Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Can you stand another S/O?

I saw some things in other people's posts that inspired me to ask a few Christmas questions too!

White lights or colored on the tree?

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that?

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar?

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time?
Old 11-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am loving these threads!

White lights or colored on the tree? My tree has white lights. I grew up with colored but I really love the white ones.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Usually wrapped about a week or two before. This year I will be doing it earlier.

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that?
We do something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read, something to watch (DVD), something to play (a board/card/dice game), Santa present, Stocking, and Christmas pajamas.

We will be doing Elf on a Shelf (my calendar is done for that!) and we have a wooden advent that was my mother in laws and then Lego advent calendar.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? This year we are doing Operation Christmas Child and we might do a Christmas Tree Angel.

Last edited by carriesmom; 11-12-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? I love white lights. My husband loves colored ones. I always had white lights on the tree until our kids were toddlers/preschoolers. Then my husband got pretty testy about the fact that I had white ones up. I went to Walgreens and bought them out of every colored light strand they had. I came home, took our tree completely apart and wrapped every single branch with colored lights. That tree could probably be seen from space. We still laugh about that but he got his colored lights that he said were 'for the kids'. LOL Now we have awesome LED lights that switch between color and white with the click of a remote. Best of both worlds!

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?

In my husband's family the wrapped gifts were always hidden until Christmas Eve. Then everyone would put theirs under the tree Christmas Eve before they went to bed. In our family they were always put under the tree as soon as the tree was up (or as the gifts were bought/wrapped). Literally my favorite part of Christmas as a kid was staring at the presents (we were never allowed to touch them) and imagining what was inside, who it was for (as many had no labels), etc. I'd stare at the tree and the presents for hours.

Santa brings 3 gifts since baby Jesus got 3. We give the 'big' (expensive) gifts from us. The kids usually get one 'big' gift and several little things most of which are necessities that we just decide to wrap up.

We count down to Christmas by using wrapped Christmas books. We've done this since my daughter was a toddler. She's 12 now and still looks forward to it. This year I found 2 Karen Foster 3D advent calendar boxes on clearance and plan to decorate those and put little goodies inside.

I can NOT pass a Salvation Army red kettle without putting money inside. I don't care if it is the 10th one I've seen that day, I still HAVE to put money in it. My kids have picked up on it too so now we put in money x 3. We also try to choose a name from the Angel Tree every year. This year we will be doing that through our church. Some years we do it at Walmart or through another community service. We also buy toys specifically to donate to the Toys for Tots drives. My kids pick out something they would like, pay for it, and put it in the donation box. Sean and I have adopted families at Christmas several times and I've done the same with my grandma before she passed. I love doing that! Sean and I adopted a family that lived next door to us and had 3 little girls. It was so much fun because I sewed a big red Santa sack and put their gifts inside. Then we sat it on their door, knocked and ducked out of the way. They were so stinkin' excited and talked about those gifts for weeks. Their mom cried when she told us how someone had done that for them. We never let on that we knew anything about it.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

White all the way... had colored when I grew up and I always admired white...

I usually end up wrapping them like a day before Christmas... haha... but if I get them done earlier, I'll have them out a few days before Christmas.

No... it's just what something I know they will want...

We do Lego Calendar, Jesse Tree, another bible related count down, a book a night, elf on the shelf... so pretty much every day was have something Christmasy going on...

Not really... nothing outside of church donations (Jesus Banks that J will give during the Children's service)... and we'll do the tree needs - where the Emergency Shelter has listing of needs for a certain age person or family needs...
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Colored. Because that's the way we did it when I was a kid.

Somewhat throughout the month. Gifts from friends and family go there, but not the gifts from us. Those arrive on Christmas Eve along with Santa's.

I do love that want/read/wear/need thing. I use it as a starting point but I usually end up buying them more than 4 gifts.

We go through the Jesse Tree for advent and countdown to Christmas with a chocolate calendar.

