Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Friday Fun Facts 09/20

I would love to learn more about your home and everyday routines. Here's some fun questions to answer.
  1. Which room do you spend the most time in?
  2. Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere?
  3. What are three things you love about your home?
  4. Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you?
  5. What is the messiest room in your home?
  6. If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do?
Old 09-20-2019, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Which room do you spend the most time in?
My office in the basement. I do my desk work there, scrapbook and watch my laptop in there. I spend at least 6-10 hrs a day in there. It's small, quiet, has good lighting and there is a fridge and bathroom on this level so don't even have to go upstairs during the day if I don't want to.

Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere?
We almost never sit in the dining room, we are in the kitchen. My hubs will spread out on the table with a crossword puzzle and eat dinner while I will sit at the counter on my stool and watch the kitchen TV on the wall. Every morning we sit in the kitchen with our coffee, me with my phone to read a book, hubs with his puzzle (he's addicted lol), and we watch all the birds on the feeders on the porch.

What are three things you love about your home?
Our home is older and needs a lot of repairs/renos which we won't do b/c we'll sell it in a few yrs so I'm anxious to get rid of it and move on to something newer, smaller and further out of this congested city area. But, I do love the convenience of having extra bedrooms for storage, lots of room for all my photography/scrap stuff (still have my scrap room even though I hardly ever make cards anymore), I love my living room setup, I have a comfy chair to watch the big screen, I can stand at the stove cooking in the kitchen and see through the DR into the LR to watch the big screen. I love my little kitchen. Everything is set up as I like it, everything is easily accessible and I love sitting on my stool at the counter, looking out the windows at the birds.

Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you?
I rarely sit out on the porch. If it is hot out, we stay indoors as we have A/C. We have 3 windows to look out at the birds so can easily watch them from the kitchen. I BBQ out there but then bring the food inside.

What is the messiest room in your home?
It's a toss-up between my office and the spare room in the basement which has stuff that we don't know where to put elsewhere. I have slowly been cleaning things out but its a slow process. I'm purging more and more and it feels good. My office is messy but organized. I know where everything is but I'm bad about piling stuff up on the other desk where the fax/printer is and I was thinking yesterday its time to go thru it all. I have a wall of shelves that need to be cleaned out b/c most of the books/magazines stored there haven't been looked at in ages and there's no need to keep them.

If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do?
We have a separate kitchen/dining room and wish we had knocked down the wall, repositioned the doors and opened it all up. Its an older home so the rooms are small. It is definitely not an open floor plan. My next home will be, that is a must-have for me.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My bedroom, I think... I have always been this way, I need time by myself and that is where I head, my laptop is in there, too.

Kitchen/dining... it's open concept, only a breakfast bar separates us... or in the summer we will eat outside on the deck. Super rare to eat anywhere else - every December we do have a "picnic" in front of the christmas tree in the living room, as part of December Daily.

Master bathroom is huge for this size of house, the woodwork - dark maple, and no mortgage... that is what keeps us from being really serious about moving, haha.

Porch - yes... I wish it was about a foot wider. We used to sit out there more, but this year really haven't. My husband and son have a tradition that after doing year work, they sit on the porch, drinking a soda and discussing life.

Better question is what is the cleanest, haha... but it would be the basement... that is where everything goes to die. So much of Jake's childhood stuff is down there. Took me a really long time to let go of the dream that we would have another child... I really need to get down there and purge, but my heart says otherwise... sigh

