Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Chicken Pox!!

My dear baby has the chicken pox. We were with family the past week, and my 18 month old nephew had a fever and a rash before coming to visit, but his dr. said it was just a virus. Yeah, the CHICKEN POX VIRUS!! They didn't know it, because his symptoms were so mild since he had the vaccine. My girl has not had her 12 month immunizations yet, since it was just her birthday this week. So... now she has the chicken pox. I feel so bad for her! The dr. said that all of her spots have to scab over TWICE for her not to be contagious. So... we are confined to our home for the next few weeks it seems. My other nephew who is 11 months got them too!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh man!!! I remember getting Chicken Pox as a kid. I had them in my MOUTH. Ugggh. You know, I have friends (who don't vaccinate) who would love their kids to get chicken pox the natural way (for the exact reasons you're saying... the vaccine doesn't always create a strong immunity). There are moms who host play dates with contagious kids so their kids can get it. :/

Aw. I hope she is OK. The oatmeal baths feel wonderful... I buy the Aveeno brand.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I hope it's just a mild case for her and she comes through it with flying colors!! Just think by the time she gets in school she might even be a little bit of a celebrity because she had that weird and rare thing called "chicken pox"!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

oh no!! I hope that it's a mild case!!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Man - we don't vaccinate for chicken pox (well, we didn't used to), and we couldn't find anyone within 50 miles who had it - and we tried, trust me! So we finally vaccinated because getting them as you're older is harder.

I know it'll be a miserable week or two, but it's better to build up the natural immunity to it this way than having to stay vaccinated for the rest of your life. I hope it goes as smoothly as it can possibly go!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Crossing my fingers that it will be a mild case and she will recover quickly!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The younger they get it, the better I think. One of my daughters got it as a toddler, wasn't itchy at all. The other daughter got it about age 7, and she had a terrible time of it.

I have friends and a sister who vaccinated their kids for chicken pox, and they still came out with the rash after catching it from other kids. The twins have had chicken pox twice now (and they're vaccinated). Vaccinating for chicken pox is optional here, and at the cost of the family (other government recommended vaccinations are paid for by the govt). I personally don't think it's worth it. My kids got it naturally, and SO FAR have only had one episode each. I'm hoping that means they have built up a stronger immunity to the virus.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Hoping it's a mild dose. None of the kids in my family had chicken pox until we were older. My oldest brother got them and almost missed his high school graduation because of it. Then, the rest of us caught them and my mom had SIX kids with chicken pox for the first two weeks of summer vacation. What a party!!!

Hope she's not too miserable Aly - and that you're not too miserable either. So sad!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That stinks. I was one of the rare children who got to experience it twice. The first was a mild case and the second wasn't. Hope it's a mild case of it.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, poor baby. They always said when we were kids, the younger you got them, the less severe the symptoms. I had them in the 3rd grade and ended up scarring, so hopefully her's stay mild.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! I hope they are very mild and she gets over them quickly.

My oldest got them when he was 3 and gave them to his 9-month old brother (as well as a 6 year-old cousin and his 25 year-old uncle and friend!). We were told to call the dr. as soon as the 9 month-old got them and they would give us a medication to make them a mild case. We did that and it was a very mild case. This just happened to be 1995 when the vaccine came out, however, this happened just a few months before.

Fast forward 12 years and used-to-be 9 month-old had to get the vaccine anyway because he had them before 12 months old.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMGAH! I'm so sorry! i came from school with chicken pox and ended up infecting our whole household--only my parents had gotten it at the time I hope it passes through quickly, that is not fun
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Oh man!!! I remember getting Chicken Pox as a kid. I had them in my MOUTH. Ugggh. You know, I have friends (who don't vaccinate) who would love their kids to get chicken pox the natural way (for the exact reasons you're saying... the vaccine doesn't always create a strong immunity). There are moms who host play dates with contagious kids so their kids can get it. :/
This. I totally plan on vaccinating against everything else, but I just don't trust the Chicken Pox vaccination.

My mom had my sisters and I when she was in college. I got the Chicken Pox one week, my middle sister the next week, and my baby sister the week after that. My poor mom was out of college for three weeks and almost missed finals because of it.

I hope it's a mild case and she feels better quick.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hope your little one is feeling better soon.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Banned

profile gallery

If I wasn't teaching and had so much going on right now I would come see you and test out my vaccines! Ive always wondered if mine worked. So sorry!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

gah i hope it's just a mild case!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Chicken pox is going around the school here too. My 5 year old has been vaccinated and so far hasn't shown any signs of coming down with it. I know the vaccination can really lesson the experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! Hope it is a mild case! I am one who has had them twice -- once when I was 10 months, and then again when I was in elementary school. I guess when you have them so young your body does not build up the immunity. Anyway, my 2 older siblings and a family who has kids the same age -- we all had them at the same time -- all 6 of us. And I can still remember watching the winter olympics while we were confined to the house.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

oh, poor thing. Hope she feels better soon
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As someone who had Chicken Pox in my 30s, I'm a very strong proponent of the vaccine. No one should have to suffer that evil virus.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Poor baby This happened to us and I was LIVID. I understand everyone's choice to not vaccinate, but I was so mad it happened to us, because my 10 WEEK OLD PREEMIE got them. She was like 7 -8 lbs when she got them, and it was MISERABLE. I hated being cooped up in the house with a cranky baby for weeks, and her immunity was compromised so the minute the chicken pox were over, she got 5ths disease, too. This is a touchy subject for me because it drags me back emotionally to our horrible experience with them. I hope that your experience is mild, and that there is as little pain and frustration as possible!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I remember getting chicken pox in kindergarten then passing them to my younger siblings. My sister caught it when she was just a baby and then caught it a 2nd time (very mild). I don't know anyone in my area whose kids have gotten it. My son, who's now in 1st grade, has yet not had chicken pox. I have scarring from it, most noticeably on my nose because I couldn't resist scratching. Try telling a 5 year old NOT to scratch lol

Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
As someone who had Chicken Pox in my 30s, I'm a very strong proponent of the vaccine. No one should have to suffer that evil virus.
I totally agree. That virus can also go 'bad' as well with more serious cases that require hospitalization.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh poor baby... I hope it's mild for her and she doesn't suffer too much...

I had the chicken pox when my mom was pregnant with my brother... so even though he got the chicken pox later in life... I believe he was in Jr. High... it was a really mild case and they think it was because I had the chicken pox while he was in utero so he built up some immunity there kinda like getting vaccinated.

and I've vaccinated my kids because so many kids around here get vaccinated so finding a pox party would be difficult and I would have wanted them to have it while they were young and not have the same situation that Darcy had.