Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default WEN hair care

So I happened to be up late last night and I saw a tiny bit of the WEN hair care infomercial.

Have you seen it? Is that Melissa Gilbert? What did she do to herself? She looks weird.

Has anyone tried the WEN stuff?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I were made of money, I'd use WEN. I seriously ♥ it. I was so bummed when the sampler pack I picked up from QVC was finally emptied out.

That said, you can do the exact same thing with a 'cone' free conditioner or a paste made from baking soda/water and an apple cider vinegar rinse. Much less expensive and just as effective. I use 'cone' free conditioners now, haven't shampooed in nearly a year. My hair is healthier and more manageable than ever. And it doesn't look or smell dirty (unless it is ).
Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea what WEN is; I'm curious now and will have to check it out later. I'm sulfate and silicone-free, too. This is a good starting place. My hair has been so much less frizzy since I switched!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Melissa Gilbert looks weird because, like me, she got old :P
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Leila - so you don't use any shampoo but use a conditioner, instead?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Leila - so you don't use any shampoo but use a conditioner, instead?
There are a lot of blog posts on going 'poo free. I'm not so into it as I enjoy the squeaky clean feeling.

I have experimented with not washing my face so much, just using cold water to freshen up and redistribute the oils, and I have to say my sensitive winter skin likes it.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yup! My hair was dry, frizzy, snarly, gross. It's long too, so all those things=bad hair life. I changed things up when I got the Wen products and I'll never go back. I do the conditioner cleanse 2-3 times per week then once every two weeks or so I do a deep "cleanse' with the baking soda/water mix and apple cider vinegar to fully remove product build up. My stylist is amazed by how healthy my hair looks. Of course, she's also bothered that I won't let her use shampoo (I 'wash' before I go in and let her wet it down--that's all).
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starxlr8 View Post
There are a lot of blog posts on going 'poo free. I'm not so into it as I enjoy the squeaky clean feeling.

I have experimented with not washing my face so much, just using cold water to freshen up and redistribute the oils, and I have to say my sensitive winter skin likes it.
My hair feels just as 'squeaky' clean as it did with shampoo/conditioner. I just don't use drying shampoos to achieve it.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82

if you have a sally beauty supply near you, you can try Hair 1 hair care it is pretty much the same as WEN. It cost about $10 bucks and last for a month. I use it the hair one now and love it.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Okay - what I don't get is..if I use ANY conditioner, my hair becomes so limp. I have super fine straight hair...and I've never been able to use any at all. That just seems weird to use only that...

I've seen the wen commercials and never knew that it's all it really was.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I desperately wanted to love WEN, but it just didn't work for me. It really weighed my hair down. I have heat damaged hair, and have been looking for a miracle fix. I was bummed when I didn't fall head over heels in love with WEN!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wanna know more Leila....... and about wen too.........

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I don't know anything about wen haircare, but my comments are about shampoo-free.

I first heard about going shampoo-free back when I read a haircare book called Curly Girl. So I was sceptical but tried it. I don't feel it gave me more curl, but my hair looked fine going without shampoo. I didn't use shampoo and only used conditioner for about 3 months. Then I started using shampoo again and heck, I can't remember why.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE WEN!! It smells so good and my hair always feels like satin when I use it!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I went to field school (anthropology) they spent 3 weeks trying to convince me that this type of hair care is the WAY to go. They also tried to convince me that washing with dirt would really clean your hair .... You really have to meet archeologists -they are a different breed. Not for my super thin hair - Weighs it WAY down and makes it look super greasy

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I tried Wen also... I did find that it weighed my hair down. I didn't really see any difference, but then again my hair is really straight to begin with.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sulfates are in most shampoos and they're very drying, so they can make hair frizzy, dry, and coarse. That's especially true on people with curls, since hair oils have more trouble moving along the curly strands than straight ones. The drying factor is the argument for giving up shampoo. But if you give up sulfates, you also have to stop using silicones. Silicones are in a lot of conditioners and styling products. Silicones work by coating the hair, and many of them can only be removed from your hair by sulfates. (If you stop using sulfate-based shampoo but continue using silicones, you end up damaging your hair because the silicones build up.)

I gave up sulfates and silicones in September or October. My hair has gone from frizzy, dry, messy curls to nice, soft curls. I still use shampoo once a week, but it's an organic sulfate-free one. The rest of the time I use a light conditioner as my co-wash. Your hair still gets nice and clean, but it's because you do a hair and scalp massage with the co-wash, effectively using friction instead of sulfates to clean the hair. I'm sulfate/silicone free due to dryness, so I follow the cowash with a heavier conditioner and leave it in for a while.

I'm not sure how all of that compares to the WEN stuff, but it has been working really well for me. I've gotten more hair compliments since going sulfate/silicone free than in the 5 years before.

Darcy--I have no idea how (or if) going sulfate and silicone free would work on someone who can't condition. Many conditioners have protein, and protein weighs down superfine hair. I wonder if your problem with conditioners is the protein or if even protein-free conditioners would be too heavy. I don't think that sulfate and silicone free are the way to go for everyone. I've switched myself and my curly-haired 3 year old (whose hair was terribly dry and coarse pre-switch), but I still use sulfates and silicones on my 6-year old. He has straight hair that isn't bothered by them.

Last edited by rach3975; 01-19-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Melissa Gilbert looks weird because, like me, she got old :P
no, it's not that. Her mouth is weird. So I'm thinking she either had some sort of procedure. Her lips seem overly inflated.