Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default the "comments" from non-scrappers

So, have you all gotten comments from others who don't scrap that insinuate you must be lacking in some other way because you have time to scrapbook???

For example, I just uploaded my new scrapbook pages from the past 3 months to my Facebook photo albums. I get this comment on the album from a former co-worker:

Quote:
Hey, is ur laundry done, house cleaned, dinner ready for ur fabulous husband, yet?!?!
And, despite the hair rising on my back a bit, I reply : "Yep! "

Then 2 minutes later she responds:
Quote:
Right............. Bahahahaha!
What is up with that?

It's not the first time something like that has been said to me. People who aren't creative envision me doing this all day when truthfully most of my pages take me 30 minutes at the most. And, I'm sure they have hobbies, too? Or is it because I'm a sahm and a scrapbooker? Should I not be upset about this? Should I delete her comments or leave them.

Cool me down, ladies. Cool me down!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'd come up with some witty comment like "What can I say - I'm organised. Are you not?"

or something better.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aw! (hugs) That seems kinda rude...

I luckily only get nice remarks, people telling me they love them, or wish they could do them, or want me to do some for them lol. But I really think my family thinks I can just throw them together in minutes... I'm sure they have NO idea how big a hobby it is for me.

That said, I don't know what I'd say to that - it would definitely irk me.

*eta: I like Jacinda's idea!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i get it every now and then. i've made it clear to them that i only scrap during naptime/quiet time though so they better back off it's usually the ones who want to scrap like that or wish they could stay home (or something, kwim?) that make those comments. i try to keep that in mind...though it rarely works lol!

i have no comeback...i'm bad with comebacks until hours have passed.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WOW... I've never gotten any comments like that... I would totally block her, though I do like Jacinda's comeback, LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aw, I'm sorry. I hate when comments like that are made. Back when I was married to a Marine, I had just had a miscarriage, and he was deployed. I had just graduated, and because of my disability, didn't have a job.

Someone actually messaged me privately on facebook saying "Maybe if you got a job instead of doing all of that scrapbooking bull****, you could actually contribute like your husband does." Um, I'm sorry, WHAT? I was super emotional after the miscarriage at the time, so I literally cried for about 3 hours over it. Instead of just not letting it get to me and continuing with my hobby and passion, I ended up quitting scrapping for a long time. I really regret that because it was really therapeutic for me.

The "too long, didn't read" version of that is: Keep doing what you're doing. Don't worry about the jealous people who tell you you're not getting the other stuff done. Everyone has hobbies. This is yours.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I'd make some totally passive aggressive comment . I'm rude like that tho

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
Me too! Lol!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This... And then I'd delete them right off my friends list. What a turd!

And I agree, totally jealous and probably very unhappy with their life.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Quote:
*snort* LOL!!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Here's the thing. For some reason or another, people just don't seem to understand that by someone else doing something good or being able to do something doesn't diminish them in any way and that they should just be happy for them.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ditto Laura!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think some people just have no happiness in life so they have to make everyone else miserable with nasty remarks. Definately not someone I would choose as a 'friend'. I like Jacinda's comment, but I would probably, myself, just be silent and delete her comments.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I think some people just have no happiness in life so they have to make everyone else miserable with nasty remarks. Definately not someone I would choose as a 'friend'. I like Jacinda's comment.
I agree with this, id totally leave her a comment like that. How rude of that woman.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow - that's awfully rude! I'd probably be all passive-aggressive, too. Or else extremely sarcastic.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Kristi. Has she ever been a close friend? If this is not her normal character, I'd reach out and try to work on that friendship. Remarks like that are often cries for help because she can't do all of that, and is jealous that you can do that and more.

I'm learning more and more that it's how you choose to spend your time. For me, including creativity really helps me get those other things done, as well as feel happier in general. If I merely browse galleries and pinterest and never get anything done, then I feel miserable and don't get ANYTHING done.

Aside from that, I think that most comments are not meant to be offensive. If they are, then that is the other person's problem, not mine, so I try really hard not to take offense. This view at least shortens my wallowing.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are always those sorts of people, unfortunately. If its not them commenting about your layouts it will be the same sorts of comments about something else. One of my cousins is out of work right now and to stay busy she's been posting a lot of little crafty projects on her facebook page. One of her friends commented asking if she thought she was 'Susie Frickin Homemaker' *rolleyes* She was nice about it but I would not be. It is no ones business but YOURS, you know?