Yes. Every year we participate in Samaritan's Purse: Operation Christmas Child and the blessing tree at our church (which helps single moms). We are also going to start sponsoring a child this year as a gift to my parents instead of buying them something.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? So, John and I got into a HUGE argument about this our first Christmas in our own house. He wanted white. I told him white was pretentious and cold, and that colored lights were fun and awesome. I won.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? throughout the month

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? Nope. I always say will do things like that, but then we never do.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We have some fabric fishing Santa countdown that I hate with a vengeance, but it was John's grandparents' and he loves it.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? ... no...

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 11-11-2014, 11:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Can you stand another S/O?

-White

- the ones from other family members, the kids gifts for us & their gifts for each other go under the tree sometime during the month.

-no, just what they want, I do try to get them a book or two though

-we have an advent calendar I add candy & a daily activity to. We also have a elf & we're going to try & incorporate a Christmas book every day

-yes, we do Toys for Tots, the kids each pick out a gift to give. And last year we picked 2 children from the angel tree, that was fun, we bought clothes & a toy for them, the kids had to pick everything out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nesser1981; 11-12-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? we do colored lights because that's what makes the kids happy and there is nothing like seeing the awe of christmas all over their tiny faces!

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Only on christmas.. the littlest kids believe in Santa and my stepsons don't mind playing along!

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? usually no rhyme or reason. we buy what we think they'll love and try to stay with a budget of a hundred or two each child.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? the kids like the candy advent calendars because of all of the chocolate! lol. we usually keep a rudimentary countdown on our dry erase board and then the kids each get a little calendar with the cutouts and chocolate.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? We try to give all year because we are fairly blessed. We dump any and all money we have in our pockets after store shopping into the salvation army red bucket and then we donate to the Ronald McDonald house all year long. My son was in the hospital for 4 weeks with congestive heart failure when he was six months old.. we stayed there because we were too far to drive every day and the whole organization is just a godsend. they left us alone in our grief because it was hit or miss with my son for a good while. I remember crying into a bowl of spaghetti in the corner of the huge dining room which somehow seemed to feel like home and the host rubbed my shoulder and gave a half-smile... she walked on with wisdom knowing that a grieving parent will never be consoled by words. I will always donate to them and if i ever become rich, I will build a ronald mcdonald house on every corner that a children's hospital sits on.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? white, it's prelit

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? whenever I get a day off and can wrap, they go under

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? I buy what people want or I think they want

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? Nick always gets some sort of advent calendar. This year is Star Wars Lego

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? We always buy for a couple of veterans at the Veteran's home and ring the bell for Salvation Army on Law Enforcement night.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Colored, unless it's for photography purposes and then white. White photographs a lot easier than color.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? We wrap the gifts and put them under the day after putting it up (thanksgiving night). I'm usually done shopping by then and like to look at the tree with presents under it. A tree without presents is just sad.

We're doing the wear, read, want, need thing this year. I think we'll keep going with it! It's nice.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We've got an advent calendar that I made and then also wrap up 24 christmas/winter related books and each night we open one and read it together. This is my son with the advent calendar last year

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? I make crochet hats and give them out to the homeless that i see wandering around and also at the nearby homeless shelters.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? white only. I do however like some solid colored lights but not multi-color. Yuck LOL

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? usually throughout the month. Although it depends on how on top of stuff I am on wrapping.

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? I just try to get something I know the person is going to love.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? no

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? just give to food pantries and the salvation army bucket. We do not have a lot of disposable money though.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? White

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Mostly on Christmas Eve

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? No

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? No

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Nothing specific - maybe a food drive or the Salvation Army bucket kind of thing if I see them.

I don't sound very Christmassy do I ! We do other stuff in the lead up to Christmas though - like Christmas craft, make cards for the grandparents, Christmas baking that becomes part of the grandparents' presents, etc...
Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? When I was a kid it was always colored lights. When I first moved out and had my own tree I had a red/white & blue theme, so I bought R,W & B lights and sat down one very long day and switched lights to make my own sets (not fun & not recommended). Now my theme is peppermint and candy stripes so I stick with just white lights.....and a LOT of them!!

