Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Unhappy Concussion...

Last night while getting up to go comfort my son for the third time ( nightmares) I felt dizzy, lightheaded, and fainted.

I don't remember what happened from the time I covered up my daughter who sleeps in the bottom bunk. I woke up to my husband shouting my name and freaking out. I remember thinking "gosh, be quiet I am trying to sleep here" and then I realized I was laying in the hall outside of my kids bedroom with my chest and head inside their bathroom. And the pain in my head!!! Wow!

Thankfully I didn't pass out and tumble down the stairs, which are right to the left of their bathroom door. But I did hit my head pretty badly in two places... Huge goose eggs. I felt dizzy, was shaking, and had intense pain and nausea afterwards. And I wanted to sleep sooo bad. DH kept me awake for an hour and then woke me up every 30 minutes for the rest of the night.

Today I can definitely tell I've suffered a mild concussion.

I still don't know why I passed out? Maybe getting up from bed too fast? I do have pretty low blood pressure. Has anyone else ever passed out and lost consciousness? It was SUPER scary. I hope it never happens again!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like the quick get up might have caused the dizziness, but that sounds like more than just a mild concussion to me!

Hope you feel better!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

OMG, that sounds so scary! Hope you're feeling better soon.

A a child (about 8 years old I think) I had a concussion and even though it's 25 years ago I remember the sleepiness very well, also I tried to eat and kept dropping the fork.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yikes Brook! That sounds super scary!! Please take care of yourself!

I've never had a concussion myself, but I get dizzy a lot and I'm kind of prone to fainting, so I guess I've just been lucky up until now.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Are you ok? maybe a Dr visit is in order.
I've only passed out during pregnancies or accidents.
Be cautious and hope you ferl better.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

omgosh that is SO scary!! Here is hoping you aren't in too much pain
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

oh no that is so scary Brook! Hope your injuries are feeling better soon. My oldest son had a moderate/severe concussion once and it was so awful. I'll be thinking of you today. ((hugs))
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

BROOK!!!!!!!!!! That is so scary! Please take it easy today, and I agree with Mary... you may want to give the nurse a call at the very least.

*HUGS*
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am ok... I just feel groggy, a little foggy headed, and have a mild headache. No weird pupil dilating, slurred speech or throwing up, etc. I think if I go to the doc they really can't do much but scan my head for any blood clots or bleeding... Which I think if I had that I would have worse symptoms. I don't know...

Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had dizzy spells after getting up too fast. I wake up in the early am to go to the bathroom, and move around on auto pilot. I've had more than one instance where I get a headush tingly feeling, and then start to tunnel out and nearly faint. It always goes away in time, but I've had a couple instances where it almost didn't and I had to catch myself from falling.

I can't think of what caused it for me other than just getting up from bed too fast, but if I were you - I'd have a doc check you out. I don't think it would hurt to get looked at, you know

Glad you're okay (ish). Hope this was just a freak accident!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
oh no that is so scary Brook! Hope your injuries are feeling better soon. My oldest son had a moderate/severe concussion once and it was so awful. I'll be thinking of you today. ((hugs))
Julie, what were his symptoms? I'm staying in bed today and resting for 24 hours, and putting ice on my head every hour.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh yikes - that's scary! i would check in with the doctor too - just to be on the safe side …

and i'm glad you are doing OK (given the circumstances!)

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

wow... I hope it's nothing serious!!

Only once I remember passing out for no reason... I was probably 14 or so, talking to my grandma on the phone and the next moment I wake up and I'm on the floor and I hear my grandma from the phone..."Girl - where are you, girl? What was that thump sound? Ach! deVelt {some german world}, girl!" haha
Old 11-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes brook! Please take care of yourself. I am totally the person that wouldn't call or go to the dr, but maybe a call to the nurse would be best. Definitely get up slower next time!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only passed out and lost consciousness once - I was at a concert and hadn't eaten or drank much all day. I remember thinking it was so hot in there and I went to the restroom and stood in line at the sink to splash water on my face, the next thing I knew I was on the floor with a bunch of girls around me. They said I just fell straight over flat on my face - and I had a not so awesome skidmark right up my face :P and busted open my chin. I didn't hit my head, well other than my face, but after some water and m&ms I felt actually fine. Never had an actual concussion, though, so not sure what you'd be feeling.

