours later, I knew I wanted 4 kids, and when Tennyson was born I just knew our family was complete. I love babies and I miss that stage all the time, but I LOVE the fact that they are all school aged, that I can leave them home with their brothers with out worrying about getting a sitter or anything. Life is WAY busier and harder in some ways but I appreciate the freedom so much, especially after the craziness of having 4 little ones!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have two girls ages 10 and 8. We are a complete family and I knew that since my youngest was 6 months old. She was so hard of me emotionally that I did not want to go back to infant/baby stages. I am so happy to be done with that stage of my life. I love where they are at now and it gets better and better!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have 3 kids. Austin, 18, is graduating high school this year (on the 22nd of this month to be exact) and will be attending Southern Illinois University (pre-med) this fall. Ethan, my second, is 11 and currently in 5th grade. My baby girl who is becoming less and less of a baby is 8 and in the 2nd grade. She is my little diva girl for sure.

There is a huge gap between Austin and the other two. He is from my first marriage (his dad passed away) so there was a time period of just us. I was terrified to be honest when I found out I was pregnant with Ethan. It was like being pregnant for the first time again with the gap. I was worried about doing all the baby stuff again when Austin was already 7 years old and we had found our family groove. I am happy to say though it all went smooth and the age gap really hasn't been as huge of a deal as I thought it would.

I am definitely done. I love babies but I am at that time in my life where I am done. I am getting too old for starting over again haha.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What's your family like?

DH & I are both 34.

Keira, she will be 10 on Saturday
Cooper he is 7
Harper he is 2 1/2

We are done, at least I hope so!

I had my tubes tied after Cooper was born, but now we have Harper! Lol! DH got a vasectomy this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nesser1981; 05-14-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I have three kids, a boy (11 years old), a girl (10 years old) and another boy (almost 8). I would LOVE another child or two but we haven't been able to conceive for the last 7 years or so. This is my second round of infertility, far longer than the first time around (3 years before our first child).
Old 05-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am married with three kids... Boy 10, Boy 7, and Girl 8. We homeschool... which was a big reason why I got into digital scrapbooking to begin with.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

3 boys here and I also get the 'do you want to try for a girl' question lol

Jack is 13, Harry is 9 and Charlie is 2. No more, definitely no more!!! Charlie has been the hardest by a long stretch, still doesn't fully sleep through at night and I'm constantly tired, plus they've all had eczema with Charlie's being the worse of all 3 and it's been HARD work.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have great stepkids, but they do not live with us. E is almost 19, B is almost 17.

We have been trying to have a child together for over 7 years and dealing with infertility and multiple miscarriages. We really love kids and wanted 4 together...but now we are just hoping to at least get one.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have one daughter, who just turned 14. (I still can't believe that! ). I am divorced but have been seeing the same guy for the last 2.5 years. At first, we both thought we wanted at least one child together. The older I get though, the more I'm thinking it would be too hard to start over, so the one is probably gonna be it for me.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have two girls my youngest just turned 12 and my oldest turns 17 in a couple of weeks. We started out pretty certain we'd only have one but after a few years we decided to add one more. We were certain we were done after that. I loved being pregnant but we knew that two was plenty for us. I was a little concerned about the age gap but it's really never been an issue. I have to say I'm really enjoying my kids as they get older, I was fearful of having a teen for the bad rep they have but so far it's been really great.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
I have to say I'm really enjoying my kids as they get older, I was fearful of having a teen for the bad rep they have but so far it's been really great.
I totally agree with that statement! (Knock on wood!)
Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
What's your family like? Child-wise, that is.

Do you have kids? If so, how many kids do you have? What are their ages and genders? Do you want more kids?

If you don't have kids, do you want them? If so, how many?
We have 4 kids: Gabriel (11), Ezra (9), Stella (7) and Jasper (8months)

I am on the fence with having another. I feel young to be done done (31 almost)...but 5 kids is A LOT to me. LOL! I love love love being a mom and having babies, but I HATE being pregnant. I am not good at it and it's really hard on me, plus financially 5 kids feels like a bit much. We are probably done....lol See how sure I am about that...lol
Old 05-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have two kids, one boy, one girl. My little boy will be 3 this summer and my baby girl just turned 1. We're not having any more kids, but I'll get my baby cuddles from my nephews and nieces when my brothers get married and have kids
Old 05-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We don't have any yet, for a variety of frustrating reasons. We'd prefer one, max two. Both of our parents were much older when we were born, so I'm definitely feeling pressure to have one soon if I want my kids to know their grandparents. (Pressure from myself, not parents or in-laws)
Old 05-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have 3 kids and I am for SURE done, though I think I'm open to fostering after the kids are grown and on their own. I have 2 bio kids (Johnny 16 and Eden 12) and four years ago we fostered then adopted Jake, who is also 16. Because I never planned on adopting, I have no idea what will happen in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
Two: Christopher is 27 (married w/ 2 kids of his own) and Cheyanne is 14 and is just finishing up 9th grade.

