Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default December 7th RQOTD

Christmas Parties! Do you get to go out for a night out with your SO? Or do you have a family celebration of some sort? Stay in and avoid parties?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are usually a couple of potlucks. And I go to the Rotary party with my husband. Outside of that, I don't go to parties.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been to 2 parties so far. But there were small. One a nice lovely dinner at my bosses house and the other with the women I do martial arts with (we wrapped presents for a domestic violence family we are sponsoring). I try to avoid at all costs any parties that are large, have loud music and/or alcohol.

Last weekend we went to a show (just the 3 of us) on the Irish Christmas. It was a wonderful music and dance performance. I like that better than a big 'party'.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No parties for me. About the closest thing that I'll be doing is attending a BBQ on friday as part of wedding reception. To be honest I'm not a big pre christmas person - whether its the weather or the fact there are no young ones around anymore, youngest is 23, I'm 27.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah... not so much. My work Christmas party is next week but we won't be going. My DH hates socializing and while I could go by myself, I won't. I like my coworkers a lot, just not sure I want to socialize with them.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DH's company has a Christmas party every year. We just went last night. Great food, great company, a crazy magic show, presentation of service awards, etc. DH came home with his 15 year award and a 19" TV (they raffle off gifts).

My job is having a party next week. I'm sad because our principal always hosted it and she retired last year. We are going on without her and doing it at a restaurant instead, but I will miss her and her awesome sangria.

My daughter has an annual sleepover Christmas party with her girlfriends. We've done it every year since she was in 2nd grade and she's in 7th this year. I was just creating invites for that. This year she wants an ugly Christmas sweater theme.

We have a small family party where we eat, play silly games and usually finish with watching The Grinch. I give out white elephant gifts for the games and we have a great time.

Funny that my first thought was 'no, we don't do any parties' Then I realized how much we actually do.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We are hosting two parties at our house and are invited to a couple of others. I'd love to go to a fancy party with my husband, but neither of our employers offer those events.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We have a work one. I sometimes go and sometimes don't. I went this year.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're not big party people. DH and I both have potlucks for work that we'll go to, but none of the spouses attend. We're just as happy to have it that way; we both hate making small talk with strangers, and with a DS on the autism spectrum and no local family, babysitters are hard.

My daughter's birthday is right after Christmas, so family will visit for that. We'll do a little party, but just cake and presents with everyone visiting; her friend party happens after the holidays.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have family parties only. My husband owns his own business and doesn't host a Christmas party (I wish he would though! I never get to see who he works with!), and my work has a Christmas party but it's during a lunch hour (we go out to eat) so it's part of our regular work day. I kind of wish we did have a party to go to just the two of us!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 12-07-2014, 10:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No fancy parties. Sean and I do try to get a date night in sometime in December.

We have family parties, Sean's mom & dad have 13 siblings between the two of them, so there is a family event for each side, one was yesterday and one is after Christmas. We did an ornament exchange with the girls on my MIL's side of the family today. My bunco group is doing an ornament exchange on Friday night, I'm almost partied out! LOL!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We go to his work party, beyond that, nope. we are homebodies.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Our Anni is in late december though, so we do go on a date then if we can find a sitter (which luckily we did this year!)

Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a big party person... we just had a quick party at the end of our planning meeting for J's homeschool community that meets every Tuesday... we did a White Elephant gift exchange and it was just me...

DH has two work parties - one for radio, which the last few years he volunteered to work radio so the regular night guy could come to the party... this year is he is thinking of going - not sure when that is... I know it's in January sometime.

Then for DH's "real job"... that party isn't until Jan 31st!!!! Geez, can it still be termed a holiday party???? That one is a real snooze... but have to go to be "seen" by management... and DH should be recognized for being there 10 years.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Not really.

My kids have plenty to go to though - After School Care, Cubs, etc - none of which parents need to go to.

My work has a Christmas lunch but it's always on a Friday and I don't work Fridays. Can't say I'm disappointed about missing it - $60 + drinks this year which I think this a tad pricey.

My husband works for himself and is the only employee, so not much point having a party there!! However, we use the excuse of 'work Christmas party' for the four of us to go out for a family dinner, and claim it as a work expense .
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I scrapbook with a group of girls and we have a small dinner party every year. Sometimes we have a party with the neighbors (sometimes not) and then there's usually a couple random parties with other friends and co-workers. I'm always enjoy them but could live without them too.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No, no pre-Christmas parties here too.
At work, some co-workers and I try to make it cosy, but that's it.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We go to my DH work party every year.... it's not really a party, more just a dinner and done.
Myself and/or my 2nd oldest brother usually host Christmas Eve dinner every year.... a "schmorgish board" of foods (kinda luck a pot luck only we make all the food...lol), and on Christmas Day we spend the afternoon / evening at my oldest brothers house for dinner and gift exchange.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

No, we don't do parties...neither one of us is a social butterfly. Our anniversary is the 18th (10 this year), so we generally go out on a date night the weekend before or after that, depending on when we have someone to watch Rachel.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are both self employed so no work parties for us… We do usually do something with both sides of our families, but nothing is planned yet. It's been a busy year.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh, no no no - no parties for me! We are moving back 'home' next year though, so will have family get togethers. Maybe. lol

Donna
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We usually do not have any parties to attend, but this year we were invited to an Operation Helping Hands cookie decorating party. Everyone brought kids' socks and underwear to donate to an adoption ministry our church partners with.