Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone ever done a marathon??

Ok- so my SIL is a runner and asked if I wanted to run a marathon with her in May. AHHH! That is such a HUGE task. I am wondering if I could do it!

Have you ever run a marathon? What is your best advice? Is it really as daunting as it seems?

I would love to try, but don't want to kill myself either! haha
Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have done 2, but I was younger then and that was before kids! I don't know if I'd have the time now to devote to training at that level. I was thinking about a half-marathon coming up, but then I got pregnant so that's on hold for awhile.

Are you running now? If you're not, I would say that a marathon in May might be a stretch - unless you're okay with walking significant portions. There is a book that my BIL likes called the Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer. I read it and while I ended up following a different training plan, I thought it was decent and probably good for those just starting out.

Personally, I started out running 5Ks and 10Ks and then did two half-marathons before doing both of my marathons. It wasn't such a big leap to jump to the 26.2 miles after gradually working my way up (and my endurance!)

If you're interested in learning more about training plans and techniques and such, Runner's World is a wealth of information. Finishing a marathon is a huge accomplishment, and it was a lot of fun. Just know going into it that it takes a huge commitment in order to train well and be prepared.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done 2 - but I did a lot of walking. I definitely prefer 1/2 marathons over fulls! Like Kara said - training for a full takes a LOT of time (all training programs are different but you will likely be running up to 5 days a week with one of those days being a "long" run - one that will take a few hours!)

Good luck with whatever you decide! It's an amazing accomplishment!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Never done one myself. I have lots of friend who've one them, and yeah - it takes a lot of time to train for that kind of race.

Good luck with it Aly!!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My friend just did a full 42km (26 mile) one and she trained for a while for it, one of the days per week being a few hours, just like Erin said. She was very sore for a few days afterward too.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not a full, but a half. My mom is a marathon runner. She didn't start until she was 40, and just completed a 50 mile race last year for her 50th birthday. I can link you to her blog if you would like, she's got some good advice on there.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I run marathons. The training is definitely the hard part. The race is FUN! (Well, maybe not the last 6 miles of your first one, but besides that... haha)

It IS a huge time commitment. It takes us about 4 hours to do those 20 mile runs when you figure in the time to refill water bottles, go to the bathroom, switch shoes if someone needs to, etc etc.

I usually run 4-5 days a week while marathon training. One long run, 2 short ones, and 2 medium length ones (8-10 miles). Depending on what pace you run, plus travel time if you drive to where you run, plus showering, laundry, etc. But it can be done!

It's obviously worth it, or I wouldn't keep doing it, though!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Geez! I don't know what to do. I keep thinking it would be amazing, but I just don't know if I have the time to commit to it right now. Maybe next year... (I will procrastinate just like everything else in my life right?!?)