Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2023, 11:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default When you scrap ...

What do you do when you are scrapping? Are you watching TV ... streaming programs ... listening to music ... podcasts ... talking on the phone, etc ? Is it something that you do nearly all of the time when you're scrapping?

I'm in my "happy place" when I scrap ... not really thinking about much, not stressing over life and so forth. 99% of the time I have my laptop next to me and I'm streaming programs. And, most of the time they are true crime programs like Dateline, Evil Lives Here, Snapped, etc. Sort of funny to be scrapping in "my happy place" while watching programs about such dark subjects.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hubby has the TV on at all times if he’s at home and awake. And even lots of times when he isn’t lol. So that’s usually in the background but I’m not “watching” it, as I don’t care for sports and drug cartel documentaries. If he’s not home I usually listen to an audiobook.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm almost always listening to an audiobook. I occasionally have to pause it when I'm doing journaling, as I can't quiet listen and type at the same time! lol!
Old 07-13-2023, 01:04 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I listen to music with my ear phone, trying to tune out the surrounding for some inner peace.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:15 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

When i scrap and design i always listen to music. Even when hubby is home and watching tv my headphone is my best friend lol
Old 07-13-2023, 08:47 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
And, most of the time they are true crime programs like Dateline, Evil Lives Here, Snapped, etc. Sort of funny to be scrapping in "my happy place" while watching programs about such dark subjects.
My tv is on all day long even if I'm not watching just to keep the buzzing in my head to a minimum (I have tinnitus). Like you true crime programs are on a lot of the time. Besides the ones you listed I love Forensic Files and love when HLN runs them all day long!

I've also started using PlutoTV that is free and has channels devoted to specific programs. A couple of those channels that I've had on are MTV's The Challenge and CSI: New York. Tubi is another free service that I have used.

I stream to my TV so that both of my monitors can be used for scrapping
Old 07-13-2023, 10:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have anything going to watch/listen to while I'm scrapping but there is often something nearby that I can hear. Meaning...in the evening, my husband is often listening to some news reports from websites or YouTube channels that he follows. (We don't have "TV") I listen in or tune it out depending on what they're talking about. Other times, Nathan might have some background music going from a Rocket building computer game he plays. I guess you call it a game. The music is pleasant, though. Or he's practicing at the piano. Otherwise, it's all nice and quiet which I like, at times, since most of the day does not seem quiet. lol
Old 07-13-2023, 11:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't watch or listen to anything when I am designing as I am too easily distracted. If a good song came on, squirrel! If the show was interesting, squirrel again. I'd never get anything done.

Silence lets me concentrate on what I need to do. It's weird because I work in a noisy environment and don't get distracted at the office.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I watch shows I don't need to pay full attention to; so often reality TV or contest shows. Currently, it's Ink Master.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post

Silence lets me concentrate on what I need to do. It's weird because I work in a noisy environment and don't get distracted at the office.
At my day job I have the radio on all day lol It's just background noise, makes me concentrate more on what I'm doing.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I'm almost always listening to an audiobook. I occasionally have to pause it when I'm doing journaling, as I can't quiet listen and type at the same time! lol!
This is me. I like to have something to do with my hands while I'm listening. I can't watch tv or a movie because that requires too much concentration, but just listening to an audiobook or podcast allows me to be focused on my screen.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm either listening to my 14 yr old gaming with his buddies, or music or on the rare times I'm home alone, something I don't need to pay too close of attention to. The last show I streamed while scrapping was "Is it cake?" I work from home and the TV is on all day, mainly as background noise and I need that while scrapping too!
Old 07-14-2023, 07:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I sually don't do anything while I scrap. Occasionally I will listen to music, but my ears get irritated from tbe ear buds. I need to set up a speaker or something.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Before I had a laptop for scrapping, it was always music. Now it tends to be a show, that I only half pay attention to, so that's probably not the best idea. Or if hubby is in the room, whatever he is watching. I need background noise though.

