Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Situations that make you lose your...

... sanity. Mental tenacity. Drain you completely. Yep, me.

This puppy. We are SO super happy to have her, she really is a good dog, but for a combination of reasons (previous puppy we had 10 years ago that we 'failed' to get through the first 2 weeks with, having a bit of an allergic reaction to her in the car, knowing how bad the nighttime crying will be this week, knowing she will be an extra responsibility for me during the day, her not wanting to go in the crate today), I had my first official full-blown panic attack today.

I'm a little better since she is resting now, and the day is winding down. The kids and hubby prayed for me over dinner (so humbling to be crumbling on the most exciting day for them... I am a mess!) and my wonderful husband made dinner. But I still feel like I might burst into fiery flames, pass out... hyperventilate. Or toss my cookies. I hate this! I guess I don't handle stress as well as I thought.

Does anyone else suffer from panic/anxiety? Any tips to overcome it?

Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I have horrible anxiety. I actually have to take meds for my attacks if they get too bad. Normally I just try to relax, take deep breaths, close my eyes and count to 10 over and over until I calm down. If I can't get it under control I resort to the meds. :/ Chamomile tea helps too.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry. While I have nevr had a full on panic attack I too have bad anxiety. For me I usually have to have a really super hot shower or bath to get myself calmed down. I did go to the ER once when I thought I was having a panic attack and they gave me ativan which helped tons but I don't recommend becoming a drug addict.. LOL!

Everything is going to be OK and we'll be here for when you need to vent and there are always people here to help answer questions <3 <3

Show us a picture of the puppy!!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

A hot shower and camomile tea helped a lot, thank you, Holly!! I am super embarrassed that I even posted this, but I guess I felt like being real. Exciting and wonderful stuff like puppies can make me break.

Thanks for your comments, they mean a lot!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally know what you are going through. First, I have a lot of anxiety too. And I have freaked out over puppies more than once. The first one, my daughter turned out to be allergic to and I was so stressed out after about 5 days (even though she was a sweet, tiny little thing) that I was actually relieved when we had to find her a new home. I felt like the meanest and most unhinged mom in the world.

Then a few years later, we adopted our current dog and I was again a total wreck for the first couple weeks. I now call it the "OMG, WHAT HAVE WE DONE!?" phase. I think it is 100% normal, especially since all the "experts" make you so paranoid that you have to do everything right or your dog is going to be a nightmare when it grows up.

It will absolutely get better. Your puppy will learn how your family works and what's expected (though some of It obviously takes a while). My "puppy" is turning 5 this year and despite the fact that we definitely didn't do everything right -- he is a fantastic and mostly well-behaved dog.

Oh, and one thing I found incredibly helpful is I bought a fence/play-yard kind of thing so that we could cordon off a very limited part of the house for him to be in (part of the family room so he could be with us). Then I didn't have to be constantly following him around or worrying what he was getting in to. That made me feel much more in control of the situation and know that he wasn't going to destroy the house.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

my 13-year old has had terrible panic attacks since she went back to traditional school this past January. She's now going to see a therapist weekly so that she can talk it out with someone and learn coping skills. We've also found that if she put Valor on her big toe and Citrus Fresh behind her ear in the morning, it has helped her emotional well-being throughout the entire day. When she starts getting emotional, stressed or even overcome, she goes to her locker (although lately, she's been carrying it in her pocket) and gets and use Peace & Calming. The teachers were very upset that she was using essential oils in school. The kids used to make fun of her for using essential oils, but after seeing how quickly she is able to overcome an attack, everyone (teachers and kids) leave her alone about the smell of the essential oils because they see them being a positive for her mental well-being.

I'm sorry you experienced this today, but am really happy your family was there for you to help you cope through it! You've got a great family!! Don't compare this puppy to your last one. Hopefully what worked or didn't work, you can use your trial/error with this puppy! It's just potty training a child, you can do this!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any advice but just wanted to send you lots of

Old 04-05-2015, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had full blown panic/anxiety attacks over my husband saying he was working a little later than normal. I get it. I'm sorry you had one. Especially today. So sorry.

I've had bad anxiety for as long as I can remember. The doTerra oil, Breathe, helps me but I haven't resorted to meds...mainly because I hate going to the doctor. I was on them once and they didn't seem to help any. Since starting to exercise daily, that's helped the most for me. Life changes, like a puppy, are huge triggers for me!

Good luck. Take deep breaths. Take a step away and have a few minutes to yourself. Hugs Brook!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Brook - I hope things are going a little better now that it's been a few days. I think most of us have been there and you should definitely not feel silly for posting. That's what we are all here for...supporting our friends!!!

I think as moms and wives we expect that we should be able to handle everything little (or big) thing in life with no issues. That is quite often not the case. I'm sure you'll find your rhythm with your new family member just as you would with a new baby. It's work, but I bet your kids and husband will help you out. Mom are normal people who freak out some times. I happens to all of us and it can be the what feels like the craziest things some times. It's okay to feel that way. If tea and a hot shower help then that's an easy fix that is right there when you need it. Hope today is a good day with the kids and the puppy!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Aww, Brooky...

