Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default Do your kids pass out/get dizzy a lot..

I know the end answer is .. Call the dr. but I've been there about 588329532 times in the past month, including two days ago, and would like to space out my calls a little bit more

So I want to know if any one elses kids have this .. perpetual problem with dizzyness/passing out/etc.

this started noticeably happening November 29th (he may have had issues before and just didn't tell me . Ce is........................ stubborn, and doesn't want people worrying about him. He'll wait till he's about to keel over before he even tells you he needs his inhaler even. It's just how he is.). Anyway, he passed out at school. Full on dizzy turned green world got wobbly, collapsed on the nurses floor. She seemed to think he just needed to eat more (-.-) and did her obligatory crackers and juice, called me and sent him on his merry way. I took him to the dr that night and after xrays they said he had a sinus infection caused by his allergies. Ok. ABX round 1 started. (note at this point I took him off ALL of his medications save his rescue inhaler (albuterol). something wasn't right and I knew it. he was on 2 allergy meds (one is a nosespray), flovent, albuterol, a strong antihistamine (not for his allergies), and ditropan. He hasn't had ANY of those meds since then. Though I did start him back on the nosespray & flovent 2 days ago. He was on 2 rounds of ABX total..and I didnt want to get him on a 3rd so we put off going to the dr again till 2 days ago- thankfully they agreed with me. they didnt have any answers as to why he still felt like butt cheeks.. why he was still having passing out issues etc.. Except that he's "perpetually sick" (no crap.) They did a chest xray and it was clear.

This morning he had the worst episode yet. He collapsed while I was in the shower.. I came out and could just tell.. he wasn't right. He wasn't avoiding school (he loves school) he LOOKED like crap. He said he was really really dizzy and couldn't move. We ended up being 30 minutes late to school (I called ahead and talked to the nurse).. I gave him juice and a granola bar.. he didnt get any better. I really don't think it's blood sugar/food related.. but I'm not a doctor. The nurse was like "rarah that happens to me too sometimes if i don't eat enough". Ok lady.

Anyone have any experience with this in their kids? I worry because I have a .. history.. of passing out, heart related, it started when i was a kid and got progressively worse too.. I'm *trying* not to jump to that though because, that will just do bad things to my head

I do, however, need to be armed with ideas suggestions etc the next time I call the doctor. So it's not another.. "I don't know wth is wrong with him but he's not right" doctor call.

PS. he has had the pee glucose test etc done before. i don't know if we should request a full blood panel or not to rule out that sort of area though.

anyway thanks if you have any words of wisdom.. or. anything
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no advice seeing as I'm dealing w/the same stuff now! But, know that I will be praying for ce! & you! (((hugs)))
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

thanks sweets <3
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

How scary...I would recommend seeing an ENT physician. Dizziness is their specialty. Sometimes the pediatrician is not well enough informed. I am an audiologist and I see dizzy patients all day (testing and treatment). If that was my kid she would be here right now seeing the doc. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Could you talk to the pediatrician about getting a glucometer? It would require pricking his finger but I feel like knowing that his blood sugar is good will rule out the obligatory "that happend when I don't eat enough" comments. Also perhaps a blood pressure monitor of some sort?

When I hear the descriptions I think three things: blood sugar, blood pressure and heart rate. I'd rule out the first two before going to the last one.

(though a quick trip to a pediatric cardioliogist may not be bad. I'm pregnant and was having heart rate issues, they did an EKG and an Echo Cardiogram both of which were completely non invasive and painless. They get a VERY good understanding of someone's heart from those two tests. I'm generally anti test for kids but these two are truly non invasive and totally painless)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have a recent history of vertigo and feeling sick from the spinning sensation however it is more attributed to my sinuses and middle ear problems. If I'm clogged chances are I'll get dizzy at some point.

I'm no doctor (obviously LOL) but have they checked him for things like anemia or something blood related where it could cause his blood pressure to suddenly drop? Could it even be a side effect of the meds he was on or is currently on? My albuterol makes me shaky but hasn't caused me to pass out before.

My daughter sometimes will complain about being jittery or "shaky" as she calls it but she has not passed out thank goodness. I think she gets anxious about things which causes that issue.

Hope he feels better soon.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

thanks girls! I'mgoing to write all the suggestions down so I can bring them with me the next time we go to the dr (which I am sure.. will be soon lol).
Last year, they almost sent him to an ENT.. he was sick for months (like this year, but minus the dizzy/passyouty) They said he had to be sick /have ear problems for 3 months straight to give the referal .. His ears cleared 2 weeks before the deadline. I'm sure if I DEMAND the referral though they'd have to give it.. It's worth a try there I think.

