Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 02/03 Party Planning

As it's the 14th b-day celebration here....it's only fitting that today's question relates to parties....so.....here's your question today.

Do you enjoy party planning?
Old 02-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind planning parties but always keep it kind of casual, kind of simple. I love planning the food/menu and taking photos during the event but suck at any kind of "theme" planning.

Luckily my kids are grown up so I don't have to plan kids parties anymore b/c they all seem so much more elaborate than they used to be, I think it would overwhelm me now. It was fun to put together little party favor bags for the kids. I did enjoy that.

I love the cupcake trend for parties. Is that still a thing? or has it moved onto something else?

Aside from b-day parties, I do enjoy putting together a game night party. That's easy, get some snacks, appies and maybe a few different drinks to have. We've had bunco, crib, poker, euchre and other board game nights, those are fun.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes and sometimes no...

When my kiddos were little it was sooo much fun to do themes and games and make everything!! I def had lots of fun with the sweet 16 parties and graduation parties. I just wish I had more time when it came to party planning. I always have tons of ideas (and I love pinterest) but never enough time to do it all and then I end up stressing myself out.

This summer we will have our usually Birthday Bash (all 4 kids have summer birthdays so we throw one big party now).

And we have two graduations.... one college and one high school... we might combine those cause we only have a few weeks this summer to have the parties.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What a perfect question today...as February and March are huge party planning times for me. My girls birthdays are 4 days apart, and my son is 1 month after theirs. I have a love hate for it.

It's a lot of work and they are always so happy. Right now its extra tough, because our house is so tiny and they are getting to the ages where they want lots of friends over.

My oldest will be 13 this coming Saturday, her sister will be 11 next week, and my son 10 in March and then my step son will be 8 a month after that!
Old 02-03-2020, 01:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have one child and I go all out for his birthdays... usually the connected with something that my son is really into or a play on the age he is going to be... like last year his theme was Green Bay Packers because he turned 12 and is a huge football fan who loves Aaron Rodgers (who's number is 12)... this year I'm struggling... I don't want to fall into that "scary" you have a teenager... so doing viola theme, which my son is pretty passionate about his playing... but not much in ideas on pinterest for that... :/
Old 02-03-2020, 02:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went all out when the kids were little, but now I'm all "Let's just go out for dinner". Kids are teenagers now, so they're good with it.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post
What a perfect question today...as February and March are huge party planning times for me. My girls birthdays are 4 days apart, and my son is 1 month after theirs. I have a love hate for it.

It's a lot of work and they are always so happy. Right now its extra tough, because our house is so tiny and they are getting to the ages where they want lots of friends over.

My oldest will be 13 this coming Saturday, her sister will be 11 next week, and my son 10 in March and then my step son will be 8 a month after that!
Do a carnival theme with lots of fun carnival type games. Have all the kids invite all their friends and have one big bash instead of 3 separate ones. They'd still have fun and lots less stress for you.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Do a carnival theme with lots of fun carnival type games. Have all the kids invite all their friends and have one big bash instead of 3 separate ones. They'd still have fun and lots less stress for you.
That's a fun idea! We did do a combined party for all 3 a few years ago (we were all sick around their actual birthdays so we waited until like May) and did an Alice in Wonderland "Unbirthday" Birthday party.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post

I also would suggest one big party. My 3 girls all had the same due date, so their birthdays are all within 2 weeks of each other and my son is only 6 weeks ahead of them. So many great ways to make them each feel special, even if they have to share a party. Whatever you do, have fun!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 3 kids, but we've only had a few actual parties for them. So, I guess that kinda answers that question. No, I don't like party planning or throwing parties. We do activities and go out to dinner for our birthdays.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Kiddos are grown, so no parties to plan for them - however; I have planned parties and other "events" at work for the past several years and I really enjoy it.

I am given a budget and I run with it - planning the catering portion - the games, prizes, decorations - the whole 9 yards.

A few years ago I put together an Olympics themed employee appreciation week and it was a blast. It's so fun to see everyone enjoying themselves.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love planning parties! I'm a "Go big or go home" kind of girl, so I have been known *on occasion* to go overboard. I love finding fun, unexpected things to do at parties, food to serve, themes, etc. My focus is more on making sure everyone is comfortable and has a good time, though, so I tend to spend lots of time thinking about inviting people who will like each other, making sure all the little details work out (like bathrooms and parking situations and food sensitivities), and enjoying the party while it is happening. I do wish I could clone myself though, because I would like to take photos AND participate. I have trouble trying to do both. My husband really enjoys smoking (meat, lol!) and so we do every-other-week Smokin' Sundays during the summer, where we invite 15-20 people for whatever meat he feels like doing that week. These are super-fun, and we have gotten a good system going.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I kinda love it. Making themed things, all the food prep, baking Gotta love it!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I loved party planning when my kids were young. Now that they are teens they have their own ideas about what they want. I don't really do parties anymore.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I HATE planning parties! Like I outsourced it the last few years that my boys needed a "party", and ever since my kids have been completely in charge of their own birthday celebrations. Lucky for me, my kids like to go to places like the trampoline park, so all I have to do is drive and pay.

I would rather never celebrate my own birthday ever again than have to plan another party. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love planning things... parties included. However, I do not love making/Pinteresting things for said planned parties & haven't had the money to buy things to make said planned parties the way I've planned them to be.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hate, hate, hate planning parties. Luckily my 16 year old stopped wanting one years ago and my 13 year old has always just done a family outing rather than a party. That only leaves my 11 year old. The last few years she has wanted a sleepover. We pick a theme and really get into it, but it's soooooo much work and time.

This year we couldn't come up with anything unique, so she agreed to do a "go someplace and pay people" type of party. That's 100% what I'd prefer vs. devoting weeks to making it awesome myself! We took 7 girls to an Escape Room, had lunch at a pizza place, then went for ice cream. It cost about the same as I spend on activities, decorations, and food for a sleepover, but I spent 1 hour planning it and 3 hours running it instead of 3 weeks planning and 16 hours running it! I hope she never wants another sleepover, LOL!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk