Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom
Default TMI thread about girly bits

Friday the 13th I am having my yearly OB exam. I have had bad paps in the past and it's always one of those visits that just freaks me out. I can't ever seem to relax there and by the time the Dr. comes in my butt has soaked through the stupid paper on the table and when she asks that dreaded question, " can you scoot down?" Ugh all this pieces of paper come with my sweaty butt cheeks. Seriously it's like the worst embarrassing exams I think we as women have to go through. Not looking forward to it and am hoping I don't get the phone call afterwards I just want to see the card in the mail saying everything checked out ok.....sigh.....
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I admit that I had my first-ever pap only last year

It was partially because I was terrified of the pain. But my OB said from the get-go that lots of people say it hurts, and she said that isn't true. If it hurts, it means the doctor isn't doing it carefully. True enough, for me it didn't hurt, but I did feel pressure and the sensation of wanting to pee (which she explained beforehand).

HOWEVER, ugh, I do hate the scooting down. And the freakin' stirrups. AAAAWKward. I hope for you this exam isn't too bad!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh....I hate having paps done...seriously no fun! Hope it all goes well for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, that is a terrible appointment. I still go every year, but still awful. Luckily, it goes fast and is over quick and really doesn't hurt. Though I hate the feeling of that thing holding you open, it always feels like its going to shoot right out and hit her in the head or something.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I thought after my hysterectomy I'd be DONE with them, seriously....what is there to check on? Well, apparently cancerous cells can still grow so ugh. I have to have one every 3-5 years now. An improvement. But still.

I say start with your bottom all the way down so there's no scooting
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry. It is one of those necessary evils. The fact that you've had bad paps in the past surely creates a lot of stress for you.

Crazy, I've never had a female OB/GYN. I saw the pronoun 'she' three times and it really made me think about whether or not I had been to a female. Nope, in fact, I don't believe I've ever had a female doctor for anything. Just a strange side note.

Okay, WORST pap ever for me was when I was bleeding like crazy. I wanted to run and hide and cry and everything. I had crazy uterine bleeding for over 6 months and the doctor needed to find out what was going on so he needed to do a pap and a biopsy. It couldn't just wait until I stopped bleeding, especially when it seemed at the time I would never stop. The doctor was great though and honestly, just the idea of it was way worse than actually having it done because of the way he did everything and how his nurse reassured me. During that few months that we were trying to figure everything out I actually had another 2 while I was bleeding. Before one of them he asked how hard I was bleeding. I said I was barely bleeding, more like spotting. After the exam he told me that I was bleeding harder during my 'barely' than most people did on the worst days of their periods. I was kind of shocked to hear that.

Anyway, I REALLY hope you get a good result this time and can cross this off your list of things to worry about for a while.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaGardner View Post
I say start with your bottom all the way down so there's no scooting
Hee, yes this. Or how about standing until the dr. comes in?

I go to a nurse practitioner for my yearlies now that I'm done having kids. The OB/Gyn I had with the boys died of cancer 6 weeks after I had the twins - they were the last set she delivered. So I've known my NP (she was in practice with the OB/Gyn) for over 20 years so we chat the entire time she is doing her thing - she loves hearing about the boys since she remembers when they were born.

I do DREAD them every year, but then it's just over before I know it.

I say distract yourself. Bring a book or something and read it in the waiting room, and then in the patient room while you are waiting again. I took my Nookcolor this time and my NP had one too so that started the conversation right off.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My OB loves to talk and he sometimes is talking to me during the exam. it's like "DUDE GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF MY VAJAYJAY BEFORE ASKING HOW MY HUBSAND IS DOING"

But instead I just meakly answer while praying for him to be finished.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
Hee, yes this. Or how about standing until the dr. comes in?
This made me think that perhaps you could bring a bag with your very own personal towel in it. Sit on the exam table or even the chair on your own personal towel and then get into the right position after she arrives! She can wait a second while you hop on the table!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I go to a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) instead of the OBGYN's at the office. She's been my doctor since right before I got pregnant with my first. She has delivered both of my kiddos. She is even my Facebook friend!!! I feel totally comfortable with her. After all, it is no big deal for her. She has seen so many hoo-ha's! They all start to look the same, according to her, it's not something she even thinks about anymore. And, really, it's the profession she chose. So, I don't feel awkward or worry about it. The worst thing that could possibly happen is if someone farted in her face. LOL!!! Can you imagine?!?

And, I've always gone to a female doctor. I feel like they are such better doctors when it comes to my girly parts. I can be much more comfortable and talk honestly knowing we are the "same" and deal with the same stuff as women.

