Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Procrastination

Are you a procrastinator?
Is there anything you typically find yourself doing when you procrastinate?
What is your feelings on procrastination?

I AM a procrastinator. I have to be in the mood to do something in order to get it done. This doesn't apply to everything, but it applies to many things. I don't really procrastinate at work because I love the sense of walking out the door with everything finished. However, at home, and in my classes, I tend to procrastinate quite a bit.

When I am procrastinating I typically find myself browsing here, deal sites online (and doing online shopping) or checking Facebook groups. I will sometimes procrastinate by playing games on my iPad.... and when I downloaded Tik Tok, that became a real source of procrastination. I still have it on my iPad but don't look at it often.

I'm in a group where the consensus was that procrastination was failure. I thought that was a weird way to look at it. I don't love that I procrastinate (I'm doing it now, I really should be doing online readings and a learning log for my literacy class) but I like to give myself some grace and when my head just isn't in the game, I struggle to get things done. When I am in the mood to work, I get more done in an hour than I do in 10 hours when I'm not in the mood. I think procrastination is a form of protection for me to keep anxiety from setting in. I also believe in productive procrastination. At the beginning of each new module I check out all of my classes and write down everything I need to do. I read through the details of assignments and get a feel for what I will need to do. Then I think about these things in the back of my mind while I'm actively procrastinating. When I actually start the assignment, I feel like I've already done half of it because I've thought about it while I did other things.

And now I really should go do the learning log. It isn't due until Sunday but I have a lot due Sunday, so I'd like to tick it off my list.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I too procrastinate about some things like housework or taxes. But for things I enjoy like scrapping I am super organized and can keep on top of everything. I always get things done on time but am thankful I work well under pressure so I can buckle down and do what needs to be done.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I procrastinate, but I'm also very conscious of deadlines and will get things done by when they really need to be done. I procrastinate by reading the news, checking scrapping forums and Instagram, or doing mindless tasks from my to do list. I tend to procrastinate tasks that require a lot of mental effort--not necessarily academic/school effort, but the ones that take a lot out of me. But like I said, I get them done and the extra time helps me be in a better frame of mind for tackling them, so I definitely wouldn't consider it a failure. More like a break. (Okay--I also procrastinate house chores like bathrooms and mopping. I suppose that's just laziness, LOL.)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Very big procrastinator here. In fact I procrastinated writing my reply. I think socials definitely are the cause of my procrastination. But I always get what needs to be done by the time it’s due so no harm no foul.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'd say I'm only a little bit of a procrastinator - and mainly with the housework, but since buying a bigger house in July I am trying not to procrastinate with that too because it'll be a lot harder to catch up in this house than our last. I procrastinate more with the 'adult' things - like making dr appointments, calling to complain about service, that sort of thing.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a gift for it. I am so incredibly productive at the last minute, but I always think I could have done so much better if I could channel that energy into the day I get the assignment so that I could do a better job.There are just always things that can't be done at the last minute.

So I always regret procrastinating and then swear I'll do better next time, but I never do. Though, when I act in advance, something always happens to make me regret that I didn't wait.

I think I'm always afraid something better will come along or I'm avoiding making a decision (or avoiding something boring).
Old 09-06-2021, 11:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

On a few things specially the things I don't want to do. LOL!!!

Old 09-07-2021, 12:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I am a master procrastinator. Like Kellie said, it seems to work for me & I manage to pull whatever it is off at the last minute.
I always make my kids' backpacks & usually finish them between 2:30 and 4:30 a.m. on the first day of school. When I try to get an early start on them (or any other project, really), I just work slowly and barely get anything done until the last minute anyway!
Another example is my monthly book club book -- I check it out 2 weeks in advance, read 2-6 pages per day until 2-3 days before book club and then I'll read 150-200 pages a day to finish on time, lol.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Generally speaking, I wouldn't classify myself as a procrastinator. Of course there are exceptions. I try to knock things off as soon as I know about them so I can move on.

