Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Pocket cards

Does anyone else, or is it just me that would love the kits to have each pocket card in both horizontal and vertical direction so you can choose to use it in either facing direction? I guess maybe I’m gready lol but sometimes I love a card and it only goes vertical and I need it horizontal or vice versa ... boo
Old 04-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

All of the designers have a silent weep for a moment.

Haha... just kidding. But for real, this is one of those things we designers discuss often when we scoop together and make card packs.

I know this SEEMS like it would be easy to do, but it's a serious mental block when designing cards (for me personally) sometimes because not all designs 'flip' nicely and fit both ways. It really limits what you can put on cards and can be a lot of work trying to tweak all of the cards to fit both ways. I know some designers include all cards in both orientations, and those designers ROCK (cough, cough, Traci Reed!!! ) but for some it just doesn't seem like packs sell any better when we do. I think it would almost be easier to include both horizontal and vertical cards (not with the same designs on them) but it seems most people prefer vertical cards. It's definitely something we talk about behind the scenes!

I love knowing what customers think about it.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would love cards in both orientations. But it's not a deal breaker for me if the aren't.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would love that too. Or, if doing that is too difficult like Brook was saying, I wonder if you could just make a png of the word art or whatever is included on the card so it could be used in a different manner. Hopefully that makes sense.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post

All of the designers have a silent weep for a moment.

Haha... just kidding. But for real, this is one of those things we designers discuss often when we scoop together and make card packs.

I know this SEEMS like it would be easy to do, but it's a serious mental block when designing cards (for me personally) sometimes because not all designs 'flip' nicely and fit both ways. It really limits what you can put on cards and can be a lot of work trying to tweak all of the cards to fit both ways. I know some designers include all cards in both orientations, and those designers ROCK (cough, cough, Traci Reed!!! ) but for some it just doesn't seem like packs sell any better when we do. I think it would almost be easier to include both horizontal and vertical cards (not with the same designs on them) but it seems most people prefer vertical cards. It's definitely something we talk about behind the scenes!

I love knowing what customers think about it.
“Oops sorry” it’s not a deal breaker for me either I often just use elements or fonts and create my own card but honestly sometimes a vertical card would just be perfect in a horizontal spot on my page if I can manipulate and cut I do that too to make the card work for me
Old 04-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
“Oops sorry” it’s not a deal breaker for me either I often just use elements or fonts and create my own card but honestly sometimes a vertical card would just be perfect in a horizontal spot on my page if I can manipulate and cut I do that too to make the card work for me
Don't be sorry! I just like to be honest, and I was being silly/dramatic. This is honestly why I don't do it, but other designers might have other reasons. I actually love the idea of just saving the actual word art graphic on the card as a PNG to be used however someone would want to use it. Maybe not for every card, but for some designs that would be do-able.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

HAHAHAH Brook! Srsly! You are my favorite. hahaha I was "oh no" for like 10 seconds before reading your answer. hahaha

But, yes, girls, it is like Brook said. I do in both orientation when I am working with TR or Amanda or used to work with Megs, but that is it. Maybe it is time to start doing always?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also highly appreciate cards in both orientations because depending on the page, I can choose whichever is needed. (Pocket templates often call for horizontal cards). I sometimes try to make a card work in the other orientation but it's not always possible. I believe Flergs includes both horizontal and vertical cards and that's just awesome!!! It makes scrapping easier. To be honest, not having both orientations included wouldn't stop me from buying a kit I want.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 04-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like when cards go both orientations too! I do understand what Brook is saying though, that not all designs work best both directions. But maybe splitting it up so that at least a couple cards went the opposite direction (Usually horizontal). Even if they don't fit both orientations, at least 1-2 options in that 2nd direction would be helpful.

I have "cropped" many to fit a square space also, so I sometimes like ones that don't have a "frame" or fully fit their space. Does that make sense?

Either way, I just love the inclusion of journal cards! They can be used as a title space for a page or to guarantee you have to journal!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This is good to know! I often include just the vertical one too but I can try and start doing them both.. it really often comes down to what brook said and wondering if people were even wanting the horizontal? Sometimes it's hard to know if people are missing them or if we are doing things that will just take up more harddrive space on your computer.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
This is good to know! I often include just the vertical one too but I can try and start doing them both.. it really often comes down to what brook said and wondering if people were even wanting the horizontal? Sometimes it's hard to know if people are missing them or if we are doing things that will just take up more harddrive space on your computer.
<3 <3 Scrapbooking supplies will NEVER take up too much space on mine, I’ll expand it to the point of explosion if I need too lol :P
Old 04-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just a thought and honestly I’d be willing to to pay for a second set of cards if need be to make it worth the designers time.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know! Designers, make your cards square with lots of space around then we can just crop them! lol
well it only works if the card has wording and nothing else around like a border or something like that...
Old 04-04-2018, 05:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also love when cards have both orientation. It does make it nice when you are doing a pocket page that could use a horizontal one. I've kinda always wondered why designers didn't include both way, but now that you mentioned it Brook, I guess some designs may not work in horizontal orientation. I love the idea of including the png maybe so we could make it work in some way in the form we need it for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 04-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

