Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Silhouette to do hybrid question...

Ladies, when you use the Silhouette SD to cut hybrid designs, what kind of paper do you use?? I tried it with PrintWorks double sided matte photo paper but, the second side sticks too bad... So, is there a brand/type that doesn't or, do you only use single sided??
Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't use photo paper at all...I use hi res paper, which is slightly thicker than normal paper. I would think that if are using photo paper then you should just use single sided because the coating on photo paper would stick pretty badly.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Where do you find the high res paper??
Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in Holland so I get from a local online shop, but I just checked and Amazon carries it. this is the same brand I use and even though it says it's for bubble jet printers it works perfectly in my HP inkjet printer. I print with a fast normal or normal setting and I love the way it looks.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Resoluti...7812805&sr=8-1

Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you!! I will keep my eyes open for it!! And I think I'll just use regular old double sided scrapping paper for the boxes and such!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

FYI - I finally had to call Quikutz because EVERYTHING was sticking to my cutting mat in my Silhouette. I was soooo annoyed. I love the thing, but it was SHREDDING my paper - the cut piece would come out fine, but the paper left behind on the mat would take FOREVER to peel off and would come up in tiny little shreds. They suggested dabbing a piece of denim on it to remove some of the stickiness and then they mailed me the "less sticky" (sorry, don't remember the official name) mat for FREE!! The less sticky mat is sooooo much better for everything. Even though the stickier mat says it's to be used for cardstock and heavier weight papers, mine was just too sticky.

Not sure if this is the issue you're having as well, but if so, you might try removing some of the stickiness by dabbing some denim on there once or twice and if that doesn't work, just call their customer service dept - they were SUPER friendly and very helpful!!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Jen - That's really good to know. I just ordered new sticky mats because Nicol Maguirk says they are really good for the print n' cuts. If I have problems, I will do that you say.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Mine came with 2 mats, the cardstock one and the less sticky one. I tried with the less sticky one and it still pulls the ink off if I do double sided. That leaves it behind on the mat and, well, you get the picture... LOL

I cheated and went and bought a Cricut mat after reading a couple blogs on the mats. It works great in the silhouette, isn't too sticky and it doesn't get cut quite like the silhouette one. I got 2 12x12 mats at awl mart for 12 bucks and just trimmed them down, and covered the area where the rollers are. I haven't tried any photo paper on them just yet, maybe I'll stick some to the scrap of the mat and see how it comes off. Otherwise, off to the store this weekend to get something I can use for print and cut.

Has anyone found paper that they can print double sided and cut??