Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 08/26 Organizing

Towards the end of August each year, I start to think about purging, organizing, cleaning closets. So, today's question is all about organizing.

Are there things you organize on a regular basis, on a recurring schedule?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Towards the end of the summer I start to pull out my fall/winter clothes from the storage bins and start to organize my closets and drawers. I pull out the sleeveless tops and shorts/capris as I only wear those when it's super hot out (I tend to tolerate the heat well and almost never get too warm) and things I didn't wear much or really like anymore go into a bag for charity drop-off.

The days are still warm here but the morning and evenings are really cooling off (down to 50's and 60's) so no need for lightweight jammies now so I started pulling those out of the dresser and putting them in the downstairs storage. I just bought a heavy duty clothes rack which I am going to set up in the storage room in the basement for jackets/coats. I have one that is falling apart so this time I made sure I bought a sturdier one. I have a thing about jackets (well, about clothes in general LOL) and have lots so I swap them out seasonally and store them both upstairs and downstairs. I'll wait a few more weeks, after Labor Day wkend, and then will start bring out sweaters.

I have been organizing the kitchen stuff too, I usally go thru the drawers every couple of yrs to see what I haven't been using. Our kitchen is small so I have to be smart about what I keep and if I don't use it much it can go into the dining room but there too I have limited storage.

What I don't organize on a regular basis, but should, is my office and the 2 spare rooms in the basement. They seem to be a catch-all for whatever doesn't fit somewhere else. Over the winter I hope to clean that all out and then organize it so I know what we have and where to find it. We took a truck full of stuff to the city dump on Saturday and it felt good to get rid of old furniture that wasn't even fit for donation and old household stuff. I took a few pics with my phone and can't wait to scrap a page about our day, I even have a title in mind "Stinky Saturday", so that'll be fun LOL.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have a regular organization schedule but my mind is always in "purge mode" because we relocate to a new duty station every couple years. We move ourselves (the Army pays us instead of a moving company) so it gets really stressful around that time, not only the packing/cleaning/driving but also the actual trying to make it all fit in the U-haul safely. I continually purge while we live somewhere so it never gets too out of control!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
I don't really have a regular organization schedule but my mind is always in "purge mode" because we relocate to a new duty station every couple years. We move ourselves (the Army pays us instead of a moving company) so it gets really stressful around that time, not only the packing/cleaning/driving but also the actual trying to make it all fit in the U-haul safely. I continually purge while we live somewhere so it never gets too out of control!
Cassie - I bet you are the queen of organizing....b/c you need to be for your lifestyle, right? We've lived in our home for over 20 yrs so when we move in the next 3 yrs or so it's going to be crazy, trying to sort, pack, purge, etc. That's also in the back of my mind so when I organize and sort things I think about how much I might want it or can I let it go, knowing that in a few yrs we'll be downsizing.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For the past 6 years, we have been living in someone else's home taking care of it, so our stuff has been pretty much in boxes. I LOVE love LOVE organizing, however, it is pretty much impossible when it's not your own stuff. :S Before living here, I used to organize things a LOT! I was never on a schedule, but I found more joy in organizing and reorganizing things than I did in having the actual 'things' LOL Currently, I have been going through a lot of our boxes and purging items, as well as going through closets (between weight loss for hubby and I, and back to school stuff for the kiddos we have a ton of clothes to donate), so I am in my happy lil organization zone at the moment.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Cassie - I bet you are the queen of organizing....b/c you need to be for your lifestyle, right? We've lived in our home for over 20 yrs so when we move in the next 3 yrs or so it's going to be crazy, trying to sort, pack, purge, etc. That's also in the back of my mind so when I organize and sort things I think about how much I might want it or can I let it go, knowing that in a few yrs we'll be downsizing.

Definitely, although I do tend to hoard craft supplies and sentimental stuff like school papers, projects etc. It's the memory keeper in me!

My mom has lived in the same place most of my life and has multiple properties (house, cabin, 2nd house closer to the VA hospital when she cared for my grandpa, etc) all with pole buildings, sheds etc. As a result she has never had to clean up/get rid of. She just moves stuff from one place to another. It's a true hoarder situation but after having to go through my grandmother's estate my mom is trying to take control of her situation so I don't have to after she's gone. These are the times I wish I lived closer so I could help her! Too much stuff really does clutter the mind!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am like Cassie. My husband is a contractor for the DoD so we also tend to move every couple of years and I grew up like that really so I am a purger too. But as for actual organizational skills the only things I keep very organized oddly enough are bills/bill receipts and my digi supplies lol.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh....I am so not an organized bills/receipts kind of person. I'm always late with our taxes b/c I can't find everything and keep putting it off.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually purge and organize at the end of spring/end of school year and then again at the en of summer/back to school for my kids clothes, shoes, supplies, etc.

I tend to go through our stuff during spring.

I do our everyday stuff about once a month, bills, desks, receipts, etc

Old 08-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

my husband's closet... haha!
Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I sort of live to organize. My boyfriend says I should start a business! I do a quarterly purge and re-organize of things like the cupboards, closets, kitchen, bathroom and my laundry room. I have little cubbies and holders for EVERYTHING!!!

I am a hoarder when it comes to clothes, make up and books...and I have the hardest time keeping it all tidy. I organize my closet by type of item and color and rearrange it seasonally...but after a few weeks it looks like a teenagers closet!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't regularly organize/purge but am feeling the need to since we are recent empty nesters. We have a week before my husband and I travel to Europe then I am going back to work so not sure I'm going to accomplish much of it. I did, however go through all of my clothes since I am down 3 sizes. I have 5 bags of clothes to give away! But now I have no clothes. I had to go buy jeans yesterday because I was cold!!
Old 08-28-2019, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We go through the kids' closets at the end of the Summer (to see what they need for back to school clothes) and usually again at the end of Winter (to see what they need for summer stuff!) We ALWAYS go through the playroom & toys before Christmas.

I've been kind of on a organizing kick- I've done our junk drawer in the kitchen & totally revamped my daughter's closet shelves. In general we maintain a pretty organized house, but it's fun to dig a bit deeper! I'm hoping to do our bathroom cabinets once kids are back in school & I have more free time!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

At work I am always organizing and rearranging. I think it is because I have more time at work than at home. That said, at home I tend to reorganize my kitchen drawers a lot.