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? There are usually a handful of gifts under the tree during the month. The kids do shopping for their family at school, and the ones the kids grandparents send down and maybe a few that I get wrapped early. I never put them all out.... just enough to keep the boys excited and dying with curiosity but not enough to take away from the shock and amazement of a full tree on Christmas morning.

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? No real reasoning behind my giving, the kids have to get PJ's, other than that it's as much stuff as they've asked for that fits in the budget that I've made.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We have an advent Calendar, but not one that has anything special inside. The kids race in excitement to see who can move the counter piece first so that's enough for that. They each get one of those chocolate a day calendars too.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? In the past the boys have raised money in their 4H group to give to Christmas Daddies (a local telethon to raise money for needy families), and we've also given gifts to that as well. This year we are doing Operation Christmas Child and filling a couple shoe boxes to send out.

Last edited by JennNtheBoys; 11-12-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? Colored. I grew up with colored and I will not deviate - plus I'm a colorful person

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? [COLOR="rgb(75, 0, 130)"]I put them under the tree as I wrap them. If the cats are too interested in them I might have to pull them if they're getting scratched at.[/COLOR]

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? [COLOR="rgb(75, 0, 130)"]No rhyme or reason - whatever is needed/wanted that year.[/COLOR]

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? [COLOR="rgb(75, 0, 130)"]We make a chain of red and green construction paper "links" one for each day starting Thanksgiving night. I did this as a kid too and mine always loved it. It always hangs just outside the bedrooms on the wall and right before bed the kids take one off.[/COLOR]

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Through work we donate a small amount from each paycheck, whatever anyone is comfortable giving (could as little as a dollar). We start the 1st check of the year and end the last check of October. Starting in September we go to the local schools and find families who have recently fallen on hard times and do Christmas for them. This includes necessities for the whole family - coats, boots, hats, gloves/mittens and 2 toys for each child. We also buy all the fixings for Christmas dinner and other foods like cereals, pasta and sauce, PB/jelly, (if not allergic), bread, etc. With 75 employees we get a good amount of money saved up and usually can do several families very well. Our state has had so many mill shut downs the past few years and these families have worked so hard and are proud, so we do it all anonymously through the guidance counselors - they know which families are struggling. The counselor talks to the families and gets clothing sizes and ages of the kids and a small wish list for each kid so we can choose for them. It's a really great feeling on Christmas morning to know that somewhere in town a family is having a better Christmas. ETA: I've been doing this since Cheyanne was a year old (when I started with this company) and she's always loved helping shop for our families and asks every year what we are shopping for. I'm glad it's something she thinks about instead of just what she wants.

Last edited by mariewilcox; 11-12-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree?I like white and my hubs likes multi-colored but I insist on white.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? We will put wrapped gifts under the tree for family members that won't be with us on Xmas morning. We put them at the back of the tree, separated from our family gifts that we'll open Xmas morning.

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? Nope. No rhythm or reason.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? When the kids were little we had the calendars but not anymore.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? I sign up at a local business where we fill a shoebox with essentials for the elderly in a home (socks, shampoo, tea, mints, etc).
Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love colored lights. I think they are so pretty to look at, but for some reason white lights always end up on our tree!

I love to see the presents under the tree all throughout the month. We've been away from home the past few years so presents always got shipped to where we were going to be way in advance. We're finally in the same state where we will be celebrating so I can't wait to see presents under the tree!

We're pretty frugal being a med student family, so the kids get a few (like 2, grandparents spoil the crud out of them and take care of much more than they want or need) things they want and the hubs and I usually get 1 big gift combined from the whole family (parents, grandparents & each other).

Last year my daughter was really understanding the concept of calendars so we counted down on the calendar to our Christmas vacation.