As for the sweaty butt. Bring a hand towel in your purse with you to sit on. I did that when I was pregnant with my first because for some reason I was always sweating like crazy (it is hot here in FL) and at the time it seemed like everyone was pregnant so I sat for a looong time waiting on that awful paper. She never said anything about it. They don't care. And it makes sliding down much easier!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
This made me think that perhaps you could bring a bag with your very own personal towel in it. Sit on the exam table or even the chair on your own personal towel and then get into the right position after she arrives! She can wait a second while you hop on the table!
Ha! I was typing my post as you wrote this. A friend suggested the towel to me. She is a germ-a-phobe, so she uses it for a different reason. The exam table grosses her out.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

heheh the towel is a good idea! I might just do that this time or just not sit on the table til the dr. comes in.

I had a male OB until I moved up here to Lynnwood, WA. Honestly though I loved my OB in SLC (Dr. Kevin Sumsion) I now LOVE my female OB here! She told me last time that if she isn't worried I shouldn't be either, but hey, I am always a worrier.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah forgot to mention I am going to speak with her about permanent birth control for me. Hubby has been saying he will get the Snip snip for over 6 years now and he hasn't even talked to a urologist. So I am going to talk to her about Essure has anyone had this done?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ugh - I have to go tomorrow afternoon for my yearly... not looking forward to it - have been having a lot of issues and I'm scared to death what he will tell me...

I've only had an male OB/GYN... I just went to the one my mom has gone to... in fact, she went to his dad, before Dr. Savage started practice (he is the same age as my mom)...

Alisa - I had to chuckle... Dr. S does the same thing... asks a question right when he is getting started and I'm trying to focus on anything else in mind until it's over...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

RIGHT? I mean it's nuts that he could have his arm so far up there it's practically coming out of my mouth and he picks that exact moment to ask me questions. Just do your business and then we can talk.

I adore my OB/GYN though, I really do. He's a wonderful man and I consider myself blessed to have had him deliver all three of my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Alisa - I had to chuckle... Dr. S does the same thing... asks a question right when he is getting started and I'm trying to focus on anything else in mind until it's over...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
But my OB said from the get-go that lots of people say it hurts, and she said that isn't true. If it hurts, it means the doctor isn't doing it carefully
It hurts every time I get mine done I've been having problems down there ever since getting pregnant the first time in 2001 though, so it's possible it's something called Interstitial Cystitis for me...no diagnosis yet though.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmom View Post
Oh yeah forgot to mention I am going to speak with her about permanent birth control for me. Hubby has been saying he will get the Snip snip for over 6 years now and he hasn't even talked to a urologist. So I am going to talk to her about Essure has anyone had this done?
I'm going to be talking to my dr at my visit this month about this. I'd just heard of it, and was reading about it on my dr's site. I was wanting to hear more experiences on it first though. I'd also have to talk to dh about it as well
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

EEK! HATE! But so important. And to make things weirder for me... I grew up with my OB/GYN. And he's a man. Our parents were best friends. Unfortunately, I moved to my current town 8.5 months pregnant w/ my 1st baby and he's the only one who would take me (high risk pregnancy). Since I didn't want to drive back down the 5 hours where we moved from to deliver, I agreed.

Strangely, after that 1st childbirth, it got "unweird" really fast . I just wanted it over with and didn't care who made it happen! hehe. Now 14 years and 4 babies later, I still use and trust him. But I still dread the appointment each and every year
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I need to make that appointment. Seriously dont even want to say how long it has been but my doctor who I really loved and he delivered two of my kids is no longer practicing (not sure why if he just stopped or died or what) Anyhow I have no idea who to go to because I have had some bad experiences with those types of exams prior to finding the dr I was seeing and taking my daughter to her first exam @ 18 she came out crying because of some things the dr said to her. I do not mind the exam so much as the thought of another bad doctor.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I guess I am the weird one.... I would much rather go to my yearly OB appt (and give birth for that matter) that to go to the dentist!!! LOL I literally want to puke when it's time to go to the dentist!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
heheh the towel is a good idea! I might just do that this time or just not sit on the table til the dr. comes in.

I had a male OB until I moved up here to Lynnwood, WA. Honestly though I loved my OB in SLC (Dr. Kevin Sumsion) I now LOVE my female OB here! She told me last time that if she isn't worried I shouldn't be either, but hey, I am always a worrier.
I used to live in Lynnwood! I was on the East side of I-5 off the exit that goes to the big Lowe's store! I liked that area!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I used to live in Lynnwood! I was on the East side of I-5 off the exit that goes to the big Lowe's store! I liked that area!
I live just down the street from the Cemetery. It's a nice area.