I would love, love to add a sunroom to our house... we seriously looked into it, but because we are a story and half on the back of the house, with landscaping, it put it way out of budget... geez, the final cost for a 14x14 room was about half the price we paid for the whole house!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I spend the most time in my office where my laptop is.
I usually eat at our kitchen table - my husband loves to eat on the couch but I can't do it successfully - too messy =)
The location, my pantry (it is ginormous), it is paid for
We have a small porch out back, but it is shaped in such a way that it is hard to use - don't sit outside as much as I would like to
The office - it is quite small 6x14 & one end is a closet. It just seems like every time I try to clean it out, I can't throw anything that is cluttering it up away (needed for something, not sure what to do with it, etc.) I can declutter other areas of my house, but this area is hard for some reason.
Hard to choose just one - probably my #1 though would be redoing our backyard. Our backyard was pretty much our kid's domain (lots of grass, playgym, etc.) but now that they don't use it anymore, it is not really a good place for hanging out with adults (patio too small - current berms hard to maintain - our shade trees have died ...). Hubby & I have talked about it and have different ideas about what direction to go, so have not made much progress yet.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... lately it's probably been the kitchen, as we're billeting 2 of our local WHL hockey team's players- They EAT A LOT of food! Besides cooking/cleaning, probably the office/craft room where my desktop & all our crafty supplies are located. We also have a table in there that the kids do their homework & crafts at.

We have an open floor plan, so the kitchen flows right into the dinning 'room' and living room. I love that sometimes I can feed the kids right at the island, but with these 2 hockey boys, plus our kids, we try to have dinner at the table as much as possible!

1. Open floor plan- I can cook in the kitchen & still watch the living room tv. Or still visit with people sitting on the couch or at the table.
2. Upstairs laundry room (where 4 of the bedrooms are located & most of the laundry is produced!!!)
3. Tie between the upstairs room we call the 'loft' which is a space between the kids' bedrooms & where ALL the toys, legos, video games live. NONE in my living room (except board games)
3. Tie with the basement family room- we just finished it last winter so there is a ginormous tv & ginormous sectional and just SO fun to watch movies & sports!

We have a front porch area which I sit at occasionally- usually it's watching the kids play in the front yard or when the dog is out in the yard. It's super nice out front in the summer because it's shady & so nice & cool in the mornings. We have a back balcony that has a table & the bbq- we sit out there in the summer evenings when it's not too hot. I also like to have a tomato & a few plants out there too.

I try to keep a fairly tidy home, but the office/craft room is always in a state of organization... lol! Also- our hockey billet that lives in the basement bedroom is a pretty messy kid- He's awesome at cleaning up after himself in the rest of the house, but his room is something else!

We just finished the basement, so that's off our to-do list. Eventually we want to add some stairs from our back balcony to the back yard, Re-do the craft room/office with all matching cabinetry & farther down the road would be new carpet for upstairs & painting interior... but we're a bit burnt out from the basement!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Because I work from home Monday-Thursday doing childcare/preschool and my desktop is in there.... the playroom. It used to be our formal living room. In 2012 I left teaching at a school and started doing something small from home..... I only need two children to have the same salary as a classroom of 20. When I'm not doing that, I use my desktop to scrap on days off (like today).

We used to always eat in the kitchen at the table, and occasionally in the living room. But now that our meals are for 2 or 3 usually, not 6.... we have been a bit lazy and we usually eat in the living room and occasionally at the kitchen table.

Can my neighborhood be one??? We love our small neighborhood! Before we moved in 15 years ago we already knew 3 neighbors!! It's two and half streets and we used to have block parties.... so much fun!
I love the people that share my home! hehehe That's what makes it a home.
But my house itself, I love my back patio, it's so nice out there in the morning, so peaceful to enjoy a cup of coffee. Actually I love our whole back yard. We have a pretty big yard, I love the pool and our playground area.
I love the new gallery wall I put up in the living room when I repainted last year.
I also love my craft space. I do wish it was bigger, but someday when the children leave I will take over the basement. No hurry for this thought!

Yup, the back patio. We just added it a little over a year ago. We also have a sunroom, I used to use it more, but lately it has become storage. One thing our home sorely lacks!!

Kids rooms?!?!?! LOL Some of my children are a bit messy.... and when all the college kids come home for the summer, the garage and basement become extremely messy and cluttered.