They have not done any ekgs or anything like that on him (which actually kind of surprised me.. since he's had several passing out episodes). I'll def push to get his blood work & more testing done when we go again.
thank you!

ps. he and I were/are on the same type of rescue inhaler.. it makes me feel like woah afterwards too.. but he doesn't take that one regularly, only when needed. He def hasnt had it today so I don't think it was that.. I'm not sure how long the effects of his other meds would stay in his system ? that's something for me to look into too.. They def could have contributed to the first round on the 29th of november.. but I'd assume they couldn't be affecting him anymore now.. that's a long time.. but who knows ^_^ He did have the flovent & nosespray this morning- but that was after, not before the episode (I waited till the very last second before we left for school to give them to him. the flovent is the preventative obv, I'm not on that one.. so I don't know how that effects people.. but it was after still anyway.. He takes it in the morning and before bed.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest passes out if he stands up too fast. His blood pressure is too low or something I dunno. We had 100 million tests done and they eventually said "don't stand up too fast". It was awesome.

He was/is 17 when this all went down, though.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

profile gallery

My kids are all on inhalers and they don't have any of those issues. But I know if I talked to my pedtrician he wouldn't just leave it with a lets see if it gets better. The whole ENT, I would ask. I didn't have a deadline with any of my kids. If I wanted to go, my dr. said go for it or he recommended it beforehand. I do feel like we have an awesome dr and ENT too. Unfortunately we know both quite well. I'm assuming he has never had tubes or been to the ENT then? I know dizziness could be ears but thats scary if he is passing out. Good luck-we are headed to my peditrician this afternoon. We have croup

Last edited by knlchevys; 01-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

HUGS! I know that's really scary. I would recommend having a full-on glucose test done. I had those episodes all.the.time. when I was a kid and teenager and they never could figure out what was wrong, except to tell me I was a 'little' anemic and to take iron, which never helped. Turned out I had (have) low blood sugar. I finally figured it out on my own when I got out on my own, and had my doctor confirm it. Now that I know what it is, I just eat carefully and try not to skip meals. It's always worse in the mornings, especially if I skip breakfast or eat late. I hope you guys can figure it out!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to g6scrapped

How scary! Hope you can find out what's causing it!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

none of thsoe issues here. but i think a abttery of tests are in order. if your pediatrician isn't willing to give them, then switch peds. i'm sorry this is happening to him - it must be so scary for him and you!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did have that issue a lot as a kid, I could normally get myself laying down and recovering before I full on passed out. I also had it my entire 1st trimester. I have really low blood pressure for one and it was often related to food issues. I was either low on iron or protein. I would just grab something high in protein and lay down for a while. I never actually had it looked into though. I hope they figure it out for him (and you)!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

the pee glucose test is great for checking for hyperglycemia (diabetes) but because what the urine is tested for is actually ketones, which are produced when the blood sugar is too high, it's not so great for testing for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I'd definitely ask them to run the full blood panel. Hang in there mama...nothing is worse than not being able to figure out what's wrong with our kiddos. Hoping you get some real answers soon.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i hope you get some answers soon la. i'd suggest the ENT route as well as a full on glucose test as well. our ENT did amazing things for madelyn.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

I have allergic asthma which went nuts this summer due to the humidity. They tried to put me on a preventative inhaler but it would drop my blood sugar (went from 140's after eating-70 very quickly) right after using it. Dumped that thing in the trash.I get dizzy and like I'm half asleep when I have an asthma attack but catch it before I pass out....which if your brain isn't getting enough oxygen you can certainly do.

You can get a meter for $20 or $30 that comes with 10 strips and check him yourself. Might have to calibrate it- which is simple, just follow directions. Check his blood sugar when he wakes up before he has anything to eat or drink.

Poor Ce. I know this isn't easy on you. I've definitely heard of people passing out from bad sinus infections- but not that often. My guess is keep a check on the sinuses, asthma, blood sugar. Any one of those could be affecting the other.

btw....the full blood work panel doesn't include vitamin D and b12. you have to write those in separately and doctors don't routinely do it. those 2 had me messed up for years and if he has gluten issues (did I remember that right?), that really needs to be checked.

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 01-07-2011 at 01:50 PM.