95% of the time I use in vertical direction. I tend to only use the horizontal cards to fill a 4x6 spot if I'm short on photos that week.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I probably use about the same number of horizontal and vertical cards. When I think about the few pocket templates I use the most, one is horizontal 4x6's with vertical 3x4 spaces and the other is mostly horizontal 3x4's. But I'm with some other people that although I'd love to have both directions, it isn't something I want designers spending a lot of time on because I wouldn't be willing to pay much more for it. I love the compromise of offering a png version of the design so we have more options.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
95% of the time I use in vertical direction. I tend to only use the horizontal cards to fill a 4x6 spot if I'm short on photos that week.
This is me!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I do mine in two sizes, 3x4 vertical and 4x6 horizontal to hopefully provide some options. And sometimes I change up the design a bit to make it work for the different size.

I used to include the plain .png as well and even a square version, but it seemed like a lot of work for something that was rarely used on any layouts I saw. When I stopped doing them, no one seemed to notice, not even my team.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love using pocket cards in my PL album. I would be thrilled if all cards came in both versions and both 3x4, 4x4 and 4x6, but it’s not a deal breaker if it doesn’t. I know KCB did a spring kit with cards in all size and both layouts and I used the hell out of it. Still do. Wouldn’t mind more though. Even a separate cards add on would work. I usually buy the whole bundle because i love all the extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 02:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

no ella you are not alone in it ! for me as a pocket scrapper i would love to have the cards both ways so i can choose and variate more in my designs
Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I always try to make them in both orientations. But this mostly happened because i did project life myself for 3 years so i knew i could use both options just depending on the page, and i just never stopped doing that lol. because i know even i'm not doing project life anymore other still use both options.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm another pocket scrapper who LOVES pocket cards in both sizes and orientations. And squares. But like others, I also re-size and cobble together my own cards out of elements. Wendy, I LOVE your pocket cards because they come in so many ways! I sometimes buy the extra card packs if they're available, but it doesn't stop me from buying a kit if they only come vertically.
I just love when kits come with any cards at all!

Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I do mine in two sizes, 3x4 vertical and 4x6 horizontal to hopefully provide some options. And sometimes I change up the design a bit to make it work for the different size.

I used to include the plain .png as well and even a square version, but it seemed like a lot of work for something that was rarely used on any layouts I saw. When I stopped doing them, no one seemed to notice, not even my team.
Lorie, it's so funny you mentioned this because I have some of your older kits and the other day I was using a recent kit & thought, hmmm...this would have been nice to have

I love having both orientations. I think I mostly use vertical, but I have fudged the cards a bit if I needed it to work horizontally and there wasn't a horizontal version.

It's definitely not a deal-breaker to not have both (don't want to cause Brook any emotional anguish ).
Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm another who loves to have both options. It isn't a deal breaker, though.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I do both, sometimes one works better one way than the other but I try & make it fit. But I find that I tend to design cards with both ways in mind to avoid complications.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

if 4x4 or other squares had just been the standard size everything would be easy! haha (i know there are square pockets but they don't seem to be as popular)
Old 04-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use templates that has 2x2 and 4x4 mixed with 3x4 and 4x6. I believe they are by Erica Zane. Been using them for almost 4 years running. I’d love more 2x2 and 4x4, but normally I shrink the 3x4 or 4x6 to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really like being able to pick either orientation for the journal/pocket cards. When I'm doing a layout I have an intended space for a pocket card and then I find out it's not that way so I either have to redo that area, trash the layout or not use pocket cards.

So yes, I'd like both!
Old 04-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use either! It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, though having the art
If he card saved in a png would be awesome too! Sometimes he words/art are soooooo cute but the color paper it’s on just does not fit my page and I have to pick something else. This happens to me often as a card goes on after my papers are picked.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes it would be handy to have them do the ways, when possible I try and flip the card myself otherwise I usually just make it work for myself.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

If its possible it would be nice to have them both ways