I can't even cook without background noise.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:48 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
At my day job I have the radio on all day lol It's just background noise, makes me concentrate more on what I'm doing.
I can totally tune all the noise and interruptions out at work, but not at home. Like I said, it is weird. LOL
Old 07-14-2023, 10:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
This is me. I like to have something to do with my hands while I'm listening. I can't watch tv or a movie because that requires too much concentration, but just listening to an audiobook or podcast allows me to be focused on my screen.
If you want to be able to sit through a show or a movie, take up diamond painting. It gives your hands something easy to do and lets you sorta concentrate on what you are watching. I mostly listen until it gets to something good, then I stop painting and watch. LOL
Old 07-14-2023, 11:00 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I am also an audiobook or podcast listener
Old 07-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap in silence. I could listen to music, but I save that as a treat for when I'm working out.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Hubby has the TV on at all times if he?s at home and awake. And even lots of times when he isn?t lol. So that?s usually in the background but I?m not ?watching? it, as I don?t care for sports and drug cartel documentaries. If he?s not home I usually listen to an audiobook.
Your hubby sounds like mine! LOL! I try to "sneak" up and turn the TV off when he's asleep in his chair, but that usually just wakes him up! Ha ha.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I have to put the show I'm streaming on pause when I journal as well!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I listen to music with my ear phone, trying to tune out the surrounding for some inner peace.
Music and scrapping do seem to go hand in hand!!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyp View Post
When i scrap and design i always listen to music. Even when hubby is home and watching tv my headphone is my best friend lol
Thank goodness for headphones!! Do you listen to the same typ of music when you scrap as you do when you design? I'm just curious!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
My tv is on all day long even if I'm not watching just to keep the buzzing in my head to a minimum (I have tinnitus). Like you true crime programs are on a lot of the time. Besides the ones you listed I love Forensic Files and love when HLN runs them all day long!

I've also started using PlutoTV that is free and has channels devoted to specific programs. A couple of those channels that I've had on are MTV's The Challenge and CSI: New York. Tubi is another free service that I have used.

I stream to my TV so that both of my monitors can be used for scrapping
I will check out Tubi! I scrap on a huge monitor and stream on a small one ... to most non-scrapping folks, that's probably totally backwards! Ha ha!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
I don't have anything going to watch/listen to while I'm scrapping but there is often something nearby that I can hear. Meaning...in the evening, my husband is often listening to some news reports from websites or YouTube channels that he follows. (We don't have "TV") I listen in or tune it out depending on what they're talking about. Other times, Nathan might have some background music going from a Rocket building computer game he plays. I guess you call it a game. The music is pleasant, though. Or he's practicing at the piano. Otherwise, it's all nice and quiet which I like, at times, since most of the day does not seem quiet. lol
I sometimes do listen to the news and or You Tube when hubby is watching those as well, I do prefer my "own" channels to stream though
Old 07-14-2023, 12:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I don't watch or listen to anything when I am designing as I am too easily distracted. If a good song came on, squirrel! If the show was interesting, squirrel again. I'd never get anything done.

It is funny that it's noisy @ work and you aren't distracted yet the opposite at home! I was the 'numbers cruncher' at work before retirement, so I often times had to use earbuds to drown out the other activities and noises.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I watch shows I don't need to pay full attention to; so often reality TV or contest shows. Currently, it's Ink Master.
I'll have to check out Ink Master, it sounds interesting!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I understand about having to do something with your hands - Very seldom do I watch TV without having my iPad with me.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I'm either listening to my 14 yr old gaming with his buddies, or music or on the rare times I'm home alone, something I don't need to pay too close of attention to. The last show I streamed while scrapping was "Is it cake?" I work from home and the TV is on all day, mainly as background noise and I need that while scrapping too!
I think it's easy to get used to having background noise like that.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Before I had a laptop for scrapping, it was always music. Now it tends to be a show, that I only half pay attention to, so that's probably not the best idea. Or if hubby is in the room, whatever he is watching. I need background noise though.

I can't even cook without background noise.
I usually have to have some sort of background noise all of the time ... even when I sleep ... then it's a fan!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I definitely have a fan going for sleeping. And NOT a quiet one. I even take it with me when traveling. lol
Old 07-14-2023, 02:43 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I will check out Tubi! I scrap on a huge monitor and stream on a small one ... to most non-scrapping folks, that's probably totally backwards! Ha ha!
Check out PlutoTV as well. They have a whole section of crime related channels. 48 Hours, Dateline, Forensic Files, Cold Case Files, Unsolved Mysteries (Robert Stack version), The New Detectives. If you don't care what episodes are playing, this is perfect. It's just having a marathon for one thing.

