Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie
Default *sigh* I suck

I planned DD's birthday party out for the weekend of the 12th... except that.... uh... DUH... she's at her dad's house that weekend! *slaps head* D'oh!

Luckily I hadn't sent out invites yet but now what do I do? My options, because of Christmas crap everywhere, are THIS weekend which is insanely short notice, or like the 3rd week in JANUARY! *dies*

I feel SO bad... her birthday party flopped last year too. I'm a 4th of July reject (July 1st birthday) so I remember how much having a holiday birthday SUCKS.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:06 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I deal with that with ce's bday.. I just don't plan anything anymore. He hasn't asked to have a party with his little school friends so I'm pretending it's not a big deal to him yet LOL. next year I have a feeling I'm going to be screwed though It's just too dang close to christmas.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A person almost has to plan this shizz like in November... but I suck so bad at planning things way ahead like that. I write myself eleventy billion post-its and calendar posts and whatever... just to get through the WEEK! lol
Old 11-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So sorry. Yes, holiday b-day's suck! My ds1's b-day is one week before Christmas. What has worked well for us is to have it on the Friday afternoon just before school gets out. I usually take that day off and do the party.

Like for this year, the 18th. It is usually a minimum day and the parents are totally happy for an activity that afternoon. So maybe that afternoon or the afternoon before she goes to her dad's for the weekend?

Good luck... which reminds me that I had better get my act together and plan something NOW!!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Gosh I don't have any advice for ya. =(

December birthdays are the worst. =( I'm Dec 14th and my oldest DD is dec 30. Poor child. We have her party in January. =\
Old 11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My sister was born on January 2nd. She always got the "combined christmas & birthday" gift which kinda sucked when you were a kid I guess. My birthday is after a holiday but it isnt a hugely celebrated one really (St. Patrick's Day). I know my kids birthdays were always really hard because they are so close to Thanksgiving and the start of the school year (and the end of NASCAR races which to me is not any good excuse LOL) so I got lots of no shows for their birthday parties because of those things.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

mine is Dec 12th..sucks big time

oldest is may 26th..never fails to fall memorial day weekend lol

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That does stink... would her dad work out a weekend swap? I don't have an ex- to deal with so I have no idea how agreeable one would be... but it may be worth asking. I'd put it to him by saying you don;'t want her friend's holiday plans to interfere and that leaves you with the weekend she was supposed to be there or January. Hopefully he won't be an a$$ and will agree to it. HTH!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Whew... I figured it out gals! What a weight lifted. Srsly.

I had to juggle a bunch of crap around... and now I'm hosting Christmas brunch on the 20th right before having Faith's party but it's all good.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My youngest daughter's birthday is 3 weeks after Christmas. It's just far enough away that I forget about it. Every single year. She really wants a party this year, so I'm not forgetting. I'm just not feeling it. Trying to talk her into just going away to a hotel for the weekend.

My middle dd's birthday is March 21. Every year, it falls on Spring Break. And every year, we're in Branson for her birthday. She's beginning to think that her birthday = vacation. This year it's a Sunday, and I'm thinking we'll come home on the 20th so that a) we can have a day to recover before going back to school and b) she doesn't have to be stuck in a car for her entire birthday week.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you figured it out, Annie!

My mom's birthday is on December 26th, and she always says it sucked as a kid because she only got one combined gift for Christmas and her b'day, but now she loves it 'cause the whole (huge) family is together for Christmas anyway, so she can celebrate with the complete tribe! LOL She'll be 60 this year, I better start thinking about two great gifts, but I have no clue!!!

Signature created using "To The Moon And Back" by Amanda Yi & Meghan Mullens
Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

One of my best buds B-Day is Dec 28, so we celebrate her 1/2 birthday every June 28th.
It is always a riot!!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohlala View Post
One of my best buds B-Day is Dec 28, so we celebrate her 1/2 birthday every June 28th.
It is always a riot!!
My youngest son's birthday is December 22, so we have started doing that also. We celebrate in August with my extended family, and then we still do something in December with just our family. (Dinner out, cake, presents, etc.) My other 3 kids think it is unfair that he gets "2 birthdays", but really it all equals out. He would get totally jipped otherwise!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest DD turns 8 on December 12th and we used to have big family parties (w/all the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc) for her birthday and it was always hectic with Christmas right around the corner. But now that she's getting older she prefers to just have a couple of her school friends over for a sleepover or to do something fun and then we just have the grandparents over for cake & ice cream. This year I think we may either go to the movies or she has mentioned skating so we will see, it's less than 2wks away so I better get planning lol! Three of my stepbrothers birthdays are in December and growing up it seemed like we always had one party for all three of them or their birthdays got lumped in with Christmas and they hated it, so I have always tried to make it special for her even if we don't do the huge party.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad you brought this up! ....my son is turning 21 on the 19th...and I'm clueless...

You didn't say what age your child was going to be...maybe a sleepover? Gives the parents uninterrupted shopping time right before Christmas...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So glad you figured it out Annie!!

My birthday IS CHRISTMAS DAY...as in December 25th. So I corner the market on sucky birthday.

Last year it was NOON before anyone even remembered it was my birthday. We had taken a break from opening Christmas presents and my mom said "oh yeah! it's mommy's birthday!" (to my kids). Hubby walks back over to the tree, picks up one of the remaining presents (in red paper with green wreaths), and says "happy birthday!".

I gave up on being bitter a LONG time ago...to me it's kind of a joke every year to see how long it takes someone to remember at this point!

beckie_scraps on IG!