People (mostly at work, but in my personal life too) always ask me how I get so much done and that's how. I try to avoid investing energy in most things multiple times (which ends up being a time suck if you have to go back and refamiliarize yourself with something or are thinking about it on and off before committing to it). If I know I'm going to have to eventually do it, for me, it's best to just do it immediately.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Expert procrastinator here. Mainly at home and things I don’t want to do. I am the same, if I’m ‘in the mood’ my focus and get the job done is amazing.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:53 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I think procrastination is a form of protection for me to keep anxiety from setting in. I also believe in productive procrastination. At the beginning of each new module, I check out all of my classes and write down everything I need to do. I read through the details of assignments and get a feel for what I will need to do. Then I think about these things in the back of my mind while I'm actively procrastinating. When I actually start the assignment, I feel like I've already done half of it because I've thought about it while I did other things.
I do this too....I have to let things simmer a bit before attacking my job or assignment or even sometimes scrapping things. Once I've got my brain wrapped around it I can usually get it done quickly as I'm not repeating or backtracking or making corrections as I've already thought things through. Doesn't always work, but usually, it does.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Generally speaking, I wouldn't classify myself as a procrastinator. Of course there are exceptions. I try to knock things off as soon as I know about them so I can move on.

People (mostly at work, but in my personal life too) always ask me how I get so much done and that's how. I try to avoid investing energy in most things multiple times (which ends up being a time suck if you have to go back and refamiliarize yourself with something or are thinking about it on and off before committing to it). If I know I'm going to have to eventually do it, for me, it's best to just do it immediately.
I am very similar. Professionally, I wouldn't want to touch the same task twice because it slows me down, and might slow my entire team/project down because of it. I find this thought process carries over into my personal life where if I just do the task, it's done and I have guilt-free time to spend doing so many things I love instead of constantly worrying about that one thing I have to do.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to procrastinate before responding
Old 09-07-2021, 11:47 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, somewhat. When I was working I had too many time constraints to procrastinate. My job had things that had to be done by certain days on a weekly basis. So there really wasn't much time to procrastinate.

So I did that with home things. Even now I still procrastinate. I've had a home improvement project in mind for 4 years and still haven't contracted to have it done. Well, I did contact one company that was going to come out and give me an estimate. That was 3 months ago and I haven't seen them yet. Guess they don't want my business. Someone else told me they knew someone that could do it but I haven't heard back from them either and since I don't have the contact info I have no idea who to even contact.

There are some things that people might think I'm procrastinating on but in all reality I'm researching my options and planning ahead. Once I've made that decision I don't hesitate to go for it.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i refuse to answer this quesiton. lol.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Old 09-07-2021, 04:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hahahahahhahaha

Old 09-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
Old 09-08-2021, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a set thing of doing household chores before I can scrap. But sometimes I get overwhelmed with the scrapping part, and decide to procrastinate instead. Usually I play on my phone or read a book. Sometimes I take a nap!

But usually I will get back to scrapping, unless it happens close to the time the girls get home from school or my husband gets home from work. Then it gets put off again to spend time with them! I do better when I have a set plan, or am just really inspired!
Old 09-08-2021, 11:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yup... that is why I'm writing out this comment when I should be cleaning house. haha.

Internet is my total downfall to use to delay doing something.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I have a gift for it. I am so incredibly productive at the last minute, but I always think I could have done so much better if I could channel that energy into the day I get the assignment so that I could do a better job.There are just always things that can't be done at the last minute.

So I always regret procrastinating and then swear I'll do better next time, but I never do. Though, when I act in advance, something always happens to make me regret that I didn't wait.