We don't do advent calendars, but for some reason, I LOVE the chocolate that comes in those things. I'm talking the super cheap little advent calendars. I bought 10 of them one year. Just for myself! There is something so delicious about that stupid chocolate!!

As a kid, my parents used to choose a family or two that they knew were in need and put money in an envelope and then we would leave it anonymously on their doorstep. My job was to ring the doorbell and run! I loved being involved in that way as a kid. My parents were always so generous. My mom always said my dad would give the shirt off his back if he could, ridiculed him for it even, but truth be told she would do the same.
My grandmother always told me as a little girl that she wished she was rich so she could walk around at Christmas time and hand out $100 bills to the homeless people. I've always remembered that, and one day, when this med school journey is over, I pray I can afford to do that in her memory.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

White lights or colored on the tree? Both. We have a white tree with colored lights and also a Real Christmas Tree with clear lights!

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Throughout the month and a few of the big gifts just on Christmas Eve/Day

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? I always get my mom Jewelry & PJ's and my dad always gets some kind of tool that he needs and the newest Nicholas Sparks book if one is available

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? Not really

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? We usually do Shoe boxes for underprivileged children in the area and we sometimes volunteer at the church during the Christmas season

Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ours is prelit. I think it's white? Is it weird that I don't know for sure?

I can't stand having the kids shake, count, guess, etc. abt the presents, so I wrap them Christmas Eve and put them under the tree then. The only presents we open at home are from us and Santa, so there aren't any other presents to go under the tree beforehand.

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving?
Not really. I'm not a gift person, so just picking them out, getting them home, and getting them wrapped is enough work for me.

My mom is a paper scrapper and made us an Advent calendar last year with a muffin pan and Hershey kisses inside the different spots. I would like to do a Jesse Tree, but I haven't been organized enough to pull that together yet.

We do Operation: Christmas Child and various service projects through our church/Bible study.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? Our tree is artificial (which I hate) and the white lights are already on it

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Presents are wrapped when I have time to wrap them...generally a couple days before Christmas

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? Nope

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We have a little snowman that hangs on the wall that is a countdown thingy

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Ever since I was a little girl we have done some sort of charity gift giving. My parents always sponsored a family from school (completely anonymous...we had no idea who the family was). This last year my group of friends put together a bunch of things to donate to the Marjaree Mason Center. They are a local organization that provides housing to women and children that have left an abusive home. We will probably do the same thing again this year. I used to pick names from the tree at the mall or a Starbucks but some of those things are just getting out of hand. I'm sorry but if you are asking for a Wii game and my kids don't even have a Wii..just no. Not happening.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? I prefer white... I've always had white.. of course, Jacob and Connor had different ideas last year and now we have a really wonky colourful tree :P

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Maybe a few things end up under there, but I'm a last minute packer.. so it's christmas eve.

no..

no..

not really.. I used to participate in local family christmas food basket drives when I was younger (Delivering them etc) now we mostly just donate through connor's school, can goods or gloves etc.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? We currently have white, although I grew up with colored and I always loved it - with our mismatched/homemade ornaments, I think colored would look better and remind me more of my childhood The white always reminded me of perfectly matched and put together trees, but our tree is prelit, so it's white.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? I wrap whatever we get to/from each other and it goes under the tree as soon as we wrap it Just santa gifts get added Christmas Eve.

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that?No rhyme or reason, just get them some stuff they need, some stuff they want.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? No Makes me sad, because I grew up with a December countdown calendar that we all looooved! I need to get on the ball and get some kind of countdown for the girls.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Nothing specific every year, but we give as much as we can. I think this year I might finally start the operation Christmas child... I think the girls would have a lot of fun with that, and it'd be something awesome to do every year.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

White lights or colored on the tree? I prefer white, but we have colored because DH and Rachel preferred them.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? all month...or as I get them wrapped

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? Not really, other than the traditional Christmas Eve PJ's

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? no, but our church does Advent each Sunday in December