I get it. I have my own 'puppy' AKA 11-month-old who causes the same anxiety in me. He was sick this past week and awake from 12 or 1 am until 4 or 5 am every morning. We were at my parents' for Easter and did the same thing to me. I just lost it around 3:45 am and started bawling as I was rocking him and trying to get him to stop screaming so everyone else wouldn't wake up.

I kept reminding myself that it's only a phase, that it's only a couple hours of the day, that he can't realistically be awake all day and all night long, that I would get a break and be able to sleep a little once my mom woke up, etc etc etc. It's hard to be logical in the middle of an emotional breakdown, but I do my best to remind myself that facts are facts and feelings are feelings and that I should act on one and not act on the other.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Love you, Brookie Pie!

I'm medicated because of anxiety/panic attacks as well. Holly gave some really good suggestions. I've just learned, don't apologize for it. You can't help it...it just is what it is.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sending hugs your way! I wouldn´t say I have panic attacks but I have my very own "wuaaaaaaaaaah" moments too. LOL. (there is no other way to describe them) I haven´t had a lot of me-time during the last few years. Being a single mom sometimes SUCKS! Some situations make me want to scream, shout, jump and go nuts. But hey! I went to see some beautiful places with someone special - without kids, without responsibility. I went to the top of a mountain and the day after we went to the sea. It was only two days but I feel like I am newborn! :-D My power is back, they scream - I smile! LOL. It´s all going to be fine!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww, you sweet thing! Definitely don't be embarrassed... it's nice to have a place to share what's going on in your life. Are things getting any better?
Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I totally know what you are going through. First, I have a lot of anxiety too. And I have freaked out over puppies more than once. The first one, my daughter turned out to be allergic to and I was so stressed out after about 5 days (even though she was a sweet, tiny little thing) that I was actually relieved when we had to find her a new home. I felt like the meanest and most unhinged mom in the world.

Then a few years later, we adopted our current dog and I was again a total wreck for the first couple weeks. I now call it the "OMG, WHAT HAVE WE DONE!?" phase. I think it is 100% normal, especially since all the "experts" make you so paranoid that you have to do everything right or your dog is going to be a nightmare when it grows up.

It will absolutely get better. Your puppy will learn how your family works and what's expected (though some of It obviously takes a while). My "puppy" is turning 5 this year and despite the fact that we definitely didn't do everything right -- he is a fantastic and mostly well-behaved dog.

Oh, and one thing I found incredibly helpful is I bought a fence/play-yard kind of thing so that we could cordon off a very limited part of the house for him to be in (part of the family room so he could be with us). Then I didn't have to be constantly following him around or worrying what he was getting in to. That made me feel much more in control of the situation and know that he wasn't going to destroy the house.
Thank you so much, Dawn! This made me feel SO much better. I am a classic first-born-child overachiever and I feel so much pressure to have a 'perfect dog'. Especially since I want her to be the type of people WANT to watch for us when we need to go away on vacation.

I got the octagon play yard I had in the attic from when the kids were babies and I am using that for the dog, it is the best thing ever! HUGE sigh of relief. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Things are getting better. I'm just discovering that a big trigger for my anxiety is that I just don't handle change very well. It really throws me off. It took me 6 months to enjoy living in our new home, and I anticipate it will take that long for me to feel like this dog stuff is no biggie.

She is super smart. I put a little doggie tinkle bell at the door and she rings it to let us know she needs to go out. Almost completely trained to go outside... just 1 or 2 accidents per day. The worst thing is that she had never been in a crate and it terrified her. So, our nights have been pretty noisy to say the least. I am keeping her in the play yard with access to the crate (with the door open) and today she stayed in it with the door closed for 30 minutes without freaking out. It's just a lot of work! And on top of this homeschooling, being a neat freak, and hating to have my routine changed. I am self-medicating with those little white cadburry eggs, so all should be well.

Thanks for being there for me. you all are the BEST!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and the allergic thing is so much better! I think the problem was holding her and letting her lick me. Also, she must have had cat or extra dog dander on her from the breeder. I gave her a bath (that was... an experience). Also, I am not letting her lick me anywhere on my face and that has helped. I try to make sure to wash my hands after petting her, too. So, yay!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i'm sooooooo glad that things are going better

now forgive me for being so hasty but. PICTURES PLEASEEEEEEE!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
i'm sooooooo glad that things are going better

now forgive me for being so hasty but. PICTURES PLEASEEEEEEE!
Gah! I know! Every picture I take she just looks like a black blob. It's hard photographing black dogs. :P I might have to have a photographer friend come take some for me.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't handle change well at all either! It's kind of like having a new kid. Then thinking to yourself, What have I done? I seriously try not to say bad words. Then say to myself, This to shall soon pass. I am a major routine person and when it's messed up. Look out world!

It does get better with puppies just like it gets better with babies Life's about adapting and that is one thing I am no good at.. (big hugs)
Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad the play-yard has helped! I don't know who recommended it to me, but I do remember how much better I felt after getting it set up and using it. I always felt guilty about crating our puppy when we were all just hanging around, but on the other hand, it is exhausting watching a puppy 24/7 with everything else we all have to do!