Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Printing layouts, not photobooks

I think it's about time that I printed some of my layouts. I've never printed any of them can you believe that! It's time, but I need some help. For those of you that have had your layouts printed, who did you do with? Why did you choose them? What about prices (especially since they'd be shipping to Canada) and coupon deals?

I'd love to hear your experiences with certain printers before I choose who to send these to!

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kiki - I use Green Pixel Printing - they are the Canadian sister to Polka Dot Potato. I've printed with them numerous times and the prints are AMAZING! And right now, 12x12's are on sale! I print 8x8 on Lustre paper, and LOVE my prints! There is never any edges cut off, the colors are exactly what I expect them to be, they are packaged well, and shipping is very reasonable (especially if you catch a sale).

I'm lucky enough to live about an hour away from the girl who owns the company, so I can choose pick-up for my delivery (which means free for me), but I have had them shipped to me once or twice before she moved so close by and the shipping was quite fast!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in Ottawa, too. I've been printing at Costco (and had surprisingly good luck with them, I have to add to be fair!), but wondered about the quality I'd get a printing company... I may have to look into Green Pixel Printing that scrapperjade recommended...
Old 09-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooh good to know Jaedyn. Thanks! And Heddy - who knew there was another Ottawa gal on the board! cool!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I used Scrapping Simply for my first printing, but when Chari Pack left there and started her own business, Persnickety Prints, I followed her. She has the best customer service. I know if I email her, I'll hear back immediately. She knows I live in Africa, and while I've never had her ship here, she ships to people who come over to visit, and always goes the extra mile to pack it extremely secure so that it will survive luggage, and I've never received a messed up print. The colors of the prints are amazing! I don't think you will be disappointed! I'd certainly price her out. My last printing, she sent out a special coupon code to her customers and I printed my 12x12's at 1.39.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've printed at Costco too, and was pretty happy with the results. Since I print 8x8, I use the 8x10 option, and when I go to upload, I make sure that I send in an 8x10 file (I place my layout in the middle, & leave an inch on both the right & left sides... otherwise they will stretch the 8x8 to fit the 8x10).

While I've been *mostly* happy with Costco, here are my cons:

~ I hate having to resize all my layouts (I do them only once a year, so I usually have to do about 50 - talk about tedious!), place them on an 8x10 canvas & the save each one as an 8x10, THEN upload. It can takes hours. (with GPP - I just send my full 12x12 size that I scrap in, and she downsizes them for me).

~ A couple of times, they've still enlarged my prints (I think for the bleed purposes). Since the left & right sides have an inch leeway each, the sides look perfect, but the top & bottom get cut off. This might not be an issue for some, but since almost all my pages have a patterned paper background & then a solid layed overtop, it looks funny when printed.

~ I have found that the colors aren't as accurate as Green Pixel, but again not a HUGE deal.

Huge fan of:

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I printed my pages in an 8x8 album form Inkubook and was SUPER impressed with their quality. I have also printed from scrapping simply and they were AMAZING! Those were individual prints that I am going to put in frames for XMAS.....
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
I've printed at Costco too, and was pretty happy with the results. Since I print 8x8, I use the 8x10 option, and when I go to upload, I make sure that I send in an 8x10 file (I place my layout in the middle, & leave an inch on both the right & left sides... otherwise they will stretch the 8x8 to fit the 8x10).

While I've been *mostly* happy with Costco, here are my cons:

~ I hate having to resize all my layouts (I do them only once a year, so I usually have to do about 50 - talk about tedious!), place them on an 8x10 canvas & the save each one as an 8x10, THEN upload. It can takes hours. (with GPP - I just send my full 12x12 size that I scrap in, and she downsizes them for me).
I used to do what you mentioned in your post. Thankfully, in the past couple of months, my Costco has started to offer 8x8 size printing and I can send in my full 12x12 image and it gets printed off at 8x8. No problems, so far!

The price is right at Costco, but I do agree that I have had a couple of issues with the colour (a few photos have been too dark). But in those cases, I bet I accidentally forgot to unclick the box that says "Let Costco auto-adjust your colours for you".

I'm still going to look into the printing company mentioned. If it's not too dear, I'll give it a shot!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettkel View Post
ooh good to know Jaedyn. Thanks! And Heddy - who knew there was another Ottawa gal on the board! cool!
Yay for O-town! Good to know that you're here. You may be the only other person to not think I'm crazy if scrap about going to the experimental farm or eating beaver tails, lol!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print from Scrapbook Pictures. They have pretty good shipping. I buy albums and just keep buying inserts until it can't hold any more. LOL
Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print my own ... I'm impatient ... when I want my layouts ... I want them now. I bought an Epson stylus photo 1400 and it will print up to 13x19" layouts. I print hybrid layouts, 6x6, 8x8, 12x12 ... whatever my little heart desires.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have yet to print out any of my layouts either and REALLY need to get on the ball. I have sooo many!

Well, I did print out some 8x8 pages once at Costco and they did a great job. That was my only thing I have ever printed out.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Steph over at The Daily Digi did a great review of printing places. As an avid Scrapbook Pictures fan, even I was tempted to give a few others a try! You can find it HERE.