I haven't posted layouts in forever but I did have a friend get kind of whiny once and comment that she wishes she had time to do that. Just about every weekend she's posting about going out drinking with her friends so I know she very well has the time, she just chooses to spend her time differently. LOL I've been out drinking with my friends, umm... never!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh... and I have to say, I work really hard to keep it reigned in but there are times people post stuff and I really WANT to comment they way she did about things. It really has nothing to do with them at the time, its just me. I go through cycles of depression and when I'm down, I feel awful about myself and its sometimes hard to see others doing things I wish I were doing, you know? I have to stop and think logically about it all and remind myself that our lives aren't exactly the same and I will do those things again and that helps... but, yeah, sometimes it would be so easy to be snarky like that. The difference is I recognize the potential there, realize its not productive and can be hurtful and I don't let myself go there.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd be deleting and blocking from my friends list real quick. But only AFTER I made a snarky comment back to this person and KNEW that they saw it.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh. I've gotten 1 or 2 comments, but nothing that rude! (Well, assuming that it was rude. Since I don't know her at all, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say there's a small chance she was being sarcastic in a commiserating way, as in, "Of course you don't have it all done--a mother's work is never done.")

In real life I'd probably do nothing because I never think of a good comeback until it's way too late to give it. I end up saying something lame like, "It doesn't take that long, and I don't need a lot of sleep." But I console myself by mentally ranting, "Oh, sure, you work every minute of every day. Poor you, no free time. I bet you never watch tv, waste time on FB, go to the gym, have a girls' night, try time consuming new recipes, play games on your phone, or anything else that can be called a hobby." I definitely agree with Sherri--most people seem to have a pretty limited amount of free time, and it's all how you use it.

Last edited by rach3975; 04-02-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Can you all be my FB friends??? thank you Soooo much. You are so right!!!!

My first instinct was to defend myself... Which, after I typed it made me even madder. Reading it made me sound desperate for her approval. I feel like deleting her comments makes me seem weak, also. I wish I could say something snarky in reply. Because I do not need to explain myself! I shouldn't have to explain when/where/how I make scrapbooking fit in my schedule. I shouldn't have to say that I'm freaking super woman... Because sometimes I feel like I am!

Funny enough, I was busier when I had my Etsy shop open and wasn't scrapping. I was always making shortcuts with chores. And this particular lady was even a good customer of my Etsy shop. What is it about scrapbooking that makes people judge. It must seem pointless to them whereas work is honorable?

I was upset by her comment because today I struggled to scrap but found the time. I did school with DE, went grocery shopping, mopped, cleaned the birds cage, played with my kids, fed them lunch, scrapped a bit, watered the flowers, ran a load of laundry, cooked dinner, bathed the kids, put them to bed... LOL. Just because I have a hobby doesn't mean I constantly shirk my responsibilities. Sure, sometimes I do! But her comments were way off today. Couldn't be more wrong.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry Brook. Mean people suck. ((HUGS))
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will totally be your facebook friend.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Point 1: She's a psycho hose beast. 'Nuff said.

Point 2: I think some people view solo/introverted-friendly hobbies as less meaningful or less cool than group/extroverted-friendly hobbies. Throwing a party, going out clubbing, or joining a gym all seem to be hobbies that people readily accept, but using the same amount of time to read or scrap seems to throw people up in arms as if your time (or you) only mean something in relation to other people or if you only matter if someone else sees you doing XYZ, kwim?

They see me rollin'. They hatin'. They try to catch me ridin' dirty.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just tell her to mind her own damn business. Or ask her if she took some "hater-ade" this morning.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brook- friend me on FB and I will say something to her!
https://www.facebook.com/AmberKazmir
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Reply to her: "Dude, my life is together. Jealous much??"

Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

how rude!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Nobody gets my scrapping. They don't understand why I'm bothering to 'decorate my photos'. They just don't get that it's as much a creative outlet as it is about recording memories. So I don't bother posting to Facebook. And I don't very often bother showing anyone my scrapbooks. They're for me and my kids, and sharing them with you guys is enough for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Some people are just sad. They act like they have no time for things, but you can make time for anything. I find time to scrap every week and I work a full-time job, a part-time job, am a single mom, make time to go out with friends once a week and go running 3 nights a week. Its all about time management, baby.

ETA, I don't post my layouts to facebook. I just don't want to share that part of me with anyone IRL who doesn't flat out appreciate it. My mom and my ex-husband enjoy them and they either receive their own copies or have a link to my gallery to look.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Wow Brook, that really stinks, but I am glad you are seeing that the problem is her and not you. Most of my friends call me the "creative one" like it's almost a slur, but I don't let it bother me. I am who I am and the only person who is truly going to make me happy is me. Scrapping makes me happy and when and how I do it is no one else's business. Personally I would kick that "frenemy" right to the curb. Life is too short to fill it with mean people.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow... some people have nerve! I like Jacinda's responses! They make a point, and they make me giggle! I'd pry also have some smart remark back too! I'd block them, or delete them! Most of my friends are really nice, and understand the effort... and some have asked me to scrap pages for them...

Hugs!

Jenn
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oops... apparently, I have a stutter! LOL... same post, twice!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yari View Post
Here's the thing. For some reason or another, people just don't seem to understand that by someone else doing something good or being able to do something doesn't diminish them in any way and that they should just be happy for them.
Aaaaagreed.

