Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default San Diego???

So, my husband's orders for Hawaii were pulled last week. He finally received his new orders today and it looks like we will be moving to San Diego. I have loved San Diego the few times I have been there, but am looking for more information. So share. What do YOU like to do in San Diego? Anyone lived there before? What are good cities/areas near there that you would suggest looking for houses in? Any other advice or tips you are willing to share would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I lived there back in 1993-1995 and we loved it...there are tons of things to do there...Sea World, LegoLand, Disney is right up the street, Universal Sudios, Hollywood. You are even a days drive to Vegas.....what base is he going to be stationed at?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
what base is he going to be stationed at?
I believe it is Naval Base San Diego...not 100% sure, we haven't really talked yet, he just texted to say he got orders to San Diego (we knew this might be an option so I have been researching for a few days).
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

there are lots of great places to live out there, but be warned the traffic can be terrible at times
Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There is officer housing in Pacific Beach area...that's where my brother lived for 6 years. They rented around there before they got into the officer housing, but OMGosh...rent is extremely expensive there. A lot of people move a little further east and some live as far north as Temecula (where I live).

There is SO much to do there. They better question is what can't you do there!!

If you want to know what to do around there, I suggest you go to Christine's blog: http://www.listgirl.com/
She lives there and gives a lot of fun things to do in the area and a lot of great places to eat.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yeah and on Debra's note, depending on your husband's rank, it could be a 2 year wait list for base housing...it was even that long when I was there back in 1993 ! I lived in Mira Mesa and moved to Vista when I ended up being a single parent...so yes I drove all the way from Vista to NAB Corando everyday for almost 2 years! But the cost of living was cheaper and of coarse gas was <$1 a gallon then!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

the wait list is still really long, but my brother is going to be living with us for awhile, so we can not even live on base. We are okay with that. My husband is worried about a long commute, but I am thinking he may just have to deal with it. Anyone know anything about Chula Vista, is it scary there (unsafe)?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been down there to go to Knott's Soak City and to concerts at the big ampitheater there. It didn't seem all that bad. Do you have kids? You can research the schools there if you do. I don't think it's terribly unsafe there...not a gang town anyway.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post

If you want to know what to do around there, I suggest you go to Christine's blog: http://www.listgirl.com/
She lives there and gives a lot of fun things to do in the area and a lot of great places to eat.
I totally second asking Christine for her opinion. She is Supertwinkle on SSD. I used to work down there in the 'land side" of LaJolla. I used to drive down from Del Mar. Probably look near Carlsbad and then down. The land side vs the shore side is a lot cheaper.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

ummm when I was there Chula Vista was NOT a safe place to live, but it may have changed over the years.....
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I do not live in San Diego but have family who live out that way. You may want to check these areas. Tierrasanta, Scripps Ranch, San Carlos, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain, Sabre Springs, Poway, La Jolla, University City, Del Mar, and Coronado.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramarie View Post
I do not live in San Diego but have family who live out that way. You may want to check these areas. Tierrasanta, Scripps Ranch, San Carlos, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain, Sabre Springs, Poway, La Jolla, University City, Del Mar, and Coronado.
Most of these areas are extremely expensive, even for an apartment.

You can do research on the cost of living in each of these areas. I'm not sure how much you get towards your rent each month. My brother even as an officer didn't get enough to cover his rent of a very tiny old home. That's why they grabbed the housing as soon as it was available.

Do some research on Chula Vista to see what their crime rate is. I would always prefer going more north and east rather than south towards the border. Can you guys come out and take a look at housing and the area?

I'm in Temecula which is an hour from San Diego...and even longer during traffic. I have many friends that commute every day though to SD. One takes a van pool. She's not in the Navy, but works for the Navy. She loves doing it that way though...she can sleep, read, or whatever. If she's going to need a vehicle that evening, she just drives down instead of taking the van pool. Temecula is a gorgeous community that was seriously hurt in the recession here. A lot of people lost their homes, so there are a lot of rentals now. You can rent a decent size house for the price of an apartment in SD.

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh Yes...Debra brings up a good point...van pools are really a big thing even around here where alot of people live between 30-60 mins from base.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Debra and Robin both mentioned my blog.
Here's the direct link to anything related to San Diego on my blog:
http://www.listgirl.com/search/label/SanDiego

I have friends in the military who live in Scripps Ranch, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Mira Mesa, etc. I think a 3 bedroom house would rent for around $1800-$2000/month in these areas. If you get closer to the coast, the cost goes up even more.