It couldn't hurt to call your doctor though, just to see what's up!!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no Brook!!! How scary!!! Please rest up and call your Dr if anything changes. Or just call the nurse line like someone suggested.

I passed out/fainted once. I think it was from getting up too fast? All I know is I was reaching for a snack up in the cabinet and then feeling super dizzy and then I was on the ground. So I know how freaky it can be. Please take care of yourself!!! <3

Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope you feel better

I'd definitely give the nurse line a call, it could have been a blood sugar or blood pressure issue, and those are things they can at least monitor simply and easily.

Have you started or stopped any meds lately or been sick? Any chance you are pregnant? All those things could cause hormonal changes that could mess up your equilibrium too.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope you start feeling more like yourself. That's really scary Brook.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh Brook! You need to call your doctor and get some advice asap! I hope you're doing alright...
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That sounds so scary! I'd definitely check in with a doctor if I were you. Feel better soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I passed out once in my life and i hope that it will never happen again. All i remember is feeling sick and somewhat dizzy. Get well soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You probably had vasovagal syncope, which is brought on by low BP, getting up too fast, and other triggers such as emotional stress (waking up to sudden screaming), for some the sight of blood, etc. ), which causes loss of blood to the brain.

Also, fainting is rarely because of something in your head/brain, it's most often associated with the cardiovacsular system, so head scans wouldn't be on the top of their list of things to do except to check for where you hit your head when you fainted

Have you been limiting your sodium intake? When some people decide to start limiting sodium in their diet they kind of go crazy and limit just about ALL sodium and this can cause dizziness also - your body does need some sodium to function properly.

The only time I ever fainted was in my early 20s and that's when they discovered I had a heart arrhythmia - very scary at the time but really quite benign in the end. I did have to have an echocardiogram to make sure my heart didn't have any holes or other defects and I had to wear a 24-hour Holter monitor to record any tachycardia, bradycardia, or weird heart beats. All was well and I just have an extra heart beat now and then.

Last edited by mariewilcox; 11-04-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes! I'm pretty sure that if you think you've got a concussion you should see a doctor. Sometimes they can trigger something else, so if you can afford the visit it may be worth it just to make sure that everything is all right. Or at least talk to an on-call nurse to know what other symptoms to watch for. It sounds like you're doing everything right, but my nephew had some pretty scary stuff happen after a concussion, so now I'm wary of head injuries.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and for fainting I've suddenly become a weakling. The first time I gave blood (in college) I made it through the whole process and then after they pulled out the needle I started fainting. The second time I gave blood I made it through the whole process, went shopping, and then when I was home alone I fainted, and woke up on the floor. I don't give blood for more than lab work anymore, and I get nervous every time.

They also have to give me more oxygen and a little bit more recovery time before having me get up after giving birth because the blood loss makes me faint. I also nearly fainted when they were describing DH's appendicitis surgery, but I'm sure it had more to do with the fact that it was 7 am, it was warm in the room, and I didn't sleep at all the night before, and I hadn't had more than half a banana through the night. When I'm low on sleep I usually need more food to keep me functioning, so waking up all night and no food is probably what did it for you.

Luckily I've only actually fainted that one time...every other time there were plenty of medical personnel on hand to keep me from blacking out entirely. Fainting is scary!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Julie, what were his symptoms? I'm staying in bed today and resting for 24 hours, and putting ice on my head every hour.
well, Jacob was really bad off, so rest assured you are def in the mild side compared to him. He was at daycare and on a bouncy playmat. He bounced headfirst into the wall. Lost consciousness and when they roused him a couple minutes later, he threw up. He kept throwing up about every 20 minutes, saw the doctor and had blurred vision, lost of balance, unequal pupil size, and slight blood in his ears. So, went onto the CT scan, showed some swelling of the brain but thankfully not bad enough to warrant surgery. Poor guy was still throwing up every 20 minutes like clockwork, so they sent us home with some medication to stop the throwing up. He only wanted to sleep for a couple days and I had to wake him up every couple hours the first day. He ended up totally fine but wasn't allowed to play contact football or soccer the next season. So you might have to hang up your cleats for a while, missy!

