Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default London!

Ok- so DH and I are going to Nairobi Kenya in September for our 10 year anniversary, and to visit his parents who are there. I am looking at booking our flights, and the ones I see have a layover in London. So... my question is... would there be enough time in a 6 or 9 hour layover to do any site seeing? Thanks for your input... I have NO IDEA!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

9 hour layover I believe so, just keep in mind the travel time to and from the city. I think a 6 hour layover would be tough; but, I am the type of person who is neurotic about being at the airport 2+ hours before a flight.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

hmm it would all depend on if all your flights are on time! I had a 4 hour layover in london when I was 15 and going to norway and because of flight delays I JUST got my flight..was very touch and go. also the airport in london is HUGE so really to even get out would take you a fair bit of time
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would be nervous to leave the airport...can you try and get an overnight layover?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would say no .. although they are called London Heathrow and London Gatwick, they are both quite a way from central London. By the time you cleared passport control and customs to get out of the airport - and then got transportation into London to see anything you would have no time to get back and go through security again for the next flight. We flew from Heathrow yesterday and from arriving at the front entrance - it took us 1.5 hours to get to the departure gate.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

What Rachel said. Plus the airport there is quite complicated!!
I'd say it'd be a slim chance.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm afraid I'd agree - any delay in customs & you're going to risk missing your flight. Security takes forever too.

If you land at Heathrow, there is a tube line into central London, but it does take 45 minutes-ish on a good day (not at rush times!). Gatwick is less easy to get into London from, you'd probably be best with a taxi/ car.

Truthfully I think you'd feel tired & very rushed. An overnight stay would make a big difference if you want to go into the city though.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the girls, I wouldn't take a chance. Anytime we've flown into Heathrow, by the time we get onto the tube, it has taken a full hour to get to central London. And even if you had the 9 hours, I think you'd be cutting it too close to take a chance with anything, especially when you take queue times, etc into account. I would try to get an overnight stay if you can, I love London ! Hubby is there today and I'm jealous
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am so glad I asked! I will probably get a shorter layover then if there isnt time to go see any sights. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly321 View Post
Ok- so DH and I are going to Nairobi Kenya in September for our 10 year anniversary, and to visit his parents who are there. I am looking at booking our flights, and the ones I see have a layover in London. So... my question is... would there be enough time in a 6 or 9 hour layover to do any site seeing? Thanks for your input... I have NO IDEA!
We have flown in and out of Heathrow and I wouldn't take the chance of a delay or long lines in the airport. Try to get an overnight stay and you can at least take in a few sights. Since you won't have a lot of time, you could do a bus tour or a Thames tour. We love the London Eye. You can see everything when you're at the top! We have been to London many,many times and it is an incredible city!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

... and it's the Olympics this summer in London so already in the news they are saying how busy the aiports are going to be, I'm with the others and wouldn't even try
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Gourley View Post
... and it's the Olympics this summer in London so already in the news they are saying how busy the aiports are going to be, I'm with the others and wouldn't even try
Andrea's right. It will be crazy and I can't imagine how crowded the Underground and other public transport will be, and you will NEED to use public transport to get around.)

Honestly, London is one of my favorite cities in the world and you really can't do it justice in nine hours or, in my opinion, just one day. If it weren't going to be so crowded, I'd say at least try for one day, do the bus tour, and plan to come back. But when it comes right down to it, I'd plan a trip to London when it's not so crowded, so you can really appreciate all the City has to offer, and when you won't have to rely on a bus or boat tour to see the buildings and sites. That way you can go off the beaten path and really enjoy your stay, and perhaps take some day trips outside London. Great Britain is amazing. It's a small island, but just drive a few hours and you'll be astounded at how diverse the geography is and what a fascinating culture and people live there.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How fun! My husband served his mission in Nairobi! Is that why his parents are there?