Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What do you do with pages you hate?

Because of Amy's question, I was going through my old pages (yes, I still have the tif files), and realized that I've saved quite a few pages that I really don't like...not even a little bit! I'm deleting those because I will never print them. I don't really want to ever see them again. LOL!

So that begs the question... what do you do with pages that you despise?

Do you save them thinking that maybe someday you will like them?

Do you delete them immediately?

Do you save the tif (psd) and maybe go back and adjust them at some point?

Or do you have another solution?

Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Maybe I'm not invested enough in my scrapping but there aren't any finished pages that I actively hate. If I'm feeling uninspired/hate-y mid-scrap, I will cut my losses and delete and start over or wait to scrap another day. I scrapped a lot of my childhood more than 10+ years ago and while I don't hate those pages, they are not particularly great to look at and don't tell the story I want them to tell. I may go back and rescrap some of the most important photos/stories but if I don't, that's okay, too.

There are many, many, many that are not my favorite but they serve their purpose & that's good enough for me. My family/friends/kids don't care about shadowing, rule of thirds, etc. when they look at my printed albums; they just want to see their photos with their stories. If it's a page I know I created just to use a CT-assigned kit or one that tells a story that really doesn't need telling or is told better/mostly on another page, I happily delete those pages, too. I have created at least 150 layouts for every year for the last decade so I'm good if a few go in the desktop trashbin every now and again.

Last edited by LeeAndra; 09-03-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't delete any of them (jpegs or tiffs). There's plenty I don't 'love' from my early scrapping days but I still keep them - some are printed in photo books even! I may re-scrap some, I might look at them occasionally and think, wow, my skills have improved so much... but even those old LOs bring back good memories of the time I made them (that was when my kids were babies and I was off work on long maternity breaks - one of the best periods of my life so far - and scrapping was so new and exciting to me) and I just feel happy when I see them and remember those days. So, no way am I going to delete that!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

If I don't like the way the page, I'll definitely trash it and do new one half way. So I won't really have any finished pages that I don't like.
My old pages, though, I do cringe when I look at them again, but I don't hate them nor delete them. They all, afterall, show how much I progress over the year.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'll trow it away and start over.
Unfortunately, I do that A LOT.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't usually finish a page if I'm not feeling it. I do have some older pages that are already printed in an album from when I first started scrapping. They aren't my best, but like someone else mentioned, they have the photos and stories and my family doesn't care about all the pretty shadows etc that I do. So they work for their purpose. If I create a page for CT that is a repeat, or I can better tell the story in another layout, then I may delete those after I've uploaded and shared.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have quite a few pages half finished cause I wasn't liking them....
but as far as old ones, yes there are so many cringe worthy, but I still have them. And they are mostly printed. They show how much I have progressed over time.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a hoarder. The first pages I did are terrible compared to todays, but I still invested time in them, so I'll keep them. How great you are able to let go and clean house, though. My hard drive envies you.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I, too, just don't finish it if I'm hating it. Everything I have made has already been printed except for last year's book which I'm currently waiting for. Hopefully it won't get ruined in this weather coming lol
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't like my first ones, either... the kits now days are sooooo much better than in 15 years ago when they looked more computer generated. But, I have kept them... they show my growth in the hobby... and lets face it, I have thousands of pictures waiting to be scrapped.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’ve kept the pages I don’t like too. I don’t print them, but it’s part of my scrapping story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I am with most everyone else. I don't finish pages I am not feeling. I've cut my losses & started over more than once. I don't care of my older layouts now, but I was very proud & loved them at the time that I was doing them. I still have them all. They just don't make it to printed books.

I create for: Laura Wilkerson, Meagan's Creations & WendyP Designs ** Check out my Blog! **
Old 09-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The ones that I have almost finished, but really hate them, I keep them as a working file. Then as I grow as a scrapper or my style changes I go back and see if I can make it work.