It has other genres as well. One whole section is devoted to Game Shows. Includes Price is Right (Bob Barker era), Jeopardy with Alex Trebek and classic Family Feud among others.

The Reality TV section includes a channel for Ink Master (saw someone mention it) along with Survivor, The Amazing Race and even Jersey Shore.

Most of the offerings on PlutoTV are from CBS and MTV.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Check out PlutoTV as well. They have a whole section of crime related channels. 48 Hours, Dateline, Forensic Files, Cold Case Files, Unsolved Mysteries (Robert Stack version), The New Detectives. If you don't care what episodes are playing, this is perfect. It's just having a marathon for one thing.

It has other genres as well. One whole section is devoted to Game Shows. Includes Price is Right (Bob Barker era), Jeopardy with Alex Trebek and classic Family Feud among others.

The Reality TV section includes a channel for Ink Master (saw someone mention it) along with Survivor, The Amazing Race and even Jersey Shore.

Most of the offerings on PlutoTV are from CBS and MTV.
Thanks! I will check out PlutoTv right now!
Old 07-14-2023, 08:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
I definitely have a fan going for sleeping. And NOT a quiet one. I even take it with me when traveling. lol
I can't sleep without a fan, and am in the market for a travel fan since we'll be traveling by plane on our next few trips.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I listen to music & podcasts all day long while I work so when I'm scrapping at night, I have the TV on: usually Discovery+ or Youtube. I cannot stand a silent house so there is always a TV/music/a fan going whenever I'm at home.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a table that goes over my recliner (the top level of lazy). I watch TV (usually Criminal Minds on repeat) or in the evening whatever the boys are watching.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I have a table that goes over my recliner (the top level of lazy). I watch TV (usually Criminal Minds on repeat) or in the evening whatever the boys are watching.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I listen to music & podcasts all day long while I work so when I'm scrapping at night, I have the TV on: usually Discovery+ or Youtube. I cannot stand a silent house so there is always a TV/music/a fan going whenever I'm at home.
I am the same way, sometimes when I get tired of streaming or listening to whatever hubby is watching, I close my office door and turn on a fan. It's calming to me!
Old 07-16-2023, 07:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I scrap a lot during NapTime... so I don't fall asleep listening to peaceful disney music and ocean waves.....
I also like to scrap wile watching TV in the evenings.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My laptop is kept in the LR/Dining room and moved onto the table when we aren't eating. If the girls are home, they are usually watching their own shows in the LR, playing the Switch or playing on their laptops. If it is just me, I listen to my playlist on Spotify while I scrap. I find I scrap faster or better if I have music to listen to. I don't tend to watch TV myself while I scrap because I will get distracted too easily. I am ok if it's someone else's TV show or something though. I can listen/ look up occassionally while I scrap. I can't have it silent, it doesn't inspire me.

Funny thing, sometimes a certain layout will bring back the memory of a song or show that was playing while I scrapped it!
Old 07-17-2023, 04:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Funny thing, sometimes a certain layout will bring back the memory of a song or show that was playing while I scrapped it!
Now that I think about it, that has happened with me as well!!
Old 07-17-2023, 04:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I'm scrapping, I'm reading and listening to music. The music is the one I set as the theme song or soundtrack for the book I'm reading do it's on repeat.

Sometimes I scrapbook and listen to podcasts just so I won't finish the book I'm eading too soon, especially if I really like the book. Late last year I did scrapbooking and listening to audiobooks.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Scrapbooking is one of the first things I go in the morning - I get up, usually go for a walk with hubby... and then sit down and check the memories I have in Facebook. I have been on a goal this year that if it was important enough to have posted it on FB, it should be in our family album... so I pull the journaling and photos into templates and put in a "working" folder. I have the radio on (the radio is on 24/7 as I don't like silence).

Then when I get time to scrapbook (when kiddo is watching is videos for homeschooling or at night) - I usually have YouTube playing in the background... or watching Bravo.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do all the things when I scrap....lol
Sometimes I'm chatting on the phone.
Other times I'm listening to music
or watching TV on the other monitor.

Sometimes I'm just in my creative zone in my head.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It depends on how much bandwidth I have in my brain. lol!
Sometimes I listen to podcasts or have a YouTube video playing. Sometimes that video is just bird sounds or rain, something background.
For a while I binged Bridgerton and Queen Charlotte, but finished those and haven't found a new series.