As for people mentioning you going to the doc, I'd say go. Although the concussion isn't bad, you should know why you even passed out so hopefully it doesn't happen again. ((hugs))

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 11-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I got a concussion earlier this year (but not from fainting) and I would recommend going into the doctor so they can determine if you need to have a CT scan. They will check to make sure you're not showing any sides of internal bleeding, which is quite dangerous. My post concussion symptoms lasted 2 weeks (this is pretty variable depending on the person and severity of the concussion) and I had poor short term memory, severe headache and ear ringing. After about 9 months, my ears have finally stopped ringing as much. The biggest thing you can do is rest. For me, even thinking caused a severe headache. I slept a lot the first few days following the incident. Sorry that happened to you, very scary! I hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no advise that hasn't already been given but I hope you get to feeling better! How scary! Your poor husband was probably beside himself (and a whole lot tired for watching over you!). You got yourself a good man!

Take it easy. I am glad you are okay now. Sending lots of gentle hugs your way.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, Brooke!! So scary!! Glad you are ok!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for sharing your stories and replying, its making me feel so much better...

I don't currently have a doctor, for the past 2 years I've just been going to emergency clinics whenever I have something wrong (which is rarely). I had a new doctor I planned to schedule a physical with a YEAR ago so we dug up her number again and made an appointment with her tomorrow at 10.

I'm not a fan of doctors... hate needles, and like Megan, I have nearly fainted while giving blood or getting a blood draw and when I was in labor while getting my IV. I always warn them and they have the smelling salts ready. I also have cut back on processed foods, Marie... So maybe my sodium is low? Being lightheaded is not new for me, I've felt this way waking up and getting out of bed too fast before... but I've never actually fainted. I really am feeling ok, just a little foggy (I feel a tad slow to respond), mild headache and very very drowsy. Hubby came home from work at 1pm and I have been sleeping since... I just woke up because it felt so late and I was hungry!!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Wow so scary Brook! That has only happened to me when my blood pressure drops. And you're right it is very scary! I hope you start feeling better soon. I would have it checked out Brook because what if you have some internal bleeding? Don't want to mess with that.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Brookie!! So sorry! Unfortunately I have ALOT of experience with passing out, but it generally only happens when I am pregnant!

I haven't ever gotten a concussion tho. Bloody head, face, cuts, yes, but no concussion. I would take it easy and then see how you are feeling. My blood pressure is always low, and my iron, so if you are still feeling dizzy or anything, you might want to talk to a dr. about iron levels.

Feel better! ♥
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If they need to take blood, I just had my best blood draw ever today (pregnancy glucose). I made sure to breathe deeply, talk to the lady, and look the other way. Don't be afraid to lie down for a minute if you need to. I had to for my flu shot at my last appt. Good luck with the doctor! I'm not a fan either, and got chastised for waiting until 20 weeks to start my pregnancy appts...
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad you called a doctor! It's so scary and nothing to mess around with. I hope you get the all clear from the doctor and feel better soon!
xoxo
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Brook, you poor thing. How scary. I have no advice, just hope you're ok.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoddess View Post
I'm so glad you called a doctor! It's so scary and nothing to mess around with. I hope you get the all clear from the doctor and feel better soon!
xoxo
I wish I could take the credit, but it was my mom and DH who insisted. My mom made the appointment. I am a big chicken. LOL!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you are going to the doctor! My youngest twin had a concussion from colliding headfirst into his twin on the flag football field. He rested that day and we thought he was fine. On Monday morning his eyes were all glassy and I could tell he was having a relapse so I kept him home from school.

A few months later I had him in for a well-visit and the doctor was not too happy that I had not taken him in to be seen.

