Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Famous Classmates?

So.. This is really random. Did anyone here go to school with anyone famous - either a celebrity or someone who now has a high profile job etc?

Purely curious.. you know how I can get.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Famous Classmates?

I went to school with a guy that played for Green Bay the last time they won the Super Bowl, but we just knew each other in passing. Nick Collins is his name. He had a pretty big play in that game.

The country singer Easton Corbin went to one of our rival high schools, a lot of my friends know him really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

nope. Some brothers I went to school with started a "California country" band and they made a couple albums and everything but I don't think they caught on...

ETA: I think they're actually pretty good.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went to HS with a guy who was in the Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon movie. I didn't even know he was in it (we knew each other, but weren't really friends) until I saw him on the screen and went "WHAAAAT?!" haha

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3611879/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Last edited by adi&co.; 02-01-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not anyone you'd know, haha! A friend hosted a cable tv show about poetry and has published a few books. A former teacher became a Member of Provincial Parliament.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No one really famous here.. Aaron Lines is a country singer, he was in my sisters grade. Chris Phillips is a hockey player for the ottawa senators and he was a couple grades ahead of me..
Old 02-01-2015, 09:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ha - I think majority of those that I went to school with still live in my hometown!

I had a friend who went to school with Kristen Johnston - who played Sally on 3rd Rock form the Sun... that is the closest I come to knowing anyone famous...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Derek Jeter is from my high school ... he was 3 years ahead of me, so we weren't friends, but I was friends with his sister, she was a year under me. Lol

Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I knew Bobby Eaton the wrestler back in the day. He was my brother's best friend during high school and Bobby's mother cleaned my aunt's house every week.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

no. My good friend went to college with the guy in the last Twilight movie. He was in a couple other things too...He was the Egyptian one. I can look up his name if anyone is curious. I can't remember it.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My principal's son (he's a few years older so we didn't go to school at the same time) was on a season of The Bachelorette

A Biggest Loser contestant was from my city last season, or maybe it was the one before? Anyway, it was fun seeing one of my fave restaurants on TV when he came home to do that thing where they see how they'll do in the 'real world'.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we've had a biggest loser contestant from my hometown, a survivor contest from my rival high school, and one of my classmates is now in LA breaking into the acting world(she's doing pretty awesome, but not a big name yet). We're still "young" for a lot of that, as we haven't even had our 10 year reunion yet lol
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OH we did have an american idol contestant from here which is pretty cool cause it's such a small town! Luke Menard was his name.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brock Lesner went to my college - saw him at Famous Daves once

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Luke Menard performs in Branson now. We considered seeing the show he's in for new year's but we stayed in.

And no famous classmates for me. Most exciting thing to happen in my hometown is Rascal Flatts recording a song called Ellsworth, KS.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I went to high school with Eddie Payton's nephew who was Walter Payton's brother. They would both come to his basketball games sometimes (Walter played for the Chicago Bears and Eddie played too just can't remember who for..I think it was several different teams).

I went to junior college with Randy Houser (except he went by Shawn back then) and he was pretty good friends with my younger sister.

Back when I taught school Faith Hill's niece was in my 5th grade class...it was always so neat when she'd come in saying she'd seen Aunt Faith and Uncle Tim.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Shawn McEachern, who played in the NHL (won the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in '92) graduated the year after me. Steve Leach, who graduated a few years before me, played in the NHL and was part of the 1988 US Olympic Hockey Team.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A Survivor Contestant (& later on Dr. Phil) was a year older than me but knew everyone. My husband's cousin was an original member of Imagine Dragons. He's now with Moth to the Flame. We had one who broke into the dancing industry in LA but he suddenly passed away last year.