We always believed in zero growth population - only 2 children; 1 to replace each parent and no more. We almost didn't have 2 since Cheyanne was a total surprise.
Zero population growth, LOL! That is hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Bonneville View Post

I am definitely done. I love babies but I am at that time in my life where I am done. I am getting too old for starting over again haha.
My sister did that also, so my nephew and niece are 10 years apart and she said it was like completely starting over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAVampLvr View Post
I am married with three kids... Boy 10, Boy 7, and Girl 8. We homeschool... which was a big reason why I got into digital scrapbooking to begin with.
We're homeschoolers too
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

lol this thread title is making me laugh..

every time i see "what is your family like"

i just think to myself.. well depends on the day.. sometimes awesome.. sometimes not. haha

in reality - i've been married to darcy for almost 14 years and we have lily - 12 and lucas - 7
Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have an almost 13 year old son.
An almost 9 year old daughter.
And a 2 year old son.

One more would be nice, there's such a big gap for my youngest. But I'm too old.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
lol this thread title is making me laugh..

every time i see "what is your family like"

i just think to myself.. well depends on the day.. sometimes awesome.. sometimes not. haha

in reality - i've been married to darcy for almost 14 years and we have lily - 12 and lucas - 7
LOL! I've been thinking the same thing.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

5 children here 3 boys 2 girls
Sons ages 28, 25 and 10
Daughters ages 21 and 17
And two granddaughters ages 8 and 1
And I am fine done done cut ties and burnt lol I made the dr promise
Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have our girls and they're almost 10(!!). My husband has two older from his first marriage. We are done having kids. I like that we won't be very old when they're out of the house, and they are plenty for me!!! I don't think I could handle any more.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
I have 4 boys - Gareth almost 15, Owen 12, Reece 10 and Tennyson 7. We are done
I think Shawna and I we're pregnant at the same time with all but her little guy who I cant freakin' believe is SEVEN! Good lord... how did that happen?

I have 3. Katie who is almost 15, Emily 12 and Andy who turns 10 in 6 days! We are done too. I LOOOOVE that my kids are older and I have a little more freedom because they are more independent and less needy. I wouldn't trade any of them, but traveling with 5 is SOOOOO much harder than with 4 - I wish I had thought of that before we were outnumbered haha
Old 05-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 3 little monsters, 2 girls, and a boy. 8G, 6G, 5B.

I cannot have more of my own, I wouldn't be opposed to more, if a potential future 'mate' had them. Or I re-marry and we choose to adopt or whatever.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

5 kids. 4 boys, 1 girl. and I am done, done, DONE.
Done.

Zach is almost 11. Ryan is 9. Bella is 6. Mason is 3. Art is almost 6 months old.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have two girls Carrie (7.5) and Molly (6). My DH also has a daughter from his first marriage who is 25 and has two kids of her own (5) and (4 months). We are DONE. He sometimes joke about trying for a boy but I have no desire to be pregnant again, and diapers, waking up in the middle of the night stage again. I do still get asked if I am going to have more or if I want to try for a boy.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have 2, Avery who will be TEN tomorrow (which also means I've been scrapping 10 years!) and Ella who is 6. I always wanted at least 3 but we had fertility issues and it took forever to get pregnant with Avery. Ella was a huge surprise

Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesparrow View Post
We have 2 children - Oliver is 3 and Sparrow is 18 months. I want a third... kind of. I love babies but Oliver is hard work - if I could guarantee all my children would be like Sparrow (who is the most placid child known to mankind) I would have a whoooole lot of kids. We are most likely done however, partly due to my fear of another ... full on child (dont get me wrong, I love Oliver more than anything LOL but I couldn't handle 2 of him!) and because I had PET with both kids so don't cope with pregnancy well.
Haha! You sound like me 2 years ago, except I have a crazy Oliver and a super sweet Camilla. We did have a baby and Oliver is the BEST big brother to the baby! It's been amazing to watch. And she's a really fun and flexible baby. He's still my hardest, but in the best way ever. I think you'll understand what I mean.

So my three are Oliver (5, 6 in August), Camilla (4 this month!), and Lillian (16 months). We've started not cringing at the thought of another, but aren't sure yet. Pregnancy is really hard for me since I get high blood pressure. I'm like a shadow of myself when pregnant, so it's really hard to think about being that way again. It's not really fair to my husband and kids. More kids would be much easier to handle than more pregnancies.

We are both from big families, 7 in his, and 5 in mine. On his side there are 27 grandkids (I believe) and 8 on my side. I keep thinking our baby would love a partner in crime, so who knows.