Eventually we are going to put a roof on the back patio. I would love to enlarge the sunroom and have it be more of a real room. I would like the whole patio/sunroom to have one roof line and look seamless.
When I retire from childcare, we will redo the downstairs and kitchen.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-20-2019, 01:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

the living room as it is the brightest in my place.

the living room on my couch. When my son went away to school it was depressing sitting at the table all by myself. Now he is at home attending school we try to eat at the table.

I live in a townhouse so cutting grass and snow shovelling is done for me. It's a good size for 2 of us and the dog in terms of inside space.
I live in a pretty quiet neighbourhood.

I have a deck, we have 15' that is ours, the rest is common area. My deck is 12' so I made a little garden and have a small shed taking up the other 3'. I tend to sit on the step rather than on the deck as I am usually playing fetch with Harlow.

the basement and spare bedroom both need a good clean out, purge session.

pull down the wall between the kitchen and living room making the whole main level open concept.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Which room do you spend the most time in? in our bedrrom, specifically the corner of our bedroom as my computer table was there, and the living room.

Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere? kitchen.

What are three things you love about your home? my heart is here, this is the safest place where we can be, and there are lots of kids in our neighboors that my daughter plays with.

Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you? we have a small porch but we don't really stay there because we're facing and beside our neighboors' porches too, so since some uses theirs as a smoke area, and there are tons of bugs outside, we don't really stay much there.

What is the messiest room in your home? my daughter's bedroom, I guess. I mean, no matter how many times a week we clear it up, it still looked and feel crowded to me. Or the attic.

If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do? Since we live in an apartment, I can't make any, but it needs some improvements like the bathroom flooring which peels off with little water so I keep on gluing it. Also the bottom drawers in the kitchen. We haven't been able to use those since we lived here because they're stuck.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Which room do you spend the most time in? Technically my bedroom, since I'm asleep about 50% I'm at home. In terms of my waking hours, it's probably my family room.
  2. Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere? Dining or living room. We also have a countertop bar that faces into the kitchen, but it's mostly the kids that use that.
  3. What are three things you love about your home? Big kitchen, location, square footage with lots of rooms.
  4. Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you? Our front porch has an Adirondack chair and table. I sit out there when it's nice out and I want to read a book. Our back porch is mostly used for our BBQ and sports equipment. We have a patio area with a table and 6 chairs we will entertain with.
  5. What is the messiest room in your home? Right now, it's our garage. All of our crap is being stored there while we go through our remodel. Also, my oldest son's room is a DISASTER!!!
  6. If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do? We are currently about 75% through renovating our basement
Old 09-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Which room do you spend the most time in? Livingroom - it's the biggest, the literal center of the house, it has the desk area, I like to sit where the dog can come snuggle, it has the best natural light.... just overall the best room in the house.
Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere? Livingroom.... we are not sit around the table people unless its a holiday.
What are three things you love about your home? Sentimental (currently in my childhood home.... it's my brothers house, but we are living here while he lives and works in Nunavut). Location - I love this town and the community vibe, country, but not too country, quiet but always seems to be something going on.
Ummmm, there really isn't a 3rd thing..... maybe the giant bathtub even though I rarely have time for a good soak.

Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you? There is a closed in front porch (it's my hideout during the spring and fall..... too cold for winter and way too hot for summer). We do have a side deck with is my favorite place to be in the summer because it is where my BBQ lives.... however, I never sit out there unless I'm cooking because the Mosquitos and no-see-ums are just way too thick and terrible.
What is the messiest room in your home? Bedroom..... it's the easiest place to just close the door and forget about until bedtime.
If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do? It's a toss up between Redoing the entire kitchen or finishing the basement so theres more space.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Which room do you spend the most time in? Living room. I like it when we are all together.
Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere? FWe don't have a formal dining room, but we have a big kitchen table that is separate from the kitchen.
What are three things you love about your home? The gallery wall over my desk. So many windows. It's in a quiet neighborhood with a big (for the Philippines) yard.
Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you? Not a typical porch, but we have a big concrete space outside our door that has a bench on it. We also have a hammock in the yard that I love laying in to read in the late afternoons.
What is the messiest room in your home? My daughter's room. I just don't even go in there because it stresses me out.
If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do? We have a small office downstairs that has my treadmill and desk. I want to paint it and and put photos up and buy a cozy chair for me to sit & read in. But I lack the funds and hte energy.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