Anyone know the Gardner Quadruplets? I was in the same grade as the mom, Ashley. They lived in my hometown (they recently moved so I don't know if they stayed in the same area or what) when she was pregnant. There's a few others but I can't remember them haha!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea! I bet that between both my high schools and college there's someone, but I'm isolated here in my mom/preschool teacher/scrapping bubble and wouldn't know.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Not in my grade, but the members of the band "The Tea Party" went to my high school.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I went to junior high and high school with Kris Allen from American Idol. He was a year ahead of me. It's always so weird to me that he sings because I knew him as a really good viola player.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I got curious and had to try a Google search. Of the people who popped up, here's one I at least knew a little. We had some classes together. January LaVoy who, according to Wikipedia, is the "Broadway and television actress most recognized as Noelle Ortiz on the ABC daytime drama One Life to Live."
Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I went to HS with an American Idol contestant as well. I forgot about her because I didn't like her AT ALL even though I had a class with her. I can't remember her name now though.

Just googled it. She was in the year Carrie Underwood won. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikalah_Gordon

Last edited by adi&co.; 02-01-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope. At least not in the 'celebrity' sort of way.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

nope. however, one of Bella's best friends' dad is very good friends with Justin Timberlake. They grew up together and his kids call him Uncle Justin.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Not super famous.

One girl I went to HS with has a pretty fancy cake shop now, and she's been featured on Food Network a few times:

http://spicedblog.com/baker-intervie...matsubara.html

A guy from my daughter's high school has recently hit it pretty big on the Nashville scene. He's a few years older than she is, so she didn't know him at all. But he's sorta a legend around there right now. His name's Shay Mooney, and he's part of the group Dan & Shay. They had a pretty big hit with this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Ac3uVAPZY

And just a couple weeks ago, a guy I went to HS with (and actually had a crush on when we were in elementary school) was arrested for murder (and he totally did it). So, I guess that makes him "famous" but not quite in the celebrity way. :/
Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh and not HS, but when I was an orthodontic assistant, one of my patients was Carrie Underwood's sister. Carrie grew up not too far from where I worked. So, that was cool. One time my daughter happened to be up at the office while Stephanie was there getting treated. Afterward, I told her that Kendra was a HUGE fan of Carrie and asked if Stephanie would just say hello to her. Kendra was absolutely starstruck by association. LOL
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I grew up with LeBron James. I almost dated him too. He went to a different high school but was in the same school district as me and went to a lot of the same parties.
My brother is good friends with Devon Smith from Ohio State.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Currently the biggest name we are known for is J o d i A r i a s . She's actually a few years older than I, although I don't remember her in school, I do remember her being a waitress at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

Some big names have had ranches or land here...and there's a baseball guy (obviously I don't know much) lol
Old 02-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
And just a couple weeks ago, a guy I went to HS with (and actually had a crush on when we were in elementary school) was arrested for murder (and he totally did it). So, I guess that makes him "famous" but not quite in the celebrity way. :/
I have one like that, too. A year or two after high school, someone who'd asked me out a few times (but whom I turned down) was arrested for holding a girl from our high school and her family hostage with plans to kill them. Afterward the police found a copy of his high school yearbook with people he wanted to attack circled. I was never contacted by the police so I hope that means I wasn't on his list, but it was nervewracking when it all happened. And just like you always hear on the news reports, everyone who knew him was shocked. He was a little odd but not the kind of guy you'd expect something like that from.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That's super creepy, Rachel! That's how it was with this guy. He was a quiet guy... sort of a loner. I didn't really know him that well. We played together in elementary school, but I never would've imagined anything like what he did (he killed the mother of his child and her grandpa and kidnapped the baby - he was arrested the same day cause he took the kid to his mom's house. D'oh!)

I can only imagine how scary that must've been for you when it was all going down! Thank goodness they caught they guy!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went to school with a guy who won Idols in Belgium. I guess it was 2004 or 2005. We weren't in the same year (he's a few years older than me), but I knew him since we went to see a concert together.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I went to college with Charlie Korsmo. He was in one of my history classes. He was the kid from the movie Dick Tracy and the nerd from the movie Can't Hardly Wait (which he auditioned for while at my school, took a leave of absence for the film and then came back). He was very smart and kinda smug. He annoyed one of my engineering classmates who was in the history class with me.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
Oh I went to HS with an American Idol contestant as well. I forgot about her because I didn't like her AT ALL even though I had a class with her. I can't remember her name now though.

