Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default I've got them!

I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with shingles and just when it looks like I'm getting over them, I've got them again, all over my legs. I'm so itchy and miserable.

Has anyone ever had them before? What did you do for them? I did see my doctor and she told me a few things, but I can't stand this! It sucks BIG time!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Believe it or not I've had shingles and so did my younger brother. I had them when I was like 21-22 and my brother just had them at the age of 19. Our Dr was dumb founded with us both having them and at such a young age.
I got lucky with only having a small patch on my upper hip/thigh, my brother had them on his torso.
They are the worst thing! They itch and hurt and you are miserable. I feel your pain. Mine hurt soooo bad. I couldn't even stand the wind to blow on my leg or clothes to touch them. My brother's wasn't quite as painful. (Sorry for the rambling)

I was prescribed a cream (WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THEY PRESCRIBE A CREAM FOR SOMETHING THAT PAINFUL IS BEYOND ME!?) and they gave me a prescription for valtrex (yes the herpe drug). My brother only got a prescription for antibiotics. The Dr said to just keep them clean, and well ventilated. Cold compresses and calamine lotion help too.
I believe he took oatmeal baths to help with the itch.

Sorry I can't be much help on what to do for them. Hang in there!

Last edited by hollyxann; 09-05-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyxann View Post
I was prescribed a cream (WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THEY PRESCRIBE A CREAM FOR SOMETHING THAT PAINFUL IS BEYOND ME!?) and they gave me a prescription for valtrex (yes the herpe drug). My brother only got a prescription for antibiotics. The Dr said to just keep them clean, and well ventilated. Cold compresses and calamine lotion help too.
I believe he took oatmeal baths to help with the itch.
my DH had them and was given Acyclovir (Zovirax)

They are viral (but his were brought on by stress) hence the antivirus medications to treat them.

I totally feel for you Paula b/c i know my man was MISERABLE..hope you heal soon!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My grandmother had them, and I took care of her for that time. She had some sort of patches, I think they had Capcazin or something in them, and she would put that on. It would help with the itching and pain for several hours.

I'm praying you feel better soon...

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

They're a form of chicken pox...that's why the herpes drugs...my mom gets them
Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yes the good ol herpe virus.

True story....so I go to the ER for what I thought was some funky form of poison ivy or something, except it hurt like holy hell! Turns out it's shingles. Well the ER Dr, who CLEARLY doesn't speak fluent English , looks at me (mind you I'm by myself in my room) and she goes..."Well you have herpes".
Say what?! I freak out, start crying hysterically, she's rambling about whatever, in her foreign language, and then I blatantly just stop crying and look at her and go "Wait an effin minute, herpes on my leg?! Are you kidding me? Do you even know what you are talking about? How the F do you get herpes on your leg? I've heard of it in your eye, your throat, your lady parts, but your LEG?! Give me a break. I want another Dr & my mother NOW." Of course I didn't really know much about shingles before this. But another Dr, who was clearly American & spoke English, told me it was shingles and explained things better.

Just thought I'd share that part of my story. lol
(clearly it's past my bedtime and I'm just rambling)
Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Paula, I feel for you....I had them when I was about 13 or so, but I only had a few on my stomach....I don't remember to be honest what they did for them back then....Hope you are able to get some relief from your itching....
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Paula, that really stinks! I feel for you! Your doc didn't put you on any antiviral at all? Famvir, Zovirax, acyclovir? Also, it's really unusual to have shingles on both sides of your body at the same time. Shingles (herpes zoster) is the chicken pox virus (Varicella) that has been dormant in your body since having the chicken pox (or chicken pox vaccine). It settles in the nervous system and travels along the nerves when it's "activated" by stressors on your body (which can be anything from life stress to newly diagnosed conditions such as diabetes, immunosuppressive conditions, chemotherapy, etc.) The nerves don't cross the midline of the body (meaning they don't travel across your body from side to side, they travel up/down one side of your body), so it's rare to have shingles travel both sides at the same time (guess you're very unlucky in this case! )

Try taking ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours around the clock for pain and inflammation. If that doesn't help you could ask your doc for a stronger pain medication. Cool compresses on the blisters and a soothing lotion may give some relief. The antiviral won't make it go away but it could help shorten the course and provide some relief. Unfortunately shingles can take a month to clear up.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I reccomend ambien and hydroxzine. A sleep med and an anti itch med. If you take them at the same time at least you will sleep. I found the hydroxzine really gives me relief from itching better than anything else I have taken.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm so sorry you are sick Paula! Get better soon!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no Paula! My mom just dealt with it this spring, she was so miserable. Hugs, I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had them on my arm this past spring at the ripe old age of 40. I thought it was just spider bites gone horribly wrong so I went to the doctor who took one look and said, "Shingles".