When DH and DS are in schools, I am mostly in my son's bedroom, since that where my computer is.
Dining room, which is the same room with the living room.
Bright during the day, the fact that we are on the second floor, and reasonably sized (for an apartment)
We do have a balcony, but it's not for sitting out. Instead, that's where we hang our laundry.
Hmmm... none of them, since I hate mess.
Have a bath tub installed in the bathroom and replace all of our window sills to better ones.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I would love to learn more about your home and everyday routines. Here's some fun questions to answer. (Fun one this week!)

My bedroom. My oldest son took over the living room as his "man cave" and since he hates sharing a room with his brother - it almost turned into his bedroom. I also let him have friends over all the time, so I usually have a house full of teenage boys playing video games and eating top ramen. So I turned my bedroom into a nice little zen sanctuary.

We eat at the kitchen/dining room table. It's the one thing I am a stickler on is that we all gather for dinner.

I rent. So there isn't much I love. That being said, when I first became a single mom, I wasn't sure how I would do it. Our first place was really tiny and cheap (a basement apartment) and I eventually got us into this two-story, two bed, two bath condo. I guess what I love is that I still walk around and think...holy crap...I did it. I'm doing it. But home owner ship is my next goal.

I have a little porch, but I rarely sit out there.

My youngest sons room. It's like going to IKEA when I go to his room. I leave with two bowls, three cups, a fork, a chair and other odds and ends.

If I could do something with the place I was in? I'd paint the walls and get rid of the 1980's looking light fixtures.

Proudly creating for Traci Reed Happy Creator for Studio Basic Designs
Creative Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow Feb-Mar

GALLERY | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Which room do you spend the most time in? Considering the amount of time spent at home, I'd say my bedroom is the room I spend the most time in. The living room is a close second. I work out in the living room, do a lot of my homework there, etc.

Which room do you usually eat in? Kitchen, dining room, elsewhere? Most of the time we eat in the dining room. The kitchen is not large enough for a table. Lately we have gotten lazy and eat in the living room. I hate it. We need to stop it.

1. The solitude of where we live.
2. The view, no houses in sight.
3. We can have any animals we want without having to have permits and such.

* Those are all about outside the house... I don't know if there is a lot I love about the inside. It's a late 70's split level with attached 3 car garage. The main floor inside is great. It doesn't need a lot. It just isn't my dream home (the property, I love). There is just nothing that stands out to me.

Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on, do you? We have a deck out back. I miss the balcony at the old house. We don't sit on our deck much because we have HUGE dogs out there who think they are lap dogs.

What is the messiest room in your home? What room isn't? The basement is the worst. The kitchen is always messy. My kids don't put anything away, ever.

If you could renovate, what is one thing you would do? We need to finish the basement. Right now we use it for storage more than anything. It is as large as our main floor with a utility room, 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a family room with a great fireplace. It would probably be my favorite part of the house if it were finished. Well, technically it is 'finished' but I don't like the paneling, the lack of vapor barrier behind it, etc. I want to finish it all right with drywall.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The front room -- which is a combo of a living room & dining room. It's an old tiny house so there are just the two bedrooms, a converted sunroom that serves as a third bedroom, the kitchen, the front room, & the bathroom. There is a basement but the kids have taken it over as their main living/playing space.

The kitchen is too small to eat in so it's always the front room.

I wouldn't say there's anything I love about this house. Thank goodness it's just a rental!

Do you have a porch/balcony to sit out on? Do you?
There is a small deck off the back/side door but I don't sit on it.

The basement for sure!

I have many plans once we have a home of our own!