Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Current Reads... Early May

Whoa. I'm not sure what exactly happened to April, but it's long gone! Between spring break, vacation & 2 weeks of sickness... April just seemed to evaporate for me. Soooo... what have YOU been reading??

Here's what I finished since the last thread...

Favorites included:
Neverwhere - 4 Stars
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - 4 Stars
Anne of Green Gables - 5 Stars
Both Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Books - 4 Stars
Daisy Jones & The Six - 5 Stars
The Word Is Murder - 4 Stars

I was sad to read the final Grafton Title I have really enjoyed this series over the years and am bummed that the author wasn't able to give all of her wonderful characters a proper send off before she passed away. I did start a new mystery series by Louise Penny - finishing off the first 2 titles - that I really enjoyed. Also really liked the writing style of Horowitz. I had read The Beekeeper's Apprentice about 12-15 years ago and remembered loving it. When I recently noticed that the series has grown a lot since the last title I finished [book 8 & now there are 15] and I thought I'd re-read the early books to jump start the later additions... but this time around it fell rather flat [I gave it a 5 the first time around and only a 3 this time]... so am now unsure if I actually want to dive back in or not.

It's been eons since I've read the Anne Girl series and loved re-reading the first book again... although, honestly, I read it so often when I was young, that I remembered nearly every detail

I highly recommend listening to Daisy Jones & the Six! I went into it cold, knowing nothing about the book, and wasn't sure for the longest time whether it was fact or fiction.

Truthwitch was a disappointment with 2 stars.

Last edited by lingovise; 05-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm reading The Library Book...and I need to finish it, because I think my book club is discussing it on Thursday, yikes!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I'm reading The Library Book...and I need to finish it, because I think my book club is discussing it on Thursday, yikes!
I loved The Library Book! How are you enjoying it?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

So April was the first month I picked up books in very long time and I picked them up via audiobooks and walking. I haven't been able to get my mind to focus on actual reading and there are so many books I've wanted to read and I finally decided to try audio and I LOVE IT!!! This last month and spending time outside and "reading" has been a huge help for my head.

My top books were probably: This is how it always is, Where the crawdads sing and The great alone. I started out with reading books more of the thriller/suspense/mystery genre which isn't something I usually go for.

I recommend those 500%.

I'm currently reading The nightingale by Kristin Hannah and am having trouble getting into it (I LOVE historical fiction) so I'm hoping soon it will pick up a bit, I'm sure it will as there has never been a Kristin Hannah book I didn't like.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wondered about doing audio books while on the elliptical because it's pretty boring just listening to music - so I am going to have to get a subscription through Amazon and give it a try!!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristin - I've read all those except for The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, This Is How It Always Is and Eleanor & Park. They were all good but especially loved WTCS.

The Nightingale is on my list to read. I heard that you have to get thru the first 100 pgs or so to really get into it but then it gets really good. K. Hannah is one of my fave authors so I have faith it will be good

Jill - I get scribd and love it. I listen to audio books while I drive.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Kristin - I've read all those except for The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, This Is How It Always Is and Eleanor & Park. They were all good but especially loved WTCS.

The Nightingale is on my list to read. I heard that you have to get thru the first 100 pgs or so to really get into it but then it gets really good. K. Hannah is one of my fave authors so I have faith it will be good
I just finished the nightingale this afternoon. I do agree with others, I was not thrilled with the first half of the book but the second made up for it and it was a great read.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I just finished the nightingale this afternoon. I do agree with others, I was not thrilled with the first half of the book but the second made up for it and it was a great read.
Good to hear. I will remember to persevere and keep reading until it starts to pick up.

Seems like we like a lot of the same books. I'm reading "The Perfect Liar" right now and I like it. I can't wait to see where the story goes.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I wondered about doing audio books while on the elliptical because it's pretty boring just listening to music - so I am going to have to get a subscription through Amazon and give it a try!!
Be sure to check with your local library too, Jill! I use both the Libby & Hoopla apps [linked to my library account] and have been thrilled with the selection of books [audio included] all available for free!

Rae - I spend loads of time chauffering my boys all over the place and listen to audio books while I drive too!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I take advantage of the library too. We have a 5 loan and 5 hold but I'm going to get my husband's library card so I can add that to libby too so I can put more on hold haha
Old 05-10-2019, 02:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I only got in one book - but I absolutely loved it!