She prescribed an antiviral and Vicodin. I think the Vicodin helped more than the antiviral did. The bummer is that I still have some scars from where the spots were.

I hope that you feel better very, very soon!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageJen View Post
The bummer is that I still have some scars from where the spots were.
I still have the scars from mine too. And it's been 3-4 yrs since I had them.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh, you poor thing! I have never had them, but I hear they are miserable. I had the chicken pox in my 30s, so I'm hoping I have more immunity!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I had them as a teenager. . . on my torso. Hoping you are finding something to relieve the pain! I can't recall what worked for me then. . . . sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
Oh Paula, that really stinks! I feel for you! Your doc didn't put you on any antiviral at all? Famvir, Zovirax, acyclovir? Also, it's really unusual to have shingles on both sides of your body at the same time. Shingles (herpes zoster) is the chicken pox virus (Varicella) that has been dormant in your body since having the chicken pox (or chicken pox vaccine). It settles in the nervous system and travels along the nerves when it's "activated" by stressors on your body (which can be anything from life stress to newly diagnosed conditions such as diabetes, immunosuppressive conditions, chemotherapy, etc.) The nerves don't cross the midline of the body (meaning they don't travel across your body from side to side, they travel up/down one side of your body), so it's rare to have shingles travel both sides at the same time (guess you're very unlucky in this case! )

Try taking ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours around the clock for pain and inflammation. If that doesn't help you could ask your doc for a stronger pain medication. Cool compresses on the blisters and a soothing lotion may give some relief. The antiviral won't make it go away but it could help shorten the course and provide some relief. Unfortunately shingles can take a month to clear up.
Actually, I only have them on my right leg. I have another rash patch on my left leg that I thought was shingles as well, but when I went to the doc, she told me that it was just an irritation to something. But, the right leg is a big fat POSITIVE for shingles. She gave me an antiviral med and a creme to put on it.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i've never had them but had a friend with them. i can't even imagine i hope you get some relief soon paula!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
oh, you poor thing! I have never had them, but I hear they are miserable. I had the chicken pox in my 30s, so I'm hoping I have more immunity!
Hate to tell you but I had chicken pox for the first time in May this year .. i am 44 .. and I came out in shingles all over the side of my neck at the beginning of this week !!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had shingles in middle school (mean girls suck, what can I say? )

anyhow, I still get phantom pains on the spot on my back (near my bra strap) where they broke out. a very painful tingling. And it's been 20 years!!

Sorry Paula, I hope you feel better soon

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
The nerves don't cross the midline of the body (meaning they don't travel across your body from side to side, they travel up/down one side of your body), so it's rare to have shingles travel both sides at the same time (guess you're very unlucky in this case! )
My grandmother did have them on both sides at once... Also, she got her shingles right after her divorce (she moved out of the house on her 40th wedding anniversary!), after my grandfather literally got everything (a few million in money and property, etc), and my grandmother got NOTHING (living out of a couple of suitcases and barely making rent on an apartment). About 6 months after her divorce, she lost her job. All of that stress, I see why she got them!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hate to tell you but I had chicken pox for the first time in May this year .. i am 44 .. and I came out in shingles all over the side of my neck at the beginning of this week !!!!!
Darn, there goes that theory! I think they recommend that elderly people get vaccinated for chicken pox because it reduces the number of cases of shingles. But I don't think any of us are "elderly" enough to fit those recommendations!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So sorry, Paula. Shingles really suck. My Dr gave me prednisone. I had them on my right leg too. I still have scars from the larger blisters.

I hope you heal quickly and can get comfortable soon. If it is any solace, at least it was not near your ears and eyes. I know someone that had permanent damage from that.

ugh. so not fun. (((hugs))))
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How are you doing Paula?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

my dh is pharmacist and said to get valtrex from the doctor and use capsacin as a topical...motrin will help, benedryl will help.... they are horrible to deal with...so sorry...