I used to have this FB friend... (well, before FB actually--way back when I had a LiveJournal account--LOL!). I would be so happy that I actually did something, like mopping the floor, so I would say something Twitter-ish (because, you know--it was before Twitter, too!) like: "Yay! I mopped the floor today!" She always took it as me trying to show everyone what a perfect little Christian housewife I was... when it was just the opposite! LOL! It was me saying "I know it's been months... but yay! I did it!"

Yeah... we aren't friends anymore. Some "friendships" aren't worth the stress!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
This!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ps. http://www.facebook.com/webseitler

Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wasn't aware I had to be a 50s housewife before I was allowed to scrapbook.

I'd try to give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she's just joking but yeah, sometimes people just don't think before they say things.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yea I get comments all the time about photography and scrapbooking. I just ignore them. They are just like any other hobby
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Brook I have never gotten a comment like that and If I did especially from a former co-worker I'd totally delete it and then delete her.

Why even go through the irritation of someone like that... blehhhhh

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yowch! I've never gotten a comment like that.

I would totally snark with a passive-aggressive comment. Or post Jacinda's comment (the first or the second, lol) and then move her to my "ohhhrrrrrmm" friends list (yes, it's really labeled that way) where they don't see anything at all. "Friends" like that can totally hang out with my MIL who's in that list too.

And Brook, I wanna be FB friends with ya!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've never gotten that kind of comment too!
I think she isn't worth to be you friend and since she is a former co-worker, not a close friend at all. You could just delete or block her.

If you don't mind having some strange Thai characters popping up once a while, you could friend me as well, lol.

http://www.facebook.com/may.scholz
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayS View Post
I've never gotten that kind of comment too!
I think she isn't worth to be you friend and since she is a former co-worker, not a close friend at all. You could just delete or block her.

If you don't mind having some strange Thai characters popping up once a while, you could friend me as well, lol.

http://www.facebook.com/may.scholz
I would enjoy having a few more SSD FB friends! I've got a couple. I might send you a request too!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my - I have never had that happen. All my comments are always very nice and make me blush, lol. I think it would really bother me deep down if someone said something so harsh. My first instinct would be to go all angry in a reply comment, but then I'd probably delete it and go for the snarky angle (the more calm you seem -- the more it looks like you're laughing at her -- the better in my opinion, lol). But yeah - after I was done, I'd delete her asap. I don't keep that kind of negative around ever!!! (I personally love Jacinda's replies, lol.)

And if you want another friend (or anyone for that matter) - I love having scrapping friends on my facebook It's nice having people that truly get it as friends sometimes www.facebook.com/jeniecemoody

Last edited by Jen22; 04-03-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've never received comments like that and can't believe anybody would. Really?

If you (or anyone) wants to be my facebook buddy

https://www.facebook.com/krystal.hartley
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What?! That's just rude. Sorry. I've never had that type of comment, but more than once I've received comments like, "So, are you going to be adding more photos to this later?" They don't get the "art" of it and didn't understand why my photos didn't fill the entire page. Hellllooooo... it's called composition and white space!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I'd come up with some witty comment like "What can I say - I'm organised. Are you not?"

or something better.
I'd say something like this too. I love to be sarcastic to some mean people online

http://www.facebook.com/myedln - feel free to add me

Last edited by Mye; 04-03-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow. That is so rude! I'd throw her off my friends list!
A lot of my close friends and family don't really get scrapbooking. I used to show them things but they'd just say: oh, nice and I felt like they just said that out of sympathy, you know?
There are a few friends that truly admire my pages and often say they wish they could do that for their kids, but they always claim not to have time for it...
Oh well, it doesn't bother me anymore. I love my pages and I love looking back at them. I know I will always love looking through my books and I'm sure my kids will too. That's all what matters!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

That's just terrible and sad. She's probably feeling guilty because she isn't doing any of those things or enjoying a hobby. Maybe she needs to find a hobby herself, other than bashing people on FB!

I wouldn't be afraid to unfriend or unsubscribe people on FB who just bring stress to your life...it isn't worth that at all!

http://facebook.com/dailydwelling
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow, how rude, and annoying. I wish I could be passive agressive, I probably would tell her to feck off and mind her own business
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Poor you, it's not nice when people are so rude. I've fielded a few similar comments recently with my cards. Some of my work colleagues think that because I live with my parents that every minute that I'm not at work is 'me' time and 'no wonder you have time to make all these cards, you've got no kids to be looking after or home to keep clean'. What they don't realise is I get up early on a Saturday and Sunday morning to make my cards as that is the only time in the week when I can craft. When I'm not at work I have school planning and assessmentts to do, housework, cooking and chores, I'm remodelling my own house that I bought in November, running the online ribbon shop that I partner with my Mam, look after my doggie, contribute to a few design teams and generally keeping busy. They are the ones that sit in the staffroom and tell me all the things that they've watched on television and how much cleaning they'll have to do at the weekend as their houses are a mess.

It's hard to know what to do because comments like that do hurt, I'm just a nice person generally and I'm not good at retaliating. Just try to rise above it