Now that they play tackle football, concussions are taken very seriously. The run a baseline test at the beginning of the season and then check against it if they take a hard hit. Minimum time down is a week.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That's so scary! I have only passed out due to pregnancy or a car accident, but I also have naturally low blood pressure and have come very close to passing out fairly often. If I was super sleepy like you were when it happened and unable to get myself into a position that would help, I could see passing out from it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only fainted once -- a couple hours after giving birth to my son while they were changing the sheets on the hospital bed. Fortunately, I was sitting down and only slumped over. The only thing I really remember was waking up to a very vivid dream and those disgusting smelling salts.

Hope everything checks out fine at the doc!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I bet it was all the gorgeous DSD kits overwhelming your system. It's been known to happen ;D

Hope it was just a one-of and that you feel better soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

BROOK! Seriously. I've done that once - but I got too hot, lack of sleep.. Don't knock myself out, but fainted.

I did give myself a concussion once - well twice. Once when I was 4 and I decided to ride the dog like a pony. My dad thought it was funny (you know, parents - the 70s...'nuff said!) and called the dog over, I was not hanging on tight to her ears and BAM into the wall.

Second time - not too long ago (like 2 years ago!), We have stacking washer/dryer. I opened the dryer door too hard and it must have partially swung shut and as I was taking wash from the washer to the dryer, I came up hard and knocked my head against the dryer door. So hard I gave myself a concussion. Went to the ER and everything.

Yeah, I am pretty special...

But take it easy. Do you ever feel like that any other time?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i haven't read through all of the posts... but please tell me that you are going in to see a doctor immediately. any kind of head injury can have some extremely dangerous side effects [although, not always]... but especially so if you lose consciousness. you def need to have everything checked out. so scary... thinking of you!!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How are you feeling today, Brookie?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I"m glad you made a dr appointment!

I passed out early one morning when my BP had dipped way low (i take a few meds that drop my bp and I'm naturally pretty low). My husband freaked and called 911 and I got taken to the hospital just because it was so low - they did a heart check thing (ekg?) and then sent me on my way and told me to stand up slower... I still have dizzy spells but I know better than to ignore them, and I also am really cautious about eating often enough and I stoped "jumping up" from sitting down, which is sorta sad because that is sorta my personality!!

Thinking of you today!!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Ohh Brook ...that sounds scary. I hope that everything goes well at the doctor today. Will be thinking of you.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thinking of you today Brook! Hoping the doctor had good news and that your head is feeling better.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Well, I'm back from the doctor. She didn't think I had any serious problems, like a bleed or clot in the brain, so no xrays or scans. I am feeling better today, too, so that encouraged her. My blood work will be in tomorrow to check my blood sugar levels, but my BP was ok. I definitely have a mild concussion. I still have a stiff neck and still feel extreme exhaustion and am fuzzy headed. I've been told to take a brain vacation for 1 week... She said no TV, computer, cellphone or ipad games, reading, etc. LOL!!! As you can see, I am not obedient!

Thanks so much for caring about me. It feels pretty awesome.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
She said no TV, computer, cellphone or ipad games, reading, etc. LOL!!! As you can see, I am not obedient!
This made me laugh (and snort - yes, I snorted lol). I wouldn't be obedient either. What on earth does she want you to do? I'd go crazy if I couldn't do any of those things on that list!!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

((squeeze)) we just love ya and want to make sure you're okay. Take naps, let the hubby fuss over you, and use this time to let him cook instead.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well, I'm back from the doctor. She didn't think I had any serious problems, like a bleed or clot in the brain, so no xrays or scans. I am feeling better today, too, so that encouraged her. My blood work will be in tomorrow to check my blood sugar levels, but my BP was ok. I definitely have a mild concussion. I still have a stiff neck and still feel extreme exhaustion and am fuzzy headed. I've been told to take a brain vacation for 1 week... She said no TV, computer, cellphone or ipad games, reading, etc. LOL!!! As you can see, I am not obedient!

I'm glad it's nothing serious. I wasn't joking when I said it hurt to think with my concussion. It would literally give me a horrible headache if I tried to go on the computer, read, etc ... for an extended period of time. It's so hard not to do something though! Take it easy!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad it wasn't anything serious and you're feeling better! Hope you're 100% real soon! Enjoy the brain break.