But the ones that I'm working on and hate how they are going, they just get trashed right away. There are some that I've found that I started, didn't like the direction it was going and saved it. Then a few months (more like year), I've moved parts of that layout over to a new layout and deleted the old working layout.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I deleted a lot of my earlier pages as I just wasn't feeling the love for them a few yrs later. But for the last 6 yrs or so, I've kept everything. I have an online gallery and I've gotten a few albums made and need to spend time this winter sending more off to get printed.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've loved reading all of your comments!
I deleted several yesterday that were mostly older LOs with CT kits (from another store) that I really didn't like at all.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually keep mine on my hard drive, mostly as something to look back at and see how far I've come. Most of my newer pages I do like, but not always love. I tend to print them (or put them in my "to print eventually" pile) b/c my kids aren't nearly as critical about the pages as I am!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hardly scrap at all anymore, so I can't really afford to retell stories that have already been told.

In the past, when I get ready to print a book, I will sometimes redo the pages I really hate before they get printed, but that's usually only a couple/album.

I find that sometimes I'll think, I hate that page, but when I look closely at it, I mostly just don't LOVE it, and then I decide I can live with it.

But I did redo my oldest son's 1st year album using Misty's Words & Pictures templates because my pages were not beautiful when i first started 15 years ago, and I wanted to tell the story of his first year in a simple but fun way.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
My old pages, though, I do cringe when I look at them again, but I don't hate them nor delete them. They all, afterall, show how much I progress over the year.
Agreed!
www.gallerystandouts.com
Old 09-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just keep it all. Even the ugly ones.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There aren't pages I hate but there are certainly pages that are no longer my style. Eventually I would love to recreate them in a style that suits me now but its hard because I scrapped a LOT back then so there are tons of pages I'd like to re-do.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

The good news about digiscrapping is that we can always re-scrap our photos, right? So if you don't like a page, delete it and (if you want) rescrap the photo(s)/event(s) in the trashed page. I haven't deleted many pages, but I don't save my TIFFs...if I did, then I'd definitely purge. I used to debate deleting my first-ever page because it.is.HORRIBLE, but I kept it because it's fun to look at to see how far I've come.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If I realize I’m not liking the way a page is going, I stop and abandon. But never delete! Never! LOL Just in case I want to try it again when aim feeling it. Of course I never do. I’m the same way with products I make, templates and kits. If I jump ship... I leave the ship there. I wish i could just delete but I hate throwing anything away that I spent time on. It’s silly!!!

Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I save them for later, sometimes I trash them. More often than not I trash them, especially if I've made a page with the same product(s) I like better.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Right now I am debating on whether or not I should keep old kits or just trash them. I've grown and changed over the years I have been designing and some of the old ones make me cringe, but deleting them seems so final. Yet, what am I ever going to do with them? Honestly, I go back and forth on this a lot. LOL
Old 09-07-2019, 12:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Right now I am debating on whether or not I should keep old kits or just trash them. I've grown and changed over the years I have been designing and some of the old ones make me cringe, but deleting them seems so final. Yet, what am I ever going to do with them? Honestly, I go back and forth on this a lot. LOL
I would definitely keep them! They aren't taking up physical space and you never know when you might want to reminisce or do a kit refresh, etc. Disclaimer: I'm the most nostalgic person ever, lol.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One of the things I have to remind myself of regularly is that not every page has to be a masterpiece. When my kids and grandkids and nieces are looking through the books, they care about the photos and the words. Everything else is just icing. So a page scrapped imperfectly beats out an unscrapped set of photos and stories every time.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If you check out my gallery.....I have come a long way from 2007 I cannot believe I was brave enough to upload those very first layouts but I will not delete them ever since it shows how far I've grown & learned from when I first started scrapping. I only delete layouts when I am scrapping and I am really not liking what I see (I deleted 3 layouts yesterday !). The layouts that do end up in my gallery I burn on dvds after I have uploaded them and then they get deleted from my harddrive. I just make way too many layouts to keep them all on my harddrive
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
One of the things I have to remind myself of regularly is that not every page has to be a masterpiece. When my kids and grandkids and nieces are looking through the books, they care about the photos and the words. Everything else is just icing. So a page scrapped imperfectly beats out an unscrapped set of photos and stories every time.

So so so true!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I make a layout, it gets printed in a photobook. Each one tells a story and I like to see how my style and ability has changed over the years.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

If a page is finished, it gets printed and put in the books. It's WHY I do this. To get the stories onto actual paper and in albums. I don't love some of my pages. But they're all mine and they're all printed.