Just googled it. She was in the year Carrie Underwood won. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikalah_Gordon
OMG, at first glance I thought you said she WAS Carrie Underwood, ha!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a not-so-fun one also. Remember the guy who murdered Jennifer Hudson's family members? Yeah... he worked with my sister at a diner in Chicago. She had filed a restraining order against him about a year before the murders because he was being inappropriate with her and it was making her really nervous and uncomfortable.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie Harmon went to my high school - she was a year younger than me and I only knew her in passing, but my younger sister knew her a little better. She won the Seventeen magazine cover girl contest while we in school, so she was known by sight by almost everyone.

I've seen her back at home a few times.

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

my dad went to school with the lead singer of Journey. (Steve Perry) not the newer guy.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

There are quite a few nhl hockey players that went to my highschool some were seniors when I was in 7th grade ( our school was 7-12) but they count lol. Bryan Berard, Brian Boucher, and Jeff Jillson were all there when I was.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh! I forgot - there was one girl in HS who became a model. I saw her in Seventeen magazine a few times back in the day. I'm pretty sure she was in the Sears catalog recently too.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I went to high school with a guy who ended up playing for the Lakers (Mark Madsen), and a couple of guys who played minor league baseball. Our biggest high school claim to fame (aside from an Olympic swimmer from the late 70s or early 80s) was that our men's basketball team beat Jason Kidd's team every time the two teams met. Oh, and Dennis Eckersley (he was a pitcher for the Oakland A's in the early 90s) used to work out on our high school's baseball diamond.

My mom went to high school with Denzel Washington's brother. Christopher Reeve graduated from the same university as my parents, but a year after them. And Pete Coors (yes, like Coors beer) and I graduated in the same class Cornell (but there were 4,000 of us in that class, and I never met him).

And I was chatting with another mom at my daughter's ballet class and she casually mentioned one day that her brother is the part of the starting defensive line for the Washington Redskins.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I went to school with Dia Framptom sister that was on the Voice

I went High School with the video guy for the Piano Guys
(His child played Baby Jesus in their Christmas video)
Old 02-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know, ask me a year ago and I could have told you. Today I can't remember at all. LOL I know several of our high school alumni went on to do big things but I can't remember exactly who did what. I do know that one of my friends who graduated with me has a Contemporary Christian band that is doing pretty well. They aren't super popular but I heard their song on the radio.

Here in the town I live in now we've had a few. Shaun Hill, who I guess now plays for the Rams, graduated from high school here. He is pretty active in our community still and hosts a football camp each year for the boys. My son went last year, and, of course, was the one Shaun had to stop from jumping off the back of the bleachers. LOL My daughter informed me today that our middle school boy's PE teacher used to play in the NFL as well. I think she said his last name is Polen. Not sure. We've had several people from this town on the Jerry Springer show. Does that make them famous? HA! LOL
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and my grandmother is Shirley Temple.

Not THAT Shirley Temple though. lol She was constantly asked if she was THE Shirley Temple after she got married. It totally didn't help that she was the right age, looked sort of like her and also had black curly hair.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Though speaking off grandmothers...

My step-dad's mom went to school with Elvis and said he was totally gross and no one liked him. She said he had HORRIBLE acne and he would put so much grease in his hair that you could see it drip off. Plus he apparently smelled really bad.

And my mom's mom was arrested with some friends when she was 17 for breaking into his (Elvis) backyard and refusing to leave his pool.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82

My second cousin is an up and coming Nascar driver, but we didn't go to school together and he is an K list celebrity if you ask me.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I went to HS with Carl Edwards (the Nascar driver).
Old 02-03-2015, 01:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I got nothin'. :P

Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I went to high school with Aaron Ruell who played Kip in Napoleon Dynamite. We had a religious class together. One of my friends was madly in love with him but I never knew him that well. His mother was awesome, though!

I also took a gymnastics class with the daughter of Fezzik from Princess Bride. They lived in a nearby mountain community until his passing several years ago.

On a side note, one my friend's uncle dated and was once engaged to Stephanie Meyer. This was before the whole Twilight thing, of course.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went to law school with a guy who later went on to be a pretty well-known politician -- Barak Obama.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

That's so neat Dawn!