Brie I will let you know what my OB says about it. I do have a friend from high school who has had it done for a few years now and she says she likes it and hasn't had any problems. That the procedure was pretty minimal too. So I will let you know what my OB says and how it works for me. I am tired of my IUD and it will be needed to be switched out here in 4 years and with all the heavy periods and cysts on my ovaries its caused I am done having it. (10 year para-guard) It really was nice at first but now its just causing me lots of issues.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Kim! I only just heard of it, and haven't ever heard from anyone who's actually had it done.. I was kind of wanting to hear more about it before I make a for sure decision.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I haven't heard much about it, but I worked in an OB/GYN clinic for a few months after I retired and I heard nothing but good things about Essure. And if you have had a IUD, I would think the procedure for the Essure is fairly the same Good luck...and for me personally I would rather have a pap than a mammogram
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had to have a mammogram yet got another 5 years before that happens...it is 40 correct?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim21673 View Post
I guess I am the weird one.... I would much rather go to my yearly OB appt (and give birth for that matter) that to go to the dentist!!! LOL I literally want to puke when it's time to go to the dentist!!!
I actually don't mind either. I'd rather do either one than do the dishes. I hate doing dishes that much... drill on my teeth, sure, no problem, just let someone else do the darn dishes!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
I haven't had to have a mammogram yet got another 5 years before that happens...it is 40 correct?
lucky you I hope it all goes well and isn't too stresful...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It is recommended to have the first one at 35 and then the next one (if there are no issues and family history) at 40. I had one at 35 but am good to go until next year.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim21673 View Post
It is recommended to have the first one at 35 and then the next one (if there are no issues and family history) at 40. I had one at 35 but am good to go until next year.
I will ask my OB about it then. I thought if there was no family history you had your first one at 40. I had a Great aunt who had breast cancer but she was 1 of 9 daughters and they do say that 1 in 9 women gets breast cancer.....
Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

They just changed the recommendations on mammograms in the last couple of years. It is 40+ for your first unless you've had family history of breast issues.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I think all docs are different, my OB/GYN gave me my first mammogram at 35 and I've had ZERO history of breast cancer in my family. However my SIL's OB/GYN won't give her one till 40 and her mother had breast cancer.

I think many things factor in:
Insurance
doctor preference
the age when your relative got breast cancer
ect

I'd say if you want one get one...no matter what your age...they are pretty affordable even without insurance!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good to know, I will definitely speak with my Doc and see what she has to say and also let her know of my Great Aunt.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope it goes well. I don't mind my yearly, mostly because with fertility treatments you get so used to thsoe appointments...I'd rather get my yearly or a mammogram than go to the dentist!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL I really used to hate the Dentist more than the OB but I have now found a really great dentist and I don't hate it nearly as much.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with a really great dentist, and every dentist I've had since has been horrible and I feel like they are scraping my teeth off and cutting up my gums. I had a filling fall out awhile ago and I just can't make myself go.

Yearly appointments, not my favorite, but I'm not afraid either. Having babies changed my fears in that department.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had 5 babies still don't like having that yearly exam. When you have had bad paps in the past and you remember those not so fun biopsies....It kinda makes you terrified to go.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
\Though I hate the feeling of that thing holding you open, it always feels like its going to shoot right out and hit her in the head or something.
omg. i can't stop giggling!! HILARIOUS! mostly because I have totally thought that same thing before!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I saw my OB today...She did not do my pap but just took a look because of the "painful sex" issues I have been having....Well turns out I am old ladies. At the ripe old age of 34 my Uterus is in prolapse along with Cystocele (bladder prolapse) and rectocele prolapse....seriously I guess having the 5 kids did not agree with my Vajay-jay. Anyway the Dr. wants me to try some Physical therapy that specializes in Pelvic Floor Therapy.....Not sure what they are going to have me do other than Kegels....But she said she wanted me to try this first before we talk "surgery." See girls this is exactly why I am terrified of going to the OB.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

My OB does them pretty quick and it does not hurt a bit so I am fine with doing it annually under her care. I am glad my doctor is a woman

Kim - it's ok to be afraid but we all still need to go and be checked, otherwise we'll suffer more if we delay them. It's good that you know it early and you can still do something about it. i hope the therapy goes well..
Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mye View Post
Kim - it's ok to be afraid but we all still need to go and be checked, otherwise we'll suffer more if we delay them. It's good that you know it early and you can still do something about it. i hope the therapy goes well..
Thanks I am really nervous about the whole thing but I am definitely going to share what I learn...My OB said that more Doctors should send their patients to pelvic floor therapy after each time they give birth. She seems to think that if they did that woman would have less problems with this whole prolapse issue.

The birth of my first son was the WORST ever and I really should have had a C-section but it was too late by the time the Doctor actually was called (my nurse was a complete idiot and let me push for 2 hours unattended) Anyway I am sure that has a lot to do with all the Trauma there. Anyway I will keep everyone updated and share what I learn.