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Our main charity tradition is Families Loving Families on Thanksgiving Day. We have 400+ people from church who come up to box up homemade turkey meals and then deliver them to about 1500 people in our area. Rachel and I help pack boxes.
Christmas-wise, I think we'll be working at the food pantry with her Girl Scout troop.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

White lights, and blue, white and silver decorations.
we dont celebrate christmas with presents, we celebrate sinterklaas with presents dec. 5 th.
i buy stuff they need like a bedcover, a game and otger stuff i know they like.
not realy doing charity, but in the netherlands a week before christmas you have serious request, 3 dj, s are in a glass house, not eating for a week for something in the world that needs help and money.
you can send messages and donate like that, or request a song for money ir by items.
so like this i do a little charity
Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? White - I just like the sparkle of white lights.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Throughout the month

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? No rhyme or reason. Just whatever strikes my fancy!

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? My BIL and SIL bought each boy an advent calendar with little doors that open and they send us gifts to fill it each year. Then I do the 25 Christmas books - they don't each get 25 though, they have to share.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Yes, actually it's one of my favorite parts! At work we always adopt a family and everyone signs up for something from the family's wishlist and we end up with a whole heap of gifts for them. And daycare usually collects books for the local Ronald McDonald house. And I like to buy a toy for our Toys 4 Tots tree in the mall - this year I am going to have the boys each pick a toy for that.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? Multi-colored, although I've had gold in the past and I like them equally.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Wrapped whenever I get a chance! The sooner the better

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? Nope. I try to be very thoughtful, but it doesn't always work out for me, lol.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We do!

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Not really. I've funded meals or donated toys in the past, but not on a regular basis.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? White

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? Throughout the month

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? No

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We use a countdown calendar on the refrigerator...my son looks forward to it every morning

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? My job usually has a toy drive or a coat drive...one year we adopted a family
Old 11-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree?White. There is something so sparkly and magical about all white lights. I grew up with colored and loved them too, but the timeless elegance of all white appeals to me now as an adult. Eventually someday we will have two trees, one white, one colored.

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? wrapped and under as soon as the tree is up. It's part of the anticipation fun.

Right now, no. But once we have kids we plan to do that just so christmas doesn't get chaotic.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? We have an advent nativity on a mini tree that we read a book each day with part of the story than hang it up on the tree. We also get some kind of fun advent yearly. I'm also doing the 12 days of crafts-mas for my nephews this year

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? not specifically. We donate throughout the year
Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

Okay I have to remember all the questions...

Christmas lights -- usually coloured. I'm not organized enough to do something all in one colour.

Presents end up going under the tree as I wrap them. The kids are usually pretty good at leaving them alone... But then again most of them get wrapped that last night.

We but whatever we feel like for Christmas...I'm not organized enough to buy specific things (I'm sensing a trend here)

I've always wanted a Lego advent calendar but we never get one. Sometimes we get the chocolate ones for the kids but end up forgetting about them and days pass without eating the chocolates.

Charity traditions are something I want to start this year with my little family. We usually get things for the toy drive but other than that we have no traditions in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

White lights or colored on the tree? white

Presents wrapped and under the tree throughout the month or only on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day? throughout the month. That's part of the fun! Though I'm sure i"ll be regretting that decision with a 2 year old this year. LOL

Is there any rhyme or reason to your giving? Some people do something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need, etc. Do you do anything like that? Nope. I have a fun time trying to find the perfect gifts for the recipient. So, I usually try to find the best gifts that fit in my budget that I've set. I LOVE Christmas, and I would hate to have to limit it to only certain categories or a certain number of presents.

Do you do anything special as a count down or use an advent calendar? I did an advent calendar when Kendra was little, but I haven't used it in a few years. Maybe I should try it again this year for Chloe.

Do you have any charity minded traditions at Christmas time? Our church does a huge donation to the local women's shelter. So, we always choose an item off the tree and donate for that. We also just try to keep an eye out for people (friends, acquaintances, or just someone we've heard about) who has a need that we can help with.