I think I'm always afraid something better will come along or I'm avoiding making a decision (or avoiding something boring).
I am also super productive last minute. I also feel like my many of my last minute efforts turn out much better than if I had dabbled and done a little here and a little there for longer. I feel like the time crunch helps me focus more.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Yes, I am a master procrastinator. Like Kellie said, it seems to work for me & I manage to pull whatever it is off at the last minute.
I always make my kids' backpacks & usually finish them between 2:30 and 4:30 a.m. on the first day of school. When I try to get an early start on them (or any other project, really), I just work slowly and barely get anything done until the last minute anyway!
Another example is my monthly book club book -- I check it out 2 weeks in advance, read 2-6 pages per day until 2-3 days before book club and then I'll read 150-200 pages a day to finish on time, lol.
This all feels very familiar. I work so much faster, and usually produce better quality work, when I wait and do it shortly before it is done.

I CAN do things early, but when I do it is usually because I give myself an earlier deadline and then turn it in right away instead of going back to it. If I try to work earlier with the intention of revising later, forget it!
Old 09-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This makes complete sense and is why I try not to procrastinate. However, there are so many times that I am just completely overwhelmed (mostly talking school work here) that I read the guidelines, mull it over a few days and then come back to it. I find that in re-familiarizing myself with it, it is all suddenly clearer and I see things I missed the first time around. At work I get things done right away, but at work I have more clarity than I do with some of my assignments. LOL
Old 09-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
My kind of person!
Old 09-18-2021, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I feel you!
Old 09-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Yup... that is why I'm writing out this comment when I should be cleaning house. haha.

Internet is my total downfall to use to delay doing something.
I used to say the internet was mine too, but it is funny how many things I can occupy myself with even if the internet is not available. However, I did just spend an extra 15 minutes on Tik Tok while using my vibration plate when I should have been starting homework... now here I am, instead of logged into Black Board.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am not sure I can be called your typical procrastinator, as in I put off doing things. My issue is that I work hard to accomplish nothing way too often. I call it getting lost in the weeds. LOL
Old 09-18-2021, 06:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Life goals!! ^^^
I'm such a procrastinator! I waste so much mental energy procrastinating. I would probably feel so much better if I didn't put things off. I despise making phone calls, so I put them off forever, but I stress about them the whole time! I'm really good at getting things done at the last minute. ("if it wasn't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!")
Old 09-18-2021, 06:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Imma usually let’s do this and knock things out type of gal….. but sometimes
Life requires me to move things up on the list.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I used to say the internet was mine too, but it is funny how many things I can occupy myself with even if the internet is not available. However, I did just spend an extra 15 minutes on Tik Tok while using my vibration plate when I should have been starting homework... now here I am, instead of logged into Black Board.
Oh my, I read "vibration plate" a whole lot different at first glance! I had to do a double-take!!!
Old 09-18-2021, 11:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
Oh my, I read "vibration plate" a whole lot different at first glance! I had to do a double-take!!!

Oh my! How funny! I bought it several months ago to see if it would help with my knee issues. I really like it. It has helped with my knees and with my restless leg syndrome.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another expert procrastinator....why do it early if I can wait til the last possible minute to start & complete something?

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Truthfully, I am a terrible procrastinator. I always, ALWAYS get things done, and I'm very organized about my procrastination, but I tend to work best at the last minute and rarely get things done early.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would say that I am not a procrastinator ... If I know there is something I need (or have) to do, I will do it right away and then move along. I think that is partly to do with being a little OCD - I like things in order, ticked and tied .. including tasks. When I have things to do hanging over my head, it gives me a little anxiety.

There are many times I have sat down to start scrapping, and then realize something around the house needs to be done, so I stop mid-layout to get it done.

Work wise, I don't procrastinate there either - I get those nasty tasks done that I don't really like right away so I can move on.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Truthfully, I am a terrible procrastinator. I always, ALWAYS get things done, and I'm very organized about my procrastination, but I tend to work best at the last minute and rarely get things done early.
This exactly. I always get things done on time and I do good work, I just seem to work better last minute.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Work wise, I don't procrastinate there either - I get those nasty tasks done that I don't really like right away so I can move on.
I'm not a procrastinator at work. I don't have time to be. I have things that need to be done and mere minutes during the day that I can get them done during. I multi-task and work through my lunch break every day to get things done.

When I am at home, its a different story.